***Official 2021-2022 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

162,202 Views | 2235 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by M.C. Swag
gigem1223
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yea just rewatched it. Brunson was sleep walking for half of it. He had a lane to drive it and pop it out to a likely wide open shot.
gigem1223
Mavs in 6. Luka is back, Utah got away with a lot and Brunson did not play well. Still had a chance to win.
jeffdjohnson
Luka giving up the and 1 to Mitchell with 30 seconds left was also huge. Pretty much couldn't have botched that any worse when you are up 4 with 30 seconds left. Should be series over right now.
Infection_Ag11
AG
jeffdjohnson said:

Luka giving up the and 1 to Mitchell with 30 seconds left was also huge. Pretty much couldn't have botched that any worse when you are up 4 with 30 seconds left. Should be series over right now.

Mitchell traveled bad, took three steps and shuffled his feet
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
500,000ags
AG
Things essentially went perfect for Utah after Luka hit that 3.
MW03
AG
I forgot Dwayne Wade had an ownership stake in the jazz.

Carlo4
AG
I honestly think you are going to have multiple ejections on Monday. I think Dallas is tired of the cheap shots and is getting pushed around a little.

I didn't realize multiple elbows to faces doesn't warrant a single foul.
South Platte
1. Luka giving up the 3 point play to Mitchell is horrible basketball. Jazz were done.

2. Why is Luka passing to Powell with 20 seconds left, 12 on the shot clock? Dangerous pass into a double team that was bailed out by a foul. A shot shouldn't have gone up with more than 3 on the shot clock, which would have given the Jazz about 7-8 seconds to win the game. Maybe we even make the shot or get the rebound.

3. Why didn't we advance the ball to the other side of mid court after the timeout after a made basket?

4. Dinwiddie from 27 feet is the best we can do?
Just Tired
Infection_Ag11 said:

jeffdjohnson said:

Mitchell traveled bad, took three steps and shuffled his feet
this x1000... crow hopped with both feet moving back about an inch.
dave94
AG
The refs were terrible today.
Grapesoda2525
South Platte said:

1. Luka giving up the 3 point play to Mitchell is horrible basketball. Jazz were done.

2. Why is Luka passing to Powell with 20 seconds left, 12 on the shot clock? Dangerous pass into a double team that was bailed out by a foul. A shot shouldn't have gone up with more than 3 on the shot clock, which would have given the Jazz about 7-8 seconds to win the game. Maybe we even make the shot or get the rebound.

3. Why didn't we advance the ball to the other side of mid court after the timeout after a made basket?

4. Dinwiddie from 27 feet is the best we can do?

Reminds me of when Ginobli fouled dirk on the 3 point play in game 7 in San Antonio.
True Anomaly
AG
Carlo4 said:

I honestly think you are going to have multiple ejections on Monday. I think Dallas is tired of the cheap shots and is getting pushed around a little.

I didn't realize multiple elbows to faces doesn't warrant a single foul.
You're may be right, but I really hope not. Cuz if there's a fight with multiple ejections, there's no way Luka isn't gonna be one of them, and he's clearly shown he's not afraid to fight anyone in the league
DannyDuberstein
AG
As great as Luka is, yesterday the flow of the offense just seemed to bog for stretches with basically 4 guys watching Luka. I know that's always a battle with a superstar talent and his stat line was great as far as scoring. But only 3 assists on his part. Not saying it's all his fault, but they all need to keep flowing and attacking.
HawthornAggie
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

As great as Luka is, yesterday the flow of the offense just seemed to bog for stretches with basically 4 guys watching Luka. I know that's always a battle with a superstar talent and his stat line was great as far as scoring. But only 3 assists on his part. Not saying it's all his fault, but they all need to keep flowing and attacking.

I think our offense went into droughts primarily because our bench shot 21%. Luka lead the team in points, rebounds, assists (4), and shot over 50% including 40% from 3. He also had the best +\- on the team.
DannyDuberstein
AG
They did, but there was an awful lot of standing around that I didn't see the past few games. Don't mistake that I'm blaming Luka. He got his and is always going to get his. But with some of the supporting cast, it seemed like the mindset became tentative, and shots did too. Kleber looked rushed and shaky vs cold blooded. Luka leading the team with 4 assists when he averages 9 and Brunson averages 5 says a lot about how stagnant movement was
Ol Jock 99
AG
1st game without Luka was out of synch too. Hopefully they'll be back to form next game.
HawthornAggie
AG
Great point on the assist average. Probably would have helped offset the 4 turnovers.
J.P. 03
AG
South Platte said:

This was a hot topic on the postgame show on The Ticket. Studio guys had the same question but Followill said apparently this started with Carlisle and carried over into J-Kidd. Obviously they'd advance it if there were only 5 seconds left, but with the time they had left, apparently the strategy they employed gives more space for the Mavs to operate to ensure a successful inbounds pass, and it also allows them to cross mid court with some forward momentum vs starting from standing still.

Doesn't really make sense to me either, but apparently they've been doing this for a couple of years now and don't plan to change.
EastSideAg2002
J.P. 03 said:

South Platte said:

This was a hot topic on the postgame show on The Ticket. Studio guys had the same question but Followill said apparently this started with Carlisle and carried over into J-Kidd. Obviously they'd advance it if there were only 5 seconds left, but with the time they had left, apparently the strategy they employed gives more space for the Mavs to operate to ensure a successful inbounds pass, and it also allows them to cross mid court with some forward momentum vs starting from standing still.

Doesn't really make sense to me either, but apparently they've been doing this for a couple of years now and don't plan to change.
Cooperstein said the same thing
Proposition Joe
Advancing to half-court with that much time doesn't really help you that much. Any inbounds towards the basket is going to be very well defended and you run a large risk of things getting bogged down. You aren't going to take a shot until under 5, so it's not really critical being that close to the basket.

I'm not as well versed on sets as many of you, but it looks like the problem with the last possession is that Luke was looking to take the shot with under 3 seconds and Utah knew it and doubled him forcing him to pass.

Not the worst thing in the world, but they funneled him to the side of the court that was crowded with 3 others Mavs -- allowing 3 defenders to guard 4 players because there wasn't enough time for a secondary pass.
Grapesoda2525
Getting home court back should help. I still feel good about winning this series.
mavsfan4ever
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Totally agree. Our offense did not flow nearly as well in game 4 compared to the last two games. Im not blaming Luka but it is at least partly because of him. The ball sticks and he just pounds the rock which kills all ball movement. His numbers were great as ways but he kills the ball movement which hurts us. And it's not near as fun to watch. His numbers don't tell the whole story bc if he pounds the ball for most the shot clock and then passes for a contested shot, that doesn't show up in his numbers. Again, not trying to **** on Luka but it's something he needs to get better on, especially after watching the great ball movement in the first 3 games.

And Jalen has to take the drive/shot at the end. This is his series. I totally understand why he feels the need to defer to Luka, but that was not the time. He has to go there, especially after how he's been playing.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Advancing to half-court with that much time doesn't really help you that much. Any inbounds towards the basket is going to be very well defended and you run a large risk of things getting bogged down. You aren't going to take a shot until under 5, so it's not really critical being that close to the basket.

I'm not as well versed on sets as many of you, but it looks like the problem with the last possession is that Luke was looking to take the shot with under 3 seconds and Utah knew it and doubled him forcing him to pass.

Not the worst thing in the world, but they funneled him to the side of the court that was crowded with 3 others Mavs -- allowing 3 defenders to guard 4 players because there wasn't enough time for a secondary pass.

Agree with a lot of this. But the big problem in my opinion was Jalen passing to Luka with around 4-5 seconds left. I get why jalen may feel the need to defer in that situation, but he should have gone for it with that much time. Chances of him scoring or finding an open guy are much greater than passing to a doubles Luka with 4-5 seconds. Luka should have immediately swing it, but I can't blame him for that bc he's obviously going to see if he can score immediately after getting the ball.
Proposition Joe
mavsfan4ever said:

Proposition Joe said:

Agree with a lot of this. But the big problem in my opinion was Jalen passing to Luka with around 4-5 seconds left. I get why jalen may feel the need to defer in that situation, but he should have gone for it with that much time. Chances of him scoring or finding an open guy are much greater than passing to a doubles Luka with 4-5 seconds. Luka should have immediately swing it, but I can't blame him for that bc he's obviously going to see if he can score immediately after getting the ball.

Ahhh, well there is where I missed it - was just watching highlight replays that started with Luka having the ball.

Yeah, Brunson passing to Luka with 5 seconds left basically set that play up for failure as <5 second and Luka with the ball would be swarming him.

As soon as Luka dribbled to their side of the court, either Brunson or Dinwiddie should have sprinted to the hoop if for no other reason to clear out space - as it played out you had 4 guys all on one side of the court and the 5th guy in the opposite corner basically out of the play with that little time left.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Agree. Folks complain about the bench shooting 21%. Well that can happen when things are stagnant, and instead of getting open looks, they are tossing up something late in the shot clock.
DannyDuberstein
AG
And yeah, outside of making a semi-prayer, that play was dead the instant it was passed to Luka with him in position to be easily doubled and no real time to work himself open or rotate the ball
Grapesoda2525
Role players usually play better at home. I think the boys will get it done today.
PatAg
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

DannyDuberstein said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Totally agree. Our offense did not flow nearly as well in game 4 compared to the last two games. Im not blaming Luka but it is at least partly because of him. The ball sticks and he just pounds the rock which kills all ball movement. His numbers were great as ways but he kills the ball movement which hurts us. And it's not near as fun to watch. His numbers don't tell the whole story bc if he pounds the ball for most the shot clock and then passes for a contested shot, that doesn't show up in his numbers. Again, not trying to **** on Luka but it's something he needs to get better on, especially after watching the great ball movement in the first 3 games.

And Jalen has to take the drive/shot at the end. This is his series. I totally understand why he feels the need to defer to Luka, but that was not the time. He has to go there, especially after how he's been playing.
There are metrics that cover if shots are contested or not, and he generates open shots.
We were just bricking them yesterday.
Kleber also got in quick foul trouble, and wasnt able to play his normal minutes in the 1st half. Who knows what happens if he stays in and gets in a shooting rhythm.
jeffdjohnson
I think the offense looking worse on Sunday was due to the fact that the team was playing over their heads in games 2/3 and also Brunson deferring too much. Plus give credit to the Jazz for defending the perimeter much better. The main adjustment I want to see is Brunson being more aggressive even when Luka is on the court. His mid-range game has proven to work in this series. The last play was egregious because Brunson could have gone 1 v 1 instead he passed Luka directly into a double team and killed the play. I feel good about Brunson going 1 v 1 there towards the basket/mid-range for the win.

The realistic side of my brain says the Mavs are favored tonight in Vegas and thus favored in the series. Should be feeling good overall. The doomer side (the A&M fan, DFW sports since 2011 fan) says of course we got ****ed in the last game by the ****ing refs (Last 2-Minute report says Mitchell committed an offensive foul which would have sealed the game) and now I'm just waiting for the next shoe to drop. Going to be a good one tonight.
M.C. Swag
AG
I feel this
GrapevineAg
AG
I can still hear Randy Galloway saying that the Mavs need to "thug it up" in these next couple of games.
The Shank Ag
GrapevineAg said:

I can still hear Randy Galloway saying that the Mavs need to "thug it up" in these next couple of games.
Miss that voice.

Might also have heard the phrases:

"Gutless pigs"
"Boy Wonder"
"Courtside Cuban"
"Shut up Ian"
zgolfz85
AG
I hope we come out tonight and just demoralize them with a beatdown....go on to win in 6, as we watch PHX struggle with this hungry pelicans team
The Shank Ag
What I want to see the rest of the way (Jason is a helluva coach and I only had three years experience as a high school coach between accounting stints so take these with a grain of salt):

-When Luka drives, 1 person cuts opposite side of the basket. They don't all have to be spotted up, and that one person doesn't always have to be a rolling Dwight. Yes, keep the line to the basket clear for Luka, but getting 1 or 2 more backside at the rim attempts will lead to easy baskets and probably more foul trouble for Gobert.

-Go back to the 3 man handoff up top, don't just do one screen to get one favorable matchup. If they are switching everything, get everyone on who you want them on, and then spread out.

-A Boban sighting, even if only for 3-5 minutes if they are feeding Gobert. He doesn't have to worry about guarding him more than 8 feet from the basket, he can match his size, and will help keep Maxi/Dwight/Bertans out of foul trouble. And on offense, have him spot up opposite short corner. He can hit that 12-15 footer wide open like Shawn Bradley used to do.

-Zone in late quarter/game situation. Throw them off just a little bit. Rotation has been great and a rotating 2-3 with Dwight/Maxi in the middle, Luka and dinwiddie on the sides, with Doe Doe and Brunson up top

South Platte
J.P. 03 said:

South Platte said:

I understand that concept, and I'm for it if your PG is going to Tyus Edney his way to the rim. Brunson took the inbounds pass and took forever to get past half court. Just an all-around bad last sequence.

On the other hand, I loved Mitchell's oop to Gobert. Our guys never saw it coming. Excellent play/scouting by Quin & Co.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.