***Official 2021-2022 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

175,349 Views | 2235 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by M.C. Swag
LeagueCityAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gonna be sad if Brunson leaves after this. I have nothing but respect for the dude.
TefIon Don
AG
Suck it Jazz. And your Taco Bell hot sauce packet-lookin crowd.
Scotty Flamingo
We got Luka and Brunson in the same draft.
Carlo4
AG
Wade watching the Mavs win always feels good
awrollins
WHAT A WIN!!!!
mavsfan4ever
AG
No way Brunson leaves unless he just wants to. We will offer him top dollar bc we can't do anything with the money if we don't sign him. It's either sign him or do nothing bc we can't use that money on someone else if we don't sign him.
Infection_Ag11
AG
agsandcowboys said:

Gonna be sad if Brunson leaves after this. I have nothing but respect for the dude.

Why would he leave? Dallas has a massive amount of money they can give him that they can't spend on anyone else.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Legal Custodian
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

agsandcowboys said:

Why would he leave? Dallas has a massive amount of money they can give him that they can't spend on anyone else.

Mavs can give him a 5yr deal worth:
$30.2
$32.6
$35.0
$37.5
$39.9

He could make a max of a 4yr deal in free agency:
$30.2
$31.7
$33.2
$34.8

So it depends if he wants to play second fiddle to Luka over the next 4 years and make $5.4 million more or if he wants to go somewhere and be the guy. (Albeit without a $39.9 5th year if he doesn't get another max contract)
Infection_Ag11
AG
Legal Custodian said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

agsandcowboys said:

Mavs can give him a 5yr deal worth:
$30.2
$32.6
$35.0
$37.5
$39.9

He could make a max of a 4yr deal in free agency:
$30.2
$31.7
$33.2
$34.8

So it depends if he wants to play second fiddle to Luka over the next 4 years and make $5.4 million more or if he wants to go somewhere and be the guy. (Albeit without a $39.9 5th year if he doesn't get another max contract)

And that's assuming anyone else would give Brunson that kind of money, which is unlikely.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Blindside05
AG
Or no state tax!
PatAg
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Jazz take out Brunson
He took a cheap shot at him after a made basket, another one of the ball, and then the last one during the shot he hurt him on. All within a couple minute span, refs didnt call or see any of it.
Alll Royce O'Neale
Texafret
Fyi for all those looking for ways to watch. Checkout sportsurge. Also fun fact Mark Cuban made a bulk of his start up money on streaming sports, then sold it to Yahoo, but they didn't know how to use it correctly. The more you know
True Anomaly
AG
PatAg said:

Proposition Joe said:

Jazz take out Brunson
He took a cheap shot at him after a made basket, another one of the ball, and then the last one during the shot he hurt him on. All within a couple minute span, refs didnt call or see any of it.
Alll Royce O'Neale
The team was already pretty dialed in after that cheap shot….but they truly got pissed off after that. Even that crazy run by Utah to bring it within 1 wasn't enough to put them away. They wanted to make a statement, and they let their play say everything. That Jazz team is ****ing done
Carlo4
AG
Bertans/Kleber/Green stat line is why we won game 3. What an odd thing to say.

44 points
8 rebounds
8 assists
11/17 from 3

That was our bench tonight.
94chem
Surprised that Snyder didn't use his TOs to advance the ball late in the game last night.
Grapesoda2525
It was a move that had people highly skeptical in the offseason, but Jason Kidd is definitely the right coach for this team. With the exception of the championship year, we just didn't see these kind of wins under Carlisle.

At the same time, pretty much nobody was disappointed when Donnie Nelson was replaced. That guy has the personality and recruiting ability of a stump.
True Anomaly
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

It was a move that had people highly skeptical in the offseason, but Jason Kidd is definitely the right coach for this team. With the exception of the championship year, we just didn't see these kind of wins under Carlisle.

At the same time, pretty much nobody was disappointed when Donnie Nelson was replaced. That guy has the personality and recruiting ability of a stump.

I'm with ya on Donnie…but the guy did bring us two generational players. The guy did have an eye for talent. But I'm glad he's gone too
DannyDuberstein
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

Gobert is probably the best example in sports right now of a reputation dictating officiating. Any other player who plays like he does fouls out every night. His reputation as the best defensive player in the league let's him get away with a ridiculous amount of contact.

It's the 2010's Seattle Seahawk defense effect. Their DB's would commit illegal contact and PI on most plays, but reputation of "best defense" and not wanting to throw a flag every play basically allowed them to play d by manhandling
hph6203
AG
Luka and Brunson?
Grapesoda2525
hph6203 said:

Luka and Brunson?
Luka and dirk. Although, I wonder how much of dirk was Donnie's dad and not Donnie. In fairness, Donnie wanted to draft Giannis, but was over ruled by Cuban to keep cap space for a Dwight Howard pursuit.
Donnie also wanted to draft a Russian guy nicknamed "pod" with the 5th overall pick and he would've been laughed out of the league. He had to be talked out of that pick by his dad.

I just hated Donnie's style of relying on trades while ignoring the draft for the last 20 years when the few times we were actually forced to draft, it went pretty well. We got guys like luka, Brunson, and of course dirk from the draft.
Goldie Wilson
Grapesoda2525 said:

hph6203 said:

Luka and Brunson?
Luka and dirk. Although, I wonder how much of dirk was Donnie's dad and not Donnie. In fairness, Donnie wanted to draft Giannis, but was over ruled by Cuban to keep cap space for a Dwight Howard pursuit.
Donnie also wanted to draft a Russian guy nicknamed "pod" with the 5th overall pick and he would've been laughed out of the league. He had to be talked out of that pick by his dad.

I just hated Donnie's style of relying on trades while ignoring the draft for the last 20 years when the few times we were actually forced to draft, it went pretty well. We got guys like luka, Brunson, and of course dirk from the draft.

This P Pod slander will not stand
hph6203
AG
Was a joke about how well Brunson has been playing. It's pretty established that Donnie was the reason they drafted Dirk. Whether or not that's true, or an eff you to his dad I'm not sure we'll know, but Donnie had a reputation as a European basketball expert in his younger years, which gave him an edge over the rest of the league that thought Europe was soft and far less talented than the NBA.

Think all that changed in 2004 when the USA only won the Bronze medal. The very next draft was the first time a Euro was drafted #1 overall. The rest of the league caught up and that perceived edge disappeared for Donnie, mostly unexploited.
M.C. Swag
AG
What a win. That's gotta be a huge blow to the Jazz morale. Losing the first game on their home court against THIS Mavs roster? And not just losing, they looked like they got out hustled by a team that just cared more. I don't see any fight from Utah (other than Royce O'Neal's bum ass. I'll get to him later). If Mitchell/Conley aren't ushering our players straight to the cup for an easy lay in, Rudy is getting dragged outside the paint for a little blender action.

I was never on the Kidd wagon (and still hold deep animosity about his hiring), but I have to give him and his staff credit. They're putting on a coaching clinic. Using Green as the ball handler to force Rudy into a decision about how to play a high screen is masterful offense adjustment that blew open the game for us in the 2nd quarter.

And the defense? My god the defense is taking away everything the Jazz want to do. Kidd is strategically conceding rebounds to ensure no one on the jazz has clear space on the 3 pt line. With Rudy parked in the paint on offense (or coming up to set a screen), Kidd is simply using his defender to trap or aggressively help on rotations. This is completely ****ing with the jazz who seem incapable of making an entry pass to Gobert that isnt a wide open lob. Seriously, what happened to Conley? Feels like I'm watching a completely different player than the PnR creator we saw in Memphis.

This jazz team just doesn't fit. Gobert, a limited big outside the paint. being the 'defensive anchor' for a team with 0 point of attack defense, is a fatal flaw. Even if they somehow manage to win this series, I can't imagine what Chris Paul is going to do to this team. It might get a TV-MA rating.

As for Royce O'neal. **** THAT GUY. This bum was too scared to take a real basketball shot all game but found the courage to take a cheap shot at a guy half his size. "If you can't beat em, BEAT em,", right? After watching his antics the whole game, I hope the league office suspends his ass for the next game (which honestly might help the Jazz because he's such a bum).

Proposition Joe
You saw similar things with Rangers and Central America talent. Once the rules were altered and other teams caught on, that advantage disappeared.
Proposition Joe
And I don't feel like Utah got out-hustled at all.

If Brunson puts up 30+ points and Mavs hit 18 3-pointers, they aren't going to lose now matter how much the other team wants it.
M.C. Swag
AG
Proposition Joe said:

And I don't feel like Utah got out-hustled at all.

If Brunson puts up 30+ points and Mavs hit 18 3-pointers, they aren't going to lose now matter how much the other team wants it.
Josh Green showed more heart and hustle than any 5 Jazz players combined. The Jazz were unable to outrebound us. Do you know how insane that is? For context, the Jazz out-rebounded the Mavs 103 to 65 in the first two games. The Jazz had 24 offensive rebounds to the Mavs' 9.

The rebounding numbers were even (32 to 32) in Game 3 & the Mavs had 6 offensive rebounds vs the Jazz's 1. That's hustle.
Proposition Joe
That's more a product of two things:

1) Gobert and Bogdanovic's foul-trouble/minutes. Game 1 and Game 2 they played 75+ minutes combined. Game 3 they played 61 minutes.

2) Mavs shot lights out. Mavs actually had more offensive rebounds in Game 1 than they did Game 3. Not a ton of rebounds to get offensively when you ain't missing.

Now don't get me wrong I'm not lauding Utah's play -- they very obviously tried to put Brunson on the floor starting in around the 2nd quarter as an effort to get him rattled and/or out of the game. But at no time during the game did I really think the Mavs were simply out-hustling the Jazz.
M.C. Swag
AG
Maxi and Powell were in foul trouble too (our 'bigs). We played Bertans at center for a large stretch.

haha and I don't know how you can watch the Jazz perimeter defense and think they weren't getting completely out hustled in comparison to what the Mavs were doing on defense. The Mavs were scrambling for loose balls and creating turnovers, jumping passing lanes, swarming the 3pt line.

Did you know the Jazz averaged 42 three point shots per game in the reg season? In this series, they're averaging 26. TWENTY SIX. The Mavs defensive rotations are bananas and they're running the jazz off the line and not conceding anything. The Mavs defensive effort is dictating the terms of this game right now.
The Shank Ag
Quick vote

Star the answer:

Play Luka game 4
The Shank Ag
Sit Luka game 4
Carlo4
AG
I only want Luka to play when he's close to 100%.

However….

With Booker out a couple of weeks, the Mavs have a real window here that just opened up for them if they can win the next two.
The Shank Ag
M.C. Swag said:

Maxi and Powell were in foul trouble too (our 'bigs). We played Bertans at center for a large stretch.

haha and I don't know how you can watch the Jazz perimeter defense and think they weren't getting completely out hustled in comparison to what the Mavs were doing on defense. The Mavs were scrambling for loose balls and creating turnovers, jumping passing lanes, swarming the 3pt line.

Did you know the Jazz averaged 42 three point shots per game in the reg season? In this series, they're averaging 26. TWENTY SIX. The Mavs defensive rotations are bananas and they're running the jazz off the line and not conceding anything. The Mavs defensive effort is dictating the terms of this game right now.
They are not conceding three's, but during the run the Jazz made in that late 3rd/early 4th, they conceded a ton of baskets at the rim. And are getting in foul trouble off the dribble.

It's definitely a pick your poison kind of thing, but when they go small as they have all series for the most part, that center paint area is ripe for the picking. Luckily the Jazz have been ignoring it at times trying find open 3s.
Ervin Burrell
AG
Zachary Klement said:

Mitchell is so dramatic every time he hits the ground.
Yup, between being a helluva player and also a drama queen anytime somebody breathes on him/he falls, he's reminding me wayyyy too much of DWade.
M.C. Swag
AG
The Shank Ag said:

M.C. Swag said:

They are not conceding three's, but during the run the Jazz made in that late 3rd/early 4th, they conceded a ton of baskets at the rim. And are getting in foul trouble off the dribble.

It's definitely a pick your poison kind of thing, but when they go small as they have all series for the most part, that center paint area is ripe for the picking. Luckily the Jazz have been ignoring it at times trying find open 3s.
They did struggle when the Jazz went small initially but once they gathered themselves and the Jazz tried to do it again in crunch time, the Mavs were ready for it (also helped that Bertans wasn't on the court at that time either lol). My point is that the Jazz want to shoot a high volume of 3s, and the Mavs defense is simply saying "no".
jeffdjohnson
M.C. Swag said:

The Mavs are winning the schematic battle. The Jazz shot 56% from the floor and still lost because they only shot 28 total 3's to the Mavs 42 total 3's. But it goes further than just shooting 3 pointers. The Jazz have bad perimeter defenders and employ a drop coverage with 1 big. The 42 total 3's that the Mavs shot are (mostly) wide open because the Mavs get into the lane at will and force bad rotations from the Jazz. The Jazz have more talent (when Luka is out) in my opinion than the Mavs. When the Jazz went small they had a lot more success, but when/if Luka comes back healthy then that goes out the window. A Mavs small-ball lineup with the Luka/Powell pick and roll would be checkmate.

I don't think this series is a wrap because I do think the Jazz have a bunch of talented offensive players and that makes them dangerous in any given game. But schematically think the Mavs have the advantage. That plus home court and a healthy Luka return makes them solid favorites now. It also seems that the Jazz have a number of playoff demons and may be willing to fold with one more win.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.