*** TRUE DETECTIVE Season 2 ***

253,300 Views | 1788 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by TX scallywAG
Al Bula
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pretty clear some folks just love having something to complain about and overanalyze. I for one am enjoying this show and will let it play out.
Ramrod
AG
quote:
It was a 12 gauge. Specially a defense style with a collapsible stock. You can tell by the barrel size if you have enough experience with shotgun...and I do.
Actually from the viewpoint behind the shooter when he first shoots Velcoro it looks like the shotgun just has a pistol grip with no stock at all.
Ol Jock 99
AG
I'll have to watch again, but I thought it was a "fold up" stock.
LHIOB
AG
quote:
Pretty clear some folks just love having something to complain about and overanalyze. I for one am enjoying this show and will let it play out.
New to every board on TexAgs?
Belton Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
If the shooter loaded birdshot he probably would have survived the first blast, but even with birdshot the second one at nearly point blank range would have created some serious problems. I'm curious to find out how they get around this issue, I just have trouble with the whole bean bag thing myself, what with the previews talking about him being "shot". Would they have gone to that trouble of saying that if he had been hit with bean bags?
I suspect we will learn that he was wearing a vest.

Everyone keeps saying he was shot with a 12-gauge. I could not identify the weapon myself. Can someone give me the source of the "12-gauge" info?
I figured vest as well. And it was pretty obviously a 12-guage, I own one that looks similar to the one the shooter had. I don't own a bird mask, though.
Belton Ag
AG
quote:
I'd like to overanalyze and complain about this post, but I figure I'll let it play out.
Post removed:
by user
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
quote:
New to every board on TexAgs the internet?

FIFY
Bunk Moreland
My favorite posts like that on TexAgs are semi-serious football thread discussions.

"How could the Aggies have not gone for it on 4th down?! Why would you kick a field goal down 4 with 3 minutes to go?!"

"I think I'll let the coaches who are paid to coach make those decisions, and let's let the season play out first"

Oh wow. Way to bring that hot take to a discussion board on the internet.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
regarding the CF investment. If what we're seeing is in the future, it seems pretty reasonable to think there will be a reasonably substantial flashback component to the show. Season 1 jumped all over the timeline. If there is a flashback sequence, that's probably where the CF footage we've seen comes from. There's been a lot of drama in this town leading up to where the story started that they'll want to share with us. Otherwise, it seems very "artistically cheap" to shoot him like that to have him not die - unless we find out it was a staged event to serve some plot purpose they cover very quickly in the next episode.

That doesn't make any sense, though. Like I said, in the pics/footage we've seen of Farrell from future episodes, his character is WITH Kitsch and McAdams. There's no denying that. And he hadn't met them prior to the first episode. So the Farrell stuff can't be flashbacks. Granted, some of it could be, but we know for a fact - based on set pics and trailer footage - that he has scenes with Kitsch and McAdams AFTER being shot. That said, again, he doesn't look even remotely injured in the pics/footage from future episodes, so it's definitely a bit of a conundrum. He either lives and somehow heals super fast, or Pizzolatto takes this down some weird, alternate timeline/universe route.
DannyDuberstein
AG
It's just a recreation of the Dodge City saloon scene from Vacation. We just haven't seen the last part where he pops back up yet.

Hey yellowbelly!

Ol Jock 99
AG
Yep, pistol grip only.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Just rewatched the scene a couple times. First shot was to the chest at ~10 ft. Second was directly to the midsection at ~6 inches. In NEITHER case was there ANY blood splatter. Nada. And CF sure didn't seem to be wearing a vest.
TCTTS
AG
So weird. Never anticipated being THIS hooked by a plot point so early on.
Belton Ag
AG
quote:
We want Velcoro to live, Dammit. He has to get his redemption - isn't that what this show is all about in the end?
mhayden
quote:
quote:
We want Velcoro to live, Dammit. He has to get his redemption - isn't that what this show is all about in the end?

Honestly I just want him to live so we can discover the mystery of how exactly you butt-**** a guy with a woman's headless corpse.
oragator
For anyone interested in knowing, the answer to whether Ray lives is essentially answered in the TV guide preview of next week's episode.

http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/true-detective/episode-3-season-2/maybe-tomorrow/589709/
Bunk Moreland
quote:
For anyone interested in knowing, the answer to whether Ray lives is essentially answered in the TV guide preview of next week's episode.

http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/true-detective/episode-3-season-2/maybe-tomorrow/589709/

I think you mean "the guide"

PJD Ag 10
AG
Wonder if Velcoro is in on staging it to fool whoever is filming in that house.

Eh I dunno.

This show is too smart to have someone shot like that and just say "he lived!"

Who knows, can't wait for this weekend
Waltonloads08
AG
quote:
quote:
Vince Vaughn's acting to me has been very underwhelming. Forced and wooden.
I think that is intentional. Semyon is wound so tight that his spring is about to break.

god, now we are making excuses for vince vaughn being a terrible actor on purpose?

good lord everyone, he is not a good actor. never has been. he is a name guy and played the psycho guy once, so he got the role.

its ok to make peace with it.
Waltonloads08
AG
Also, the shotgun is a 12 gauge mossberg 500 with a pistol grip, not a folder.

no idea how they play this one off.
AgPediRPh
AG
I'll be pissed if he's not dead. Otherwise, the "kill shot" was a pointless tease.

I assume Farrell will only be shown in flashbacks doing Vaughn's dirty deeds.

Oh and Rick Springfield's cameo was greatness!
TCTTS
AG

quote:
I assume Farrell will only be shown in flashbacks doing Vaughn's dirty deeds.

I will never understand posting on a thread without having read the previous posts.
unmade bed
My prediction is that Farrell is alive but the bad guy kidnaps him. The shotgun was loaded with bean bags and the 2nd shot was for the camera. Somehow the video is sent to police which is why the Vinci PD guy knows he was "shot" but doesn't say killed because they don't have a db (just trying to sound super true detective cool by using db). Maybe they think the blood on the floor in the apartment is Rays. Somehow in next epsidoe Ray gets free or is released with a message from the bad guys.
Whos Juan
AG
I think Ray has a twin brother who joins the gang to help avenge his brother's death. Either that or he's a time lord.
unmade bed
Just rewatched "death" scene. Its definitely caught on camera. Door to camera room is left open and Ray is shot for first time right in cameras line of sight. As he falls he turns over on his back, there is a close-up of is torso. No blood. He appears to be trying to catch his breathe as if he had wind knocked out of him.

2nd shot is point blank to lower abdomen. Ray definitely jerks when hit but again no blood, nor is shirt ripped apart. Obviously I know it's TV so I shouldn't expect to see actual flesh ripped apart, but still you would think with TV special FX they could make a shot gun blow a hole in him if they wanted.

Still I think I'm real life, a bean bag shot at point blank range to unprotected lower stomach area is gonna majorly **** you up. I originally thought he was shot in upper leg/hip area on ground. Going to be interesting to see how TV magic explains this one.
unmade bed
quote:
I think Ray has a twin brother who joins the gang to help avenge his brother's death. Either that or he's a time lord.

I did predict he was a time traveler on page 5 or so
The Debt
Watching it again the wound on Casper revealed in the autopsy was a 12 gauge.

Also, the psychiatrist one of his last lines when talking to the cutie, was "there are different truths" (regarding the hippie colony). The opening credits, the final stanza says something to the effect "there are hidden truths and open truths, but I don't care the difference".
unmade bed
Also is it just me or does anyone else get a major Hotline Miami vibe from the bird mask and other masks on the apartment wall?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotline_Miami_2:_Wrong_Number

Whos Juan
AG
quote:
quote:

I did predict he was a time traveler on page 5 or so
I posted from the future. That's why my post seems later.
Ervin Burrell
AG
Buck Nasty
PJD Ag 10
AG
He did linger in camera view like he was waiting for it to happen.
Bregxit
AG
Bean bag rounds only have 120 pound feet of muzzle energy (40 grams at 300 fps). Those shots were totally survivable though extremely painful. The second shot certainly could cause some organ contusions if he didn't have a vest on and it hit the right spot on his belly.

This is assuming they were bean bag rounds.

ETA there is also a "low recoil" version that weighs only 12 grams...about 40 foot pounds of energy.
BassCowboy33
CAUTION: THE NEXT PAGE OF THIS THREAD CONTAINS POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR NEXT WEEK'S EPISODE. IF TOU WANT TO BE IN THE DARK, STOP READING RIGHT NOW.

quote:
quote:
I am curious how they are going to explain him not being dead. Getting shot twice with a 12 gauge, once at close range, would cut him in half. Suspension of disbelief likely forthcoming.
bean bags would be the easiest way.

Actually, it's just a matter of physics. A shotgun blast, while violent, spreads the "impact force" around a greater area than a bullet. A Kevlar vest (without steel plates) is designed to spread the force of impact around a greater area, thus depriving penetration. The ones that law enforcement use that can be worn underneath clothing are usually able to stop a low to mid power rifle, say an AR-15 ( not always guaranteed though). A shotgun is extremely inefficient against a vest like that, even at close range. In fact a shotgun blast of buckshot or birdshot has a difficult time causing damage after passing through something as a simple as car glass. Think of it like a bullet through water. After contact with water, a bullet is only lethal for another couple of feet (unlike Hollywood movies). A vest would stop a shotgun blast at that range. It would just hurt like hell and the injury from the force of the blast might still be lethal even without penetration.

Also, my bet is he's alive. There's photos circulating on blogs of Farrell wearing serious torso bandages on set.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.