***Official 2021-2022 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

175,339 Views | 2235 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by M.C. Swag
hph6203
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Who's the tall guy? He looks kind of familiar…
Infection_Ag11
AG
Kleber picked one hell of a time to have the game of his life
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Spaceship
AG
Maxi 8-10 from 3…crazy
Infection_Ag11
AG
40 burger for Brunson
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Never a doubt.
LeagueCityAg
AG
Brunson deserves this moment. So happy for the dude!
HawthornAggie
AG
LUKA IS COMING FOR THEIR SOUL
jograki
AG
Had to follow on gamecast bc of the blackout. Will def have to watch Thursday at a sports bar! What a game.
94chem
3 TO for the game???? That has to be a record.
PatAg
AG
I could see Luka not playing until Game 4 on Saturday, since its a short turnaround from 3 to 4
Unless he is just something like 85% healthy by Thursday I guess.
awrollins
After attending the game tonight, I can confirm that Brunson is, in fact, THAT DUDE
mavsfan4ever
AG
Just give Jalen the max and be done with it. Man, he's fun to watch. That was the most fun I've had at a game since 2011.

I still think we are 50/50 to win the series without Luka. And I don't think he's playing this series. But hopefully I'm wrong. He was walking on it better than I thought he would be tonight.
True Anomaly
AG
Maxi played himself back into the NBA next season. He was on his way out of the league until last night
The Shank Ag
Win game 3, and you don't think about bringing luka back until game 5. Win game 3 and game 4, you don't think about it until 6, and so on.

Lose game 3, you have to make a call. Can they do it again and win without him in game 4? Yes but won't be favored to. By then he'll have had 2 weeks rest and if he can, I think you have to throw him out there. Coming home down 3-1 is not a good outlook.

Vinny
The Shank Ag said:

Win game 3, and you don't think about bringing luka back until game 5. Win game 3 and game 4, you don't think about it until 6, and so on.

Lose game 3, you have to make a call. Can they do it again and win without him in game 4? Yes but won't be favored to. By then he'll have had 2 weeks rest and if he can, I think you have to throw him out there. Coming home down 3-1 is not a good outlook.

It's not that simple. You're dealing with a potential achilles rupture if he doesn't get the needed time to fully heal.
awrollins
Vinny said:

The Shank Ag said:

It's not that simple. You're dealing with a potential achilles rupture if he doesn't get the needed time to fully heal.
I could be wrong, but I think all this stuff about "potential achilles rupture" is overblown. A calf strain, especially where it appears where Luka strained his (higher on his calf), hasn't really ever been shown to lead to achilles injuries, other than the obvious KD injury. Any input from the doctors on here?
PatAg
AG
KD was grabbing down at the bottom of his calf as well, where Luka was grabbing at the meaty top part of his calf near his knee
Therefore, achilles is fine.
#NotADoctor
The Shank Ag
Vinny said:

The Shank Ag said:

I maybe should have bolded and explained the "If he can" part. You don't throw him out there unless he's able to do in practice what he would do in a game. If it's obvious he's not healed enough, no you don't risk the franchise.

If it's as close as "do we wait one more game", you have to throw him in down 2-1. If it's "we can play him now but in a perfect world we'd wait another couple weeks", then you keep him sat, pray Brunson/Dinwiddie/Maxi go ape, and if not get ready for working on contracts for 2022-2023.
jeffdjohnson
True Anomaly
AG
Since none of us are sports medicine people and actually have little insider info as to how serious this calf strain is…..I really really really want him back for Game 3. Too much self-assuredness that once he does return they'll just rattle off 3 straight wins and it's over. Utah is still an NBA team, regardless of how mediocre they've played the first two games
Infection_Ag11
AG
Vinny said:

The Shank Ag said:

This is more of a theoretical risk as opposed to one that tends to play out in the real world.

And again, we're not dealing with a high grade calf strain here. He's going to be back within 2-2.5 weeks of the injury.
hph6203
AG
Not sure I want him to drive to the arena, he could get in an accident.
Proposition Joe
One might say it was a theoretical risk that he might injure himself in the 2nd half of what at that point was a completely meaningless game.

Yet here we are...
M.C. Swag
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

Vinny said:

The Shank Ag said:

This is more of a theoretical risk as opposed to one that tends to play out in the real world.

And again, we're not dealing with a high grade calf strain here. He's going to be back within 2-2.5 weeks of the injury.
How do we know that though? Local reporters say luka still isn't even jumping yet. Raja Bell (former Suns player) has a podcast and said he had a milkd calf strain that took him a month to heal from. Sounds like the timeline for this injury starts at 2 weeks and can escalate pretty easily to 4 or 5.
dave94
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

Vinny said:

The Shank Ag said:

How do we know that though? Local reporters say luka still isn't even jumping yet. Raja Bell (former Suns player) has a podcast and said he had a milkd calf strain that took him a month to heal from. Sounds like the timeline for this injury starts at 2 weeks and can escalate pretty easily to 4 or 5.

He was doing light jump shooting during the walkthrough yesterday morning.
Infection_Ag11
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

Vinny said:

The Shank Ag said:

Because if he had a high grade calf strain we'd already be looking ahead to next season. A grade 2 strain is a minimum 4 week full recovery for an average person, and usually at least 6-8 weeks for high level athletes to be competing again. Grade 3 and he'd have already been ruled out for the year and any summer international competition.

The fact that he's likely going to play in the postseason, let alone this series, means it's a relatively mild strain.
M.C. Swag
AG
dave94 said:

M.C. Swag said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

Vinny said:

The Shank Ag said:

He was doing light jump shooting during the walkthrough yesterday morning.

If you watch the vids, his feet never leave the ground.

M.C. Swag
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

M.C. Swag said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

Vinny said:

The Shank Ag said:

Because if he had a high grade calf strain we'd already be looking ahead to next season. A grade 2 strain is a minimum 4 week full recovery for an average person, and usually at least 6-8 weeks for high level athletes to be competing again. Grade 3 and he'd have already been ruled out for the year and any summer international competition.

The fact that he's likely going to play in the postseason, let alone this series, means it's a relatively mild strain.
Right but it still sounds like there's a wide range even within the Grade 1 severity. Like, I have no doubt Luka will play at some point this series, but I have doubts that he'll be 'healed'. I just hope he's not at increased risk of further injury if he does play.
dave94
AG
This was actually on Monday:

M.C. Swag
AG
That's exactly what I said and that tweet I shared was yesterday before the game (more recent).
dave94
AG
The video at the AAC he was flat footed, I'm just saying he was doing some low impact hopping.
M.C. Swag
AG
lol that is certainly a glass half full way of looking at it. I'd still like to see him actually leave the ground in a practice session before throwing him into a competitive environment.
PatAg
AG
He warms up like that before games often, I believe.
He did the game I went to , at least
PatAg
AG

Doing a little more in this video, but hes not shooting some Micheal Finley jumper
hph6203
AG
Not sure I'm arguing with doctors that make multiple millions every year diagnosing and treating injuries on their assessment of whether or not a guy making 36 million a year is good to go. Above my pay grade doesn't quite encapsulate it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.