*** TRUE DETECTIVE Season 2 ***

253,351 Views | 1788 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by TX scallywAG
cr0wbar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Vince Vaughan is almost laughable at this point. "Strident" and "Apoplectic"!? I didn't know we were back in 8th grade English class. Give me a ****ing break.

Agree with some posters earlier

• 1 too many characters
  • True Detective has become self-aware
  • Still 90% better than anything else on TV at the moment

The shootout 'ruh roh' will certainly shuffle some things around - so hopefully less spelling bee VV.

BassCowboy33
quote:
Vince Vaughan is almost laughable at this point. "Strident" and "Apoplectic"!? I didn't know we were back in 8th grade English class. Give me a ****ing break.

Agree with some posters earlier

• 1 too many characters
  • True Detective has become self-aware
  • Still 90% better than anything else on TV at the moment

The shootout 'ruh roh' will certainly shuffle some things around - so hopefully less spelling bee VV.

Doubt it. Frank seems the be the guy that the whole show is running through.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
I find it refreshing to see a character using vocabulary above the 5th-grade level. Too much television plays to the lowest commom denominator.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:
I find it refreshing to see a character using vocabulary above the 5th-grade level. Too much television plays to the lowest commom denominator.
yes but when the character pretty much represents the Lowest Common Denominator....then writing for him as if he was a linguistics major just comes off as the writer being pretentious and showing off.

ac04
i think the whole point is that he's not just some dumb gangster. he is the kind of guy who is in that world but can put together 5 mil+ to invest in land deals
Objective Aggie
AG
VV is an overachieving neverdo'well. The vocabulary lessons seem over the top.

Stannis Baratheon he's not.
dave94
AG
I think it's the character trying to sound smarter than he is. It's gotta be, right?
BallerStaf2003
AG
I still have zero clue what's going on.
zgood10
AG
66 day jump...
Complete Idiot
Best episode so far
Tobias Funke
AG
That was really good
Shelton98
AG
quote:
Best episode so far

Agree.
Complete Idiot
It's not close, really. Not sure what it was but that episode worked for me.
agmag90
Ditto, thought this was the best episode.

Good lawd VV has a drink in every scene
cp2011
AG
Agree. Things finally picked up & I feel like we made some headway
FancyKetchup14
AG
I was never going to give up on this season but this episode certainly made up for the slow start to the season.

"Pain is inexhaustible. Only people get exhausted." Another killer line from Velcoro.

Oh and next episode preview...Ani/RM as a prostitute - 10/10 WB.
ac04
this show.
agmag90
When VV was in the Mayor's office and said to the Asian guy, "you don't direct me" and "go stand in front of the tank". In the running for worst line of season
65532ag
Great episode 5.
Al Bula
AG
Still intrigued and finding all the criticism laughable.
AggieEE
AG
quote:
When VV was in the Mayor's office and said to the Asian guy, "you don't direct me" and "go stand in front of the tank". In the running for worst line of season
I thought it was funny as hell.
Btron
AG
quote:
It's not close, really. Not sure what it was but that episode worked for me.

I'll tell you what it is, the show titled True Detective actual did some effing detective work! It took 4 episodes to work the Casper case. Ridiculous
AeroAg2012
AG
Well, now we know who the "True Detective" is: Ani Bezzerides. Did NOT expect that.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
CF is pissed.....rightfully so.

The Debt
VV isn't Avon Barksdale, he is Stringer Bell.
LHIOB
AG
quote:
VV isn't Avon Barksdale, he is Stringer Bell.

Hes Cheese Wagstsff
TCTTS
AG
THIS is the episode I've been waiting for. So great. They could have easily pared down the first four episodes into three and made the ending to this one the halfway mark - which would have been way more involving, IMO - but I'll take it as is. Just feels good to be excited for the plot/case/characters at again with some actual forward momentum (something I haven't really felt since last season).
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Wow....Sepinwall (HitFix) is still bagging on it...borderline says he considered not watchng any more.

oragator
HtownAg92
AG
CF had his Emmy submission tonight, without saying a word. His facial expressions when he realized he killed an "innocent" dude were fantastic.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Why the F is it not up on HBO go yet. It usually updates the same night.
double aught
AG
Hmm...I watched it on HBO Go at around 9.

Too much talk between Frank and his wife in this episode, but otherwise very good. Taylor Kitsch really brought it in the scene with mom. I'm definitely into this season. Loved the shoot out last week; seemed like it took way longer than a week to get to tonight.
Kashchei
AG
quote:
Why the F is it not up on HBO go yet. It usually updates the same night.

This. It usually comes up a few minutes before 8. I just went online and watched it on my laptop.
R0GUE
AG
quote:
Wow....Sepinwall (HitFix) is still bagging on it...borderline says he considered not watchng any more.

Just curious but why do people listen to a podcast of someone who hates what he's watching? Seems like an excercise in futility to me, or a way to make yourself overly negative. Either way I don't get it.
TCTTS
AG
Huh? Sepinwall is one of the best TV critics out there. He praises shows/episodes just as often as he expresses his dislike for them. Overall, though, he's easily one of the most positive/insightful critics working today. That said, it always drives me nuts when you guys assume "critiques" automatically = "hates." But to answer your question, a lot can be learned about things you may have missed, however good or bad the review is. I always learn something from the best writers, no matter their opinion. But I still don't understand what you're getting at. You make it sound like Sepinwall has a podcast where he just sh*ts on TV shows, and that couldn't be farther from the truth.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.