*** TRUE DETECTIVE Season 2 ***

253,295 Views | 1788 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by TX scallywAG
zgood10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The f dude! Run!
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
quote:
fyi, tear gas would practically incapacitate someone if they were standing dead center of the cloud and inhaled even a sniff of it.

You're trying too hard at this point, just relax and enjoy the finale.
im sorry, this is terrible. I haven't said a word for 6 weeks, holding out hope...but the story is a garbled mess. I thought at the very least it would be above the run of the mill cliches of popular Hollywood. This is my opinion.
mazzag
AG
He didn't inhale.
chase128
AG
Bye Frank
chase128
AG
That was dumb
zgood10
AG
Lame death
chase128
Quinn
AG
As a hater who thought the 7th episode was great, the finale was a terrible finale. Maybe Ani & Ray's kid will grow up to marry Paul's kid.
JD Shellnut
AG
A whole lot of.....meh.
zgood10
AG
Well as excited as I was about this season with the casting and everything...

At least CF was good
W
AG
wow, that was an awesome finale.

it looked like Frank and Ray were going to make it, but things don't always go as planned.

good to see that Nails survived -- Frank's wife too, and Ani
rjamizon
Good doesn't always win. But Ray bested his demons.

I liked it. Best **** on TV this year.
mhayden
Fun little show but tried to be way too much and had a 10 cent story.

I think a perfect way the finale summarized how the writing in this show was -- in previous episodes we were expected to make giant leaps of faith on how things went down, but in this episode we take 10 minutes to watch Frank go see the Jews and then the Middle Eastern Mobsters, both things that were setup in the previous episode and could have just been assumed.

... And Frank noticing the transponder. These guys are such careful criminals, except when the plot needs them to be buffoons.

... And the black chief basically saying "I'm not going to confirm anything because you're probably wearing a wire.... eh, scratch that i'm going to confirm a bunch of stuff because, why not?"... If your show needs scenes like this to explain what went on in the previous episodes, then your writing was bad.

... And the scene at the orphan brother's house... Boom bird bask. Boom pictures of the villians. Boom riot shells WITH A MAGNIFYING GLASS ON THE PART OF THE BOX THAT SAYS "NON LETHAL". Good grief. Was that scene out of Naked Gun?

An obviously impossibly high standard in comparison, but you watch a movie like LA Confidential and you see how well something like this can be done. If LA Confidential is an A, True Detective Season 2 is a D+.
Complete Idiot
After all that dialogue and jumbled story and extraneous characters - I honestly kinda wanted a feel good ending. I at least deserved some soft landing after that ride.

If it had been great all season then I'd accept the make-you-think or fill in the blank ending, like the Sopranos. But this season deserved something a little more cliche and oddly enough, I found myself wanting that at the end - Frank and ray succeed.

****ing Burris lives.
AgLaw
AG
quote:
Good doesn't always win. But Ray bested his demons.

I liked it. Best **** on TV this year.

Agree. Nothing was going to compare to the unexpected greatness of Season 1, but this shaw was still great in its own right.
Kashchei
AG
Haters gonna hate. Very good finale.
Quinn
AG
For those that enjoyed it, what aspects did you like about it? I'm honestly curious since I'm on the opposite side of things.
mhayden
quote:
For those that enjoyed it, what aspects did you like about it? I'm honestly curious since I'm on the opposite side of things.

While I think it was rather stupid how he ended up out in the desert with the mexicans, I thought the scene of him walking back and re-living those along the way that tried to keep him down was pretty well done.

Ditto the opening scene with them in bed discussing their demons.
Quinn
AG
I did like the conversation with his wife before he collapsed. Not a fan of the rest of it in particular.
mazzag
AG
I liked the scene in the train station. I also liked the ladies' wrath against the guilty. That's probably my favorite part.

And Nails! What a guy!
chase128
AG
quote:
Haters gonna hate. Very good finale.

Not really
mazzag
AG
It's not stupid about the Mexicans. He thought he could burn their gravy train and leave town without paying them? That was dumb.
spag_ag03
Terrible finale. Rest of the season wasn't much better.

It did make me appreciate all of the amazing TV we've been lucky enough to get over the past ten or fifteen years though. It's rare these days to see a show go really wrong.
Buck Nasty
AG
The Russians weren't going to allow that gravy train
Objective Aggie
AG
Awful
mhayden
quote:
It's not stupid about the Mexicans. He thought he could burn their gravy train and leave town without paying them? That was dumb.

It was stupid because it was a completely under-developed part of the story.

* Random mexican dude walks into the bar and basically demands "his share".

* They go looking for the chick that pawned the hard drive -- bam, mexican posse shows up.

* He's about to make it out (though taking his sweet time in doing so) and -- bam, mexicans kidnap him and take him out to the desert.

I understand the why, but much like the rest of the story it seems like random caricature characters were inserted to clean up gaping holes in the plot. If you want to do a noir type show and have your cliche characters that is great... but it doesn't work if you don't take the time to flesh our the characters and instead just drop them in for 5 minutes every 3rd episode to move the plot along.

The mayor's son -- one of the characters that gained the most and was significantly involved in all the bad **** that happened -- I think had two lines in the whole season?

If you want to be a show about the main characters and their deeper struggles, then be about the characters -- but you have to flesh them out and make them interesting.

If you want to be a show about what true detective work is like, then do so -- but then you can't have scenes that seem to be pulled from '24'.

If you want to be a show about a interwoven, intriguing mystery (like the aforementioned LA Confidential), great -- but then you can't have integral characters to the mystery be so devoid of character (or lines for that matter).

The show couldn't decide which one it wanted to be, and consequently all parts were lacking.
HtownAg92
AG
They sure didn't lay on the "nothing can stop us now" / speaking too soon plot cliche too thick did they? Hell, even the Simpsons made a joke out of that one, twenty years ago.

AgLaw
AG
quote:

This season was a throwback to the noir films of the fifties. The story, the acting, the style of filming. Complicated characters who skirt the line between right and wrong with nearly every decision. All hallmarks of noir like The Maltese Falcon and neo-noir films like Chinatown and LA Confidential. I thought they did a great job of capturing that style of film.

Although it had a somewhat familiar feel because of this, the leads were great, with Collin Farrell knocking his character out of the park.

I have mixed emotions about the ending because I wanted Frank and Ray to make it, but as noted above, sometimes the good guys don't always win.
FancyKetchup14
AG
quote:
I enjoyed both the series and the finale because A) it brought a ton of suspense, B) I think the show runners did a fine job of pulling emotions out of the viewers (at least it did for me), and C) there was a ton of drama - which at the end of it all, this is what the show is. Deaths in finales sometimes make a show better with how the death goes down. I wish CF's would have been a little more glorified but I loved VV's ending. I also would have liked a happier ending but I take comfort hoping what RM told the reporter gets out to the mainstream.

Like many others, I tried my best to go into this season not comparing it to season 1 because I figured they would be so vastly different with the anthology format that NP is going for. I enjoyed the fact we had 3 different cops, all with their own personal demons haunting them. I liked our perspective of the gangster trying to get clean. And crime stories like we had this season intrigue the hell out of me. Say what you want about the acting, dialogue, what have you; but the only real weak spot I saw for the majority of the series was VV...who in my opinion made it all up in the last 2 episodes. If they take one thing away from this season I hope they go into season 3 with one director for the entire season, and instead of four main characters we get 3.

A lot of people here couldn't get behind this season for whatever reason, but I really enjoyed it and looked forward to the past 8 Sunday nights.
W
AG
I liked the role of the woman with the scars -- she ended up being a key player in the last episode -- getting Ani out of the country.

and Ray & his son at the end along with the paternity results
mazzag
AG
I feel like the sad singer in the bar was VV daughter. Not that she knew who he was. But he knew her.
mazzag
AG

quote:
I understand the why, but much like the rest of the story it seems like random caricature characters were inserted to clean up gaping holes in the plot. If you want to do a noir type show

This has met your standards.

mid90
AG
Garbage. Absolute ****ing garbage.

Velcoro takes out 2 private military guys by running from tree to tree and popping out to shoot them in the head. Goes from 1 against 5 to 1 against 3. Seems to be working pretty great. Then he just jumps out in front of the last 3 guys? What the ****?

And knifed in the desert by some Mexicans who've shown up all of 3 times the entire show? **** that noise.

I'd already resigned myself that at least 1 of Frank, Bezerrides, and Velcoro weren't gonna make it. But dammit have them go out in meaningful ways, or at least not ridiculous ways.

Wish I hadn't wasted my time on this season.
FancyKetchup14
AG
quote:
I liked the role of the woman with the scars -- she ended up being a key player in the last episode -- getting Ani out of the country.

and Ray & his son at the end along with the paternity results

This. I'm also going to hold onto the idea that the baby with Jordan was VV's....makes me feel a little better about the ending.
jschroeder
Was the "you can't act" line supposed to be an attempt at self awareness by the show?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.