*** TRUE DETECTIVE Season 2 ***

253,373 Views | 1788 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by TX scallywAG
agmag90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Why couldn't have Ray's audio recording uploaded at least? Give us something!
I actually thought that was going to be the reason he drove into the forest. So he could climb up some mountain for better reception to send the message. I thought they were going to do it Lone Survivor style.
Objective Aggie
AG
There was a certain stridency in the whole series. But frankly I'm apoplectic.

After watching the finale, there was no payoff. It was like blue balls in your heart.
Objective Aggie
AG
And why were they running away in the last scene. It had been about a year. They were in Vanezuela. Half the people that wanted them dead were already gone. Why be on the run in the middle of the night like that?
mhayden
quote:
And why were they running away in the last scene. It had been about a year. They were in Vanezuela. Half the people that wanted them dead were already gone. Why be on the run in the middle of the night like that?

Because based on how the whole season went, there was a good chance Burris was waiting behind any one of the doors to off them, even in Venezuela.

Seriously... the main killer was a guy that received 10 seconds of passing screen time in Episode 3, and the guy masterminding the the corridor/political side of things was a guy that had maybe 2 lines in the whole season (also back in an early episode).

If you are telling yourself that is a well done detective story, you're just kidding yourself.
Objective Aggie
AG
Fully expecting Burris to take out Tyrion in the first episode of next seasons GOT.
mm98
AG
quote:
Filling expecting Burris to take out Tyrion in the first episode of next seasons GOT.

R0GUE
AG
I guess I'm one of the few who loved this season, and even loved the finale. I realized as I was watching the finale, that Ani's full name "Antigone" was this years "Yellow King". The season WAS a Greek Tragedy. It wasn't just like a Greek tragedy, like a lot of shoes do, it had all the elements of an Ancient Greek play.

It had a Chorus. Both the intro song, which kept changing lyrics, but moreover, the bar singer, who kept singing the same refrain every time we saw her.

It had a true Monologue, as Ray recorded his last words for his son, only to have them be heard only by the audience.

Every character had "daddy" or "mommy" issues, just like Oedipus, Antigone, Electra, etc.

Velcro has a moment of "pathos" where he feels he's untouchable and decides to visit his son, which is ultimately his downfall.

Frank takes a trip through Hades where he is confronted by the spirits of his life before he dies.

Oh and for good measure lots and lots of sex, even an orgy.

So for those of you who hated this season, perhaps you are just not a fan of Greek Tragedies.
unmade bed
quote:
So for those of you who hated this season, perhaps you are just not a fan of Greek Tragedies.

I don't have an issue with Greek Tragedies, but when you make a show called True Detective, if you want to get all clever and make it an undercover Greek Tragedy, fine, but at least make the "detective" part of story at least half decent.
R0GUE
AG
Well in a lot of ways the "noir" detective genre owes a lot to tragedy as well. Think about Chinatown and The Maltese Falcon. Neither of those have especially happy endings. I think this season was a pretty good detective story in that vein. The town of Vinci was a character as well, just like Chinatown was.
Complete Idiot
There were probably Greek Tragedies that were staged and received poor reviews. A style does not make it inherently well executed.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
I liked the role of the woman with the scars -- she ended up being a key player in the last episode -- getting Ani out of the country.

and Ray & his son at the end along with the paternity results

This. I'm also going to hold onto the idea that the baby with Jordan was VV's....makes me feel a little better about the ending.

Sorry to burst you bubble but RM says she owes it to his sons .

It's Velcoro's

Edit: sorry. Late to the thread
and of course she takes the kid when they exit/leave.

they played it that way so you thought that when she came in as Jordan was holding the kid....but RM takes the kid and like you said she earlier mentions "his SONS"...i was confused by that at the time.....then i went "ohhhhh" ok.
mid90
AG
That's pretty interesting.

Doesmt mean there wasn't some terrible writing/plot though.
agmatt06
AG
Had Ray been killed outside his son's school, it would have been perfect.

Having it be blatantly obvious he was being tracked was just silly.
RC_57
AG
Read on IMDB that the reporter Ani gave the story to was the same reporter Ray beat up earlier.

Interesting, if true.
GreasenUSA
AG
quote:
Read on IMDB that the reporter Ani gave the story to was the same reporter Ray beat up earlier.

Interesting, if true.

it was, indeed. Ray even told her to seek him out earlier in the episode.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Welp, sounds like I didn't miss much with this season. First episode did nothing for me and never bothered with the rest.
Bunk Moreland
Yeah Ray told her to find him.

Yes of course that was Ray's kid with Ani. Good to see Nails is still helping them a year down the road. Wonder if he's getting any from Jordan.
Quinn
AG
Grantland: 'True Detective,' Season 2, Episode 8: 'Omega Station'

quote:
Here's my case for the second season of True Detective. It was essentially about four people who were swallowed up by the world. They were neglected, abandoned, or abused children; kids whose only crime was being born. They grew up to be damaged, lonely, and occasionally cruel adults. They were brought together for what they thought, briefly, was a higher purpose the pursuit of justice, which meant different things to each of them. Maybe they all saw this quest as a way of starting over or making up for what they had done, or what had been done to them. They had their reasons. But their union was really just another cosmic prank. They were all doomed, and in the end, the world the desert, the forest, the ocean, the dark places underground swallowed them back up. It was done with them, if it ever noticed them at all.
quote:
True Detective writer Nic Pizzolatto has a pretty clear worldview: The act of living is largely torture, and the only relief is found in the fleeting moments of camaraderie we have with our fellow sufferers a night in a motel room, staring at the stars outside of a hospital. Sooner or later, the monster comes for us all. It came for Paul Woodrugh, Frank Semyon, and Ray Velcoro. Ani Bezzerides skated, but she can never go back to being herself, even if she wanted to. She's got a child who will never know its father, and a traveling partner who talks like she's been drinking dirty Sprite and watching Douglas Sirk movies. Seriously, can you imagine road-tripping with Jordan? Can the planet just be a little lonelier?

The defense rests. When the endless scenes of one person mumbling to another recede from memory, and I want to think fondly of these eight episodes, this is what I will think of. Broken shards of people, swept away into the dust and dirt of California.

quote:
Everything else about this season is essentially nonsense. I don't mean I didn't understand what happened though it's worth noting that whenever an explainer about a season of television is more critically lauded than the season of television it's explaining, it's a pretty clear indication of how messily a story is being told. I mean that this season ofTrue Detective didn't amount to anything.

There was no exhilaration in any of the last two or three episodes' info dumps. There was no sense of justice when Ani delivers the whole sordid tale the vast conspiracy of shadowy conglomerates, local and state officials, various arms of the law, the Russian mob, Mexican cartels, presumptive governors, toxic waste dumping, and L.A.-riot-era diamond heists to the Los Angeles Times reporter who was once beat up by one of the story's main characters. I didn't feel any ache for Frank and Jordan as they role-played being angry at one another, throwing their dumb rings out the stupid door and having several more minutes of their moronic conversation about designs and babies and gray and us. I didn't even really blink when the second and third of the four main characters of this show were killed.
quote:
Instead we quickly plunged back into the flat circle of questions with unsatisfying answers. Why did Ray drive into the redwood forest? Why did Jordan meet Frank at Union Station and then act surprised when he told her she had to leave town? Did anyone go pick up those rings? Are Paul's girlfriend and mom still in that hotel room? What's on television? Did this criminal conspiracy to buy and sell land parcels off the central coast rail line really hinge on a cash handoff in the middle of the woods? Does anyone care who Chad's father is? And while we're talking about Chad, how does he explain the glass-encased police badge he brings to Dungeons & Dragons games? CHAD!

You know things have gone south when you don't even care enough to find the answers. Did you get sad when Ray or Frank bought it? Were you relieved that Ani got away? Were you happy when Osip and McCandless got theirs? Were you mad when Tony Chessani rose to power?

No, right? Pizzolatto tried to shove a David Lynch movie into a crime novel and adapt it into an eight-episode prestige cable show that was often paced like a 22-episode network television show and performed like a screwed and chopped soap opera. All the ten-gallon hats and shopping bags full of land deeds and hard drives couldn't fix the damage. In the end, Pizzolatto tried to recap his own show weighing down characters with the burden of explaining his own story, and then discarding many of those same characters, just to try to steal back some gravitas.

What a waste. Hadn't these people suffered enough?
agmag90
I thought it was weird too how the street under Ray's car looked completely wet which allowed Ray to see the tracker. I guess you could say A/C drip, but I thought it was a stretch.
Quinn
AG
quote:
I thought it was weird too how the street under Ray's car looked completely wet which allowed Ray to see the tracker. I guess you could say A/C drip, but I thought it was a stretch.
I thought that was gas and that they were going to blow up his car. Anyways, once he knew they were tracking him, why not drive to the FBI office? Why drive up to the mountain for a sure death? I get that he wasn't going to lead them to Ani, but this was another piece of nonsense in an episode full of it for me.
MW03
AG
They could have let Velcoro's message get through. That was pretty miserable.
chase128
AG
quote:
quote:
I thought that was gas and that they were going to blow up his car. Anyways, once he knew they were tracking him, why not drive to the FBI office? Why drive up to the mountain for a sure death? I get that he wasn't going to lead them to Ani, but this was another piece of nonsense in an episode full of it for me.
My wife and I thought it was gas at first, too. We had a similar reaction as you to how it played out.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
They could have let Velcoro's message get through. That was pretty miserable.

It sure was.

But had the camera panned back and the phone showed the upload went through, you'd have the scores of critics online saying "oh and of course the freaking text went through, even though he couldn't get it to upload when he initially entered the woods, but going deeper and deeper into them, with the canopy covers from the trees, somehow it magically went through so conveniently at the end."

You'd literally be reading that. It became a "hater" contest of critics and message board people that basically any decision they made in the finale was going to be torn apart.
mhayden
At least this time the cell phone with no reception wasn't used in lieu of good writing like it was in S1
jschroeder
Give it up, it's not a hater contest.

People genuinely didn't like the season for a multitude of reasons.
ItsA&InotA&M
I missed something. Where were Ani, Nails and Jordan going?

Ani said they had a long journey ahead of them,.
InternetFan02
AG
I enjoyed this season - it became laughably bad. It was entertaining watching everyone make fun of it here and in the blogs. Pizzolato apparently is an arrogant ***** so that helps. After the 4th episode or so we pretty much embraced how awful the dialog was and just enjoyed watching the trainwreck. Nothing necessarily wrong with that. Some shows like True Blood's final seasons got to the point of being unwatchable. I hope there's a 3rd true detective season.
Southlake
1. Anyone catch the BIRD on the billboard on the hwy?

2. i thought the baby also could've been Riggins'. Or at least represent Riggins, VV and RM in a way
Complete Idiot
I wanted it to be good, stubbornly watched the whole way through, and found some enjoyment in watching. But if there is a hater contest consisting of people complaining about little details then here is my entry:

Ray goes to see son, who just happens to be outside, and just happens to see Ray, and just happens to have out on full display the award Ray told him to not let anyone know he had and he has his "VELCORO" on display despite his dad being mentioned by name as a suspected murderer on TV, and then father and son.....SALUTE EACH OTHER???

I mean, that was just too cheesy for me - honorable mention was struggling through the ridiculous Frank and Jordan send off that dragged on and on.

I can accept the random wet ground reflecting the nonsensical HEY I'M A HIDDEN TRACKING DEVICE vivid LED light, for some reason the ham handed emotional scenes bother me more.
HtownAg92
AG
quote:
Also the detective work that Ray did to get from the jewelry store sister to the brother being the film set photographer, was nothing short of amazing. Ages are pretty close. Bingo. Mysetery solved. True detective.
Did they even talk to him when they visited the set, months before? Why would they have any reason to remember him? How would they know his age?

The "coincidences" in this season almost reached Newsroom levels of ridiculousness. Almost.
Pabby
AG
quote:
I wanted it to be good, stubbornly watched the whole way through, and found some enjoyment in watching. But if there is a hater contest consisting of people complaining about little details then here is my entry:

Ray goes to see son, who just happens to be outside, and just happens to see Ray, and just happens to have out on full display the award Ray told him to not let anyone know he had and he has his "VELCORO" on display despite his dad being mentioned by name as a suspected murderer on TV, and then father and son.....SALUTE EACH OTHER???

I mean, that was just too cheesy for me - honorable mention was struggling through the ridiculous Frank and Jordan send off that dragged on and on.

I can accept the random wet ground reflecting the nonsensical HEY I'M A HIDDEN TRACKING DEVICE vivid LED light, for some reason the ham handed emotional scenes bother me more.

This was brutal for me as well. They talked in circles for 5 minutes.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Why did they even need a tracking device on his car if they were going to follow him super obviously the whole time?
Objective Aggie
AG
In case you missed it, leaked photos from the set of Season 3

Should be a great season with lots of true detective work involved.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
If you want the ultimate...
Objective Aggie
AG
quote:
Why did they even need a tracking device on his car if they were going to follow him super obviously the whole time?

As silly as this is, this can be explained.

The entire team of bad guys was waiting at the school because of course he was going to stop by one last time. Of course it would be recess. For his son's grade, at that time. Of course. Really, nothing awkward about a guy in a mullet using binoculars to watch school children on a playground. Nope.

Anyhow, they just happened to be camped out waiting for Ray to show up. But rather than just kill him, they wanted him to lead him to Ani because they needed both of them dead. But did they really have a tracking device with them? Shouldn't Ray have just driven to the fence, unrolled the window, and gotten out of dodge? Why would the most wanted man in town walk in a neighborhood freely exposed?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.