*** TRUE DETECTIVE Season 2 ***

252,706 Views | 1788 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by TX scallywAG
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Seeing as there hasn't been an official thread started yet, and season two starts next month, I figured I'd go ahead and get one going. That, and a fantastic new trailer just hit, so it's as good a time as any to start the hype machine. Cannot wait.

Sex Panther
AG
Hope it can live up somewhat to the first season, but I'm sure it's going to be really difficult to top Harrelson and McConaughey's performances.

Currently reading Pizalotto's book Galveston. Pretty good so far, Cormac McCarthy-esque. Would recommend to anyone who likes the show and the Texas locations are a plus.

I'd say O&C should look into it TC, but I'm sure there's no way it hasn't been picked up already.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Hope it can live up somewhat to the first season, but I'm sure it's going to be really difficult to top Harrelson and McConaughey's performances.

Currently reading Pizalotto's book Galveston. Pretty good so far, Cormac McCarthy-esque. Would recommend to anyone who likes the show and the Texas locations are a plus.

I'd say O&C should look into it TC, but I'm sure there's no way it hasn't been picked up already.

Yeah, unfortunately, I'm 99% certain it was picked up last year in the wake of season one's success.
Malcolm52
AG
True Detective season 1 might be my favorite season of TV ever made. It was brilliant and the best part was that it came out of nowhere, at least for me.

Will be tough to come close to it with season 2. That being said, I cannot wait.
COOL LASER FALCON
Biggest thing I'm looking forward to is watching Vaughn. I think he's going to be awesome in this.
Noblemen06
AG
If season 2 is even close to season 1, we are in for a treat...looking forward to this thread as the show progresses
Sher Thing
AG
Highly unlikely it can touch season 1 but I think they did it right by going out to California and setting a totally different vibe for this season. I am looking forward to it. I love all the actors/actresses they went with. I know some people are down on Farrell but I personally think he's good.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Is it unrelated to the first season completely?

Still have to finish season 1. Only got 3 or 4 eps in. Does it pick up?
agmag90
aggie93
AG
quote:
Is it unrelated to the first season completely?

Still have to finish season 1. Only got 3 or 4 eps in. Does it pick up?
Why yes, yes it does. I struggled through he first couple episodes before realizing "Woah, let me go back and watch those again." to catch all the little stuff. That first season had it all. Great writing. Incredible acting performances. A plot that will keep you guessing and re-thinking. Incredible filmmaking skill including probably one of the most impressive single take shots ever done in television later in the season. And of course, this:
Max Power
AG
quote:
True Detective season 1 might be my favorite season of TV ever made. It was brilliant and the best part was that it came out of nowhere, at least for me.

Will be tough to come close to it with season 2. That being said, I cannot wait.

My sentiments exactly. I didn't even have HBO but I got it because of what I was hearing about this show. It is the best single season of TV I've ever seen. Better than any season of The Wire or Breaking Bad, which are two of my favorite shows of all time.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Season 1 was really good, but I wish we'd gotten more time with the villain. Or at least a better personal understanding of them. Even if he's just evil for the sake of evil, I wish I'd seen more of it. I think of Billy Bob's character from the Fargo tv show. If we'd gotten something like that in True Detective, that would have pushed it to the top for me. As is, I enjoyed it, I'll watch season 2, but season 1 just felt like it had something missing for me.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
quote:

My sentiments exactly. I didn't even have HBO but I got it because of what I was hearing about this show. It is the best single season of TV I've ever seen. Better than any season of The Wire or Breaking Bad, which are two of my favorite shows of all time.

I love BB as much as the next guy, but McConaughey not winning the Emmy last year was a joke
cr0wbar
AG
Cannot wait- About damn time!
bbattbq01
AG
I'm interested in how not having the same director for the whole season will change the feel of the show.

Can't wait for it!!!
Sher Thing
AG
Without going into detail, I was/am so bummed about their not being a season 2 with the same cast/storyline because I felt like they could have easily kept it going with the way S1 ultimately ended.

I agree it was probably my favorite one season of any show ever. I loved season one.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Loved S1, though it did feel a little Lost-Esque in that there were a few story lines that were thrown out there, but didn't get closure (at least the amount I wanted). Ie, Harrelson's girl playing with the dolls in a similar way as the photo of the cult.

Very excited for S2 though.
aggie93
AG
quote:
Without going into detail, I was/am so bummed about their not being a season 2 with the same cast/storyline because I felt like they could have easily kept it going with the way S1 ultimately ended.

I agree it was probably my favorite one season of any show ever. I loved season one.
I think part of the appeal is it is a 1 season show so they can get movie actors to do it that would normally not do TV. Lots of pressure on the writer/director though to keep the quality up but they should be able to attract some fantastic acting talent.

It was frustrating though as I was sure there was more going on with the daughters/grandfather/cult in some way that never went anywhere.
lne2011
AG
They probably could have done an extra 2 episodes to develope these interseting story lines.
Sher Thing
AG
quote:
quote:

I think part of the appeal is it is a 1 season show so they can get movie actors to do it that would normally not do TV. Lots of pressure on the writer/director though to keep the quality up but they should be able to attract some fantastic acting talent.

It was frustrating though as I was sure there was more going on with the daughters/grandfather/cult in some way that never went anywhere.
Definitely. At the end of the day, there are still much bigger/powerful people behind the grand scheme of things that were going on (Rev. Tuttle). Pair that with what's been said about some of the unfulfilled story lines and they could have easily kept it going. I understand their line of thinking though and I definitely agree with them being able to land some top tier actors after S1. I hope it continues to impress.
Bunk Moreland
Can't wait.

Personally, I'm happy they are completely shifting for season 2. I'm also of the opinion that season 1 was one of the greatest seasons of television I've ever watched.

That being said, I don't need a ton of everything I like, over and over. I'm sure fleshing out the storylines would have been great also, but they wouldn't have compared to what season 1 was, and in a way it would cheapen the first season. Also, with a star-studded cast, you wouldn't have gotten both back, so you'd immediately be sacrificing things.

Pizzolato had a story to tell, and he told it how he wanted. No need to ruin it by telling more to the story just because more can be told.

Time for a new story
TCTTS
AG
Two new TV spots just hit. Hard to believe this premieres in only two weeks...

Say Chowdah
AG
The plagiarism scandal will bite this guy if season 2 doesn't hold up. Of course he denied it but the evidence speaks for itself.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
quote:
The plagiarism scandal will bite this guy if season 2 doesn't hold up. Of course he denied it but the evidence speaks for itself.
I don't know of anyone that actually cares about that "scandal" other than people that like to get angry at stuff on the internet. This show is, by far, the most buzzed about show of the summer, and I think the large majority of people have either forgot about the plagiarism allegations, never heard about that, or don't care whatsoever.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
mhayden
Buzzed about this show returning...

... but honestly more buzzed that it's well done so I can have even more excitement for Pennywise coming to the big screen under the director's helm.
Furlock Bones
AG
I read a bunch of the plagiarism talk when it broke. It all seems much ado about nothing.

Maybe he isn't being as deferential to the writers that influenced him. But whatever.
TCTTS
AG
quote:

... but honestly more buzzed that it's well done so I can have even more excitement for Pennywise coming to the big screen under the director's helm.

I'm afraid I'm about to disappoint you on two fronts...

1) Cary ***unago didn't direct this season.

2). ***unago dropped out of It just last week. He will no longer be directing.
TCTTS
AG
Seriously, TexAgs? You censor a director's last name that starts with F-u-k? What are we, a bunch of eight-year-olds? This is a message board prominently consisting of GROWN ASS MEN, from college to senior citizens. This place really does feel like it's run by a church in the 1950s sometimes.
TCTTS
AG
http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/news/a35545/true-detective-trailers-colin-farrell-mustache-secret/
double aught
AG
Try typing the anatomical, scientific name for male genitalia. Can't have that sort of filth around here!
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
Try typing the anatomical, scientific name for male genitalia. Can't have that sort of filth around here!
just call it a gentleman's sausage like this entertain board hero.

mhayden
quote:
quote:

I'm afraid I'm about to disappoint you on two fronts...

1) Cary ***unago didn't direct this season.

2). ***unago dropped out of It just last week. He will no longer be directing.

You are correct, you have disappointed me.
TCTTS
AG
First review (of the first three episodes) is in. Unsurprisingly, the basic gist is that it's pretty good so far, but not as good as the first season. Sounds like it's trying a bit too hard to make sure we know these characters are flawed as hell, which is definitely the impression I've been getting from the trailers. That said, I'm still super excited, as I never expected them to duplicate the success/quality of last season. Not to mention, as the reviewer notes, they were only shown the first three episodes. Obviously so much can happen in the next five...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/true-detective-season-2-tv-802085
TCTTS
AG
Another, even more positive review, saying the first three episodes are just as addictive as last season...

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/true-detective-review-farrell-vaughn-top-new-team-article-1.2254923
Ag_07
AG
I'm disappointed that Rachel McAdams went all Charlize Theron Monster on us.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.