***Official 2021-2022 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

160,768 Views | 2235 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by M.C. Swag
M.C. Swag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

It's sort of jarring to watch the team play and then go look at the standings. We are not playing like a good team now, but we're somehow 3rd in the West. Hopefully it's just the transition to a new system making us look bad. At least we're not falling behind in the standings while we try to figure it out
haha it beats the old days where the Mavs were basically competitive in every game but still lost. I remember they had like best +/- margin with a losing record in league history or something.
Scotty Flamingo
This team is frustrating
fightinags2013
AG
Typical middle of the road team that can beat the bottom 10 teams pretty regularly but is going to struggle to beat any good teams.

It's time to start thinking about which role players you could package for an upgrade. Some combo of a pick, Maxi, DFS, and definitely Brunson (who you stand to lose in free agency this off-season) would net you a pretty good piece. Maybe you find a team who wants a flyer on Josh Green and include him as well.

Also- Willie should never see the court again. He is just brutal to watch.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Luka was -20 last night. He's now averaging -8.7 per game on the season, which matches the eye test. -8.7 is far and away the worst on the team. I would imagine it's also one of the worst, maybe the worst, of the top players and all stars in the league.

I really hope this coaching staff can get through to him to change some stuff in his game/strategy. It's no longer a blip in the radar and he's got to realize that changes are needed. Until then, I agree we will continue to beat the bad teams and have a very tough time beating the good teams.
jeffdjohnson
mavsfan4ever said:

Luka was -20 last night. He's now averaging -8.7 per game on the season, which matches the eye test. -8.7 is far and away the worst on the team. I would imagine it's also one of the worst, maybe the worst, of the top players and all stars in the league.

I really hope this coaching staff can get through to him to change some stuff in his game/strategy. It's no longer a blip in the radar and he's got to realize that changes are needed. Until then, I agree we will continue to beat the bad teams and have a very tough time beating the good teams.

Playing Luka significant minutes with DFS and Powell (both starting) is also doing him no favors. DFS has been dog **** so far this year and should be benched for Bullock. Powell should never start a game unless you are tanking, yet here we are.
PatAg
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

You don't think its more likely that Luka is playing according to a game plan/strategy that Kidd is implementing?
M.C. Swag
AG
PatAg said:

mavsfan4ever said:

You don't think its more likely that Luka is playing according to a game plan/strategy that Kidd is implementing?
I don't see it as a strategy issue (outside of Kidd keeping Powell in the lineup). Luka's rim frequency, FTr and 3PAr are all career-lows. TS at a career-worst 52.4% It's pretty hard to put the blame on anyone other than Luka for his level of play. He looks out of shape and disinterested early in games.
Ol Jock 99
AG
The post contract year blues.
mavsfan4ever
AG
jeffdjohnson said:

mavsfan4ever said:

Playing Luka significant minutes with DFS and Powell (both starting) is also doing him no favors. DFS has been dog **** so far this year and should be benched for Bullock. Powell should never start a game unless you are tanking, yet here we are.

Agree that the lineups should change. I was hopeful that the lineups would change after about 10 games, but they haven't yet. Hopefully soon.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Agree. People love to complain about us not having other great players to go alongside Luka (which is generally a fair complaint). But it's hard to make that complaint this year given how poor Luka has been (and given that his style of play makes it difficult for others to get involved while he is on the floor).
dave94
AG
Best all around game this season. Against a losing team of course, but nice to see the offense clicking.

KP was legit.
PatAg
AG
Luka is generating a similar amount of open shots that he has the previous 2 seasons..they're bricking them
jeffdjohnson
Have to play DEN, PHX (x2), and LAC (x2) coming up. The Mavs record says they are a good team. The Mavs net rating, not so much. Going to be an interesting next 9 days. It is time to beat some good teams.
awrollins
Hopefully we should be able to capitalize on Denver on the second night of a B2B tonight. Their injury report is long:
MW03
AG
Zinger bright his shooting shorts tonight.
gigem1223
Nice games from KP and Hardaway. Needed that W.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Great game. KP is looking great. Hopefully Luka's ankle isn't as bad as it seemed at the end.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Luka out tonight?
M.C. Swag
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Luka out tonight?
Yea I think he's been ruled out for this whole west coast trip. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
dave94
AG
I'd only seen it's tonight for sure. After that, TBD.
HawthornAggie
AG
dave94 said:

I'd only seen it's tonight for sure. After that, TBD.

Heard the same on Dallas radio
awrollins
M.C. Swag said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

Luka out tonight?
Yea I think he's been ruled out for this whole west coast trip. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

He traveled with the team, so they are taking day by day with the possibility of him coming back anytime on the road trip. We shall see. It's unfortunate that this is arguably the worst possible time he could have gotten hurt (excluding right before the playoffs obviously) as we are about to enter probably our toughest stretch of the season…
dave94
AG
KP started the game looking great.

The supporting cast definitely needs to do more when he isn't on the floor.
dave94
AG
Brunson's the key
awrollins
Frank Ntilikina was an amazing addition for a minimum contract. Dude's been better than both Bullock and Brown this season.
MW03
AG
Big fan of the French Prince, Frankie Smokes
PatAg
AG
Chris Paul gets away with yet another foul, how predictable
ChoppinDs40
AG
THATS a foul? Jesus I hate the NBA sometimes
awrollins
Refs hoed us down the stretch. Although ultimately Kidd playing a lineup that consisted of Powell and Burke at the 6 min mark and the weird zone that we went into where the Suns had two WIDE open looks lost us the game. I'm extremely baffled by some of the calls Kidd is making. Why in the world would we go into a zone that's mainly meant to protect the paint and give up open looks against a team that was extremely hot from behind the arc in the 4th. Am I missing something?
fightinags2013
AG
Kidd tried to get cute with that zone and it bit us in the butt. Frustrating because we could have easily stolen that game.
NukeAg10
AG
Another brutal 4th quarter.
notjakefromstatefarm
AG
These last couple of games against the suns have been frustrating, especially in the 4th. However, if KP can continue this level of play with Luka back, I am more optimistic about the outlook of the season. Thoughts?
HawthornAggie
AG
KP was great offensively and had some moments on defense. But it looked like he made the wrong decision or got stuck in no-man's land on 90% of the pick and rolls from the suns.
NukeAg10
AG
notjakefromstatefarm said:

These last couple of games against the suns have been frustrating, especially in the 4th. However, if KP can continue this level of play with Luka back, I am more optimistic about the outlook of the season. Thoughts?

He clearly can't carry a team like Luka.
dave94
AG
I think it's more clear that when they're both on the floor this team will be in any game.

I'm not panicking about the last two games. Without Luka we still had a chance to win both games. But we have too many dudes missing open shots.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.