***Official 2021-2022 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

156,874 Views | 2235 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by M.C. Swag
M.C. Swag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The 2020-2021 season is officially closed! And it was a bit of a mixed bag.

Mavs got off to a sluggish start due to a rampant COVID outbreak but fought back the second half of the season to secure the 5th seed (a marked improvement from last year's 7th seed).

Despite this improvement, we saw the end of the Donnie Nelson and Rick Carlisle eras. Regardless of how Mavs fans feel about these individuals, it cannot be argued that they were important cornerstones in the franchises' history. Donnie was largely responsible for scouting Dirk and convincing him to come to Dallas and stumping for Cuban to draft this kid named Luka Doncic.

Rick was a consistently elite Xs & Os coach for 13 years in Dallas and squeezed every ounce of talent out of his rosters, but more importantly, he helped deliver the only Larry O trophy to the Big D.

All things come to an end eventually, but we were lucky to have these guys. Now we look ahead.

In at GM, is Nico Harrison; a long time Nike exec who should, on paper, help the Mavs in Free Agency with his connections to Nike branded athletes. Accompanying Nico as Head Coach, is his personal friend and former Mav champion, Jason Kid.

Any change is uncomfortable but true growth can only be achieved through change. I'm willing to set aside my preconceptions and roll with whatever comes from this new regime. The future of the franchise (luka), hinges on their ability to grow.

So lets get this season started with our 2x ALL NBA 1ST TEAM player, Luka Doncic, and get this man some help! Free agency is only THREE WEEKS away!

Will JRich opt in?
Will we re-sign THJ?
What trades are we going to make?
How are we going to maximize the ~30ish million in cap space we could have?
Will Luka win MVP?
Find out next season, on DRAGONBALL Z.

Saint Pablo
IN
Ol Jock 99
AG
notjakefromstatefarm
AG
Interesting times ahead!
BallerStaf2003
AG
Is there a chance JRich opts OUT? I can't imagine his stock is very high.
Saint Pablo
He may be better off going elsewhere to try and raise his stock for his last shot at a pay day.

I have seen some sites predicting he opts out.
awrollins
Excited for the future!
MW03
AG
What did they do to Dirk!?

Saint Pablo
Who tf is buying the WNBA version lol
NoahAg
Saint Pablo said:

I have a feeling that they'll keep the sales figures for the Parker version VERY quiet.
Blindside05
AG
NoahAg said:

Saint Pablo said:

I have a feeling that they'll keep the sales figures for the Parker version VERY quiet.

Yea.... but equal pay!!!!!
Saint Pablo
Would we sign Kawhi if we knew he may miss all of next season rehabbing his ACL?
M.C. Swag
AG
lol yes
Saint Pablo
Anyone catch today's presser? I am just starting the Locked On Mavs podcast about it.
Saint Pablo
Also, have to brag about the anniversary gift from the wife!
Ol Jock 99
AG
Saint Pablo said:

Anyone catch today's presser? I am just starting the Locked On Mavs podcast about it.
Just heard a clip on the Ticket while driving around. There was a pointed question about domestic violence asked of Kidd and some female exec in the organization. Good times.

And apparently Cuban was defensive and non-committal on the topic of Bob Delaerjoufasldvjlkjanllafdsja (sp?).
Saint Pablo
A Latvian Reddit user summarized Zinger's interview w Latvian media. Interesting. Hope he gets it going next season!

Quote:

As a Latvian myself I will try to translate to the best of my abilities what porzingis said about his last season with Dallas.
[ol]
  • Started off by saying the last season and playoffs especially was very tough on him. He was asked to take a smaller role in the playoffs. It was hard accepting it, but as a professional he took on this role. The reason it was so hard is because he knows what he can bring to the team but it just wasn't his choice. In the end, he started accepting his new role and gave everything he could, because all he cared about was winning.
  • About being the one who is blamed after the series loss. He of course acknowledges the fact, that the media will ALWAYS find someone to blame for a loss. It's just the way how things work. "As a max contract player they view you differently and expect a lot from you". But he likes the critic (in a healthy positive way) because for him it gives him the motivation to work even harder this summer to prove he can work both in the regular and post-season while being a capable threat and not just a corner 3 shooter.
  • Smiled when asked about how things are off the court in the organization in the NBA in general. Didn't comment buch but said that each organization is different. Some built better, some worse, but you gotta adjust to the new situation.
  • First off-season where he is healthy. First time when he has been healthy in the offseason so he can put the work in. Works with his physio once a day and will start doing it twice a day starting soon (idk if this is much relevant).
  • Says his injuries have mostly been contact injuries and not non-contact and he is not concerned about injury risk but does say that it is hard staying healthy with how physical the game is. Is trying to find the balance between being quick and also having muscle mass to be more sturdier.
  • Is ready to help the Latvia national team (mentions this as one of his favourite things to do and wants to do in the future), but not this year due to him wanting to get ready for the NBA season.
  • Sets a goal of his stats that he wants to achieve before every season (but kept the specific stats to himself).
  • Was asked if he would rather be the best player on a mediocre team or a role player on a great team - said team always come first. Winning makes everyone look good. Said he now has no problem adjusting to a different role and will do everything he can to allow his team to win.
  • Is enjoying this moment of being doubted and wants to prove everyone wrong next season.
  • [/ol]Overall was very cool, calm and collected. Spoke like a true professional in his interview. Even though I am a Celtic fan, as a Latvian I am hoping to see some good things from him next season! Hope this is some content you guys wanted to hear!
    Saint Pablo
    J.P. 03
    AG
    Man, it's gonna be tough to keep Luka, KP, Kawhi, and Dame all happy next year...I hope J-Kidd can keep all those egos in check for the good of the team.
    Saint Pablo
    Don't forget Ben Simmons!
    Saint Pablo
    Calling my shot now, the Mavs are going to land Kawhi this offseason!
    True Anomaly
    AG
    Ol Jock 99 said:

Saint Pablo said:

Just heard a clip on the Ticket while driving around. There was a pointed question about domestic violence asked of Kidd and some female exec in the organization. Good times.

And apparently Cuban was defensive and non-committal on the topic of Bob Delaerjoufasldvjlkjanllafdsja (sp?).
    I did listen to the whole thing, and it was a lot of BS- mostly from Cuban, and a bunch of non-answers from Nico Harrison. However, I'll give credit to Jason Kidd, who at least attempted a real answer to every question he was given

As Dan and Jake pointed out afterwards, the use of Cynthia Marshall as a complete smokescreen during this press conference was laughable
    ramblin_ag02
    AG
    J.P. 03 said:

Man, it's gonna be tough to keep Luka, KP, Kawhi, and Dame all happy next year...I hope J-Kidd can keep all those egos in check for the good of the team.
    I'm not holding my breath for Kwahi or Dame, but wasn't the whole point of hiring Nico to attract new talent?
    No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
    True Anomaly
    AG
    Sounds like Cuban all but confirmed that Bob Voulgaris is still on staff with the Mavs
    94chem
    Saint Pablo said:

Good thing his HS coach didn't cut anybody after layup lines.
    94chem,
    That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
    Saint Pablo
    94chem said:

Saint Pablo said:

Or free throw drills.
    Saint Pablo
    Saint Pablo said:

94chem said:

Saint Pablo said:

Or free throw drills.
    Or three point drills.
    Saint Pablo
    Saint Pablo said:

Saint Pablo said:

94chem said:

Saint Pablo said:

Or free throw drills.
    Or three point drills.
    Or for just generally being a *****.
    94chem
    Saint Pablo said:

Saint Pablo said:

Saint Pablo said:

94chem said:

Saint Pablo said:

Or free throw drills.
    Or three point drills.
    Or for just generally being a *****.

Couldnt even get LSU to sniff the NIT. Got doubled up by Billy Kennedy in a tournament game.
    94chem,
    That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
    Saint Pablo
    Anyone watching Slovenia later?
    awrollins
    Saint Pablo said:

Anyone watching Slovenia later?

Yes!
    Saint Pablo
    Luka feasting tonight! Hope he wins gold this yearfeels possible given the state of the US.
    awrollins
    Saint Pablo said:

Luka feasting tonight! Hope he wins gold this yearfeels possible given the state of the US.

Yeah, Slovenia seems to have an identity and an offense, unlike many of the presumed great teams
    awrollins
    For those of you who missed it:
    COAg15
    AG
    Such a boss!

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.