*** TRUE DETECTIVE Season 2 ***

253,316 Views | 1788 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by TX scallywAG
MW03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I should clarify, as well. I wasn't sitting there stewing about "liberal hollywood" or anything. More I was sitting there thinking, "Why does this guy have a picture with him and Bush on his desk? That seems oddly specific to frame that just over his shoulder so as to make sure we don't mis-AH I UNDERSTAND NOW."

Then I had a laugh because now instead of putting the bad guy in a black hat or giving him a curly mustache, you make him a Republican.
ac04
quote:
Good stuff, thanks guys. So it's still a possibility that the money made it to Catalyst and they're playing dumb I suppose.
technically that is a possibility, but i think that's highly unlikely. far more likely is that caspere never paid the money to catalyst.
Bunk Moreland
Yeah I gotcha. That is odd, and now I do remember that events take place in October 2015.

Honestly I didn't even notice the Bush picture. But again, if anything you just chalk it up to "Hollywood is liberal." Just doesn't move the needle for me anymore.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
quote:
Good stuff, thanks guys. So it's still a possibility that the money made it to Catalyst and they're playing dumb I suppose.
technically that is a possibility, but i think that's highly unlikely. far more likely is that caspere never paid the money to catalyst.

And I agree with this. It's a possibility that's definitely out there, but it wouldn't be ranked number 1. The money is in limbo. VV is going to figure out just where the **** it is, or die trying.
AgDev01
AG
quote:

Agreed. The guy from Catalyst even remarked that they weren't gangsters when Vaughn questioned him on those lines.
turfman80
AG
I read an in-depth interview with Colin Farrell where he said he spent 8 weeks with a dialect coach to get the right accent for the character...part Okie, part pacific NW, etc. hard to believe that much prep went into two episodes, so i think he is alive.

And Vince Vaughn's acting to me has been very underwhelming. Forced and wooden.
BQ78
AG
I guess one of my theories right now, and I admit it has some holes, is the city had the City Manager killed or at least condoned it and that VV had CF shot because of his emotional state and CF had mouthed off about wanting out of the charade and VV doesn't have time to deal with ambiguous loyalties right now.
Ol Jock 99
AG
CF was threatening suicide. Not going clean. VV doesn't want his inside guy offing himself.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
Vince Vaughn's acting to me has been very underwhelming. Forced and wooden.
I think that is intentional. Semyon is wound so tight that his spring is about to break.
Ol Jock 99
AG
quote:
And Vince Vaughn's acting to me has been very underwhelming. Forced and wooden.

Well, in these two episodes, he's been under some insane stress (biggest meeting of his life, $5MM missing). He's brief scenes without those emotions (flashback and beating up the mob guy) have been less wooden. Stress does that to a guy.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
I guess one of my theories right now, and I admit it has some holes, is the city had the City Manager killed or at least condoned it and that VV had CF shot because of his emotional state and CF had mouthed off about wanting out of the charade and VV doesn't have time to deal with ambiguous loyalties right now.

uhh, in a word, no.
mhayden
Lots of good posts, but agreed about whoever said VV cannot get the words to have the weight he wants them to have... Likely because he's done so many comedic "talky" roles in that same voice inflection that you keep waiting for the funny bit.

The show tries to be a wee bit too intellectual with the dialogue which can be a bit tiresome after MM's "time if a flat circle" and so forth from Season 1.
Bunk Moreland
I haven't been blown away with VV's acting so far, but it hasn't been a detriment yet either. He has done fine in some scenes, and not so fine in others, but nothing remotely close to what many feared when initially seeing him cast for that role.
COOL LASER FALCON
I've liked the conversations with Vaughn and Farrell so far. Especially the first one where Vaughn gave Farrell the picture and the address. I tend to agree that the dialog just hasn't lined up with Vaughn's style for the most part.

If we get to see Vaughn back to being more of a criminal, he might seem more natural. He was at his best in that scene where he confronted that guy that his people beat the **** out of.
BQ78
AG
Okay, as I said I haven't convinced myself yet of that theory but the CF-VV alliance is not a cozy one and if CF is not dead, I expect CF to abrogate being VV's lackey in a significant way at some point.
MW03
AG
I agree and think VV was excellent in that scene with the dude that got beat up.
Belton Ag
AG
I can see Velcoro, if he's still alive, feeling like he was set up and deciding he has nothing to lose and brings the whole thing down, from the corrupt city government to the land deals and everything. Seeing him go off would be pretty cool.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
I can see Velcoro, if he's still alive, feeling like he was set up and deciding he has nothing to lose and brings the whole thing down, from the corrupt city government to the land deals and everything. Seeing him go off would be pretty cool.

Agreed. Would love to see that.

Also, there's no question as to whether he's alive or not. We've seen both pics and footage of him from episodes unyet aired, with characters he hadn't met prior to episode one (Kitsch and McAdams, specifically).
bangobango
AG
quote:
quote:
well i'm done with this thread. thanks for ruining GoT for this season.
Schmendleler, I am asking a serious question here. Only VERY slightly tongue-in-cheek.

I am sorry if you did not know that Jon Snow was stabbed in the season-finale of GoT, but that episode HAS already aired. It hardly seems to be everyone else's responsibility to avoid discussing a past event, just because you haven't yet watched your DVR.

By contrast, I am fully-supportive of the idea that Book Readers should not divulge info for events that have not yet been covered by the TV Series.

As to "aired" information, are we supposed to keep mum on the score of last year's TAMU/Alabama game also, on the off chance that someone ... somewhere ... might not yet be aware of the outcome.

I don't think you should apologize for it, but persisting after somebody told you it spoiled it for them is kind of being a dbag. How hard is it to just edit the responses and carry in with your life.
Ol Jock 99
AG
I am curious how they are going to explain him not being dead. Getting shot twice with a 12 gauge, once at close range, would cut him in half. Suspension of disbelief likely forthcoming.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
I am curious how they are going to explain him not being dead. Getting shot twice with a 12 gauge, once at close range, would cut him in half. Suspension of disbelief likely forthcoming.
bean bags would be the easiest way.
Baskin
AG
quote:
My guess is that Caspere didn't have the $2MM, gambled or otherwise lost Semyon's $5MM, and was killed by the same people when he tried to get the money back.

This sounds like the most plausible thing to me so far. Caspere got mixed up with the wrong people, and either paid them Semyon's $5MM (but it wasn't enough), or he squandered Semyon's money, never repaid his debt and lost his life for it. Maybe that's why Birdman was staking out the apartment...to find where that $$$ went.

And I've enjoyed VV's acting thus far, it's not over the top and is very human, which is what I liked about the acting in S1. Plus, his eyebrow game is on point.
BQ78
AG
quote:

Yes, if they don't explain this well the show has already jumped the shark. Time will have to pass with everything unsolved because him and Rachel aren't going driving the next day right after his pecker transplant.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Unless they use bean bags as the explanation, then I'm expecting CF to look like this in the rest of his scenes.

mhayden
I agree Velcoro will be back, but I just don't see the need for the second shotgun blast unless it was driving home the point to the viewer that this guy is dead and the shooter wanted him dead... His character was immobile after the first shot, the close range second shot seemed unnecessary if they were bean-bags.
Baskin
AG
Unless they're trying to make him "look" dead for the sex cam.
Bunk Moreland
I think that's where the camera comes in. There was a camera there filming. If he goes up and delivers a kill shot, maybe the bad angle on the video is "proof" of his death to someone.
Belton Ag
AG
If the shooter loaded birdshot he probably would have survived the first blast, but even with birdshot the second one at nearly point blank range would have created some serious problems. I'm curious to find out how they get around this issue, I just have trouble with the whole bean bag thing myself, what with the previews talking about him being "shot". Would they have gone to that trouble of saying that if he had been hit with bean bags?
TCTTS
AG
Only thing I can think of is that after the next episode, he comes back months/years later after some serious healing. But even that seems suspect. Because, again, in the pics/footage of him post episode two, he doesn't look even remotely injured. I honestly can't figure it out.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
If the shooter loaded birdshot he probably would have survived the first blast, but even with birdshot the second one at nearly point blank range would have created some serious problems. I'm curious to find out how they get around this issue, I just have trouble with the whole bean bag thing myself, what with the previews talking about him being "shot". Would they have gone to that trouble of saying that if he had been hit with bean bags?
I suspect we will learn that he was wearing a vest.

Everyone keeps saying he was shot with a 12-gauge. I could not identify the weapon myself. Can someone give me the source of the "12-gauge" info?
Ramrod
AG
quote:
quote:
I suspect we will learn that he was wearing a vest.

Everyone keeps saying he was shot with a 12-gauge. I could not identify the weapon myself. Can someone give me the source of the "12-gauge" info?
I think the coroner said that Caspere's junk was shot off with a 12-gauge. So everyone, assuming the same shooter based on the weird crow mask/hat, figures it's a 12-gauge also.
Baskin
AG
Where's that non-specific TexAgs poster that's going to break down the differences in decibel levels between a shotgun firing buckshot vs. a beanbag?
mhayden
I didn't think about the camera aspect of things... Though that makes me kind of fall back to True Detective S1 and how there were very few (if any) "twists"... Though different directors, maybe not as straightforward a story.

As for him having a vest and/or just being injured...doesn't seem to really fit the the way it played out. He was knocked down and immobilzed after one blast. Shooter got over him and hit him with another blast. Are we to believe that this killer -- who obviously isn't in his first rodeo -- doesn't check for a vest and/or make sure he's dead?

I mean, what are we to believe, that this is some sort of a magic xylophone or something?
rononeill
regarding the CF investment. If what we're seeing is in the future, it seems pretty reasonable to think there will be a reasonably substantial flashback component to the show. Season 1 jumped all over the timeline. If there is a flashback sequence, that's probably where the CF footage we've seen comes from. There's been a lot of drama in this town leading up to where the story started that they'll want to share with us. Otherwise, it seems very "artistically cheap" to shoot him like that to have him not die - unless we find out it was a staged event to serve some plot purpose they cover very quickly in the next episode.
Ol Jock 99
AG
It was a 12 gauge. Specially a defense style with a collapsible stock. You can tell by the barrel size if you have enough experience with shotgun...and I do.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.