*** TRUE DETECTIVE Season 2 ***

253,347 Views | 1788 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by TX scallywAG
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
we've discussed the difference between books and tv shows for forever. Those spoilers are legit. But I'm sorry you feel so butthurt over someone dropping in a line about what happened on a TV show that aired 2 weeks ago. What that person posted was nowhere near a spoiler IMO.

If I click on a thread and read about what happened on OITNB, or another random show that I haven't caught up on yet, it's my fault. I immediately click off the thread or go past that post. Sure i was partially spoiled, but it wasn't their fault. The show has aired.
rononeill
FYI - Jon Snow's death hasn't really been settled - there's a big contingent thinking he's coming back ala lady stoneheart. what do you guys think? I, for one, find it pretty plausible. why introduce that sort of magic if it isn't going to be applied in some meaningful/pivotal manner...
The Debt
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
well i'm done with this thread. thanks for ruining GoT for this season.
I'm honestly surprised that you were able to stay in the dark as to what happened in a huge season finale, of one of the most watched shows, for two weeks.
maybe because most people realize that posting spoilers after only two weeks is dick move.
I am sorry, but you are being a major snowflake here, especially when you call other posters "a dick" for making a casual reference to a pop-culture phenomenon.

You seem to believe that the entire world should avoid making any reference to past pop-culture events, on the off-chance that someone ... somewhere ... might be using time-delayed viewing -- especially YOU.

In all seriousness, where should it stop, in your view? The "truth" behind Bobby Ewing on "Dallas?" Bob Newhart's dreams? The finale of "Lost?" I am fairly certain that each of those situations is "common knowledge," but some folks just don't keep up.

If you time-delay on a popular program, you are taking a risk of getting "spoiled." Sorry, but that is life.

I record True Detective and GoT while my kids are still awake. I stay up and watch them after bedtime. Simple solution.
Baskin
AG
The Jon Snow line was the perfect comparison and made me laugh, get over it. Regarding the show True Detective though, why was Bird-man staking out the apartment in the first place just so he could bag the city cop working on the case and raise the exposure? There has to be a reason for the murder scene to still be intact with the recording equipment still up and running.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
After the season is over, can someone edit/compile scenes of all highway shots in this show? The folks in charge love showing highways. Season 1 showed lots of road too.
There's a very specific story-related reason for that. Season 2 was originally described by Pizzolatto as being about the "occult history of the US transportation system." Apparently, the "occult" part has been axed (thought I don't buy that, especially based on last night's ep), but still, whoever is ultimately behind the Casper killing is almost assuredly connected to the highway system somehow. Whatever person or group it is, they killed Casper because they don't want the high-speed railway deal to go through. Whether that be for economic reasons, some kind of creepy occult highway reason, or both, the highway system will likely play a major role in the narrative, I'm guessing.
BQ78
AG
So no theories on who was behind the murder and/or the shooting (I think killing) of CF?

I think the Vincini city officials know some things and could be directly behind it all, the one guy seemed a little irritated when his washed up, no count detective asked a probing question about the murder of the City Manager. We also know that city official is very evil because there is a picture of him and George W. Bush on his desk (good old Hollywood set up a purely fictional setup and then slap around a real life guy they hate).

Second, I was starting to have some empathy for the VV with the opening monologue and possibly getting jobbed by the city guys (I really thing they are behind or condoned the city manager's murder and took his $5M). VV is the only one that knew CF was going there that we know of. CF did mouth off to him in the crappy Mexican restaurant with the terrible singer with the out of tune guitar. Sounded like CF was ready to come clean on all the shenanigans which would have brought both CF and VV down. So given VV's state of mind right now that could have convinced him CF was now more a liability than a asset and he sent one of his boy's to do him in. The weakness with that theory is the shotgunner's crazy outfit.

TCTTS
AG

quote:
So no theories on who was behind the murder and/or the shooting (I think killing) of CF?

See above.
KidDoc
AG
quote:

I think the Vincini city officials know some things and could be directly behind it all, the one guy seemed a little irritated when his washed up, no count detective asked a probing question about the murder of the City Manager. We also know that city official is very evil because there is a picture of him and George W. Bush on his desk (good old Hollywood set up a purely fictional setup and then slap around a real life guy they hate).

Second, I was starting to have some empathy for the VV with the opening monologue and possibly getting jobbed by the city guys (I really thing they are behind or condoned the city manager's murder and took his $5M). VV is the only one that knew CF was going there that we know of. CF did mouth off to him in the crappy Mexican restaurant with the terrible singer with the out of tune guitar. Sounded like CF was ready to come clean on all the shenanigans which would have brought both CF and VV down. So given VV's state of mind right now that could have convinced him CF was now more a liability than a asset and he sent one of his boy's to do him in. The weakness with that theory is the shotgunner's crazy outfit.

What if it was VV in the costume?
I do think he was involved, he sent Caspere to that house to be killed.
And I love the comments about that singer in the bar haha.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
The weakness with that theory is the shotgunner's crazy outfit.
Well, that is ONE "weakness with that theory."

The Velcoro shooter is clearly the Caspere corpse chauffer (and probably murderer). (See above). Same late-80s Cadillac Brougham, same crow mask, etcetera.

=======

As an aside, is anyone else annoyed with the changes in the TexAgs software, which seems to be removing paragraph breaks from our posts?
Bunk Moreland
well I think it's definitely tied to the guy in Monterrey with the hot patients and hot assistants. But he's just a creep and the front man.

I will need to know more about the Russian from ep1 and who he is representing more fully. Right now my guess is he knew about Caspere while at the big dinner and business pitch, and was playing dumb to Semyon.
BQ78
AG
quote:
See above.

Discussion above was more about the trigger man than who was behind it, I think the trigger man is just a pawn and doesn't sit on the back row of the chessboard.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
well I think it's definitely tied to the guy in Monterrey with the hot patients and hot assistants. But he's just a creep and the front man.

I will need to know more about the Russian from ep1 and who he is representing more fully. Right now my guess is he knew about Caspere while at the big dinner and business pitch, and was playing dumb to Semyon.
My initial thought was that the Russians were behind the Caspere murder, in order to get themselves a more-advantageous buy-in for the rail deal.

But the other (both occult and amateur) elements of the murder just are not consistent with the Russian mob ... well, except for the acid in his eyes.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
quote:
See above.

Discussion above was more about the trigger man than who was behind it, I think the trigger man is just a pawn and doesn't sit on the back row of the chessboard.

So, your theory is that Semyon had Caspere killed (for what reason?), but that someone else stole Semyon's $$$ from Caspere. And that Semyon then ordered a hit on his best tool for finding his missing money? OK.
Baskin
AG
Can someone explain how exactly Catalyst fits into this? The scene w/Semyon and the Catalyst guy was kind of hard to follow.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
Can someone explain how exactly Catalyst fits into this? The scene w/Semyon and the Catalyst guy was kind of hard to follow.
Not entirely clear yet, but Catalyst seems to be the Big Player on the land deal related to the High Speed Rail. Semyon is a small fish who was "buying in" with Catalyst, through Caspere.

Let's be clear. $5 million sounds like a lot of money to lots of people. In truth, it is chicken feed when you are talking about buying large quantities of land in the Central Valley. $5 million wouldn't even get you your own seat at the table.

An interesting point is that Caspere told Semyon that the price to Semyon would be $10-million, but the Catalyst representative said that "the same figure" was still available ... $7-million. Caspere was skimming.
COOL LASER FALCON
I think basically Vince Vaughn couldn't put the money directly into Catalyst (the holding company that was purchasing the land on several people's behalf) because it's dirty money. That was being done through the City Manager somehow.

The city manager was killed after Vaughn gave him the money, but before he put the money into catalyst and got Vaughn in officially as part of the deal.
Bunk Moreland
The Catalyst Group does business with the city manager of Vinci who is a middle-man that represents multiple interests on purchasing plots alongside the new proposed rail corridor. Semyon had hand-shake deals with the city manager of Vinci(Caspere), for this and what he alluded to as a business relationship by which Semyon gave his money to Caspere to secure the holdings. Basically, Caspere represents the corrupt interests and offers a bridge from dirty to clean with financial deals.

Caspere wasn't able to get his holding secured officially with the Catalyst Group in time. Therefore, the $5 million is in limbo. Catalyst is telling Semyon they don't have the money and there's no deal because Caspere hadn't finalized anything. Therefore the money is unaccounted for. Semyon was just struggling and angry that all his money, everything he had worked for, is now just in limbo, and not under the control of any deal, holding, or possession of a person who he trusts. In fact, it's missing.
Bunk Moreland
Agreed, but if the $5 million is coming in cash and part of a corrupt(federal, state, local government involved as well) deal, then maybe your $5 million gets you a little more than what a normal purchase of property would be.

Also, if the state is using eminent domain to build this rail, they are likely in the process of having to parcel off land, etc., so it wouldn't be crazy to think there would be some solid parcels that $5 million could go towards purchasing, especially with the federal grants expected to help supplement the ROI.
Baskin
AG
Good stuff, thanks guys. So it's still a possibility that the money made it to Catalyst and they're playing dumb I suppose.
LHIOB
AG
quote:

Oh, you mean Rick freaking Springfield?
Bunk Moreland
quote:
Good stuff, thanks guys. So it's still a possibility that the money made it to Catalyst and they're playing dumb I suppose.

Absolutely a possibility that is an option.
MW03
AG
quote:
From what I gathered:

Caspere was brokering a deal with Catalyst with Semyon as his partner. Caspere quoted the buy-in as $10MM. Semyon liquidated his assets to come up with the $5MM for his share, which he gave to Caspere.

After Caspere's death, Semyon when to Catalyst to make sure his portion of the partnership was taken care of, only to be told that Caspere never made any payments. Because it was all done off the books, Semyon has no record of payments being made to Caspere to hold as a brokerage house for Semyon with Catalyst.

Catalyst tells Semyon he'll still honor the deal if Semyon can come up with the $7MM. Semyon is taken aback because Caspere had quoted him $10MM, meaning Caspere would only have had to put up $2MM for a half of a stake in the property. He basically planned to rob Semyon out of $1.5MM (or more, depending on if they were going to be equal partners).

----------

My guess is that Caspere didn't have the $2MM, gambled or otherwise lost Semyon's $5MM, and was killed by the same people when he tried to get the money back.
Bunk Moreland
Yes. Rick Freaking Springfield.
AggieHank86
AG
I am still trying to figure the benefit of purchasing land adjacent to a HSR corridor.

By definition, HSR does not STOP. What is the benefit of owning land alongside the corridor? To the contrary, I would expect land values to DROP somewhat, as people lose access to parts of their property, when it is bisected by a right-of-way that will probably only be "crossed" by roads and the like at VERY distant intervals.

Remember the Trans-Texas Corridor?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
ridiculous....if you watch a HUGE show like GoT and expect to not hear anything about it for possibly months afterward in some other random threads....thats hysterical.

if you watch you've know about past big moments like the red wedding, joffreys death and ned's beheading all were big watershed moments and were all over the airwaves, internet, etc. and you might have expected soemthing like that in this seasons as well......or did I just spoiler those for you also?!?!?!?!.......but you expect EVERYONE to keep quiet about EVERTYTHING related to that show on EVERY thread on EVERY message board in the world.....bawwhahahahahahah!!!!

you would have to stay holed up in your house, never watch TV, never talk to anyone and never get on the internet...and the fact that you are here actively posting on another HBO show thread that you have apparently managed to keep up with (so you DVR GoT, but you are watching TD in real time???)......well it just really makes you wonder.

this is on you.
MW03
AG
Annnnnnnnnnnd we were all typing at once, and I lost the WPM challenge
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
I am still trying to figure the benefit of purchasing land adjacent to a HSR corridor.

By definition, HSR does not STOP. What is the benefit of owning land alongside the corridor? To the contrary, I would expect land values to DROP somewhat, as people lose access to parts of their property, when it is bisected by a right-of-way that will probably only be "crossed" by roads and the like at VERY distant intervals.

Remember the Trans-Texas Corridor?
perhaps they meant at the stops/stations.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:
The weakness with that theory is the shotgunner's crazy outfit.
Well, that is ONE "weakness with that theory."

The Velcoro shooter is clearly the Caspere corpse chauffer (and probably murderer). (See above). Same late-80s Cadillac Brougham, same crow mask, etcetera.

=======

As an aside, is anyone else annoyed with the changes in the TexAgs software, which seems to be removing paragraph breaks from our posts?
i alerted staff to this yesterday.....it is only in replies and after quoted material....

however they also just rolled out a fix...i had to RELOAD to get it to work though.

FYI.
MW03
AG
quote:
We also know that city official is very evil because there is a picture of him and George W. Bush on his desk (good old Hollywood set up a purely fictional setup and then slap around a real life guy they hate).
Found this terribly distracting myself. That and the mayor's accent which is probably his regular speaking voice but drives me insane nonetheless. It's like he's trying to do Daniel Day Lewis in There Will Be Blood. I just want him to open his mouth when he talks.
LHIOB
AG
I think the rational is that Vicini is purely an industrial town with only a few hundred residents so the rail would bring people to work. This would be a stop in town. At least thats the way I was looking at it.

The guy who shot Ray was either following him or sitting on the apartment so he may have been a target or he may have been in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
quote:
We also know that city official is very evil because there is a picture of him and George W. Bush on his desk (good old Hollywood set up a purely fictional setup and then slap around a real life guy they hate).
Found this terribly distracting myself.

What year does this supposedly take place? If it's between 2001-2008, then what's the big deal? The picture of the POTUS could easily be up in the office of the mayor.

Now, not to derail, but I would entertain there might be some legitimacy in watching future dramas in the coming years that take place between 2009-2016, and noting how often Obama's photo is in the office on a show with corrupt government officials that supposedly takes place during that time frame.

But all that would really come out to is: !ZOMG! Hollywood is liberal!!. Not too much of a shock.

And this isn't "good old Hollywood set up purely fictional set up"...this is basically taking place in the town of Vernon, CA, in California, which is very much real and had similar corruption issues. It's not like we're talking about Westeros...Crap! Did I spoil the name of the fictional world for someone who may not have gotten that far in Game of Thrones?
unmade bed
quote:
quote:
quote:
Found this terribly distracting myself.

What year does this supposedly take place? If it's between 2001-2008, then what's the big deal? The picture of the POTUS could easily be up in the office of the mayor.

Now, not to derail, but I would entertain there might be some legitimacy in watching future dramas in the coming years that take place between 2009-2016, and how often Obama's photo is on the wall in a show that supposedly takes place during that time frame.

But I'm not nearly interested enough to do it myself, nor do I care that much. Hollywood is liberal. Not too much of a shock.

And this isn't "good old Hollywood set up purely fictional set up"...this is basically taking place in the town of Vernon, CA, in California, which is very much real and had similar corruption issues. It's not like we're talking about Westeros...Crap! Did I spoil the name of the fictional world for someone who may not have gotten that far in Game of Thrones?

The majority of what we have seen so far this season takes place in the future, ~september 2015

Picture with Bush was as subtle as shot of 60 inch tv for family getting foreclosed on.
Bunk Moreland
Gotcha. I didn't notice it. But again, who cares? It's liberal Hollywood. That's not a new or shocking development. Maybe my "sigh" radar has been off for too long.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Events thus far in the series take place in late October of 2015. Almost every scene in s2.e1 takes place on 27-October-2015.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.