***Official 2021-2022 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

160,770 Views | 2235 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by M.C. Swag
jeffdjohnson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
awrollins said:

M.C. remember how excited we were Saddiq Bey fell to us two years ago at 18? And then again when we were one pick away from Bane at 31? What a disaster that draft is turning out to be.

That draft was a huge missed opportunity. You can bring in talent via the draft, free agency, or trade. Mavs haven't hit on anything since the Luka pick which is why they are still running back the same lineup from two years ago when they were a 7th seed (Luka, KP, Powell, DFS, THJ).

Hitting on Luka is worth whatever happened the last 10 years in talent acquisition, but not being able to hit on literally anyone else is putting a ceiling on this team. They are a good team because of Luka but still a notch below contention. The Hawks around Trae are just so much better (Capella, Hunter, Collins) than what the Mavs have, which was very evident the first game. The Mavs are likely to have a draft pick in the 20s next year, no real cap space, and still can't trade picks until 2025. I'm not sure what the next move is.
MW03
AG
So Cuban said on the ticket this morning that he's going front $50 of the Direct TV cost for up to 10,000 fans so they can get access to Bally Southwest. Mavs ticket holders get first crack, but expects there to be 6000 or more open after the first round of signups. He also said they get streaming data, so if you aren't watching Mavs games then he won't over the bill.
mavsfan4ever
AG
What did he say about the vax/testing requirements and whether masks will be required? I looked at the Ticket thread but was confused on what people were saying the requirements are.
M.C. Swag
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

What did he say about the vax/testing requirements and whether masks will be required? I looked at the Ticket thread but was confused on what people were saying the requirements are.
So as of right now, they're still requiring Vax card or negative covid test. I think that will change at some point fairly soon, but if you're going to the game tomorrow, I think you still need to go through the health screening.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Thanks. Do you know if masks are still required or not?
M.C. Swag
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

They're required for entry but once you get to your seat they basically stop enforcing it.
M.C. Swag
AG
Some additional detail from Cuban re: AT&T deal

hph6203
AG
Just gonna say that I tried to watch the game on Saturday through DTV Stream and it told me it was blacked out for streaming. Granted I could go to the Bally Sports app and watch, but the DTV Stream app did not allow streaming.
True Anomaly
AG
M.C. Swag said:

mavsfan4ever said:

They're required for entry but once you get to your seat they basically stop enforcing it.
The way Cuban talked about this whole process for the immunocompromised folks is that they're going to have a dedicated section for them- which sounds like something you actually have to "opt in" to- and there mask wearing is strictly enforced.

But everywhere else, like MC Swag said, will basically be a *wink wink* type of deal- just like it was during the two home playoff games last season. Once that arena is full, they have no desire nor manpower to enforce mask wearing at all times
Whirligigs
I'm hoping the health screen process is a total cluster - especially since there will be more people coming to the season opener. Of course, I uploaded a negative test and that was pretty good but I can see many, many people not even being aware of the processes.

At some point they'll just say **** it.
mavsfan4ever
AG
I don't see how it won't be a total cluster. How is someone who buys off stubhub or gets tickets from a friend even supposed to know about the policies? Or even if you buy a single ticket from the Mavs, how are you supposed to know? I imagine there being many angry customers if they start turning them away at the gates.
Saint Pablo
I got tix from a buddy and just went and got a last minute test. Curious to see how this goes lmao hyped for the game!!!
True Anomaly
AG
Fun, weird home opener, but winning cures all- especially against the Rockets
Saint Pablo
I don't get why we brought Moses, Sterling, and Reggie in I'd we are barely going to use them. They seemed to be way more impactful tonight than the usual suspects like DFS, Kleber, Boban, etc.
mavsfan4ever
AG
I know Kidd is a complete moron but even he can't be dumb enough to keep playing bullock only 17 minutes per game. This is getting ridiculous. He was our biggest signing of the summer, and he's the main reason I thought we'd be better this year. He's the exactly type of player we needed. And he's playing minimal minutes. A reporter asked Kidd about it after the Toronto game and he gave a big sarcastic dick response.

Surely they will start playing him more in the upcoming weeks.
True Anomaly
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

I know Kidd is a complete moron but even he can't be dumb enough to keep playing bullock only 17 minutes per game. This is getting ridiculous. He was our biggest signing of the summer, and he's the main reason I thought we'd be better this year. He's the exactly type of player we needed. And he's playing minimal minutes. A reporter asked Kidd about it after the Toronto game and he gave a big sarcastic dick response.

Surely they will start playing him more in the upcoming weeks.
Same reporter was also feeling very validated last night
mavsfan4ever
AG
Haha what did he say?
MW03
AG
MW03
AG
True Anomaly
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Haha what did he say?
https://twitter.com/nickvanexit
M.C. Swag
AG
I'll never get over this

He was RIGHT there! His skills were obvious! TCU is practically in OUR BACKYARD and Mavs didn't send a single scout to his games. I'm sick.
awrollins
M.C. Swag said:

I'll never get over this

He was RIGHT there! His skills were obvious! TCU is practically in OUR BACKYARD and Mavs didn't send a single scout to his games. I'm sick.
To this day I still think he was the pick at 31 if Memphis didn't trade up, instead we got stuck with Terry, who we cut before even beginning his second season.
MW03
AG
Not a great quarter
Saint Pablo
Woof.
hph6203
AG
The team enjoys playing in stupid games so far this season.
awrollins
Watching Dwight Powell play basketball hurts the eyes.
awrollins
On the other hand watching Maximilian Kleber play basketball does not hurt the eyes! Post-COVID Maxi's defense has been extraordinary…
awrollins
Powell just got packed by 6'4' PG Derrick White.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Maxi and Brunson were phenomenal.

For a great player, Luka sure does make some terrible plays down the stretch (turnovers, missed free throws, taking terrible shots, etc). It's getting to be a little concerning.
True Anomaly
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Maxi and Brunson were phenomenal.

For a great player, Luka sure does make some terrible plays down the stretch (turnovers, missed free throws, taking terrible shots, etc). It's getting to be a little concerning.
Luka has such a frustrating play style. When it works, he makes the team look coordinated- including distributing the ball well to teammates

When it doesn't work- which it didn't at all in the 1st last night- it looks sloppy and half-brained. When Luka drives inside, he has a tendency to give up the easy bucket in order to get cute and make a difficult pass to a teammate- forcing a play that has less of a chance to score rather than taking the shot himself. It's what helped tank them early on in the game

To me, this along with his free throws are the two main areas of his game he needs to improve
COAg15
AG
I'll be at the game tonight. Any word if Jokic is playing?
HawthornAggie
AG
awrollins said:

Watching Dwight Powell play basketball hurts the eyes.

Demonstrating the basketball iq of a toddler tonight against Denver
fightinags2013
AG
Ugly, ugly game tonight at Denver.

Mavs desperately need to find a way to get off the KP contract even if it means packaging a pick, and a decent roll player to make it happen. Maybe there is a team dumb enough out there to take him thinking they could fix him.
fightinags2013
AG
Also- Josh Green continues to be such a huge disappointment. Really needed to get something out of him or Tyrell Terry and both have been wifs (Terry 100% wif).
mavsfan4ever
AG
Weird time to have this take after we lose by 30 without KP. Last night showed why KP is so important to us. I'm not sure why people find it so hard to realize KP is a difference maker even when his numbers aren't great. If we trade him, we won't get a ton back and our ceiling is significantly lower.

If you are saying that bc you are tired of dealing with his injuries, then I get it. It's frustrating. But if he just misses a couple games here and there then we can live with it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.