***Official 2021-2022 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

158,474 Views | 2235 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by M.C. Swag
Zachary Klement
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Blindside05 said:

Brunson lost everything he gained in round 1
Hopefully it works that way. Don't want to overpay for a dude who is worthless in some series.
Blindside05
AG
sincereag said:

My gosh, can Reggie Miller be more obnoxious or what?

Can barely understand him with phx's cock in his mouth
gigem1223
Miller has a vendetta with Luka. Luka has had to switch on several of these shots but he keeps calling out Luka on D.
Blindside05
AG
Someone needs to Embiid booker if they want to leave him in
PatAg
AG
Luka wasn't even defending Paul for Pauls first 6-7 points of the quarter.
You also cant expect Luka to defend a PG like paul one on one, the defense has to adapt and it didnt at all

Then to compound matters, you cant go radio silent on offense when the other team is heating up, you absolutely have to hang with them
We just played abysmally on both ends and then game was over.
ryanhnc10
AG
What's the highest ever fg % in a playoff game? Suns have to be close to it
TheCurl84
AG
Dallas has to do something to get them out of their rhythm. Phx is bullying the Mavs. I wish Kidd would have used the final 5 minutes to ugly it up.
JWinTX
No surprise here, but Phoenix is just proving that they are way ahead of where Dallas is, from overall talent and speed, to a much more athletic roster that knows how to win. I figured Dallas would be doing do good to get more than 5 games in this series, since they've owned us for quite awhile now. It'll be a tough deal to get even one game in Dallas at home.
HawthornAggie
AG
Hard to beat a team that shoots over 60% from the field and over 50% from 3
Carlo4
AG
Announcers: Kidd wanted the Suns to go small.

Suns go on 20-2 run going small.
Carlo4
AG
2nd half adjustments killing the Mavs ultimately. Kidd is getting schooled and the Suns are taking this all very personally, which I can't understand.

Both games Luka was on a 50-10-10 pace at the half. 3rd quarter is a combined 5 points both games if memory serves.

They are going after Luka on both ends and exploiting him. Luka will need to grow mentally and physically for the next game.
PatAg
AG
Carlo4 said:

That was a very disengenous comment, because we wanted them to go small while WE had OUR small lineup out
We had freakin bertans and kleber in, reggie miller ****ing sucks so much to listen too. i wish you could just turn the broadcast off and only hear game sounds.
500,000ags
AG
Not really sure how the Mavs can win 4 of the next 5. Best case might be for him to see how Paul is approaching this series.
Carlo4
AG
PatAg said:

Carlo4 said:

That was a very disengenous comment, because we wanted them to go small while WE had OUR small lineup out
We had freakin bertans and kleber in, reggie miller ****ing sucks so much to listen too. i wish you could just turn the broadcast off and only hear game sounds.

Wasn't knocking Kidd. That wasabout the horrible announcers
PatAg
AG
Carlo4 said:

PatAg said:

Carlo4 said:

Wasn't knocking Kidd. That wasabout the horrible announcers
Yea. I meant the announcer comment was disengenuous, not yours.
Proposition Joe
Suns are faster and more dynamic around the bucket. With the defenses Dallas has out there, they are pretty much going to score at will. You've got a couple of bigs who are open on double-teams, and then Devin Booker who has such a smooth shot. You add Chris Paul just being ridiculous and that offense cannot be stopped.

Dallas matching them relies on hitting lights out from 3. Even Luka has stopped driving to the basket and is leaning harder on the 3 (which to be fair he is hitting at a great clip).

Unfortunately if Brunson has turned back into a pumpkin then this team is completely 1-dimensional on offense (3's).
MavsAg
AG
PatAg said:

You also cant expect Luka to defend a PG like paul one on one, the defense has to adapt and it didnt at all

Then to compound matters, you cant go radio silent on offense when the other team is heating up, you absolutely have to hang with them
They were hunting Luka in the 4th. Whoever Luka was guarding would immediately come up to the top of the key for a pick and roll. Luka is a below average defender and forcing him to play D also tired him out so he's less effective on O.

I hate Haralobos, but he was all over this on Twitter during the game.

Zachary Klement
AG
After watching this series, I'd be comfortable letting Brunson go if we cannot resign him at the appropriate value…he is borderline worthless in some playoff series…don't want a KP 2.0 situation where we are hamstrung by a massive contract on a dude who is unplayable in some matchups.
South Platte
We need to win game 3 if for nothing more than to end the losing streak vs. the Suns.
Proposition Joe
The commentators last night were pointing it out as well.
Proposition Joe
And I don't watch enough - whats the consensus on Luka's stamina? I get that he's not going to play the full 48, but there's at least 3-4 offensive possessions where he takes the play off, and he doesn't exactly bust his ass on defense.
mavsfan4ever
AG
The problem is that if we don't spend the money on Jalen we can't go sign anyone else with that money. It's Jalen or nobody. So we probably need to keep him.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Yea we are going to see this every 4th quarter I'm afraid. Luka didn't have a prayer at staying in front (or anywhere near) Paul. Other than double teaming him and then playing 3 on 4, I don't see how how we stop it when Luka is playing matador defense. And Suns aren't really a team you want to play 3 on 4 against.

M.C. Swag
AG
Zachary Klement said:

After watching this series, I'd be comfortable letting Brunson go if we cannot resign him at the appropriate value…he is borderline worthless in some playoff series…don't want a KP 2.0 situation where we are hamstrung by a massive contract on a dude who is unplayable in some matchups.
That's not an option. Whether we pay him $3m/yr or $30m/yr, the Mavs are over the cap. We either sign him (to keep or trade) or lose him for nothing. Either way we can't use that money on anything else.
PatAg
AG
MavsAg said:

PatAg said:

They were hunting Luka in the 4th. Whoever Luka was guarding would immediately come up to the top of the key for a pick and roll. Luka is a below average defender and forcing him to play D also tired him out so he's less effective on O.

I hate Haralobos, but he was all over this on Twitter during the game.

None of what you said goes against what I said. The first series of buckets were against our 'good' defenders.
Luka is a decent defender, but you shouldn't expect a 6'7 player to guard 6'1 PGs. We never adjusted to what they were doing, and that's on the coaching staff.

Haralobos is a ******, and should be banend from the thread.

Either way, our offense is just out of sorts, and its hard to know how much of that is due to players in foul trouble vs how much is Luka not trusting them and how much is directed from the coaching staff.

500,000ags
AG
Idk, their taller defenders seem to handle Brunson pretty well. Plus, CP3 isn't the most athletic dude on the court. I get that he is maybe the most crafty veteran in the league, but a 24 year old Luka should be able to guard a 37 year old Paul.
PatAg
AG
500,000ags said:

Idk, their taller defenders seem to handle Brunson pretty well. Plus, CP3 isn't the most athletic dude on the court. I get that he is maybe the most crafty veteran in the league, but a 24 year old Luka should be able to guard a 37 year old Paul.
I think you need to be a good defender to gaurd Chris paul, and I think Luka is just decent. He's definitely not good on the perimeter, and he doesnt even need to lock anyone down.
He just needs to not be a turnstile, and if your strategy is to just hope he suddenly gains the physical traits to stop what the Suns are doing, thats bad coaching.
PatAg
AG
500,000ags said:

I actually think Brunson has been beating his defender, they just have a real center at the rim and we dont. Their team is providing better help defense than we have. and Brunson has just been in foul trouble both games as well.
I didnt really realize just how good Ayton was offensively until this series, I haven't watched the Suns a ton the last year or two.
NoahAg
Sometimes teams just have a better roster. That's the Suns this year. Gotta credit their staff for getting all they can out of their bench. They've got 3 bigs to rotate in. We really need our "Tyson Chandler" for this roster.
Also, missing Hardaway hurts, especially when Brunson has done a negative 180 from round 1.
Let's go, Brandon!
500,000ags
AG
I know everyone looks good when shooting like they are, but I agree their roster has almost no weaknesses. When the discussion is if the fourth best player is Bridges, that is a loaded starting 5.
mavsfan4ever
AG
PatAg said:

500,000ags said:

I think you need to be a good defender to gaurd Chris paul, and I think Luka is just decent. He's definitely not good on the perimeter, and he doesnt even need to lock anyone down.
He just needs to not be a turnstile, and if your strategy is to just hope he suddenly gains the physical traits to stop what the Suns are doing, thats bad coaching.

No one is expecting Luka to lock down CP3. But the key to what you said is that he can't be a turnstile, which is what he was last night. It took no effort for CP3 to get right by him. A few were laughable. And I'm not sure how you can coach against that, other than doubling right away which leaves you playing 3 on 4 against Booker/Bridges/etc, which seems like a recipe for disaster.

Luka isn't some 7 foot big with no movement. It shouldn't be that easy for CP3 to just go right past him. If he can just hold him up a little, then even that would be a big help.

But the Suns are just very very good. So there isn't a great answer on how to defend them.
Zachary Klement
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Zachary Klement said:

That's not an option. Whether we pay him $3m/yr or $30m/yr, the Mavs are over the cap. We either sign him (to keep or trade) or lose him for nothing. Either way we can't use that money on anything else.
Ahhhh I am still new to following the NBA and learning about some of the cap stuff...curious to see what happens in free agency.
South Platte
Let's see how this series plays out. The only game vs. Phoenix in Dallas this year we had a decent lead all game and then blew it at the end. I think (hope?) these teams are closer than the first two games have shown.
M.C. Swag
AG
haha no worries man! It's just an ugly truth that the Mavs basically have no choice but to pay Brunson whatever he'll accept.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Yea that's what I'm hoping. Atmosphere will be great at the aac Friday night with a late tip. I'm really hoping we can win Friday just bc it'll be a blast and will make Sunday a blast as well. Sunday won't be much fun if we are already down 0-3.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.