*** TRUE DETECTIVE Season 2 ***

253,312 Views | 1788 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by TX scallywAG
ellebee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It worked...
Buck Compton
AG
Buck Compton
AG
quote:
quote:
That was the whole point. We thought he was home free, only to get shot the second he makes it out the door. More heartbreaking that way.
I completely agree. But the method that they used was BS. It should have been killing him after a visit to his mom and fiance or something after they tracked them down. Being behind the one door he comes out of is lazy.

Either way, loved the episode, especially VV.
BassCowboy33
quote:
I agree, thought it was stupid to have him shoot his way through 5 guys then only to be shot climbing out a random ladder after running for God knows how far.

That's really digging deep to find something to complain about.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
quote:
I agree, thought it was stupid to have him shoot his way through 5 guys then only to be shot climbing out a random ladder after running for God knows how far.

It really wasn't that far. He ran for a couple seconds initially, where he took cover behind the subway concession stand (or whatever you call it), then ran a couple more seconds until hiding in the space below the platform. Then took the ladder right next to where he was. These guys were planning to kill him, and it's safe to assume they had backup waiting at the doors leading away from the tunnel within the vicinity, just in case he got away.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TCTTS
AG
mid90
AG
Nooooooooo
CoolAggie
AG
Good summary of this episode http://www.wsj.com/articles/BL-SEB-90257
mid90
AG
Holy crap this episode was good! I'm STOKED that the finale is 90 min!

I'm sure if I had watched season 1 as it aired and posted on the season 1 thread, I would've been nitpicking like I've done for a lot of this season. But all in all, this has been a fantastic season so far. Having an entire criminal network this season vs mainly just one serial killer (although there were elements of an entire underground organizstion) is making the payoff these last episodes much better.

Add in VV's angle as someone in bed with most of these baddies, and I don't think I'd be alone in saying this season might be better in many ways than the first.
mid90
AG
Probably stated before, but VVs wife has an absolutely perfect rack. It takes a superhuman effort to pay attention to anything else when she's onscreen.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
This season will definitely end stronger than last season. Obviously still won't come close, overall, however.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Imagine the criticism Vince Vaughn went through waiting for this episode to air....he really, really brought it tonight. I'm curious as to how Ani and Ray operate with the person authorizing this operation now dead, looks like there will be a lot of body bags next week and I think Ani is the last one standing of our remaining 3 main characters.

I think Burris is our man in the bird mask. It also appears that Burris, Holloway, and Dixon (dead cop in episode 4) did the jewelry store job to rise up in the ranks. The orphans may be scheming on the side too...I'm hopeful for the closure we potentially get on that next weekend.
Bunk Moreland
Wow. Can't believe anyone would have an issue with that episode. Holy **** that was great.

The mystery has been worth it imo. Seeing it all unravel like that was fantastic.

Only thing I will say is I hope VV at least tells ray who the finger man was for the rape of his wife, and that he killed him. Ray is so dead set on knowing how told frank, we need closure on that.

Having Woodrugh work his way through it only to be killed was awesome. So stressful.
coastalAg
AG
If Burris or Holloway are the guy in the bird mask then it makes sense that they did not kill Velcoro in episode 2.

Will be interesting to see how they bring the crime ring down and who all makes it through to the end alive.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
This is a shot in the dark, but I think the birdman is the young boy from the '92 robbery. We already know who the sister is, and she just happens to be working for Caspere, the man who at the time was in possession of the diamonds that would incriminate him in her parents murder. I think she somehow found out Caspere had the diamonds, and got the job to keep tabs on him, and maybe find out more info. I think the brother might have been the guy they talked to at the movie set, who would have had access to the car used in the murder, or more likely, he's some guy that hasn't been shown yet.

Edit: stupid mistakes
Quinn
AG
As a previous "hater", tonight's episode was great. Vince and Taylor stepped up their games big time. RIP Texas Forever. Looks like the season could end on a very strong note.
BassCowboy33
quote:
As a previous "hater", tonight's episode was great. Vince and Taylor stepped up their games big time. RIP Texas Forever. Looks like the season could end on a very strong note.

I applaud this post.
CheeseSndwch
I've been avoiding this thread because I was a few episodes behind but I am happy to see this show is finishing strong.

So was it implied that Frank's wife was bought off? They said the Russians got to everyone but Nails. Does that include her?
Quinn
AG
quote:
I've been avoiding this thread because I was a few episodes behind but I am happy to see this show is finishing strong.

So was it implied that Frank's wife was bought off? They said the Russians got to everyone but Nails. Does that include her?

I didn't see it that way since he brought his wife in after that conversation.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Pieced together from other recaps I've read any my own observations (for what it's worth):

Frank is a local gangster that has done well for himself through various organized crime, which included a company dumping toxic waste to make land super cheap. There's also the whole history between Frank and Ray....but that seems pretty clear and we just found out it was Blake that gave the wrong name, so Frank wasn't using Ray. Also Blake killed Stan because Stan found out about Blake's side business with the Russians. (Also, best line from the entire show so far, "Look me in the eyes, I want to watch your lights go out").

Now, it seems Frank is hoping to go legit and make a lot of money, so he gives $5 million to Casper, who is supposed to give it to Catalyst (who owns all the parcels of land by the soon to be built rail line). Meanwhile Casper was in league with the Chessani's son, Blake and the Russians to run an prostitute ring and gather blackmail on a lot of powerful people. It seems like the Mayor's son is trying to overthrow his dad by playing ball with the new power in California, the Russians.

Now the Russians and Frank agreed upon a before mentioned deal meant to be finalized in ep 1 with Caspere at the helm...but have seemingly been behind all of Frank's recent downfalls, like taking over the clubs, and now they were going to kill Frank. However Osip had a change of heart and asked him to work for them. Frank says sure, but then proceeds to get all his money together to jump town and sets fire to everything in an act of reckless abandon.

Back to Casper, someone killed him and took his hardrive of blackmail. He's also tied to the diamonds somehow but the people who stole them are now a mystery. The first time the case closes, it was because Buress (my birdman prediction) may have given some of Casper's stuff to a Mexican girl. The Mexican girl was the one Frank was looking for, and the one the Mexican gang found and murdered for double dipping with the police. Anyways that girl pawns the goods, which leads the cops to the Mexican meth lab or whatever it was. Then we have our shoot-out.

However....No one believes the Mexican meth cooks killed Casper. The asian guy running the investigation doesn't care because he's been bought and is running for governor. So our DA lady starts a special unit while recruiting our 3 main law enforcement characters to run it. So they start investigating again - on the down low. They find out about parties and diamonds and all that. Ani kills the security guard at the party and is now wanted for murder. They use one of Ray's guns to kill the DA who had their back, so now Ray wanted for murder. Paul is now dead, so there's that.

My understanding of the whole blue diamonds business: back in the 80/90s, specifically during the '92 riots, Halloway (Police Chief in Vinci), Burress (white police guy under Halloway), Dixon (guy that got domed in the shootout), and Casper all worked in the same department, as Casper was the accountant at the time. They use the riots as a distraction to murder a couple that owned a jewelry store, and steal the rare blue diamonds. The couple that was murdered left behind two kids who are now vital to the plot, which hopefully unravels next week.

edited for the revelation of Frank/Russian deal earlier in episode 1 and stupid mistakes. Thanks BassAg and AgDev.
GasPasser97
AG
I'm with Cheese...

VV old lady gets it next episode...

Only Nails wasn't bought...she looked nervous during her exchange with VV...and VV gave her a suspicious stare...
BassCowboy33
quote:
Pieced together from other recaps I've read any my own observations (for what it's worth):

Frank is a local gangster that has done well for himself through various organized crime, which included a company dumping toxic waste to make land super cheap. There's also the whole history between Frank and Ray....but that seems pretty clear and we just found out it was Blake that gave the wrong name, so Frank wasn't using Ray. Also Blake killed Stan because Stan found out about Blake's side business with the Russians. (Also, best line from the entire show so far, "Look me in the eyes, I want to watch your lights go out").

Now, it seems Frank is hoping to go legit and make a lot of money, so he gives $5 million to Casper, who is supposed to give it to Catalyst (who owns all the parcels of land by the soon to be built rail line). Meanwhile Casper was in league with the Chessani's son, Blake and the Russians to run an prostitute ring and gather blackmail on a lot of powerful people. It seems like the Mayor's son is trying to overthrow his dad by playing ball with the new power in California, the Russians.

Now it seems that Russians said yes to a never before mentioned deal between them and Frank...but have seemingly been behind all of Frank's recent downfalls, like taking over the clubs, and now they were going to kill Frank. However Osip had a change of heart and asked him to work for them. Frank says sure, but then proceeds to get all his money together to jump town and sets fire to everything in an act of reckless abandon.

Back to Casper, someone killed him and took his hardrive of blackmail. He's also tied to the diamonds somehow but the people who stole them are now a mystery. The first time the case closes, it was because Buress (my birdman prediction) may have given some of Casper's stuff to a Mexican girl. The Mexican girl was the one Frank was looking for, and the one the Mexican gang found and murdered for double dipping with the police. Anyways that girl pawns that ****, which leads the cops to the Mexican meth lab or whatever it was. Then we have our shoot-out.

However....No one believes the Mexican meth cooks killed Casper. The asian guy running the investigation doesn't care because he's been bought and is running for governor. So our DA lady starts a special unit while recruiting our 3 main law enforcement characters to run it. So they start investigating again - on the down low. They find out about parties and diamonds and all that. Ani kills the security guard at the party and is now wanted for murder. They use one of Ray's guns to kill the DA who had their back, so now Ray wanted for murder. Paul is now dead, so there's that.

My understanding of the whole blue diamonds business: back in the 80/90s, specifically during the '92 riots, Halloway (Police Chief in Vinci), Burress (white police guy under Halloway), Dixon (guy that got domed in the shootout), and Casper all worked in the same department, as Casper was the accountant at the time. They use the riots as a distraction to murder a couple that owned a jewelry store, and steal the rare blue diamonds. The couple that was murdered left behind two kids who are now vital to the plot, which hopefully unravels next week.

The deal between Frank and the Russians was a central piece in the early part of the season. There were whole arguments about it.
Bunk Moreland
Also interesting theme that frank and mayor mccheese both were in positions of power and comfort but having their world turned upside down below them from their most trusted.

This episode really makes the whole season of confusion pay off imo. Watching it unfold in real time(versus flash backs like last year) earned them a lot of criticism throughout, but tonight's episode makes the juice worth the squeeze
unmade bed
quote:
This is a shot in the dark, but I think the birdman is the young boy from the '92 robbery. We already know who the sister is, and she just happens to be working for Caspere, the man who at the time was in possession of the diamonds that would incriminate him in her parents murder. I think she somehow found out Caspere had the diamonds, and got the job to keep tabs on him, and maybe find out more info. I think the brother might have been the guy they talked to at the movie set, who would have had access to the car used in the murder, or more likely, he's some guy that hasn't been shown yet.

Edit: stupid mistakes

I like this theory.
AgDev01
AG
Yup. Frank went over to Europe to work out the deal which was supposed to close at the first meeting they had early in the season. The Russians went behind his back recruited his #2 and began taking over his stuff which frank found out about tonight.
Bunk Moreland
I agree. The assistant showed up to the movie set as well, did she not?
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:

His wife has mentioned on multiple occasions how money isn't her first priority. Frank is her first priority (at least that's what we think to this point). She's also the one who suggested that they cut and run.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
quote:
I agree. The assistant showed up to the movie set as well, did she not?

Holy crap, you're right, and they are shown in the same scene together as she is walking by him, and he turns to watch her walk by.
FancyKetchup14
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

His wife has mentioned on multiple occasions how money isn't her first priority. Frank is her first priority (at least that's what we think to this point). She's also the one who suggested that they cut and run.

And take their free shift meal at Applebee's.
oragator
Great episode and VV was markedly better (as was the directing), but man are they trying to squeeze a lot of plot in, it's almost too much. This is the downside to the 8 episode format.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Great episode and VV was markedly better (as was the directing), but man are they trying to squeeze a lot of plot in, it's almost too much. This is the downside to the 8 episode format.

Finale will be 1.5 hours. It's its own movie.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
wow!!!!

best episode this season by far......and really CF and RM had little to do with it - their sexual liason aside basically Ray was in the hotel talking or with VV and RM had her thing with her sister and dad.....

but this was the VV show - and holy cow - I won't be complaining about him at all here. He was amazing....easily the best hour of anything I've ever seen him in. His boiling anger with only subtle expressions in hearing what Ray spilled....then his cold calculating handling of the blake guy in his office....making the deals with the jewelry dude and the other guys.....followed by his calm, cool collected encounter with the russians...and then his methodical stoic literal burning of everything he is leaving behind. and only once did I cringe at a phrase or line,and NOT the delivery of it. Kudos. He was not VV to me tonight as I've accused him of in the past, he was Semyon.

And Woodrugh...finally a payoff for why he was here....and in a big way. Tragic that he let his personal life get him double crossed...he saw it coming too but still could not refuse the offer. But I really thought he was going to turn on RM and CF....great acting there....and then he makes his move. Well he got a good ending anyway, not like a punk or a traitor.

Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag

After going back and looking at the scene, think we can put the question of who the birdman is to rest.
double aught
AG

• Are we supposed to know the meaning of Frank's meeting with the Jewish jeweler? If so, it alluded me.
  • No way did I think Woodrugh was going to double-cross Ray and Ani. I really wish he would've put one in the dome of good hair police chief instead of just hitting him.
  • The scene with Ani and her former partner was good. Nice to see there was someone she could trust. "Three in one day. That's gotta be a record for you."
Objective Aggie
AG
When Woodrow was looking at police record on the diamond heist I swear I saw Anis name on there???

What was that about???

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.