*** TRUE DETECTIVE Season 2 ***

253,331 Views | 1788 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by TX scallywAG
Ol Jock 99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A benefit of not being a big fan of most modern comedy movies is I'm not having any trouble with VV in the role.
The Devil
I could use a little more Occult
98Ag99Grad
AG
quote:
Some of you guys are harsh critics. Man.

If this show doesn't have you intrigued by now, I don't know what to say. There are so many interesting angles that have yet to be unfolded.

Did I hear right yesterday that CF's dad and the current Vinci mayor were cops together?

And what exactly is the role of the Russians? Were they putting up some cash as part of VV's $5mm stack? Or is their involvement in addition to?

Agree with all of this. And I don't think it was his dad and the mayor but his dad and the chief of Vinci, the black dude.
Bunk Moreland
quote:

I think you might get it, or something definitely with a weirder "vibe" pretty soon.
LHIOB
AG
quote:

Check out the Vanity Fair article I posted on the last page. Not occult but still pretty cool if thats the direction
nickstro66
AG
This show is terrible. Last season was so much better.
65532ag
quote:
I really need something to hook me next episode, the end of which will be the halfway mark. I feel like even by this time last season the plot was a lot further along. But maybe I'm just remembering it wrong.

This is so far from the truth. The plot from S1 still had us guessing at this point as well. Making us all think the dude with the gas mask was the culprit. Stop trying to convince yourself that this season is a failure cause it isnt as good as the first season. The first season was some of the best tv I have ever seen. This was never going to be that but its still damn good tv.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
CF is carrying this show imo. He is the only character I am all that interested in.

And a point blank 12 gauge blast to the chest would kill you, rubber bullets or not.
Would that not depend upon the powder load?
2ndGen87
AG
Episode 1 was pretty badly done. I didn't know if I would continue. But Episode 2 I felt was top notch and had me riveted.

But I was mixed on CF: I love his character and wanted him on the show, but I felt a little 1970s tv in that he was blasted by a shotgun from six feet away and only had some paintball marks to show for it.

BassCowboy33
quote:
Episode 1 was pretty badly done. I didn't know if I would continue. But Episode 2 I felt was top notch and had me riveted.

But I was mixed on CF: I love his character and wanted him on the show, but I felt a little 1970s tv in that he was blasted by a shotgun from six feet away and only had some paintball marks to show for it.

The bruising and discoloration can take days to show up. Ask athletes. I once hit my hip on home play playing baseball. Three days later I woke up and had a nearly black bruise that ran from my hip all the up my chest and around to my arm. It also spread across my groin down to the knee of the other leg. Doc said the blood needed to go somewhere.

Plus, he had cracked ribs and couldn't even walk correctly.
Bunk Moreland
yes, a massive trauma shot like that causes a lot of bleeding that is really deep. That means it's probably a couple days before you see the massive bruising from an injury like that.

How quickly the bruise marks show up is dependent on how traumatic the injury is, and how much bleeding is happening inside.

*I am not a doctor, but I've had my share of broken bones and bad bruises, and I am also prone to a lot of rolled ankles.
2ndGen87
AG
Yeah but in the dream sequence right before, he had a bloody hole in his chest with a nice tight grouping.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Am liking the show and will definitely stick with it. That said, I'm not too sure about VV's neurotic gangster. It's an intresting take & humanizes him somewhat but I'm having trouble believing how be became this big crime boss in the first place. I guess the fight was supposed to clue us in to how he used to be but even that was clumsily done. Or maybe it's just me and I'm just hung up and can't see VV as scary. Am interested to see where they go with this...

I think that's intended. From what I read after VV got the part, it seemed his character was a former mob boss who had been trying to go straight for some time. A long enough time that his old connections have become suspicious of him and even believe that he isn't the man he once was. It seems that VV is having an inner tug-of-war between his desire to straighten himself out and need to be the bad guy who can figure out who is trying to screw him.
LawAg05
AG
quote:
quote:
CF is carrying this show imo. He is the only character I am all that interested in.

And a point blank 12 gauge blast to the chest would kill you, rubber bullets or not.
Would that not depend upon the powder load?

Sure it would, but the first blast was strong enough to knock CF off his feet from about 10 feet away:

It's unlikely that the shooter would load a bunch of shells with progressively deteriorating powder loads, so I think its safe to assume the powder loads of shot 1 & 2 were roughly the same. Besides, the recoil on the second shot appears to be substantial -- much more so than the first shot actually:

I'll watch the whole season, I just didn't buy this part.
Post removed:
by user
Bregxit
AG
The blast didn't knock him off his feet. Him backing up and tripping over that little stair step did that part.

The round in question is called a Stinger round. Very low power with very lightweight rubber pellets. Could it kill you from that close? It could, but it isn't likely. They hurt like hell though. Source: I have used them on people and have been inadvertently hit by them before.
Al Bula
AG
Jesus, what pathetic lives you people have to pick apart an HBO show.

The show is intriguing enough to keep me interested. If the show isn't your thing, turn the channel.
Ramrod
AG
quote:
noone complaining about the close up of the mayor and W again? odd.

I had a good chuckle that as the camera panned it was the only picture on the mantle that was shown clear.
LawAg05
LHIOB
AG
quote:
noone complaining about the close up of the mayor and W again? odd.

This is explained in this article
The Debt
****Theory*****

The Samoan set up VV, expecting one of VVs men (like the dead henchmen in the building). The shooter wasn't in the sex house to get laid it was an ambush. It doesn't make sense for caspers killer to lay low in the crime scene where he killed Casper.

The shooter stood over CF and waited a second, he then saw the shield, and decides not kill him but to incapacitate him (CF was still wiggling).

So who is the Samoan working with? Remember who steered VV to the samoan? The guy VV answers to, pays bribes. I don't recall his name or title but he is a city official. He has bank but was not asked about the the buy-in. He doesn't want VV to succeed, that would be a rival crime boss type that knows the political landscape for kickbacks.
longhornhere55
quote:
Well, Marty and Rust also had the luxury of having had it already all happen in the past, and they were just recounting the story to CID. That effect alone gives off such a different vibe for when they show the investigation, because you already have some sense of what happens in the end(both lived).

The structure is different. Having interview sessions that are vague, that then get to flash back and show you the investigation is a nice crutch to have. This season doesn't have it. Again, it's a different feel. Embrace it, and people will enjoy it more.
Best response I've read anywhere - here or blogs, reviews etc.

Critics, fans, etc need to forget about season 1 and just focus on this story. Also need to stop over analyzing and just let the story play out. But, was worried a bit that the beginning of the episode dream / hallucination scene about going to turn into Tony Soprano Season 6 dream sequence. Didn't need a whole episode or 2 of that.

On the other hand, the series creator may be setting everyone up for the Raven guy to be connected to the season 1 occult conspirators.
LHIOB
AG
A Look Into Vernon/Vinci
R0GUE
AG
This article about the real life "Vinci" is great, and it clears a lot of things up about the show, and why these guys are such scumbags.

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/lets-explore-the-corrupt-town-that-inspired-true-detect-1715997419?rev=1436211596230&utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow
AggieEE
AG
Very interesting read, guys. Great find.
rjamizon
I think the Mayor is heavily involved in the death of not the killer outright.

Two small details I've noticed:

1. Pictures of the Mayor and GW in his house and office.
2. The nude figure floating in the dish in Caspar's entry was mirrored by the girl in the pool at the mayors house.
TCTTS
AG
If the mayor is heavily involved, I think we know who's really behind it all...

TCTTS
AG
#TrueDetectiveSeason3

Chewy
AG
I will say that I complain about S2 not being as good as S1 so far but I'm still reading as much as I can trying to figure out WTF is going with clues to real life.

No other show hooks me into doing research and reading whatever I can to try and figure out WTF is going on and where it's likely going. So that's a major compliment.

At this point it doesn't even really seem to be about the murder(s) and more to do with are these characters really who we think they are so it's definitely different than S1.
Ol Jock 99
AG
quote:
#TrueDetectiveSeason3

VV already has a mole in Gotham too.

Stive
AG
Haha! Well played.

Ronnie B getting around.
turfman80
AG
My feelings about this season were perfectly summed up by a previous poster.... they are trying too hard. Just feels a little too forced. But, still better than 95% of whats available on the tube nowadays.
TCTTS
AG
Exactly. It's still damn good, but you can just feel Pizzolatto smugly typing some of this ridiculous dialogue little bit more than you could last season. And before someone says that McConaughey's dialogue was even more over the top last season - you're not wrong - but that dialogue was at least a little more interesting. There's just way too much "I'm apoplectic" "I'm feeling a little apoplectic myself" type lines going on this season.
mhayden
quote:
Exactly. It's still damn good, but you can just feel Pizzolatto smugly typing some of this ridiculous dialogue little bit more than you could last season. And before someone says that McConaughey's dialogue was even more over the top last season - you're not wrong - but that dialogue was at least a little more interesting. There's just way too much "I'm apoplectic" "I'm feeling a little apoplectic myself" type lines going on this season.

When they get all verbose It feels like watching Justified but Vince Vaughn doesn't have the dramatic acting chops to pull off the line like Olyphant or Goggins
Say Chowdah
AG
quote:

No. He's trying to prove he didn't rip off someone else as he was accused of. The real question is if he's ripping someone else off to beat his previous rip off.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.