***Official 2021-2022 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

160,764 Views | 2235 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by M.C. Swag
zgolfz85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dave94 said:

zgolfz85 said:

HawthornAggie said:

What a few of you have already pointed out. Trade one awful contract for two awful contracts and still surround Luka with nothing.

https://deadspin.com/the-mavericks-are-a-mess-1848526060

A bit too dramatic IMO. We didn't have a better option and it was rolling the dice to keep him and hope he could magically stay healthy for extended periods all of a sudden. If KP would've had another major injury, we'd have been even more screwed. It's not like anyone is out there saying Washington won this deal, which tells you all you need to know. The Luka points in the article I mostly agree with, but also think that not much has changed there. We were going to have to be creative either way. I'd like to know what the author honestly suggests as a better plan. It's sucks, but the KP deal was a lose/lose no matter how you slice it up.

Everyone is saying Washington won the trade, lol.

That said, I see why the Mavs did it.

I've listened to many a pod and read many an article on the trade and am yet to see anyone claim Washington won the trade. That holds true for all the mavs buddy convos I've had too. This is tough for them too. They didn't improve on contract or contender basis on this
JW
AG
While likely no big change, there is potential for upside on the trade. KP had nothing but downside to him.
rhutton125
AG
ESPN gave Dallas a D and Washington an A-. But I get it - anything that lets the Mavs move on easier or faster.
Ol Jock 99
AG
The only way Washington "won" anything is if KP returns to full health and stays that way for the remainder of his contract. I'd say the probability of that is low.
Grapesoda2525
Don't forget that Bertans guy was a pretty good player for the Spurs. I think it's a good possibility the wizards are a dysfunctional organization and just not using him properly.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I haven't seen a winner-loser comparison either. It's just being chalked up as bad contracts from underperforming guys being exchanged. If any of the 3 can turn it around, then you're talking about who ultimately won the deal
mavsfan4ever
AG
One thing we haven't mentioned is that it's been reported that all of dinwiddie's teammates wanted him gone from Washington. Not sure why.

I honestly think Cuban has been infatuated with him for a while bc he's a crypto bro.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

The only way Washington "won" anything is if KP returns to full health and stays that way for the remainder of his contract. I'd say the probability of that is low.

Yea, they need him to be relatively healthy. The only way the Mavs won this trade is if they are able to package dinwiddie or Bertans in a trade this summer to get someone good. The only benefit is that it's easier to make trade packages now bc before the trade we had very high price contracts and very low contracts. So it was hard to develop a package that matched up money wise with a good player you'd be getting in return.
Guitarsoup
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Don't forget that Bertans guy was a pretty good player for the Spurs. I think it's a good possibility the wizards are a dysfunctional organization and just not using him properly.
He was better for Washington than the Spurs. He's a black hole on defense, but had a beautiful, quick shot. He is solely a catch and shoot 3 guy and brings nothing else to the table.

Put him in the corner and he will knock down some shots. But that is literally all he will do in the game. No passing, no dribbling, no defense, no rebounding.
zgolfz85
AG
rhutton125 said:

ESPN gave Dallas a D and Washington an A-. But I get it - anything that lets the Mavs move on easier or faster.

That's honestly the only outlet I've seen or heard saying that. Everyone else, especially the few talking heads I actually respect all say it's essentially a wash...and a necessary one
Grapesoda2525
Tim legler loved the trade for the mavs.
DannyDuberstein
AG
rhutton125 said:

This would be the grade if it's based on a KP that can play more than 50-60% of Washington's games, be available for all playoff series (Wash probably won't have to worry about having any), and actually defend his man. I don't think that guy exists
awrollins
The Mavs did the trade because they didn't want to be locked into the same core for the next three/four years. I was initially super confused why the Mavs would do it, but looking at it now the FO wasn't trying to repeat history in doing nothing and rolling out the same first round exit lineup.

The trade will probably hurt us this year, although that remains to be seen, but it will absolutely help us next year or the one after when we are trying to make a move that will turn us into contenders and won't have to deal with KP's horrific contract.

The FO is betting Kidd can turn Dinwiddie's and Bertan's value around, eventually allowing us to flip them for value. You might not want to believe it, but KP was absolutely untradeable before the season and Kidd built his value back up to the point where we could actually get him off the team without having to give up multiple picks. Having a max player who can't stay on the floor, especially when you need them, is a recipe for disaster.

Finally, it's impossible to know whether or not the Mavs won the trade right now, and I get why people are saying we lost on paper. However this trade was less about who won or lost and more about giving us flexibility to change our core of players around Luka in the future.

Sorry for the long rant lol
PatAg
AG
KP was never the version of himself we traded for, and only got further from it the longer he was here. Thats not even including him just not being able to play.
zgolfz85
AG
forgot what close losses feel like
jeffdjohnson
Guitarsoup said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

He was better for Washington than the Spurs. He's a black hole on defense, but had a beautiful, quick shot. He is solely a catch and shoot 3 guy and brings nothing else to the table.

Put him in the corner and he will knock down some shots. But that is literally all he will do in the game. No passing, no dribbling, no defense, no rebounding.

The Bertans contract is the roughest one for the Mavs to swallow. I still don't understand how he ever received such a large contract. He might be good for 15 minutes a game coming off the bench and standing in the corner. But there are going to be a lot of situations where the dude is just unplayable and he will be sitting next to Boban.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Dragic officially bought out by SAS.
COAg15
AG
Don't think we are in the running with the Dinwiddie addition, but who knows.

Get to see Dinwiddie and Bertans suit up tonight.
Blindside05
AG
Free throw shooting between the mavs and Ags drives me ****ing insane
mavsfan4ever
AG
KLEBER!!!
qunique_2004
AG
Man what a game from Maxi!!!
awrollins
What a win!
Man am I starting to come around on Kidd, another top 10 offense held to under 100 in a W….
Zachary Klement
AG
Interesting thread on Bertans. Haralabob is a decent follow tbh
Blindside05
AG
Holy ****…. What a start!
94chem
Haha. Luka checking the stat sheet and bricking the FT's. Gotta be better than that. He's just not improving at the line. Gotta shoot 80 if you're gonna dominate the ball.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
dave94
AG
WTf Gif
NoahAg
Post all star break predictions?

Pretty tough stretch coming up. Mavs are w/in striking distance of Utah but I see us losing ground down the stretch. I think we'll hold onto the 5 seed, finish with 49 wins. Get by Utah in round 1, but lose in round 2.
Let's go, Brandon!
Zachary Klement
AG
Luka powers us to the three seed! The West is wiiiiiiide open with CP3 down. Mavs to the finals!
awrollins
Mavs won the trade
gigem1223
So how old will Luka be before he finally gets obvious fouls called?
M.C. Swag
AG
Whenever he stops mother f'n the refs every minute of the game lol
Ol Jock 99
AG
awrollins said:

Mavs won the trade
Dinwiddie: 20/2/2 in 25 min
Bertans: 17/3/0 in 18 min

KP: 0/0/0 in 0 min
gigem1223
To be fair I would be too. Especially down the stretch. Gobert fouled him 2x down the stretch.
MW03
AG
Gobert was fouling, but that was ridiculously good defense from a big man.
MW03
AG
If anyone is looking to offload tickets for Saturday, I'm looking to take my kiddo. Game is at 4 against Charlotte, so it seems like a good one for kids if anyone is selling or can't use their tickets.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.