*** TRUE DETECTIVE Season 2 ***

253,336 Views | 1788 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by TX scallywAG
GinaLinetti
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just not watching this weeks episode. Haven't seen that much blow since that strip club in Tulsa.
GinaLinetti
AG
Bun ha babies in here that can't enjoy a ****ing show. This weeks episode was great. Only critique I have is that if they used a spray for the e at the party puking probably wouldn't help. Also, I did a lot of that **** in the early 00s and never had a high like that. Things were sharp as a tack. I like the vibe of this season and actually like the characters way more. VV is nails. CF is doing a hell of a job as well as the hot chick. The motorcycle cop doesn't do much for me but I'm going to see where he goes. It's a fun ride ding bats. Enjoy
It.
Potcake
AG
quote:

When RM was throwing up, I thought for sure some dude someone was gonna mount her...

Me, me, pick me
Hogties
AG
quote:
Just not watching this weeks episode. Haven't seen that much blow since that strip club in Tulsa.

You mean the Cloud 9? Nice place
mazzag
AG
quote:
anyone else think that the two kids who survived the jewelry heist are the mayor's kids, right?

Edit to clarify that this is just a guess.

I think so. At first I thought maybe they killed their parents, similar to the Menendez brothers, but they were too young. So I guess caspere robbed to store and killed their parents and they waited all these years for revenge?
Ol Jock 99
AG
Stan speaks!!

http://www.pajiba.com/true_detective/an-interview-with-the-actor-who-plays-stan-on-true-detective-ronnie-gene-blevins.php
Thunder18
AG
quote:
Stan speaks!!

http://www.pajiba.com/true_detective/an-interview-with-the-actor-who-plays-stan-on-true-detective-ronnie-gene-blevins.php

Ronnie Blevins seems like a pretty cool dude
Stive
AG
The dude was cool and funny as hell in college. Doesn't surprise me that he comes off as a cool dude in that interview.

Shelton98
AG
quote:
Stan speaks!!

I used to drink beer and slap bones with that guy at The Chicken back in the day.
Bunk Moreland
We need to get him to a game this season and introduce him on the field. Stan's the man!
claym711
AG
Vince is totally unbelievable in this role. It's awkwardly bad.

ThE acting in season 1 was far superior to season 2.
mm98
AG
quote:

I don't think he's that bad. He's played one role for almost 20 years. I think it is just hard for any of us to see him differently.

Is he MM or WH? Nope. But he's been far better than some of the criticism he's received here.
GinaLinetti
AG
quote:
quote:

I don't think he's that bad. He's played one role for almost 20 years. I think it is just hard for any of us to see him differently.

Is he MM or WH? Nope. But he's been far better than some of the criticism he's received here.
Objective Aggie
AG
VV has exceeded my expectations. But when my teenagers walk in and say "hey that's Vince Vaughn. Loved him in Dodgeball!" it does kinda kill the mood.
mhayden
his acting isnt that bad -- its that he has been given terribly awkward dialogue to work with,

its a poorly written show, if you havent come to grips with that yet you are not doing so because of the credit you gave season 1.
gomerschlep
AG
quote:
VV has exceeded my expectations. But when my teenagers walk in and say "hey that's Vince Vaughn. Loved him in Dodgeball!" it does kinda kill the mood.

You watch this with your kids?
Thunder18
AG
quote:
his acting isnt that bad -- its that he has been given terribly awkward dialogue to work with,

its a poorly written show, if you havent come to grips with that yet you are not doing so because of the credit you gave season 1.

I agree.. VV has actually been fine for me, he can't do anything about some of the ridiculous dialogue he has to work with
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

There are certain actors whose persona/style/etc. seems to always outweight their character. They are always the same in everything they do.

The biggest name I can think of is Jack Nicholson - he is Jack Nicholson in every movie I've ever seen him in.
To some degeee the same can be said for John Wayne and Keanu Reeves.

Some of those are good, some are not, sometimes they give good performces, sometimes even great.

Vince Vaughn is definitely in that category - he is always VV in everything he appears in. I sometimes have a hard time determining when he is good or bad. Saddled with some dialogue that I think the writer wrote specifically with VV in mind and that persona. It makes it almost a caricature of himself at times. So you've got that writing combined with that persona. There have been moments I thought he was pretty good, others not so much.

Other actors are true "character" actors in that they become the character they are playing. Sometimes that sort of description is given to non leads in movies although they sometimes play leads but these are guys that can transform into a variety of characters. You recognize them of course, but they are so different in different roles, they are like chameleons. Examples - William H. Macy, John Turturro, Gary Oldman, Steve Buscemi, Paul Giamatti, Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

To me Colin Ferrel is like that but he is very talented lead actor type material and a "character" actor. But he is not CF in every role....

In this case I always think of this season of TD as Ray Vocorro and Vince Vaughn. I don't think of VV as Semyon. in fact I usually have to think to remember the characters name.

And in the TD season 1 - I thought of it as Rust Cohle and Woody Harrelson. I honestly can't even think of Woody's characters name right now.....something very generic......oh well. Woody was always Woody to me but still good (he had much better dialogue to work with). Sometimes and for a long time Matthew McConaughey was always MM in most of his roles...but Rust Cohle was different and so was that Dallas Buyers Club for him.
Stive
AG
No to nit pick.....but you put Phillip Seymour Hoffman on that list???? Wow!
Texaggie7nine
quote:

I don't see any issues with that other than Gary and PSH are a pretty large cut above the others.
7nine
Stive
AG
quote:
quote:

I don't see any issues with that other than Gary and PSH are a pretty large cut above the others.

I misread it...my apologies. I thought he was saying the PSH, Turturrro, Oldman, etc were better versions of the VV's, Jack Nicholson, and John Wayne's of the acting world. I missed the chameleon comment.

I thoroughly agree with his comment now.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:

I think PSH is one of the most talented actors in a long time....and he actually graduated (if you will) into many lead roles. But he really got his start as a character actor - in things like Boogie Nights, Talented Mr. Ripley, Scent of a Woman and Twister.

He also later mixed things like Doubt and Capote with things like Along Came Polly (very funny role) and Charlie Wilsons War where he had great side roles (his bread and butter).

Being called a character actor is not an insult.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I misread it...my apologies. I thought he was saying the PSH, Turturrro, Oldman, etc were better versions of the VV's, Jack Nicholson, and John Wayne's of the acting world. I missed the chameleon comment.

I thoroughly agree with his comment now.
lol...oh ok....I was like "what the.....???"
zgood10
AG
quote:
Gary Oldman
Jean-Baptiste. Emmanuel. Zorg.
MW03
AG
It's like you're watching the show from the POV that he has to overcome being Vince Vaughn, so you're watching him as the actor and not the character. I understand that's partly on him for not being able to "change" your mind, but it's as though you're actively working against him. Maybe it would help if people started referring to him as the character he plays (Frank Semyon) instead of reinforcing that it's "VV" at every opportunity.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
It's like you're watching the show from the POV that he has to overcome being Vince Vaughn, so you're watching him as the actor and not the character. I understand that's partly on him for not being able to "change" your mind, but it's as though you're actively working against him. Maybe it would help if people started referring to him as the character he plays (Frank Semyon) instead of reinforcing that it's "VV" at every opportunity.
yeah...except everyone refers to CF as CF generally on here...and consensus is he is doing a fantastic acting job.

bigboykin
AG
While I don't think this season is as good as last, by any means, I definitely think people are being overly critical because of how good last season was and the fact that it was kind of a surprise. Expectations were impossibly high.

I'm really enjoying the season though, and it seems to have hit its stride the last few episodes. It probably took a little too long introducing the characters and establishing just how severely damaged they are, but there are a lot of interesting facets to the plot and it's certainly kept me intrigued.

Vaughn got a little Vince Vaughny during a few scenes earlier on, but I think he's settled into the role pretty well. I buy him as a kind of street smart, fast-talking wise guy. Ferrell has been great, but frankly, he was given a stacked deck. His role has the most to work with, by far, over the other 3 leads.

For a bad show, with a convoluted plot and horrible writing and acting, we're on page 38 of this thread...
MW03
AG
quote:
quote:
yeah...except everyone refers to CF as CF generally on here...and consensus is he is doing a fantastic acting job.

Touche
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
While I don't think this season is as good as last, by any means, I definitely think people are being overly critical because of how good last season was and the fact that it was kind of a surprise. Expectations were impossibly high.

I'm really enjoying the season though, and it seems to have hit its stride the last few episodes. It probably took a little too long introducing the characters and establishing just how severely damaged they are, but there are a lot of interesting facets to the plot and it's certainly kept me intrigued.

Vaughn got a little Vince Vaughny during a few scenes earlier on, but I think he's settled into the role pretty well. I buy him as a kind of street smart, fast-talking wise guy. Ferrell has been great, but frankly, he was given a stacked deck. His role has the most to work with, by far, over the other 3 leads.

For a bad show, with a convoluted plot and horrible writing and acting, we're on page 38 of this thread...

Nobody (ok well a few at most) is calling it "BAD"....a little letdown from season 1 for me. Still intriguing enough though. But that doesn't mean we can't debate its merits and shortcomings.

Heck there was a fair amount of disdain for seasons 2 and 5 of GOT....until the big dramatic scenes. Difference was there "we" or at least those who read the books knew what was coming and that it was worth the wait.

LOST threads had a lot of debate about it, especially near the end.

agmatt06
AG
The season isn't bad...it's just bad relative to season 1.

In season 1, there were whole seasons with just MM sitting at a table talking, and yet you couldn't look away. Nothing in season 2 has come close to that yet.

and CF is pretty well carrying this season. Without him, I'm not this show is watchable this season.
Objective Aggie
AG
quote:
quote:

You watch this with your kids?

I don't let them watch the show. But I don't make them leave the house when I watch it. So they see 10 seconds snippets when they are in the room every now and then.
bigboykin
AG
quote:
This was tongue in cheek.

And I don't know how y'all stuck it out with Lost. That show really was terrible by season 3.
Texaggie7nine
quote:
quote:
This was tongue in cheek.

And I don't know how y'all stuck it out with Lost. That show really was terrible by season 3.
I really enjoyed Lost all the way till the final 2 seasons.
Heros, on the other hand, started sucking immediately in season 2. However I watched it all the way through season 5 out of the mere hope that it would recapture the greatness of season 1 eventually.

That's what I see here. I'm invested too much to give up even though it sucks.
7nine
Bunk Moreland
I enjoyed LOST even through the final seasons. I was totally ok with the ending.

Yes it got crazy, but they had to advance the plot in the later seasons. Couldn't continue to use the crutch of mystery for 7? 8? seasons of 20-24 hour long episodes a season.

I have no ill will towards LOST. That was one of the most fun rides of entertainment I've ever seen on television.
Texaggie7nine
I think the reason I enjoyed it so much is because I watched every single season within a couple months time.

Had I been attached to it for years and years like the live viewers I might have saw it differently.
7nine

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.