***Official 2021-2022 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

157,709 Views | 2235 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by M.C. Swag
zgolfz85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
awrollins said:

hph6203 said:

Bullock is too cheap compared to utility to get rid of. Brunson is a resign for future trade bait. Dinwiddie and THJ are salary matching fodder. I prefer THJ to Dinwiddie, but I despise missed layups more than missed 3's.

Dinwiddie is easier to move if he returns to form. I think we roll it back with the team we have plus an MLE on a big and see how it rolls.
I think we'll package Bertans and our first for a big, maybe Myles Turner? I saw he was at game 4 the other day

He's atop my wish list, would prefer him over Rudy or deandre
gigem1223
The injuries to GS and A+ drafting over the last few seasons played perfectly to continuing their run. Must be nice to have a front office that can hit on damn near every draft pick and then swipe up a guy like Wiggins in a trade. Hopefully Niko brings that kind of success to this organization.
PatAg
AG
hph6203 said:

Bullock is too cheap compared to utility to get rid of. Brunson is a resign for future trade bait. Dinwiddie and THJ are salary matching fodder. I prefer THJ to Dinwiddie, but I despise missed layups more than missed 3's.

Dinwiddie is easier to move if he returns to form. I think we roll it back with the team we have plus an MLE on a big and see how it rolls.
For sure, im not against that at all.
South Platte
GrapevineAg said:

Who's the next Tyson Chandler?

Ugh, I guess we can start this conversation now. We've always been a joke in free agency. Need a Tyson Chandler and a Jason terry or better. There are a few guys that vault us into title contention. I have no idea if we can actually get one. Denver could be the 1 or 2 seed next year, Memphis will be there, Phoenix will be good again, kawhi comes back. West will be loaded.
J.P. 03
AG
gigem1223 said:

Must be nice to have a front office that can hit on damn near every draft pick

I'd take a 50% hit rate from the Mavs front office at this point. Would have been fun if we could have rolled Desmond Bane out there in this series instead of Josh Green.
hph6203
AG
Reduction in expectation can result in an improvement of production. Dinwiddie and THJ being on the same team can be a net gain overall, because you can exploit their productivity on a night to night basis.

For this game if you play Brunson, THJ, and Dinwiddie and 1 of the 3 is failing you reduce their utilization.

Standing Pat, plus an MLE big can radically improve the team without radical changes.
PatAg
AG
This is definitely one of the reasons we hired Niko, time to earn his money
HawthornAggie
AG
Sad it's over, but what a season. Looking forward to the future!
NoahAg
Great season overall. Knocked off #1 seed Phoenix. Western conference finals. We'll be right back next season. Somehow upgrade Powel into a 30 min a night center and we can make the finals.
Let's go, Brandon!
500,000ags
AG
I remember years ago I liked Powell as a project player. My god did I not believe he would still be here like 10 years later after so little development.
rsf0626
biggest needs for the mavs this offseason

1) get a big who can rebound and maybe provide a little rim protection, Mavs got crushed on the boards against the warriors and it was their ultimate demise in the WCF. Dwight needs to go

2) Get some 3&D depth behind Bullock and DFS. We cant have them playing 40+ mins per night as the only 2 plus defenders on the team

3) add cheap talent through the draft who can contribute immediately. More Desmond Bane type players and less josh green type players.

4) the toughest option to pull off....find another all star level player to pair with Luka. Would require a sign and trade of some sort most likely
zgolfz85
AG

Seeing smoke about us possibly interested in this kid
South Platte
rsf0626 said:

biggest needs for the mavs this offseason

1) get a big who can rebound and maybe provide a little rim protection, Mavs got crushed on the boards against the warriors and it was their ultimate demise in the WCF. Dwight needs to go

2) Get some 3&D depth behind Bullock and DFS. We cant have them playing 40+ mins per night as the only 2 plus defenders on the team

3) add cheap talent through the draft who can contribute immediately. More Desmond Bane type players and less josh green type players.

4) the toughest option to pull off....find another all star level player to pair with Luka. Would require a sign and trade of some sort most likely
There are some guys on this thread that know how expiring contracts, trades, free agency work pretty well. Seems like several of them are expiring after 22-23 to free up some flexibility for us.

All I know is that I don't want to spend a ton of money on a big guy. Embiid or Gobert or the like, no thanks. Surely we can sign a big man to do what Looney and Horford do.

I'd prefer to spend cash on a Mitchell, Lillard, McCollum, or Beal.

We also need to keep Sean Sweeney.
M.C. Swag
AG
Mavs are pretty hamstrung this off season.

To summarize:
- We can't trade our '22 1st rd pick until draft night.

- Due to the '23 pick we still owe New York, the next picks we have available to trade are '25 and '27.

- We have about a $6m Tax Payer Mid Level Exception to offer prospective FAs (maybe Mo Bamba).

- We have to pay Brunson. Regardless of what the Mavs decide to offer JB, the Mavs are already over the cap. So this money is use it on Brunson or lose it.

- Trading for a player is only possible if they're already under contract. Which means no Lavine or Ayton. The reason is because if the Mavs receive a Free Agent via sign and trade, the hard cap will be triggered and we couldn't re-sign Brunson (or do anything).

I think that about sums up their options. Overall I think they make relatively minor changes.
NoahAg
Thanks for the summary.
I know it sounds boring to do nothing, but this team did just make it to the Western Conference Finals.
I think the best course is to pay Brunson and run it back with the same team plus a healthy Hardaway.

Let's see what Spencer and Bertans can contribute during a full season. Let Kleber and Powell (et al) roll off the books. Gear up for 2023 FA.
Let's go, Brandon!
Señor Chang
AG
My #1 realistic want for this offseason is for the Mavs to sign Mitchell Robinson. He's a free agent, should be affordable, and would be a defensive presence and good rebounder down low.

Mavs will have to move some players around though since they are at the cap limit even before they sign Brunson to a new deal. I'm guessing Brunson will put them about $20 mil over the cap for next season.
M.C. Swag
AG
Señor Chang said:

My #1 realistic want for this offseason is for the Mavs to sign Mitchell Robinson. He's a free agent, should be affordable, and would be a defensive presence and good rebounder down low.

Mavs will have to move some players around though since they are at the cap limit even before they sign Brunson to a new deal. I'm guessing Brunson will put them about $20 mil over the cap for next season.
The Mavs are already $60m over the cap even if they sign Brunson to $1 lol. Unless Mitchell Robinson is willing to take the TMLE (~$6m), the Mavs have no avenue to get him (due to the hard cap trigger if you accept a FA in a sign and trade).
MW03
AG
Doesn't the MLE trigger the hard cap as well?
Señor Chang
AG
Ouch, just looked at their numbers for next year and didn't realize how far over they are. They really need to get Powell and Bertans off the books.
M.C. Swag
AG
MW03 said:

Doesn't the MLE trigger the hard cap as well?
Correct but my understanding is the Mavs can sign JB using his Bird Rights and still have the Taxpayer MLE available.
MW03
AG
Man, that's where the NBA cap always makes my head hurt. If they do nothing else but sign JB to a $20MM/year deal, then they'll be at like $180MM for 2022-23. I thought if they used the MLE, then they would be hard capped and couldn't be over whatever the tax apron is for that upcoming season (like $150MMish?).

I also don't know what their bonuses are, but I think those all get counted towards the cap in a hard cap situation, too (even if said bonus is ridiculous and says Boban will get $50MM if he averaged 50 points or game or something).

I don't think I understand it well at all.
M.C. Swag
AG
MW03 said:

Man, that's where the NBA cap always makes my head hurt. If they do nothing else but sign JB to a $20MM/year deal, then they'll be at like $180MM for 2022-23. I thought if they used the MLE, then they would be hard capped and couldn't be over whatever the tax apron is for that upcoming season (like $150MMish?).

I also don't know what their bonuses are, but I think those all get counted towards the cap in a hard cap situation, too (even if said bonus is ridiculous and says Boban will get $50MM if he averaged 50 points or game or something).

I don't think I understand it well at all.
lol no worries, the only time a hard cap is triggered is if a team uses the FULL MLE, the BAE, or receives a FA in a sign and trade. The Mavs using the TPE would not qualify as a hard cap trigger unless they signed that player for MORE than the TPE amount. So signing a $6m/yr player would be totally fine regardless of what Brunson gets.
MW03
AG
I did not know that the mini mid level exception didn't trigger the hard cap. Good to know. The JRich $10.8MM TPE expires around the draft, right? So conceivably, Dallas could take on a player with that TPE without sending anything back, too. I know you can't combine TPE trades with more to take on a higher contract, but maybe there's room before the draft to make 2 deals for picks and players using the TPE somehow.
MavsAg
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Mavs are pretty hamstrung this off season.

To summarize:
- We can't trade our '22 1st rd pick until draft night.

- Due to the '23 pick we still owe New York, the next picks we have available to trade are '25 and '27.

- We have about a $6m Tax Payer Mid Level Exception to offer prospective FAs (maybe Mo Bamba).

- We have to pay Brunson. Regardless of what the Mavs decide to offer JB, the Mavs are already over the cap. So this money is use it on Brunson or lose it.

- Trading for a player is only possible if they're already under contract. Which means no Lavine or Ayton. The reason is because if the Mavs receive a Free Agent via sign and trade, the hard cap will be triggered and we couldn't re-sign Brunson (or do anything).

I think that about sums up their options. Overall I think they make relatively minor changes.
I would love this. He's got a 7'10" wingspan and shot 38% from three this year. Could be a late bloomer.
M.C. Swag
AG
MW03 said:

I did not know that the mini mid level exception didn't trigger the hard cap. Good to know. The JRich $10.8MM TPE expires around the draft, right? So conceivably, Dallas could take on a player with that TPE without sending anything back, too. I know you can't combine TPE trades with more to take on a higher contract, but maybe there's room before the draft to make 2 deals for picks and players using the TPE somehow.
Yea technically we have the JRich TPE until June 27th. So it will be useless for Free Agency purposes, but the Mavs could still find a way to incorporate that on draft night. The only issue is that for every $ the Mavs take on within that TPE, the tax bill will increase 5x. So taking on a $5m player for say and extra 2nd rd pick, would theoretically cost Cuban $25m.

As fans should we care? Absolutely not, but Mark has never spent in the tax before. So it's unlikely he'll blindly wallow into the depths of paying more than he absolutely has to.
hph6203
AG
He has paid tax, just not this more penalizing tax that was instituted in the last CBA. Cuban actually has the 3rd highest cumulative tax bill.

Unless there's some kicker on TPE acquired salary it's not 5x, it's a graduated system, like income tax. Right now the Mavericks are going to pay $1.5 per dollar spend over the tax. If they utilize the entirety of the TPE and sign a player under the TMLE they'll be somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 million over the cap and would pay ~45 million in tax.

I don't think you'll see the Mavs use the TPE, because I don't think the quality of player you can get with one is going to justify the incremental cost, but maybe a team is desperate for cap space. The free agents this off-season on the high end are pretty soft on value. Lots of guys that are going to get paid more than their future production.
M.C. Swag
AG
hph6203 said:

He has paid tax, just not this more penalizing tax that was instituted in the last CBA. Cuban actually has the 3rd highest cumulative tax bill.

Unless there's some kicker on TPE acquired salary it's not 5x, it's a graduated system, like income tax. Right now the Mavericks are going to pay $1.5 per dollar spend over the tax. If they utilize the entirety of the TPE and sign a player under the TMLE they'll be somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 million over the cap and would pay ~45 million in tax.

I don't think you'll see the Mavs use the TPE, because I don't think the quality of player you can get with one is going to justify the incremental cost, but maybe a team is desperate for cap space. The free agents this off-season on the high end are pretty soft on value. Lots of guys that are going to get paid more than their future production.
Since the new CBA, Cuban hasn't paid in the tax is what i meant.

And the TPE will likely go unused but it's only useful function is on draft night. Theoretically the mavs could absorb a $10m player in exchange for a draft pick (2nd rounder). That's something I'd explore.

Also you're correct about the income tax portion but you're not considering Brunson's extension (which they will do). Assuming the Mavs sign JB for $20m/yr (which is on the lower end), they will be $24.5m over the luxury tax threshold and they will be in the highest tax bracket. That puts their tax bill at approximately $60.5m.

If they add a $5m player using the TPE, they will be $29.5m over the Luxury Tax threshold and their bill will balloon to $83m. A difference of $23m for a $5m roster addition is something I don't see Cuban doing.
hph6203
AG
Forgot to account for Brunson.
Carlo4
AG
This website helped me visually with the team salary. Didn't realize we were 25th in salary this year and jump to 7th next year.

Also didn't realize Powell, Bertans, Boban, Burke, Sterling Brown, and Josh Green will be $40 million next year.

https://hoopshype.com/salaries/
https://hoopshype.com/salaries/dallas_mavericks/
NoahAg
Carlo4 said:

This website helped me visually with the team salary. Didn't realize we were 25th in salary this year and jump to 7th next year.

Also didn't realize Powell, Bertans, Boban, Burke, Sterling Brown, and Josh Green will be $40 million next year.

https://hoopshype.com/salaries/
https://hoopshype.com/salaries/dallas_mavericks/

Yeah that's one reason I think we just resign Brunson but otherwise hold tight this offseason. Let some guys roll off the books. I hope Kidd either figures out a way to make Bertans earn his money or they trade him. He's here 3 more years if he wants to be.
Let's go, Brandon!
M.C. Swag
AG
With all the draft and FA talk, I figured now is as good a time as any to close this season and begin the next chapter!

The 2022-2023 thread is officially a GO!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.