*** TRUE DETECTIVE Season 2 ***

253,379 Views | 1788 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by TX scallywAG
Hogties
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone think those three are gonna be let anywhere near an investigation after an operation just resulted in what, 8 dead cops, a dozen civilians, and 5 bad guys?

I think they are buried under that for a while.
Kashchei
AG
quote:
Anyone think those three are gonna be let anywhere near an investigation after an operation just resulted in what, 8 dead cops, a dozen civilians, and 5 bad guys?

I think they are buried under that for a while.

They go rogue like Russ and Cole.
mazzag
AG
Does VV live on contaminated land since he can't grow avocado trees? Anything grows in Southern California. Also, maybe it's why his wife can't get pregnant? Did he build his home on a land deal with caspere?
W
AG
Good thought. That's a possibility
mazzag
AG
Was that like the ghetto scene last season? All one shot? Probably not since too many cops were killed. Very intense though. And sad.
W
AG
the show definitely tried to make it as intense as last season's episode 4 conclusion.

I think the other Vinci detective bought it early on in the gun battle
ac04
this show is fantastic
FancyKetchup14
AG
quote:
Was that like the ghetto scene last season? All one shot? Probably not since too many cops were killed. Very intense though. And sad.
I was thinking the same thing but it was not one continuos shot, I think that would have been too hard to pull off. However, I did think it was a great scene and had me on the edge of my seat.

Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
How does that final scene not do it for some of yall? That was so frickin intense. This show does its action sequences incredibly well.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
mhayden
quote:
Does VV live on contaminated land since he can't grow avocado trees? Anything grows in Southern California. Also, maybe it's why his wife can't get pregnant? Did he build his home on a land deal with caspere?

I took that more as symbolic as to the issues he's having (land isn't fertile, wife isn't fertile, business venture isn't fertile).
mhayden
Thought the last shot was great... Really my only problem with the show thus far is they just try and have all the characters be too damn verbose (VV being the biggest culprit).

Normal people don't talk like that. Maybe the LA super elite do, but not these characters.

It was OK in Season 1 when it was Rust Cohle because that is the type of oddball he is/was.

But when all of these rough-and-tumble characters talk like they've got a thesaurus in their back pocket, the show comes off as trying to be way too pretentious.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
quote:
Thought the last shot was great... Really my only problem with the show thus far is they just try and have all the characters be too damn verbose (VV being the biggest culprit).

Normal people don't talk like that. Maybe the LA super elite do, but not these characters.

It was OK in Season 1 when it was Rust Cohle because that is the type of oddball he is/was.

But when all of these rough-and-tumble characters talk like they've got a thesaurus in their back pocket, the show comes off as trying to be way too pretentious.

Yeah, I had similar feelings as well. Also, Taylor Kitsch's breathiness bothers the heck out of me.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
mazzag
AG
I took it as symbolic too. But from the very beginning there's been a lot of focus on his home (actually property and view). And like I said, anything grows in SCAL. So maybe in the end, his deals have poisoned him where it matters most. He told her to have more tests done. Some type of cancer will come up if they live on contaminated land. And they wouldn't live there if not for his greed.
BassCowboy33
Wow. This show is so frickin' awesome.
Ragoo
AG
Man. When annoying detective got his head blown off you knew the ride was starting. Then at the end all you felt was "oh boy, this is not good." Great episode.
Post removed:
by user
corleoneAg99
AG
Ray's glove box.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
well we finally have something interesting and that made me sit up and go
mid90
AG
HOLY SHEEYAT
Buck Nasty
AG
CF's aura

oragator
The shootout scene was about as well done as you could do that. I think the other characters are coming together nicely, and I think if there had never been a season one this show would be considered a breakout hit. But comparing anything on television recently to those 8 episodes is unfair (short of the last 8 of BB and maybe stretch of the wire).
I do think if there is a weak link though it's VV, he has one tone and expression and has used it basically 4 episodes straight. And they can definitely cut back on the singer at that bar, and the refinery and highway shots, we get it.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
VV was wooden at best in that opening scene at his house...really stiff delivery. but he was better in other scenes...the meetings, etc.

Woodrugh (Taylor Kitsch) was really good in the morning scene and at the restaurant....and so was Ani (Rachel McAdams) in her confrontation about her relationships.

Velcoro (Colin Farrell) was less involved in this one but was solid.
BassCowboy33
quote:
VV was wooden at best in that opening scene at his house...really stiff delivery. but he was better in other scenes...the meetings, etc.

Woodrugh (Taylor Kitsch) was really good in the morning scene and at the restaurant....and so was Ani (Rachel McAdams) in her confrontation about her relationships.

People keep nagging Vaughan, but it seems to me like his character is supposed to be stiff, withdrawn, and verbose. Seems like a guy right on the edge.
Ragoo
AG
Agreed. Thing about his monologue in bed. Where he talks about being in the basement for 5 days with rats nibbling on his fingers. His childhood made him cold. His wife brings out some expressions but being in the moment of a deal or busting heads is where his personality as a character comes out. I think VV is great in the role.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:

People keep nagging Vaughan, but it seems to me like his character is supposed to be stiff, withdrawn, and verbose. Seems like a guy right on the edge.
i haven't been....but that scene was bad.....he was better when he had some venom later.

i think he just does not play subtle emotion well.

the scene was also not very well written...dialogue was forced...and complaining about a tree that won't grow the way he did...just bizarre (it may be relevant later, but it was off).

mm98
AG
quote:
Ray's glove box.
double aught
AG
Loved that shootout. Looks like our heroes were the only three survivors. I liked how Woodruh was just kinda chillin' when it ended while the other two freaked out.

We got a taste of Ani's carelessness/craziness too, with the way she chased that SUV completely out in the open, and when she was gonna bring a knife to a gun fight.

Ervin Burrell
AG
quote:
I liked how Woodruh was just kinda chillin' when it ended while the other two freaked out.

I liked/noticed this too...did a good job of pointing out that he'd seen just as bad/worse in Iraq.

Also loved the scene with Woodrough and Velcaro in the car. "Take a cure." And then gets fed up with traffic..."enough of this monkey phauck."
FtBendTxAg
AG
Wow. What a badass episode. Especially the end.
Southlake
And now it starts...
Complete Idiot
Maybe I was just in the wrong mood, but I found it a little over the top and borderline ridiculous. The body count of cops and civilians was huge, and basically everyone died except our three main characters.

Not sure why people are suggesting a trap since the four bad guys in the SUV seemed so desperate to get away.
Ol Jock 99
AG
A whole lot of those "dead" are likely wounded. Excepted the head shots of course. I'm just impressed at how fast those cops can run.

Curious to see how they handle it. IRL, RM and probably CF would lose their badges and might even face criminal charges.

It was very interesting how oddly Chief Sweethair, LT Dbag and the Mayor were acting before the raid. Almost like they knew something. Guess we'll see. And props to the Mayor for the Hill Street Blues line.
agmatt06
AG
It definitely felt like they were tipping the bad guys off about the raid coming.
OldArmy71
AG
What was the explosion?
Ol Jock 99
AG
quote:
What was the explosion?

Probably a meth lab.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.