*** TRUE DETECTIVE Season 2 ***

253,369 Views | 1788 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by TX scallywAG
ac04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MathNewman06
AG
Most valuable prostitute?
MaroonStain
AG
Finally watched Episode 5. I agree with most points on this thread. Dialogue is a little off and forced but I think everything is reaching the tipping point. I cant believe it took this long. I guess Dip wanted to make sure this season waa separate from Season 1. Goal accomplishes.
mid90
AG
Did anyone notice the opening theme song this week rhymes "fate" with "intimate"?

Pronounced it "inty - mate". Thought it was worth a lol. Guy must think he's Shakespeare.
GinaLinetti
AG
Artistic lisence, nerd
double aught
AG
I didn't hear the song so I don't know the context. But I do know that intimate (rhymes with date) is a word. It means to imply.
Whos Juan
AG
quote:
Did anyone notice the opening theme song this week rhymes "fate" with "intimate"?

Pronounced it "inty - mate". Thought it was worth a lol. Guy must think he's Shakespeare.
You shut your hoar mouth when you speak about Leonard Cohen!!!!!
Bunk Moreland
This is on the short list for least favorite line of dialogue this season:

bangobango
AG
quote:

My biggest complaint is we haven't got a better shot at her rack.

Oh, and wild theory:

She's going to hear the discussion between VV and CF in the kitchen, then she's going to be pissed at VV for doing something that terrible and she's going to go out and find CF and bone him and get pregnant with his baby, which VV will think is his and will raise as his own, bringing things full circle for CF, and we all know time is a flat circle.
ClickClackAg31
AG
quote:

It's gotta be VVs "it's like blue balls... for your heart" for me. What the heck was that?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:

My biggest complaint is we haven't got a better shot at her rack.

Oh, and wild theory:

She's going to hear the discussion between VV and CF in the kitchen, then she's going to be pissed at VV for doing something that terrible and she's going to go out and find CF and bone him and get pregnant with his baby, which VV will think is his and will raise as his own, bringing things full circle for CF, and we all know time is a flat circle.

seems like a lot to pack in 3 episodes....and lot sof timejumps to cover that....

mhayden
I liked Season 1, but not sure it deserves all the love it gets. It was amazingly acted, great dialogue -- but it had a story that left half-a-dozen loose ends open, hinted at this grand, dark conspiracy (yellow king, carcosa, political influence) but then left most of it un-revealed.

Also had more than a couple of convenient story pushes (Cohle suddenly becomes master cat-burglar and sneaks into Tuttle's home and finds a tape that one of the most powerful men in the region just didn't keep very safe).

Acting was an A+, Dialogue was an A+, but Story was a B-.

Ol Jock 99
AG
Out of curiosity, what TV shows get an A for story in your book? Break Bad took a while to warm up, and the Season 2 wandering. The Shield had plenty of untied strings and weak subplots. The Sopranos lost steam.

Not attacking; just curious.
mhayden
quote:
Out of curiosity, what TV shows get an A for story in your book? Break Bad took a while to warm up, and the Season 2 wandering. The Shield had plenty of untied strings and weak subplots. The Sopranos lost steam.

I guess I should also throw in that S1 deserved an A+ for pacing (where BB faltered a bit early on).

But I would put the overall story-arch of both BB and The Shield above True Detective Season 1 -- though naturally that's not really being fair as they had multiple seasons to flesh out said story... but I felt like the grand story they wrapped up.

Going back to the True Detective S1 thread and there were multiple pages about the Yellow King, carcosa, rituals with high-end figures, time is a flat circle, etc, etc... and I felt like most (myself included) really thought there would be this grand reveal.

Instead we got some fat slob whose family "had been around a long long time".

Which I think is probably "True" to what it's like being a detective and how cases like that go -- I just felt like from a story standpoint we were teased with a lot of this dark world with powerful figures and never really saw any of it (which is likely true in the real world, but not all that satisfying as television).
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:

for me better ones - tallking primarily about season 1 and the first 5ish episodes. I'm not sure I'd compare the full run of some of thsoe shows...of course they wandered more if they were on for years.

The Wire
Sopranos
Game of Thrones
True Detective Season 1 - i was much more engaged early on

comparable ones:

Breaking Bad - took me at least 5-6 episodes to really be on board
The Shield - wandered a while

worse:
Downton Abbey - took me a long time to be engaged fully, like mid season 2
LOST - took a season +
cr0wbar
AG
RE this last episode

Once it's revealed to Ray Velcoro that the real rapist was caught and he's left on the sidewalk and it starts to sink it- that was superb acting from Colin Farrell.

Just my .02
Btron
AG
quote:
quote:
I'd believe this if it said MVP and not VIP. What the hell is VIP supposed to imply. Notice King is pretty telling, VIP is not.

Why would Most Valuable Player be more supportive of the theory than Very Important Person ?

Good point! I actually had a brain fart and forgot what VIP stood for.
80% of the time, you're right 110% of the time
LuvMarley
I know I'm behind, but just watched Episode 4. Great 9 minute shoot out but not sure it makes up for the other 3 hrs and 51 minutes I've invested so far. Stuck with it this far because not much else to watch that is much better.
BassCowboy33
It's almost like we're watching a show that we can't figure out what's going on and the plot slowly unfolds in a way that reveals small clues one piece at a time. If I didn't know better, I'd say this was a detective show.
MSFC Aggie
AG
quote:
put me in the camp that thinks that crow head is frank's ginger lackey, who has been out there making moves on his own.

I just caught up with ep 5. I'm thinking crow head could be the mayor's son...Tony is his name I think. Seeing him with RS, lackey guy, and Russian guy got me thinking this.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Anyone else see RM on Fallon/tonight Show last night?

talking about the movie Southpaw but also they talked True Detectives a bit...and played a clip which is presumably from this weeks show.....not much of a spoiler or anything, of course they would not give anything away....but it was interesting and definitely relates to her character and the forthcoming sex club scene or whatever.....

so since i'm not sure if this is a spoiler free zone or not (outside of speculation and theories).....ya'll tell me if i should post a synposis of the scene?

........SPOILERS ALERT.............

if you want to watch it yourself you can go here and fastforward to about 24:00 mark.

http://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-show/video/rachel-mcadams-michael-pena-robert-klein/2881413

just prior to the clip if you want to see she talks about some training for the role on TD where she went on a ride-along with some NY cop she calls J-Lo (Jerry Lopez)...not much to the story really. but it starts about 21:15.

Greeze06
AG
Thought the dreary bar singer looked hotter last week when playing the trailer song.
AggiePride07
AG
NP has said that for so long we, as audiences, have been taken advantage of and spoiled where we expect everything to be wrapped up in a nice bow for us with closure on all fronts at the end of a show. He was quoted this in an article as season 1 was almost done but only had a few episodes left and it seemed like a lot of things couldn't possibly be explained in the last couple of episodes. He explained why.

I think this is precisely what NP is going for with this season as he did with the first season. He isn't going to give us all the answers. That's not how all detective work goes. Some things just never get solved/understood.

He's an against the grain type of guy. Wants a more realistic ending like it probably would be in real life. I can respect that and I like that more so than the typical Hollywood endings like:

1. Boy meets girl
2. Boy gets girl
3. Boy loses girl
4. Boy gets girl back
5. The end
mhayden
quote:
NP has said that for so long we, as audiences, have been taken advantage of and spoiled where we expect everything to be wrapped up in a nice bow for us with closure on all fronts at the end of a show. He was quoted this in an article as season 1 was almost done but only had a few episodes left and it seemed like a lot of things couldn't possibly be explained in the last couple of episodes. He explained why.

I think this is precisely what NP is going for with this season as he did with the first season. He isn't going to give us all the answers. That's not how all detective work goes. Some things just never get solved/understood.

He's an against the grain type of guy. Wants a more realistic ending like it probably would be in real life. I can respect that and I like that more so than the typical Hollywood endings like:

1. Boy meets girl
2. Boy gets girl
3. Boy loses girl
4. Boy gets girl back
5. The end

Which makes it a product of bad storytelling that is carried by its acting, dialogue and pacing (S1).

Which is why this season has struggled in comparison.

Being a storyteller but not being able to wrap up a story isn't a strength, nor is pointing out "well that's how real detective work is". There's aspects of mob life that I'm sure are incredibly boring -- but you didn't see The Sopranos try and center around it.

Again, not saying the show isn't still one of the best on right now, but to downplay it's faults by saying "well normally audiences are spoiled and this is different" is giving it far too much credit -- both seasons had a somewhat weak story, but S1 had the characters and dialogue to overcome it. Thus far S2 has not.

MM, WH and CF deserve far more praise than NP.
TCTTS
AG
Massive orgy scene in T-minus two hours, apparently.
Quinn
AG
quote:
It's almost like we're watching a show that we can't figure out what's going on and the plot slowly unfolds in a way that reveals small clues one piece at a time. If I didn't know better, I'd say this was a detective show.

There's a difference between not knowing what's going to happen and not making any sense
Quinn
AG
Also, do the ransom mysterious blue diamond represent the blue balls of the heart?
double aught
AG
"I'm gonna put my other hand up now. Don't you f****in' shoot me, Raymond."
FancyKetchup14
AG
Damn. That's a lot of blow lol
zgood10
AG
"Stick that somewhere..........like in your shoe"
zgood10
agmatt06
AG
meh.
mhayden
Apparently being a true detective in both Season 1 and Season 2 involves breaking into the mansion and stumbling upon all the incriminating evidence then stealing it.
FancyKetchup14
AG
I thought it was a pretty good episode.
Birdwatcher
AG
+1 on meh

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.