*** TRUE DETECTIVE Season 2 ***

253,381 Views | 1788 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by TX scallywAG
Ramrod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
What was the explosion?

Probably a meth lab.
Yeah, I believe Velcoro said something about a "cook house" right after the explosion.
OldArmy71
AG
Ah, didn't catch that. Thanks.
BassCowboy33
quote:
A whole lot of those "dead" are likely wounded. Excepted the head shots of course. I'm just impressed at how fast those cops can run.

Curious to see how they handle it. IRL, RM and probably CF would lose their badges and might even face criminal charges.

It was very interesting how oddly Chief Sweethair, LT Dbag and the Mayor were acting before the raid. Almost like they knew something. Guess we'll see. And props to the Mayor for the Hill Street Blues line.

Remind me. What did Farrell do in the shoot out that would warrant losing his badge?
Ol Jock 99
AG
He was the #2 guy on a raid on his turf that ended with multiple cops and civilians dead. Maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't. He's also being investigated for being dirty.

RM on the other hand...she was the lead and one could easily argue her head wasn't in game with the investigation announcement.

Those two could be held up as rogue cops with no regard for life.
double aught
AG
I don't know. I think (in real life) firing them would be a PR disaster. These cops barely made it out of a gunfight with evil criminals alive.....then we fired them.
Ramrod
AG
One of the three also shot a civilian when he popped up close to where one of the suspects was hiding behind a car.

I'm thinking the higher ups in Vinci push to call the Caspere case "solved" and closed and the series takes a fast forward. In the next episode preview they show Bezzerides in a standard police uniform, safe to assume she is demoted to a desk job or working as a beat cop. I imagine a significant amount of time has to pass for them to do a full investigation of the shootout before any of the cops return to work.

I think Vince Vaughn's character uncovers something that tips him off to the Vinci Mayor and crew being in on Caspere's death, and he's going to go after them for cost him so much money.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Maybe, but RM said SWAT wasn't available until later and SHE wanted to go now. That decision came with a huge price tag.
mhayden
RM actually said that the bosses wanted to go in now, not wait.
BassCowboy33
quote:
One of the three also shot a civilian when he popped up close to where one of the suspects was hiding behind a car.

I'm thinking the higher ups in Vinci push to call the Caspere case "solved" and closed and the series takes a fast forward. In the next episode preview they show Bezzerides in a standard police uniform, safe to assume she is demoted to a desk job or working as a beat cop. I imagine a significant amount of time has to pass for them to do a full investigation of the shootout before any of the cops return to work.

I think Vince Vaughn's character uncovers something that tips him off to the Vinci Mayor and crew being in on Caspere's death, and he's going to go after them for cost him so much money.

I think it's just as likely that the officers have awards thrown at their faces and told "good job, well done", which would explain the uniform issue. If you want someone to shut up, burying them doesn't work as well as promoting them.
Ol Jock 99
AG
quote:

Rewatching now (thanks HBOGo).

Squad room, she says "we don't want to lose him"
On the street, old detective says "we can wait", she says "bosses say take him".

RM seems to be operating pretty autonomously. Yeah, she has to report in, but she was JUST TOLD by her boss that she's on leave from her home department. Who are "the bosses"? She tried to see the black lady (state prosecutor???) and couldn't.

I think it was all her.
mid90
AG
A couple plot points I don't quite understand.

• Why were they going after the guys in the gunfight anyways? I know it had something to do with pawning someone's watch off...Caspere's?
  • Was Bezerrides suspended just from her duties in Ventura or from the Vinci investigation as well?
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:

Rewatching now (thanks HBOGo).

Squad room, she says "we don't want to lose him"
On the street, old detective says "we can wait", she says "bosses say take him".

RM seems to be operating pretty autonomously. Yeah, she has to report in, but she was JUST TOLD by her boss that she's on leave from her home department. Who are "the bosses"? She tried to see the black lady (state prosecutor???) and couldn't.

I think it was all her.

She was not allowed in the Ventura PD. They were at the Vinci PD and she is Task Force Leader. The bosses would be the Vinci police/politicians overseeing the task force. That's what I got, anyway.
Ramrod
AG
quote:
A couple plot points I don't quite understand.

• Why were they going after the guys in the gunfight anyways? I know it had something to do with pawning someone's watch off...Caspere's?
  • Was Bezerrides suspended just from her duties in Ventura or from the Vinci investigation as well?

Pretty sure it was Caspere's; it had the pimp's and his hooker's finger prints on it. The pawn shop owner provided video of the hooker showing up to sell/pawn the watch.

She isn't allowed in the building at Ventura until the investigation is over. Obviously she must still be allowed to head up the Vinci investigation; although it seemed like everyone was giving her "why are you here?" looks when she walked in to the room while Woodrugh was giving a briefing on the pimp. Guess those could've when "why are you late?" looks too.
Southlake
Maybe she just got those looks from guys she wouldn't have sex with...
mid90
AG
Thank you.
mid90
AG
quote:
Maybe she just got those looks from guys she wouldn't have sex with...

Or from guys she boned already.
double aught
AG
Yes, her boss told her specifically that she was still running the task force, if I remember correctly.
LHIOB
AG
Santa Muerte, the Yellow King and where this may be headed...
Ramrod
AG
quote:
quote:

I think it's just as likely that the officers have awards thrown at their faces and told "good job, well done", which would explain the uniform issue. If you want someone to shut up, burying them doesn't work as well as promoting them.
What are they trying to shut them up about at this point? I think Bezzerides has an idea that something fishy is up and is on to the mayor, but she doesn't have enough to act on at this point. Velcoro has to know something is up because the mayor and crew told him they wanted this closed fast; he just doesn't really give a crap.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
Santa Muerte, the Yellow King and where this may be headed...

now thats funny....

quote:

6) There was a huge, 10-minute shootout. It was a fairly impressive shootout, although that explosion looked like the Breaking Bad building explosion made with the budget of Sharknado because, apparently, HBO spent all of its FX budget on "Hardhome."

for those who don't know the reference - that's a Game of Thrones (season 5 episode 8) reference - huge zombie battle.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Interesting read....for those wanting a brief here is the conclusion.....

quote:
But don't think for a second that Ledo Amarilla is solely responsible for the death of Caspere. If you watched scenes from next week (vague spoilers), you'll notice that there's a time jump (Ray no longer has his mustache). It appears that the gang will be back together similar to the way Rust and Marty did in later episodes of season one to figure out who really killed Caspere, which means that basically Ledo Amarilla is season two's Reggie Ledoux, also known as the Yellow King.

Here's a dead giveaway: Amarilla means "yellow" in Spanish.

What we're likely to find in the next episode is that the authorities cleared the Caspere case and pinned it on Ledo Amarilla, but Ani a beat cop now will regroup with Ray (now fighting custody) and Paul (now making a family), and will go rogue. They'll start investigating Mayor McCheese, as well as his connections to Ani's father and the Rick Springfield shrink, until they drill down into the conspiracy behind the death of Caspere and its possible connections to Santa Meurte. It's fairly obvious that Mayor McCheese is behind the shootout because of the ominous "Let's be careful out there" warning, but he only really wanted to get Ani and maybe Ray killed (which is why his henchman wondered if Ani "needed all this manpower.") I'm fairly certain that Ray's partner also knew what was coming, too, which is why he'd hoped that they'd wait for Ledo Amarilla to come out instead of going in after him (a decision that cost him his life).

The show may be moving slowly, and some of the character developments may be on the lame side, but the murder mystery is growing increasingly interesting.

BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
quote:

What are they trying to shut them up about at this point? I think Bezzerides has an idea that something fishy is up and is on to the mayor, but she doesn't have enough to act on at this point. Velcoro has to know something is up because the mayor and crew told him they wanted this closed fast; he just doesn't really give a crap.

Since the beginning, it seems that the higher ups don't want the case solved accurately. They just want it closed, so that nothing deep is figured out or delved into (i.e. somebody knows something). I'm betting they use this as an opportunity to try and push the case closed.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I'm really excited about next week. I feel like we're halfway through the series and they haven't really made any ground into digging into what REALLY is going on. Maybe last season took this many episodes as well. I agree that the outcome of the shootout is the case will just be closed and then we'll jump forward into the Strike Team digging into it months or years down the line.

Pissed that I'm gonna have to wait two weeks to watch it. I watched 3 & 4 last night. Loved seeing VV get back to his thug roots as he wasn't left with any other options.

"Don't worry about taking your rings off..."
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
I'm really excited about next week. I feel like we're halfway through the series and they haven't really made any ground into digging into what REALLY is going on. Maybe last season took this many episodes as well. I agree that the outcome of the shootout is the case will just be closed and then we'll jump forward into the Strike Team digging into it months or years down the line.

Pissed that I'm gonna have to wait two weeks to watch it. I watched 3 & 4 last night. Loved seeing VV get back to his thug roots as he wasn't left with any other options.

"Don't worry about taking your rings off..."
why do you have to wait 2 weeks?...it's on every sunday
ChipFTAC01
AG
Because I'll be on vacation.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:

ahhhh missing pertinent information......

although you still don't have to wait...depending on what your cable/satellite provider is you should be able to access HBO Go from any computer and stream it wherever you are - assuming decent internet (use your phone as a hotspot if you have to).....

I did this with a Game of Thrones episode this season....I'm AT&T Uverse.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Things I'd rather do on vacation than watch TV. The show isn't going anywhere and will be waiting for me on DVR when I get home.
double aught
AG
quote:
Cue Vivaldi's Four Seasons.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I won't even tell you where I'm going.
Objective Aggie
AG
I held off on this, but after four episodes here goes:
* overall incredibly confusing and jumbled
* incredibly unnatural and cheesy dialogue that somehow sound completely believable from McConaghey but feels forced here.
* a more confusing plot than a Roger Moore era Bond movie
* everyone is over the top stereotypes. Sheesh, the mayor is so over the top it is not even funny
* alcohol is used in like every scene. 9am? Break out the Dewars. 10:30am? Here's my flask, you look like you could use it. This was true in season one as well but man. I get the whole noir thing, but so many smoke-filled bars where two macho guys spew insults and challenge each other over Scotch.

And yet, I am intrigued. Not a ton. But just enough to watch.
suburban cowboy
AG
nails
Ol Jock 99
AG
They really really should have left out motorcycle cop. The "good looking young cop struggling with being gay" was done already, and better, in The Shield....back in 2002. And that was with a secondary character too. No time on him would equal less jumbled for everyone else.
double aught
AG
I'd rather see Vince Vaughn gone. I had high hopes for him, but his character just isn't doing much for me. Like someone alluded to, his dialogue is odd, and VV can't really pull it off. Still really enjoying the season though.
Bunk Moreland
Show should change completely going forward now after the way it ended last night.
Btron
AG
I remember in Episode 3 before Ani shows up at Caspere's house the white Chief is there saying something like "bag everything up and send it to Vinci" I bet that is when and where they got the watch and pawnable items. Gave them to some dirty Vinci locals and set them up to get into a shoot out. The Mexican probably thought the cops were there for a drug bust not a murder.

What was the deal with picture from Summer Camp? Hippie Dad, Rick Springfield Doctor, current Mayor's dad.
They were all part of some summer camp cult back in the day? Interesting to see where that goes.

What's up with Caspere interested in Dirty Ground land? Is this supposed to be the proposed rail line locations?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.