*** TRUE DETECTIVE Season 2 ***

253,356 Views | 1788 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by TX scallywAG
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
the season could have used a little more interaction between Frank and Ani -- they only had one scene together and it was very, very short
bangobango
AG
I think the story would've been a lot better if they'd eliminated Woodrugh and maybe even VV and just focused on CF and RM.
Objective Aggie
AG
The four main characters were fine. Maybe do away with VV's wife taking so much screen time. Or Rick Springfield. Or Ani's hippie dad. Or Collin F.'s redheaded son and ex-wife. Or Woodrough's trailer trash mom.
Nagler
AG
Maybe there can actually be some detecting in season 3 of True Detective.
Bunk Moreland
hopefully season 3 will take place as they are doing the detective work, and not necessarily becoming a part of the investigation themselves. Hopefully it will take place in Seattle where it will rain in every single scene.

Hopefully they'll have a huge campaign where they tell us to keep watching until the season finale when we find out the killer.

Hopefully they'll then take a dump on the audience and say "tune in next year for season 4 when we reveal the killer!"
gomerschlep
AG
Is Season 3 a sure thing?
Quinn
AG
quote:
No. HBO has said that they are open to doing another season, but nothing as been announced or even rumored, really. The prestige of the series took a decent hit this year, so it's not a lock that it will be back for season 3.
FancyKetchup14
AG
quote:
quote:
No. HBO has said that they are open to doing another season, but nothing as been announced or even rumored, really. The prestige of the series took a decent hit this year, so it's not a lock that it will be back for season 3.
For some reason I thought it was for sure going for 3 seasons. I know NP has like 9 screenplays written for the show...not that it means anything if the quality is garbage but I guess I was thinking out loud.
gomerschlep
AG
I could see it not happening.
TCTTS
AG
DannyDuberstein
AG
I picture hell as having to watch endless episodes of Friends while sitting next to a fat ginger that is my half-rapist "stepson".
agdaddy04
AG
99.99% his son
DannyDuberstein
AG
I know, but if Velcoro had to place a bet during that scene, it would have been that he was sitting next to his half-rapist stepson.
agdaddy04
AG
True
The Devil
quote:
I picture hell as having to watch endless episodes of Friends while sitting next to a fat ginger that is my half-rapist "stepson".

Southlake
Velcoro was sure he was his son from the beginning. had to cause he wanted someone to love
Guitarsoup
AG
I just wish it was my eyes that were burnt out with acid in episode 1.
bobeag
AG
What happened to the diamonds Frank got from diamond merchant? Did he have them in suit coat when he was stabbed?
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
What happened to the diamonds Frank got from diamond merchant? Did he have them in suit coat when he was stabbed?

Yes, that's why he didn't want to give the suit up. He was willing to give up the cash for his life, because he still had the diamonds. When they asked for the suit, he was ****ed.
Potcake
AG
quote:
quote:

Yes, that's why he didn't want to give the suit up. He was willing to give up the cash for his life, because he still had the diamonds. When they asked for the suit, he was ****ed.

Weren't they going to drive off with the money, they were getting in the Suburban, until he bowed up and said he should get a ride for one mil? And then he put the cherry on top by going after the dude. Granted he could have died from the elements but I thought the bravado got him whacked.

Unless they knew the diamonds were in the suit and were going to take him out anyway.
agdaddy04
AG
When he asked for a ride they asked for the suit. That's when he went after the guy and got stabbed.
Ragoo
AG
quote:
I just wish it was my eyes that were burnt out with acid in episode 1.
Why? I liked this season.
Gig-Em2003
cr0wbar
AG
Someone mentioned much earlier in the thread: True Detective became 'self aware'. It felt like a Jimmy Fallon parody of itself.

Hope this season moves them back to a 2 person non convoluted story line for TD3. That was just too much for 8.5 hours of Television.
Objective Aggie
AG
One thing that does not get enough discussion:

the ridiculousness of how intertwined everything is.

Let's see:
Ani's dad had a picture of the victim, the mayor, and Rick Springfield as kids
Ani's sister was linked into the private party prostitutes even though most were Eastern Europeans
Woodrow's lover friend from Black Mountain just happens to now work security for Catalyst?
The guy who killed Caspere turned out to have watched him murder his parents, though he fathered his sister, and he stole the family jewels (literally here) and now woks on a movie set funded by Caspere
The jewel heist back in 92 featured the exact same characters as we have now - - Caspere, Burris, the police chief, and the guy who got shot in the raid.
The police chief shows up at the mega millionaire orgy with the State AG and the most Texan CEO of unnamed oil company

I could go on.
Southlake
Yeah, as time goes by, I've come to realize how really stupid this show was.

As it turns out, I only really liked the character study of the three main characters. The rest pretty much sucked.

I'm not fooling myself any longer.
20ag07
The future of this show is interesting. HBO typically renews series very early each season (most shows that get greenlit are renewed around the 1st or 2nd ep of their current season.). The fact that they haven't yet indicates HBO is clearly taking meetings with both interested stars and showrunners to decide how to proceed going forward. If you're Pizzalotto, you have to feel uncomfortable. If you're an agent thinking about placing your star in this show, you have to be bargaining for a better writer with less control.

The most interesting theory is to get ***inaga back and kick Pizzalotto to the curb. If I'm HBO, I'm begging ***inaga and Woody Harrelson to come back and follow the American Horror Story/ Ryan Murphy model of fairly consistent casts in anthology series(even though McConaughey is unattainable at this point.). That's more intriguing than a likely downgraded cast from this current season working under Pizzalotto for S3.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Though I don't totally disagree with this I think you have to keep NP. His writing is what set the show apart from anything else on tv during the past 5 years. That being said, I think a struggle the producers have is finding a director for the entirety of the 8 episodes for a potential season 3, that can also put up with NP's controlling behavior.

That being said, everything I've read has said that HBO's president has essentially put the ball in NP's court and if he wants to do another season it's up to him. My ideal season 3 is a NP storyline, with a solid director for all the episodes and a 3 character base to play off of.
TCTTS
AG
You must have missed it last week when HBO's president said publicly that he had already told Pizzolatto to call him whenever he's ready to do season three. Sure, there's no way HBO gives him free reign again, and they're probably better off going with someone else at this point, but the situation isn't as dire as you may think. They're just taking their time because, unlike a lot of HBO's shows, this doesn't have to an every year thing. Same as with Curb Your Enthusiasm and Larry David, HBO is basically at the mercy of whenever Pizzollatto thinks he has it in him to give it another run. Sure, they could wrangle it away from him, but it's better to let him quit first.
TCTTS
AG
Sorry, didn't read your post before responding, Winchester. And yeah, that would be my ideal situation as well.
TCTTS
AG
My guess is Pizzolatto comes back for season three, but with more oversight, and hopefully one, single director to help mold it. And they'll definitely take their time. I'd bet just about anything we don't see True Detective in 2016, with season three returning to its original January slot in 2017. After season three, Pizzolatto will act only as executive producer, and they'll open the show up to all kinds of writers/directors, and it'll be a yearly thing from 2017 on, with different "teams" each year.
Quad Dog
AG
I agree with all the posters saying season 2 exposed the weaknesses of season 1. Luckily season 1 had MM and WH to make up the difference. The two seasons had so much in common:

• The crazy stuff CF and VV said was the same crazy stuff MM said, you just expected MM's character to say it so it worked.
  • A shoot out action scene about halfway through the season.
  • A break into a house to get evidence that would never be allowed into a court trial.
  • A killer you first meet in an interview early in the season.
  • Using the location as a character.
Season 1 played around with time well, had better actors, better characters, and less stuff going on. But a lot of the complaints about season 2, season 1 had too.
Complete Idiot
CF/VV didn't say crazy, existential stuff. They said bad lines that didn't fit their characters.
TCTTS
AG
That's like comparing our win against Alabama in 2012 to our blowout loss against them last year by saying both games featured touchdowns in the first quarter, our team in white uniforms, and the same coaches. Sure, they shared a lot of the same elements, but the difference lies in the execution.
Ragoo
AG
Only two real complaints. I didn't like VV character being killed at the end. The Mexicans gang didn't add anything. After MM and WH some how surviving their encounter we pretty much knew that wasn't going to happen again.

I didn't like Taylor kitsch being cast in his role. Just not good acting.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.