*** TENET *** (Christopher Nolan)

137,586 Views | 1324 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by utah, get me two
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2020/04/26/box-office-tenet-must-save-hollywood-wonder-woman-robert-pattinson-john-david-washington-imax-chris-nolan/
hunter2012
AG
If anyone can jump start cinema it's Chris.
TCTTS
AG
Don't get your hopes up, but maybe we get lucky...

TCTTS
AG
Never mind...

TCTTS
AG
For the record, I still say we don't see a trailer 'til early June.
TCTTS
AG
Quote:

Insiders expect that the studio will make a decision within a week about whether to hold "Tenet's" planned debut on July 17 or push it back deeper into 2020. That's because Warner Bros. will need to start revving up its marketing campaign for the film, and it won't want to spend tens of millions of promotional dollars only to have to move it.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/christopher-nolan-tenet-movie-theaters-reopening-july-coronavirus-1234599723/
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Here's hoping. Two months is a long time, and re-opening of business has already started.

This would be such a cool movie to go back to theaters for. Man, I didn't realize how much I miss the movie theater until right now.

I believe the last one I saw was Bad Boys For Life in January. So by July, that will be 6 months without going to a movie. I can say with absolute certainty that it's the longest gap I've ever had in my life of not going to a movie.
TCTTS
AG
Same.
PatAg
AG
I'll go with sanitary wipes tied to any bit of exposed flesh if I have to
Im seeing this movie in theater day 1
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
This article claims a June 1st deadline for WB to decide, as opposed to the "this week" claim we heard a few days ago. I have no idea which is more accurate...

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/05/tenet-theaters-reopen-summer-movies-chistopher-nolan-box-office-1202230166/
TCTTS
AG
Officially referencing Tenet as a "quantum cold war" just sounds so incredibly cool, in the best, most Nolan way imaginable...

TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
I may or may not have been casually researching quantum entanglement and the like the past few months for a sci-fi/time travel project of my own. No matter what, this looks to be way different than the concept I'm working on, so I'm "safe," but man, I'm more excited now than ever to see what Nolan is cooking up. While Inception and Interstellar examine and play with time in unique ways (heck, Dunkirk too even, in a way), Nolan has yet to do straight up time travel, and now everything he's ever done suddenly feels like it's been building to this. To get the hint that he's approaching it with a deeply scientific, quantum-whatever bent... man, that's just the icing on the cake.

I need a new trailer yesterday. And now it appears as if Nolan may actually be able to make that happen.
MGS
An interesting concept poorly executed in a Star Trek: Enterprise story line.
double aught
AG
Yep, that was my first thought. The "Temporal Cold War"
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

I need a new trailer movie yesterday
I'm just ready to go see a new movie in a theater. Now. This one kept its original release date, correct?
TCTTS
AG
For now, yes.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I don't know what I'm more excited for, this or the final season of Dark.

Furthermore, I'm simultaneously impatient but also relieved that there is no new trailer for either, as I want to go in as clean as possible.
bobinator
AG
omg i didn't even consider this and 'Dark' being around the same time. My brain can't handle it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Exactly. Between the two of these, my brain will be mush. So ready for it.

TCTTS
AG
TCTTS said:

I may or may not have been casually researching quantum entanglement and the like the past few months for a sci-fi/time travel project of my own. No matter what, this looks to be way different than the concept I'm working on, so I'm "safe," but man, I'm more excited now than ever to see what Nolan is cooking up. While Inception and Interstellar examine and play with time in unique ways (heck, Dunkirk too even, in a way), Nolan has yet to do straight up time travel, and now everything he's ever done suddenly feels like it's been building to this. To get the hint that he's approaching it with a deeply scientific, quantum-whatever bent... man, that's just the icing on the cake.

I need a new trailer yesterday. And now it appears as if Nolan may actually be able to make that happen.

Ok, so I take part of this back...

https://www.slashfilm.com/tenet-time-travel-robert-pattinson/
bobinator
AG
Eh, I think that might be splitting hairs on what 'time travel' means. In the trailer they're pretty clearly moving forward and backward in time.

Maybe they can forward/reverse time, but can't jump between points in time, if that makes sense.

Like time is a vcr, not a dvd/digital.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I think you're right. Good analogy.
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

April 10, 10:16 a.m. PST // 6:16 p.m. GMT

Suddenly he lunges for his broken computer. "Literally just before this, I was trying to find my notes about the movie, as well, and that, like"

It takes a moment for me to realize what is happening. What notes? What movie? It turns out he means Tenet. It turns out he means the notes he wrote down last year, back when he was starting the film. "When I was looking at the notes," Pattinson says, "I was thinking, 'Oh yeah, these are, like, pretty good notes.' And that was what all that ****'s about. It's funny, 'cause I totally forgot, like, I'd totally forgotten a lot of the character stuff. Have you seen the movie, by the way?"
"No."

"I haven't seen it, either."

"Do you want to tell me what it's about?"

"Even if I had seen it, I genuinely don't know if I'd be able to I was just thinking, I just called up my assistant 20 minutes ago: 'What the **** do I say? I have no idea.' "

"What did your assistant say?"

"She's a lot cleverer than I am. Like, she went to college and stuff. And I'm just like saying all this stuff, and I was like, 'Oh God, no. I can't even bull**** my way through this.' "

For a minute he tries, though. "This thing, it's so insane," he says. He says they had a crew of around 500 people, and 250 of them would all fly together, just hopping planes to different countries. "And in each country there's, like, an enormous set-piece scene, which is like the climax of a normal movie. In every single country." He says otherwise jaded and hard-bitten crew members would come in on their days off to watch Nolan's special effects because they were so crazy. He apologizes for not being able to say more. He just doesn't really know what to say.

A few days later I call Christopher Nolan himself, to ask if Pattinson was ****ing with me about not knowing the plot of the movie he had just finished.

"The interesting thing with Rob is, he's slightly f/cking with you," Nolan says, laughing a reserved English laugh. "But he's also being disarmingly honest. It's sort of both things at once. When you see the film, you'll understand. Rob's read on the script was extremely acute. But he also understood the ambiguities of the film and the possibilities that spin off in the mind around the story. And so both things are true. Yes, he's f/cking with you, because he had a complete grasp of the script. But a complete grasp of the script, in the case of Tenet, is one that understands and acknowledges the need for this film to live on in the audience's mind, and suggest possibilities in the audience's mind. And he was very much a partner in crime with that."

April 10, 10:37 a.m. PST // 6:37 p.m. GMT

Pattinson: [trying again to describe the plot of 'Tenet'] I forgot a lot of things at the beginning of the movie. I was so obsessed with watching Christopher Hitchens debates. You know Christopher Hitchens?

GQ: Sure.

A lot of my character stuff, I was trying to do a Chris Hitchens impersonation, and I completely forgot that I was doing that until I saw my notes. I'm so curious. I mean, I literally haven't seen a frame of this movie.

Now I'm picturing Christopher Hitchens as a time traveler.

He's not a time traveler. There's actually no time traveling. [laughs] That's, like, the one thing I'm approved to say.

That's all of the Tenet-related stuff. If interested, here's the rest of the interview, in which The Batman is discussed slightly...

https://www.gq.com/story/robert-pattinson-on-batman-tenet-isolation-june-cover
Saxsoon
AG
I think time distortions would not qualify as time travel.
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
TCTTS
AG

I can't read the article because of the paywall, but apparently it's pretty misleading. A lot of people saying it's a causing a lot of confusing and that theaters (along with a ton of other stuff) CAN be open in LA by July, even with this new order, which allows for a gradual re-oping over the course of these three months. These people - from the LA Times to LA County - need to get their sh/t together and get the messaging on point...
bobinator
AG
I think if you can either move backward in time, or move time around you backward, you're time traveling.

I think that's my standard. If you can relive/do over/etc the same moment again, you've time traveled.
PatAg
AG
To me time traveling requires a machine, and you aren't just reliving the previous couple minutes or whatever.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Pattinson is 100% splitting hairs with the "no time travel".
bobinator
AG
Eh, I definitely don't think a machine is required. You'd definitely say Hiro in Heroes could time travel and he just had to think about where he wanted to go.
Decay
AG
It's not inaccurate to say Interstellar was about time traveling because they were near the black hole. Or messed with events in the past... Even though they didn't "time travel" in the traditional sci fi sense. Or even more obliquely, all movies are about time travel, because every one exists and time elapses in them.

Regardless, it's gonna be great so nit picking about the terminology seems like a nice way to pass the time until it premiers. We don't have anything else to discuss about it.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I think that's just their opinion based off of not being fully "open", not that the release can't happen at all. Rather, I think they're saying it's not going to happen because the studios don't want to release big blockbusters when part of the economy is still shut down, even if theaters are open.
TCTTS
AG
Right. Yeah, I get that.
bobinator
AG
Yeah interstellar is a hard one.

My official ruling is no time travel. They could view the past, but in the universe of the movie gravity (and love) transcends time so they aren't truly in the past, They're manipulating something that is both in the past and the present.

And the past is obviously the key. Just traveling to the future doesn't count unless you come back.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.