*** TRUE DETECTIVE Season 2 ***

253,358 Views | 1788 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by TX scallywAG
LawAg05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Still shot from episode 8 below - is the girl in the middle Caspere's assistant?

Here is the part of the direct tv commercial orgy scene where they used a tiny giraffe. Kinky.

jamodi83
I'm on the side that thinks Birdman is orphaned brother and that orphaned brother is movie set producer. The sister/Caspere's asst being at the movie set and that car being tied to the movie just seem to significant for it to not tie back that way.

Seems like the 90 minute finale will go by fast. Lots of action still to happen in 90 minutes. I'm hoping AB, RV and VV all survive.

Wanted Woodrugh to survive too but thought they did a great job with his end. In some ways it was easy to see coming but after the feeling of relief that he killed the other 4 guys and was home free his death swung the emotions in a big way. He was probably my least favorite character of the season but this episode really made me like him a lot. Great writing/acting in this episode on all parts.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Not to mention that his mom and fianc are still in that motel room.
Baskin
AG
I thought Woodrugh was home-free for sure and that he was about to become the biggest cock-block of all time. Lucky for RV & AB, he got got.
Quad Dog
AG
My wife, who only barely pays attention when I watch last night asked if VV was doing a good job in this. I told her is doing a really good job portraying his character, but the words that are written for him don't always portray his character very well.
COOL LASER FALCON
quote:
Not to mention that his mom and fianc are still in that motel room.
they are going to be the True Detective version of Huell.
mhayden
quote:
I'm on the side that thinks Birdman is orphaned brother and that orphaned brother is movie set producer. The sister/Caspere's asst being at the movie set and that car being tied to the movie just seem to significant for it to not tie back that way.

Seems like the 90 minute finale will go by fast. Lots of action still to happen in 90 minutes. I'm hoping AB, RV and VV all survive.

Wanted Woodrugh to survive too but thought they did a great job with his end. In some ways it was easy to see coming but after the feeling of relief that he killed the other 4 guys and was home free his death swung the emotions in a big way. He was probably my least favorite character of the season but this episode really made me like him a lot. Great writing/acting in this episode on all parts.

Eh... while i thought the episode was very good, I can't really give them credit for the Woodrugh death as "great writing" -- the villain just happens to be standing outside one of two dozen exits the hero walks out of? Even though they specifically stated the tunnels run under the entire city? An exit that he not only has to break through, but is also boarded up so you can't see in/out?

It's like sometimes this show tries to push the "true detective" aspect of things as a slow, realistic look at how a big detective case goes down, but then the writer is sick one day and some big fan of '24' had to fill in.
Sex Panther
AG
Can I get some help from one of you? I'm confused about the jewelry kids involvement...

So in 1992; Caspere, Burrus and Don King plotted a jewelry store heist to steal some blue diamonds under the cover of the L.A. Riots. Burrus and King are probably street cops, and Caspere is some kind of accountant for the force.

The jewelry heist goes off, but the owners are killed, leaving behind two orphaned kids. So now we think the daughter works for Caspere and the son is a movie photographer... And maybe the bird mask killer? So did the kids get adopted or taken care of by the dirty cops? Did we leap to that conclusion or was there specific evidence that said so?

I'm also still a little fuzzy on why Velcoro was shot with riot gear and not killed. Can anyone clue me in on the reasoning behind that?
jamodi83
It's a stretch but doesn't bother me that much. What if the chief got out and called Burress? The chief would have known which way Woodrugh was headed. Woodrugh was also told when he first walked up that he had lots of eyes on him.

Even if it was lazy writing they still swung the pendulum of emotions and had me completely hooked to the screen.
Ol Jock 99
AG
How I felt too. Part of me was like "really"...but on the whole, it worked. ditto with a couple of VV's lines.
mhayden
quote:
It's a stretch but doesn't bother me that much. What if the chief got out and called Burress? The chief would have known which way Woodrugh was headed. Woodrugh was also told when he first walked up that he had lots of eyes on him.

Even if it was lazy writing they still swung the pendulum of emotions and had me completely hooked to the screen.

It's lazy writing because it's so easily written a way that doesn't make it such a "really?" moment... Just cut the line that the tunnels lead under the entire city... Or have him travel back out the entrance he came in... Or as another poster said, have the guy waiting at the motel or in his car.

To write it like that AND have the door locked AND boarded up.

It's just tough for me to ignore stuff like that coming fresh off the "Muhahah lets discuss our evil plan and lets take these evil documents that could destroy us all and put them in this desk drawer and go back to the party."

Next episode -- villian holds someone hostage attempting to get the evil documents back.

I enjoyed this episode very much and look forward to next week -- but I'm doing so acknowlging that it's pretty cheesy and cliche writing
oragator
Looks like season 3 will happen:

HBO president Michael Lombardo was on hand at the TCA press event this week, and he took part of his time to praise Season 2, telling fans to wait and judge it after they've seen the entire shebang. And after showering compliments on creator Nic Pizzolatto and talking about how many viewers the show has this season which he says is around 12 million an episode he offered some insight into where a potential Season 3 fits in his mind, according to Zap2It.
quote:
If [Nic Pizzolatto] wanted to do another season, I told him our door is open. I'd love to do another season with himI think he's an enormously talented writer, and I have already called him and said, 'Nic, if you want to do a Season 3, let's start talking.'
http://www.cinemablend.com/television/True-Detective-Return-Season-3-Here-What-HBO-Says-75327.html
mid90
AG
I've watched too much game of thrones to think woodrugh wasn't gonna get killed....
GreasenUSA
AG
I thought Paul's scene was great, but was waiting the whole time for someone to jump out and kill him.
Capstone
AG
I'm a little confused on how police chief Holloway got connected with the Blackwater (or whatever they called it) guys... and now they are security/clean up for Catalyst. I get the connection between Holloway and Catalyst, but not Holloway and Blackwater. Anyone care to clear that up?
bangobango
AG
Three different things going on here and they're not all related, but they're falling in together.

Bird man killing - personal, not business.
Dirty cops - business. Cleaning up mess.
Russians - business, intertwined with cops and hooker deaths.

The Caspere killing is what blew the lid off of all of this and that killing was not planned by one of the business entities. Remember, whoever did that killing burned his eyes out with acid. That's personal.

I'm guessing, based on how season one goes, they never catch the birdman. It is possible the Birdman shot CF with buckshot because he never had any interest in killing anyone other than Caspere, and/or his accomplices. I think we will find out who the Birdman is, but he will get away. Instead, we will get the payoff of CF and RM taking down dirty cops/business men/ politicians, while VV will handle the Russians and the underbelly side. VV will probably step in with a "save" at some point to clear his "debt" with CF.
Big Al 1992
AG
When Ani/Rachel and CF we're naming off names at the party - did we see all of them at some point in that house? I'm lost on who is who other than the 4 main folks and a few others.
The guy VV beats up and shoots - he killed Stan? Who was this guy?
The dudes in the tunnel - where did the ring leader come from - Blackwater?
Do we know who killed the lady copy that CF found - wasn't that CF's boss?
BassCowboy33
quote:
When Ani/Rachel and CF we're naming off names at the party - did we see all of them at some point in that house? I'm lost on who is who other than the 4 main folks and a few others.

1. His name is Blake. He's been a rather integral part of this season and a constant source of ire to Frank. Frank even had Ray follow him. Originally, Frank had Stan follow Blake to see what he was up to. Blake found out and killed Stan in a manner that made people think it was the same person who killed Caspere.

2. The ring leader? You mean Don King? He's one of the Vinci cops that wanted Ray to spy on the Caspere investigation.

3. We don't know who exactly killed the DA lady.
mazzag
AG
Probably the same guy that killed woodrugh. He had been in CF's house and saw where he kept at least one of his guns.
jamodi83
Good call. Didn't they also make RV move once he wasn't on the force though.

I went back and started watching the season over again last night. Got through the first 2 episodes. Didn't really pick anything extra up from them. Definitely want to refresh my memory on some things before Sunday.
Pabby
AG
I guess I must've missed this, but how do we know it was RV's gun that was used to kill the DA?
Nagler
AG
quote:
I guess I must've missed this, but how do we know it was RV's gun that was used to kill the DA?

Because he said they probably took one of the guns from his house. He knew they were trying to set him up.
HtownAg92
AG
quote:
It's just tough for me to ignore stuff like that coming fresh off the "Muhahah lets discuss our evil plan and lets take these evil documents that could destroy us all and put them in this desk drawer and go back to the party."

Next episode -- villian holds someone hostage attempting to get the evil documents back.
Then after getting the documents back, he will tie Ani and Ray together back to back on a chair in a room with a laser or saw or something slowly inching toward them while he makes his escape.

It's not that bad, but the main baddy (possibly) waiting at the random door where Paul makes his escape was pretty weak. Some have said that they probably had all the exits covered (that would take a lot more guys in the conspiracy, but we can go with that for a minute) - but why? Paul was disarmed and surrounded by 4-5 special forces guys. Why would anyone even be worried about an escape?

Also, how did the APB on Ani get put out so quickly? You had a criminal body guard killed at an illegal sex party, surrounded by countless people who would not want their presence at the party known. She was undercover. So who not only recognized her, but also stepped up as a witness, outing himself as a participant in the party?
mazzag
AG
He was given time to vacate the property. That's supposedly why that guy was there that day.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:

Then after getting the documents back, he will tie Ani and Ray together back to back on a chair in a room with a laser or saw or something slowly inching toward them while he makes his escape.

It's not that bad, but the main baddy (possibly) waiting at the random door where Paul makes his escape was pretty weak. Some have said that they probably had all the exits covered (that would take a lot more guys in the conspiracy, but we can go with that for a minute) - but why? Paul was disarmed and surrounded by 4-5 special forces guys. Why would anyone even be worried about an escape?

Also, how did the APB on Ani get put out so quickly? You had a criminal body guard killed at an illegal sex party, surrounded by countless people who would not want their presence at the party known. She was undercover. So who not only recognized her, but also stepped up as a witness, outing himself as a participant in the party?

Nobody has to out themselves as being at the party. The Vinci PD is pretty much all corrupt. They can quickly put an APB out without specifics just to get people looking for her. All it said was wanted for questioning about a security guard shooting. They don't have to list witnesses or facts in the case to put an APB and question her.
Bunk Moreland
quote:

Because police officers and major people in major positions of power were there. As soon as a security guard got sliced and diced, I'd assume they looked at video or something and recognized her(remember last week how many on the interwebs and even this thread were crying that it wasn't believable because she was only wearing a wig-that the lieutenant and state AG would totally recognize it's her?)...well they did probably as soon as they saw security footage while still at the party.

The BOLO would grab her, and then hold her until the "proper' authorities arrived, which would no doubt be tied into those guys.

The power players at the party don't have to say what's going on to police, when they are the bosses of the police. It was a private party. End of story. Seriously, in this corrupt world we have been thrown in to, that's completely believable for this show.
PooDoo
AG
They got the bolo out because they have the cops in their pocket.

Catalyst now has a team of ex special forces guys working for them, the AG, Venci PD....

We've got VV with an orphan backstory that is going to find out that his $5 mil & life changing business deal was turned sideways because 2 orphan took revenge on their parents killers. That ought come to an interesting conclusion.

mhayden
quote:
quote:

Because police officers and major people in major positions of power were there. As soon as a security guard got sliced and diced, I'd assume they looked at video or something and recognized her(remember last week how many on the interwebs and even this thread were crying that it wasn't believable because she was only wearing a wig-that the lieutenant and state AG would totally recognize it's her?)...well they did probably as soon as they saw security footage while still at the party.

The BOLO would grab her, and then hold her until the "proper' authorities arrived, which would no doubt be tied into those guys.

The power players at the party don't have to say what's going on to police, when they are the bosses of the police. It was a private party. End of story. Seriously, in this corrupt world we have been thrown in to, that's completely believable for this show.

No one recognized her during her the security check before the bus, on the bus, or during her rounds at the party.

But the security footage (there's security cameras at the scandalous sex party, but no alarm system...) is seen and someone recognizes her... I wonder if it was a "hey that's the chick from the biggest shootout in this region's history that was plastered all over the news!" or "hey that's the chick that is part of the 3-man-team that was investigating a murder related to this sex party!".

It's been a fun ride and I'm looking forward to the finale, but a lot of people going to great lengths to defend some "24"-level writing.
mhayden
quote:
They got the bolo out because they have the cops in their pocket.

Catalyst now has a team of ex special forces guys working for them, the AG, Venci PD....

We've got VV with an orphan backstory that is going to find out that his $5 mil & life changing business deal was turned sideways because 2 orphan took revenge on their parents killers. That ought come to an interesting conclusion.

While the orphan revenge kick-started the entire investigation, VV's deal was screwed anyways -- before his death Blake told him that Casper was planning on ****ing him anyways.
suburban cowboy
AG
Is anyone else disappointed we didn't get to see more of the CF/RM sex scene? She could have at least done a full backside frame.

Bunk Moreland
who is supposed to recognize her? Blake? He'd be the only one most likely that is part of security detail or check in...and his mind is obviously a thousand ways from the girls that night, considering the business going down.

I don't think it's that out of the realm for her to not be detected by 1 guy who's attention is divided at best, but then to be noticed when multiple guys are looking at security footage of their security guard getting massacred by a chick. At that point they'd clearly know she's professional, and start putting puzzle pieces together.

I'm not trying to defend the writing or say it's clever. I long ago accepted that the writing is more Shield than Wire this year. My point is, out of all things to criticize...this one is not close to one of them imo.
Ol Jock 99
AG
She was there under her sister's name. Not a big leap to figure out who it was.

May not have been the tightest writing ever, but not as eye-rollable as the Vinci guy knowing which door Paul would exit.
Bunk Moreland
Exactly. Who was it? They do a check-list of which girls are still in the house. 2 are missing. One is a girl with the same last name as the detective, the other is the "missing person." They check the tapes, see who it is, connect the dots, and move on.
bangobango
AG
quote:

Dang man, you may want to try watching some episodes twice.
bangobango
AG
quote:
quote:

The guy waiting at the random door bugged the hell out of me, but the Ani thing is explainable. You had cops at the party. You also had pliable hookers who could be persuaded or coerced into acting as witnesses. Cops don't need to out themselves and they have enough power/influence that they can push it through to the APB without raising too many eyebrows.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.