*** TRUE DETECTIVE Season 2 ***

253,352 Views | 1788 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by TX scallywAG
PJD Ag 10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Haha I didn't mean you dude! Though we differ on this one, I enjoy reading your thoughts on shows.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
quote:
Drugs already in her blood stream, but she can make herself puke and magically sober up?

It can help. Also a rush of adrenaline and almost dying would clear you up a bit too.

By that point, it wouldn't, but I don't really give a crap about medical accuracy in TV shows not about medicine.

She was still heavily influenced by the end of the episode to the point where she had to practically be dragged to the car.
BassCowboy33
That episode made my week.
BassCowboy33
"If they don't take your life, I'll have every inch of your skin removed with a cheese grater...starting with your *****."

So. Amazing.
KidDoc
AG
I enjoyed the episode but the music during the break in was almost comically out of place. I expected to hear the MST3000 guys chime in.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
mhayden
Dont get me wrong, its the only show i tune into every week... just pointing out to those posters defending the way the story "doesnt wrap up with a neat bow" and "its different" because its a show about how true detective work goes that for the 2nd time in 2 seasons the main piece of implicating evidence has surfaced from a "detective" breaking into a mansion and getting the secret documents.

Not exactly real high brow storytelling.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Dont get me wrong, its the only show i tune into every week... just pointing out to those posters defending the way the story "doesnt wrap up with a neat bow" and "its different" because its a show about how true detective work goes that for the 2nd time in 2 seasons the main piece of implicating evidence has surfaced from a "detective" breaking into a mansion and getting the secret documents.

Not exactly real high brow storytelling.

If you want it broken open via other means, watch The Wire.
unmade bed
Say what you will about the show, but Colin Farrell is acting his ass off in this thing.

Also, wondering what happens with the 3 person special task force now that the girl they were supposedly looking for turns up dead. But they are breaking into mansions, randomly searching drawers, and knifing big russian dudes so I guess they don't give too much of a **** about protocol.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
yes no question...whatever you think of the show/writing/directing/music/cinematography.......

there is no denying Colin Ferrell is nailing this....I always though he had real talent but poor role choices...this is perfect for him.

I was not in the "give him the emmy" camp with Mcconaughey....thought he was very good and deserved the nom, but was definitely in the Bryan Cranston camp.....

but I'm ready to give it to Colin Ferrell right now. No Hamm or Cranston next year and I can;t see any of the current noms topping this either.

agmag90
I really liked this episode. CF killed it. From threatening the guy in prison, to watching "friends" with his son, to the phone call to his ex-wife. Great acting.
W
AG
yes, that was the black Vinci cop with the fro at the party. Also the attorney general that's running for governor was there.

essentially all the 'bad guys' were at the party with the exception of the Mayor
unmade bed
Are we all in agreement that the skinny white cop that gave the mexicans Casperes stuff to pawn was the lieutenant from Vinci.

Also blake (red head VV lackey) whacked stan because stan found out that Blake was working with/for the russian, right?

Also, I agree the chessani kids are the jewelry store kids and the son has been looking for "his" diamonds his whole life.
GreasenUSA
AG
quote:
yes no question...whatever you think of the show/writing/directing/music/cinematography.......

there is no denying Colin Ferrell is nailing this....I always though he had real talent but poor role choices...this is perfect for him.

I was not in the "give him the emmy" camp with Mcconaughey....thought he was very good and deserved the nom, but was definitely in the Bryan Cranston camp.....

but I'm ready to give it to Colin Ferrell right now. No Hamm or Cranston next year and I can;t see any of the current noms topping this either.

Also good for the show in that it will have to compete in the Limited Series category instead of Drama. It might have a chance to actually win Limited Series.
W
AG
yes, the Vinci lieutenant that showed up at Caspere's second house (after Velcoro got shot) appears to be the cop the (dead) Mexican woman was talking about / got the stuff to pawn
El Mero Guero
quote:
Drugs already in her blood stream, but she can make herself puke and magically sober up?

Not to mention that is not at all what Molly does to you.
oragator
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:

It probably wasn't Molly. Real easy to lie to a sex girl to get her to take whatever.
oragator
My favorite part of all this (besides that party), is the whole Stan storyline. Apparently Stan never even had a line in the series, but his death is a huge deal. I had to look up who he was, he was in two scenes apparently, one where he was standing behind Vaughn, and one where he maced a guy for Vaughn. There are whole websites dedicated to telling people they didn't miss anything.
El Mero Guero
quote:
quote:
quote:

It probably wasn't Molly. Real easy to lie to a sex girl to get her to take whatever.

Non-hallucinogens that make you feel good are what you would give high end hookers at a gathering like this. Not acid or bath salts or whatever it was they gave her.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Non-hallucinogens that make you feel good are what you would give high end hookers at a gathering like this. Not acid or bath salts or whatever it was they gave her.

I don't understand. You don't know what is was they gave her, so how can we know? All the viewer knows is som chicks said, " It's, like, pure Molly" and another girls says whatever it is will make her feel good. Bath salts and acid aren't even on the table.

In general, agree that we can't for sure know what is was and that they were likely deceived about the drugs.
Sex Panther
AG
This is a weird tangent, and I don't want to act like I'm a PHD in recreational drugs, but it's a sex party... what else would you give them other than Molly? It was probably supposed to be pure MDMA.

The whole point was so that Ani would lose control and hallucinate showing us a very important and previously unknown aspect of her character. She was molested at the compound, explaining why she is the way she is. Distrustful of men, angry, rebellious against her father's lifestyle, and even some explanation for her sexual kinks. It also explains why she probably became a detective in the first place.
meggy09
AG
What if Blake is chads bio dad and he gave VV the info in beginning to throw off that investigation. VV can't tell cf yet because he needs to find out what Blake is into/get hard drive. Blake used Leo connections to frame the recent arrest and cause issues between vv and cf because he knows vv is getting suspicious.
BassCowboy33
Another item that I find wildly intriguing is the severe discrepancy of opinions on this season. You can roll through this board topic or weekly reviews on the webz and find everything. One person says CF sucks, another says he's great. Someone says VV isn't any good, while another lauds his portrayal of the over-the-hill mobster whose heart isn't into what he's being forced to do. Someone says Taylor Kitsch is bad, another thinks his inner torture at what he is is fascinating. Some people hate that the plot is too deep to follow, others like a story that unfolds as it goes and doesn't baby you with its findings.

To me, it's the coming to a head of different styles of viewers. This season is darker (at least to me) than Season 1. It's like someone took The Usual Suspects and dropped it a vat of hemlock. A lot of people want the issues spelled out for them in the first episode or two and then want to spend the rest of the show solving a case. This season has taken the approach of the viewer learning more about the case as the show goes on. Instead of everything becoming clearer, it becomes more convoluted. It's a really cool way to do a show. That kind of thing isn't for everyone.
unmade bed
quote:
What if Blake is chads bio dad and he gave VV the info in beginning to throw off that investigation. VV can't tell cf yet because he needs to find out what Blake is into/get hard drive. Blake used Leo connections to frame the recent arrest and cause issues between vv and cf because he knows vv is getting suspicious.

Doubt they can unwind all that in 2 remaining episodes.

Besides, CF looked that dude in his eyes and knew he did it, so I'm gonna go with CF because I am pretty sure the penalty for going against CF is death, or at least a severe beating.

But I do think Blake is the guy that gave the innocent guy to VV to give to CF, so I do think VV will let CF in on that little tidbit when it's time, and that will result in the aforementioned death/severe beating of Blake.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Bad ass episode. Amazing last 3. Some of you are off your rockers.

I think it's just that some of you have something against particular cast members and can't see through it.

Also, mcadams looked super hot in black wig.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Bad ass episode. Amazing last 3. Some of you are off your rockers.

I think it's just that some of you have something against particular cast members and can't see through it.

Also, mcadams looked super hot in black wig.
mid90
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

It can help. Also a rush of adrenaline and almost dying would clear you up a bit too.

By that point, it wouldn't, but I don't really give a crap about medical accuracy in TV shows not about medicine.

She was still heavily influenced by the end of the episode to the point where she had to practically be dragged to the car.

She was the one dragging the missing girl to the car.
mid90
AG
I will say that I lived the music last night. The eerie-classical vibe was fantastic, as it represented the high brow tuxedo party which ended up being an effed up orgy. I think TCTTS compared it to Hitchcock, which is spot on.

I'm also digging VV being somewhat of a 4th "true detective". Seeing the case from the POV of the seedy-underbelly of Vinci adds a great dimension to the show.

I still think some of the dialogue is off, as well as the pacing of the show. Part of how I enjoy TV/movies is pointing out what I feel to be inaccuracies, which is why most of my posts on the thread come off as negative. But when it's all said and done, I'm definitely enjoying this season.

And I hope VV ****s up those mexican *******s that killed Irina, just to show him they could. *******s.
Objective Aggie
AG
preface: there is something about the show that makes it different than anything else and a must see.

HOWEVER:
I have struggled with the overly complex plot and who is who.
But this week the plot was really hard to believe. Most times you just let the plot go. But I just couldn't this time:

Let me get this straight. Two guys with no map or houseplan jump a security guard at the compound. Then they happen to walk right by the office. They break into the office. Really ominous plans just happen to be in the unattended room that they happen to break into - - right on top. They then just walk out and happen to catch up with Ani.

So with Ani, we have her sneaking into the house. OK, I can go with that. But we are to believe that she just happen to find her missing person (even while she was drugged up) in this house full of people. She slices a security guard and somehow barely makes a scene. She is able to get out of the house and just happens to meet her two best friends outside. Right at the same time.

NO WAY.
The odds that they break into the room that contains much needed documents is quite low. The odds that top secret documents are there for the taking just seems crazy. I mean, they could have easily walked into the kitchen.
mhayden
quote:
Another item that I find wildly intriguing is the severe discrepancy of opinions on this season. You can roll through this board topic or weekly reviews on the webz and find everything. One person says CF sucks, another says he's great. Someone says VV isn't any good, while another lauds his portrayal of the over-the-hill mobster whose heart isn't into what he's being forced to do. Someone says Taylor Kitsch is bad, another thinks his inner torture at what he is is fascinating. Some people hate that the plot is too deep to follow, others like a story that unfolds as it goes and doesn't baby you with its findings.

To me, it's the coming to a head of different styles of viewers. This season is darker (at least to me) than Season 1. It's like someone took The Usual Suspects and dropped it a vat of hemlock. A lot of people want the issues spelled out for them in the first episode or two and then want to spend the rest of the show solving a case. This season has taken the approach of the viewer learning more about the case as the show goes on. Instead of everything becoming clearer, it becomes more convoluted. It's a really cool way to do a show. That kind of thing isn't for everyone.

I think what puts me off about it is that for 5-6 episodes it ties to be one thing "a slow, plodding "true detective" story that is very character driven and somewhat procedural -- and at times not all that exciting because much of real detective work likely isn't... So when they track down random characters that seemingly didn't have much involvement at all in the story previously, you accept it because you assume that's what it's really like in detective world.

Then suddenly this episode the 3 detectives go CTU and infiltrate a heavily guarded mansion - with McAdams character going in as a plant to a party with important figures in the community -- yet she doesn't seem to think she'll run into someone that knows she's a cop that is assigned to the big mystery that is connected to... the important figures in the community?

And the other two detective after dispatching a few armed guards (that apparently don't communicate via walkie-talkie) just happen to be at the window and overhear two of the "villians" discussing their plans out loud then taking the secret incriminating papers and locking them in the desk drawer and going back out to the party, only for the detectives to break in and steal the evidence? That's not a "true detective", that's a bad Bond movie.

It was bad enough when MM became super-cat-burglar and broke into the Tully mansion, located and cracked the safe and stole the incriminating video tape, but now they went and did it again.

It's a extremely well-acted show that has a story that collapses under it's own weight. As a previous poster pointed out, suddenly "Stan" is a key element of the whole mystery -- yet no one really knew who the heck he was.

It's not that some viewers need things spelled out for them, but don't jump from M to Z with throw-away characters and suddenly wholly unrealistic events.
Quinn
AG
quote:

As a hater, I will address some of these issues:

- pretty much everyone thinks CF is doing a great job, don't think there is too much disagreement about him. He's the best part of the show.

- VV has been really bad, though he was okay in this past episode (besides the Mexican standoff line, which I found super cheesy).

- Kitsch is either mumbling or yelling with a dead eye look on his face. Texas Forever, but he's not a good actor IMO.

- the plot isn't too deep to follow, it's just nonsensical and has given me no reason to care about the big huge overall mystery and how it's all connected. I care about CF and RM as characters, but what's my draw to the larger Vinci story? They have given my no reason to care about the corruption and magic blue diamonds.

Anyways, I know I'm in the minority, but just offering my perspective.
agmatt06
AG
quote:
quote:

- the plot isn't too deep to follow, it's just nonsensical and has given me no reason to care about the big huge overall mystery and how it's all connected. I care about CF and RM as characters, but what's my draw to the larger Vinci story? They have given my no reason to care about the corruption and magic blue diamonds.

I agree with this and really think it's a reaction to season 1 more than anything.

We went through season 1 trying to figure out wtf was going on the whole time and trying to piece everything together only to find out that they were steering us in directions that wouldn't be resolved.

Now this season we are more aware of that and we are more apt to recognize the nonsensical parts and wonder why the are there. So far CF and RM backstories at least justify some of their current actions, but TK backstory and swinging both ways with guys/girls really has had no bearing on the story, and likely won't affect the major plot at all. The whole stuff with the actress is just a distraction so far. It looks like the are revisiting it next week, so maybe something will change...
agmag90
quote:
preface: there is something about the show that makes it different than anything else and a must see.

HOWEVER:
I have struggled with the overly complex plot and who is who.
But this week the plot was really hard to believe. Most times you just let the plot go. But I just couldn't this time:

Let me get this straight. Two guys with no map or houseplan jump a security guard at the compound. Then they happen to walk right by the office. They break into the office. Really ominous plans just happen to be in the unattended room that they happen to break into - - right on top. They then just walk out and happen to catch up with Ani.

So with Ani, we have her sneaking into the house. OK, I can go with that. But we are to believe that she just happen to find her missing person (even while she was drugged up) in this house full of people. She slices a security guard and somehow barely makes a scene. She is able to get out of the house and just happens to meet her two best friends outside. Right at the same time.

NO WAY.
The odds that they break into the room that contains much needed documents is quite low. The odds that top secret documents are there for the taking just seems crazy. I mean, they could have easily walked into the kitchen.
I agree you kind of had to roll your eyes because stuff happened coincidentally. But I also appreciated that they didn't do some montage explaining exactly how they planned everything, which every cop/heist/detective show does. You know everyone crowds around a table with a map, as each character points to the map and says something like "and while your distracting the guard I'll be sneaking into the control room." I think the directors expect us to think the detectives prolly thought this out
LawAg05
AG
I enjoyed this episode and I think TD is still better than most shows on television, but it doesn't hold a candle to first season.

The plot hole I haven't seen discussed on here is with CF's ex-wife wanting to tell her son he is the product of rape. She wants a paternity test to take full custody and get CF out of the picture? OK, I can buy that. She wants to tell the kid he is the product of rape because he "has a right to know"? Give me a break. No mother would take that stance and I doubt a family law judge would just overlook such a ****ty parenting choice. CF eventually gives up his son IN EXCHANGE for her not telling the boy. He is giving up his rights for something that I just can't believe would actually happen. Why on earth would any mother think that way? They wouldn't. It is just a plot device to move CF's character arc, but unbelievable in my opinion.
HtownAg92
AG
I'm in the camp that thought the music was wrong for the scene. They set up to the scene perfectly with some gritty, ominous industrial-type music when showing the overheads of the bus. You could sense that something sinister and big was about to go down. Then it shifted to Henry Mancini.

The rest of the mansion scenes required some massive leaps and suspension of disbelief, but it was entertaining. Don't know why we needed so much time in Ep8 devoted to making sure a secondary character's kid is given some closure about his dad's death.

CF is going to win an Emmy this year, without a doubt, and RM is pure smoke when she cleans up.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.