*** TRUE DETECTIVE Season 2 ***

253,299 Views | 1788 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by TX scallywAG
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The LOST type stuff is just the same as this year, but now people aren't chasing it as heavily as they did in S1.

NP said in S1, a lot of the stuff people are finding are just context clues to the type of person or story, not clues to unlock the story.

Same applies in this season. There were the vague references that could be tied together to say "OMG Bohemian Grove!" and a bunch of people start wondering if that's where we end up. What many should have known was that they were just context clues in the sense that it will end up with some weird gatherings of powerful politicians and businessmen in the woods, and that's it.

Instead of chasing crazy theories, it has now just become fun to bash the show I suppose. I get the cheesy writing at times, and whoever made the point that so much dialogue feels like a bunch of Rustisms is dead on. Too many conversations have felt that way, and CF is the only one with the ability to deliver a lot of those lines so far.

But I am still enjoying the hell out of it. Everything this season has proven to be, based on the flaws discussed...if you knew about all of those flaws, and still watched last night and didn't like it, then that sucks. Because last night's ep was damn good.
Sea Gull
AG
Quick question...which cop is Dixon?
Stive
AG
Dead cop (killed in the big shootout) that was really grungy looking and hung out with them for parts of the first three eps. He played Dan on Deadwood and Mary's brother in There's Something About Mary.
mid90
AG
Fantastic. Thank you.
Jim01
AG
One thing is that last season I really cared and wanted to know whodunit. This season I don't particularly care who killed the guy.

Still great tv to me though.
Sea Gull
AG
Thanks
TX_AG_10
AG
Just finished the episode.. I liked it and I've got one question?

Do you think Russians/sex party hosts will go after RM's sister Athena? If they end up doing a "roll call" on all the girls that are present Athena's name will come up as missing. I wonder if RM acting as her sister will backfire on her...
Texaggie7nine
Just watched ep 6

I have come to the conclusion to tell my buddy who is just starting Season 1 to not even bother with this season.

The opening showdown with VV and CF was poorly written and poorly acted (probably because they knew they had crap for a script).

To much contrived, too much focus on art over story.

The music actually wasn't half bad. It worked well to portray the out of sorts feeling the drug was having on knife girl.
7nine
pb488
AG
quote:
...and having a "WAH LA!" moment...
Bunk Moreland
PooDoo
AG
quote:
I haven't read this thread because I don't want to ruin any potential spoilers or like engaging in theories, BUT...

I just recongnized Rick Springfeld these past two episodes.

Ricky Springfield is a buddy of mine!
Southlake

When RM was throwing up, I thought for sure some dude someone was gonna mount her...
Ramrod
AG
quote:
Just watched ep 6

I have come to the conclusion to tell my buddy who is just starting Season 1 to not even bother with this season.

The opening showdown with VV and CF was poorly written and poorly acted (probably because they knew they had crap for a script).

To much contrived, too much focus on art over story.

The music actually wasn't half bad. It worked well to portray the out of sorts feeling the drug was having on knife girl.
You should tell him to finish Season 2 and then start Season 1. That way True Detective will get better for him.

I just watched the episode last night as well. Agree with you on the opening scene. It seemed like as Velcoro was leaving they were trying to have a contest to see who could deliver the best one liner.
MathNewman06
AG
quote:
You should tell him to finish Season 2 and then start Season 1. That way True Detective will get better for him.

I think it would be interesting to get someone's opinion on S2 without them knowing the relative greatness of S1.
Objective Aggie
AG
weighing in on a few issues

(1) music did not work for me in last scene, but understand how some may like it
(2) seriously, Colin Farrell brought a skull cap to a heist? Would there be a more cliche move? Maybe a burglar mask?
Ramrod
AG
quote:

(1) music did not work for me in last scene, but understand how some may like it
(2) seriously, Colin Farrell brought a skull cap to a heist? Would there be a more cliche move? Maybe a burglar mask?

He did wear the ski mask when he went to beat up that reporter.
bangobango
AG
quote:
Just finished the episode.. I liked it and I've got one question?

Do you think Russians/sex party hosts will go after RM's sister Athena? If they end up doing a "roll call" on all the girls that are present Athena's name will come up as missing. I wonder if RM acting as her sister will backfire on her...
That was immediate thought. That her sister was going to be the one they went after since they have her name.
R0GUE
AG
quote:
quote:

Also when he killed the guy who wasn't the guy.
Texaggie7nine
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/07/true-detective-season-two-recap-roundtable-episode-six-church-in-ruins/399602/

Good write up.

quote:
Remember when Ray got shot in episode two and appeared to be dead but came back with a renewed sense of purpose and stopped drinking. No? That's okay. Neither does the show: It was essentially forgotten after the subsequent episode. Remember when half a dozen (or more) Vinci cops were killed in a bloody shootoutalong with dozen(s?) of civilians? No? Fine: True Detective's left that behind, too. Unless I missed it, there was not a single mention of this nationally historic bloodbath tonight.
7nine
dave94
AG
What are they supposed to keep saying about the shootout? The main characters have obviously dealt with all the immediate repercussions which is why they're in the job situations they're in.
Southlake
It was two months later
BassCowboy33
quote:
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/07/true-detective-season-two-recap-roundtable-episode-six-church-in-ruins/399602/

Good write up.

quote:
Remember when Ray got shot in episode two and appeared to be dead but came back with a renewed sense of purpose and stopped drinking. No? That's okay. Neither does the show: It was essentially forgotten after the subsequent episode. Remember when half a dozen (or more) Vinci cops were killed in a bloody shootoutalong with dozen(s?) of civilians? No? Fine: True Detective's left that behind, too. Unless I missed it, there was not a single mention of this nationally historic bloodbath tonight.

This is odd seeing as how both those items were mentioned multiple times in the last episode.
Texaggie7nine
quote:
Do you guys share my sense that creator Nic Pizzolatto hurriedly wrote enough material for about 30 episodes, and then even more hurriedlylike, 52 Pickuphurriedlygrabbed cards here and there and assembled them into some vague semblance of a deck?
7nine
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
quote:
quote:

Good write up.

quote:

This is odd seeing as how both those items were mentioned multiple times in the last episode.
That article was written by an individual who has not been paying attention, whatsoever, to the show, and is trying way too hard to find negative things to say. What more does he want about the tainted lands? It's obvious what was happening, does he need his hand held on why someone involved in a land deal would deliberately taint said land? What more does he want from the movie scene? Who cares who Stan is? That is hardly the point of the focus on his death or Seymon's interactions with his family. And how the hell does this guy not enjoy Velcoro's threats this season, or Velcoro's interaction with the man who raped his wife? And it seems that he entirely missed the intentional juxtaposition of Velcoro playing nice with his boy, to him letting out his inner anguish immediately after. It was supposed to be jarring and jagged, and I thought that scene was phenomenal.

This season has plenty of flaws and is undoubtedly not as good as last season, but much of the complaints seem to stem from either being negative because it's cool or not paying attention to a show that requires you to put your phone down while it's on.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Objective Aggie
AG
quote:
quote:

Ol Jock 99
AG
quote:

He has long hair that needed to be kept out of his eyes and his upper vision needed to be free of obstruction (thus no ballcap). Would you have been happier with a headband?
mhayden
quote:
quote:
quote:

Good write up.

quote:

That article was written by an individual who has not been paying attention, whatsoever, to the show, and is trying way too hard to find negative things to say. What more does he want about the tainted lands? It's obvious what was happening, does he need his hand held on why someone involved in a land deal would deliberately taint said land? What more does he want from the movie scene? Who cares who Stan is? That is hardly the point of the focus on his death or Seymon's interactions with his family. And how the hell does this guy not enjoy Velcoro's threats this season, or Velcoro's interaction with the man who raped his wife? And it seems that he entirely missed the intentional juxtaposition of Velcoro playing nice with his boy, to him letting out his inner anguish immediately after. It was supposed to be jarring and jagged, and I thought that scene was phenomenal.

This season has plenty of flaws and is undoubtedly not as good as last season, but much of the complaints seem to stem from either being negative because it's cool or not paying attention to a show that requires you to put your phone down while it's on.

While I agree with most of your points (though I disagree that they haven't been very lackluster), the "who cares who Stan is?" shouldn't be included.

When most people collectively go "Who?" when they discover a body and Seymon starts anguishing about it, why should we care? We didn't even know who the guy was and were given no on-screen display that the two were close in an way.

There's a difference between holding the audience's hand and trying to manufacture drama or concern over a character with "hey, you don't know who the eff this guy is but trust that his death is significant and just go from there".

Ol Jock 99
AG
He was Ronnie Blevins, Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 1999 dammit! We SHOULD ALL CARE ABOUT STAN!!!!!!

Objective Aggie
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Also when he killed the guy who wasn't the guy.
the guy who wasn't the guy
That would be a great user name
mhayden
Overall it seems like this show wanted to be an intricate crime story, with deep, fleshed our characters that are slowly developed with some solid action thrown in.

A kind of 2015 version of "The Wire".

Except The Wire had 60 hours to flesh it all out, so spending 30 minutes touching on a cop's homosexual demons or child custody case didn't cut into the overall narrative.

Unfortunately no one told the writers that it's a mistake trying to do that with only 8 hours of storytime,
HtownAg92
AG
Did anyone else recognize the rapist? He had a role in one of the great scenes in movie history, and was the recipient of an all-time classic line. Take a look back at this little piece of cinematic magic. Oscar snub? You're damn right.

You're the disease, I'm the cure
AeroAg2012
AG
The gloomy gal in the bar is a real artist named Lera Lynn. She's actually not bad and was featured on the Pulse of Americana playlist on Spotify this week.
Texaggie7nine
quote:
Did anyone else recognize the rapist? He had a role in one of the great scenes in movie history, and was the recipient of an all-time classic line. Take a look back at this little piece of cinematic magic. Oscar snub? You're damn right.

You're the disease, I'm the cure

Isn't he the gas station clerk in the Miller Lite Commercials?

7nine
MW03
AG
quote:
The gloomy gal in the bar is a real artist named Lera Lynn. She's actually not bad and was featured on the Pulse of Americana playlist on Spotify this week.
I'll check her out, but she sounds like a 45 playing at 33.
Post removed:
by user

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.