*** TRUE DETECTIVE Season 2 ***

253,391 Views | 1788 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by TX scallywAG
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No burners are not untraceable. Not if you know the number.

Burners are simply prepaid usually in cash and the carrier has no personal info on the owner. But if you know the number you can trace it.

It's not as traceable as iPhones etc. which use many means including IP wifi network and GPS. But a burner with basic cell service and SMS text can still be traced by simple old school triangulation of cell tower hits. That'll get you within close proximity at least. 100 to 1000 feet depending on location.

That's why even people who use burners and really don't want to be found throw them away after shirt use and switch to another. Hence the term burner. They use the prepaid minutes and the toss them even though they can be reloaded.

Did nobody watch the wire!??!?
ItsA&InotA&M
I was thinking the bad guys would call Velcoro, using Woodrugh's phone, telling him they had Woodrugh and that if they wanted to see him alive again, bring the contracts with all the signatures etc. I know, thin..
Capstone
AG
... because two veteran cops wouldn't demand proof of life before attending an obvious set up meeting?
Ol Jock 99
AG
So now we are are arguing about a theoretical meeting which hasn't been introduced in the show? Just checking.
BassCowboy33
quote:

Burners are simply prepaid usually in cash and the carrier has no personal info on the owner. But if you know the number you can trace it.

It's not as traceable as iPhones etc. which use many means including IP wifi network and GPS. But a burner with basic cell service and SMS text can still be traced by simple old school triangulation of cell tower hits. That'll get you within close proximity at least. 100 to 1000 feet depending on location.

That's why even people who use burners and really don't want to be found throw them away after shirt use and switch to another. Hence the term burner. They use the prepaid minutes and the toss them even though they can be reloaded.

I got this info from The Wire. They had to be exceedingly specific in order to get those. That's the main issue. If they have TK's cell, it isn't without reason that they could find a way to trace it; however, due to the illegality of such a trace (without government approval), I'm betting he uses it to try and set up a meeting. No need to attract any more undue attention.
BassCowboy33
quote:
So now we are are arguing about a theoretical meeting which hasn't been introduced in the show? Just checking.

Haters gonna hate.
MW03
AG
quote:

Read this with this playing in the background...

Capstone
AG
Arguing? I think our definition is vastly different. A possible theory for the final episode was proposed and I only stated why I thought it would be unlikely.

I love the show and wait to watch until there are the fewest distractions in the house. It's sometimes hard enough to follow when there isn't other noise to contend with.
Wheatables02
AG
They have to be on and triangulation only narrowed down to tens of meters.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:

I got this info from The Wire. They had to be exceedingly specific in order to get those. That's the main issue. If they have TK's cell, it isn't without reason that they could find a way to trace it; however, due to the illegality of such a trace (without government approval), I'm betting he uses it to try and set up a meeting. No need to attract any more undue attention.

The Wire was also set in 2002-2008....things change.

and the other issue on The Wire was not the tracing as much...it was getting the warrants to set up wiretaps....

thats different - these are corrupt cops and they don't need/want a wiretap...they just want a location. they can get that easily if they really want to. just one call into the carrier or bribe someone on the inside there. and even a warrant is probabaly easy for them to do in their city.

But yes, they could simply use the phones to set a trap.

I wasn't really talking about the how/what/wherr/when/why of how they would trap them - just saying technology wise those burners can be traced easily.

mhayden
quote:
... because two veteran cops wouldn't demand proof of life before attending an obvious set up meeting?

One cop just walked into a party "undercover" with about half a dozen people that should have recognized her and likely killed her.

One cop killed a guy because some local wannabe mobster said he heard from a source that he raped his wife.

One cop just walked into what he actually called the other two cops and admitted he knew was a trap.

Despite the name of the show, it's not really centered around smart and realistic detective work.
Buck Nasty
AG
Sarah Koenig's voice/delivery comes back so vividly.
HtownAg92
AG
quote:
hysterical.....and says all you need to know about the dialogue this season.

those were not even the worst or most obvious quotes.

[url=http://truedetectivequotes.blogspot.com/2015/07/thats-one-off-bucket-list-mexican.html][/url]

quote:
That's one off the bucket list. Mexican standoff with actual Mexicans.

You know me. You just didn't know you did.

Crime exists contingent on human desire.

Some people can't handle the deep trip.

Sometimes a good beating provokes personal growth.

Innuendo is nobody's friend.

We get the world we deserve.

I always saw a difference between a ***** and a pimp. A ***** can still have integrity.

Semyon: There's a certain stridency at work here. I'm going to put it off to you getting blasted.
Velcoro: Oh, franklyI'm apoplectic.
Semyon: I'm feeling a little apoplectic myself.
BassCowboy33
I've had numerous people tell me that on second viewing of the first seven episodes, the whole plot line falls into place. Apparently, much like a Memento or Usual Suspects. We can only hope this has one of those dynamite endings. I actually like the unusual dialogue and one liners. It creates a sense of old 90's cop films mixed with modern violence and noir.
ChipFTAC01
AG
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/08/03/true_detective_season_two_a_guide_to_the_plot_of_this_confusing_season.html

Pretty much a point by point breakdown for any of our fellow Texagers that are still lost. Nothing new that hasn't been fleshed out in this thread I don't think.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

so assuming the next episode starts with Paul in limbo (ala Ray) and a Conway Twitty impersonator.....song nominations????

how about:

It's only Make Believe - ha!!!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!

(admission I got the idea from a review)
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
apparently only one video per post...

here is another

or
I'd Love to Lay You Down - ironic

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
and lastly....

or his cover of Three Times a Lady - lol

Southlake
It's ok, I'm out of your league anyway...
TresPuertas
AG
quote:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/08/03/true_detective_season_two_a_guide_to_the_plot_of_this_confusing_season.html

Pretty much a point by point breakdown for any of our fellow Texagers that are still lost. Nothing new that hasn't been fleshed out in this thread I don't think.

Thanks. That helped. Some stuff in there that I never put together. Like the two kids from the robbery are likely Casperes killers
cr0wbar
AG
quote:

thanks Chip- this helped immensely. I felt like children and blue diamonds were introduced while I might've been noddnig of. This article also puts faces to names.

NOW I THINK I GET IT
W
AG
it will be fun to see who survives the finale. I think Frank's wife is going to be involved in a significant plot twist. And the Mexicans will show up again too. Also wonder if any of Ani's or Ray's family members will be drawn into the violence as well
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Bloodbath. No one survives. Perfect show for it cuz none of the characters are kept season to season.

Only the bird man lives and we find out who that was. Michael Keaton in disguise.
DannyDuberstein
AG
With the help of closed captioning, I've managed to follow through the mumbling dialogue. But I do find myself having to occassionally pause and check which character they are referring to in a conversation. That said, this season's largest problem is that they tried to cram 10 pounds of **** into an 8 pound/episode bag. That + I think Vince Vaughn was a huge casting mistake.
Bunk Moreland
Alright, guns up, let's do this. Rayyyyyyy
Vellllcooooorrrooooooo!
agmatt06
AG
Don't F with Ray...
zgood10
AG
It's a trap!
M.C. Swag
AG
He drops his gun AND the recorder AND THEN someone steps on it?....
Complete Idiot
That escalated quickly.
M.C. Swag
AG
fyi, tear gas would practically incapacitate someone if they were standing dead center of the cloud and inhaled even a sniff of it.
chase128
AG
So who dies now
zgood10
AG
Looks like Ray
agmatt06
AG
Ray when he's a freaking dumbass and tries to go see his son.
Ramrod
AG
quote:
fyi, tear gas would practically incapacitate someone if they were standing dead center of the cloud and inhaled even a sniff of it.

You're trying too hard at this point, just relax and enjoy the finale.
chase128
AG
Black suburban....

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.