Houston
Sponsored by

Swiper swiping Dora's territory - Staff Edit 6/17/22 & 6/18/22

185,061 Views | 1404 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by aTm2004
cajunaggie08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CDUB98 said:

aTm2004 said:

Ryan the Temp said:

Mealer has been running a strong campaign the entire time, just beating the drum against Hidalgo out in public in front of regular voters, making personal connections with people while Hidalgo sits on her hands thinking her incumbency is enough to get her across the finish line.

Maybe she assumed people will just vote straight ticket since Beto is on the ballot again, but she forgot there is no longer straight ticket and Beto is a known pandering POS now.

There's about 40% of voters that will vote blue no matter who.

Never discount this.
And 40% will vote red no matter who. Its the 20% of the "independent" public along with voter turnout that determines how elections go. Hidalgo ran a terrible campaign 4 years ago and is running a bad one again. But ultimately it will come down to who is more motivated to go to the polls. Once again Hidalgo's chances of winning hinges on how many voters come out for O'Rourke and happen to select Hidalgo as well while working their way through the ballot.
Irish 2.0
I don't think democrat voters are enthused about getting up and going to vote for Robert. They know he has no chance and his gun grabber **** still lingers. That's not a winning call for democrats in Texas and the democrat voters know it.
T Durden
AG
You do know. The pictures are right above this post.

The chronicle should be covering this issue. If they have and I missed it then my bad.
cajunaggie08
AG
The photo is from 2018 back when no one knew her name, not even those who voted for her.
XpressAg09
AG
htxag09 said:

I just think someone too lazy to take 2 minutes to select candidates is too lazy to go vote in the first place.
I'm not so sure it's laziness so much as, why would any half-ass Democrat be excited to go vote right now? Trump isn't on the ticket, no mean tweets, inflation is up, gas is up, the list goes on.

What could possibly drive an apathetic Democrat voter to go vote right now? There's literally nothing going for them at this point.
Ryan the Temp
AG
T Durden said:

You do know. The pictures are right above this post.

The chronicle should be covering this issue. If they have and I missed it then my bad.
Yes, the only thing I know about that is what I've seen here. I had no knowledge of it before seeing this thread.
htxag09
AG
XpressAg09 said:

htxag09 said:

I just think someone too lazy to take 2 minutes to select candidates is too lazy to go vote in the first place.
I'm not so sure it's laziness so much as, why would any half-ass Democrat be excited to go vote right now? Trump isn't on the ticket, no mean tweets, inflation is up, gas is up, the list goes on.

What could possibly drive an apathetic Democrat voter to go vote right now? There's literally nothing going for them at this point.

That wasn't the point of my post. My post was in response to people saying Dora would lose because straight ticket voting is no longer an option. I just don't see that as changing much of anything.
XpressAg09
AG
Yeah, I started quoting your post and kinda changed my mind halfway through and just went with it.

Fingers crossed that apathy keeps D voters at home.
cajunaggie08
AG
XpressAg09 said:

htxag09 said:

The supreme court decision on Roe has a lot of female voters energized.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Nothing worse for our country than when the idiots get energized. Seriously.
Irish 2.0
cajunaggie08 said:

XpressAg09 said:

htxag09 said:

No it doesn't. Being told not to go out after dark, economy in the ****ter, and Tommy's daddy telling mommy to ease up on the spending are much larger driving factors and every poll shows it.
maroon barchetta
cajunaggie08 said:

XpressAg09 said:

htxag09 said:

The ones "energized" about this probably got energized and protested and wore vagina hats the day after Trump got inaugurated.

You know, protesting for rights THEY ALREADY HAVE.

These women are always pissed off about something and we're going to show up and vote blue regardless. They are not some sort of swing voters.
cajunaggie08
AG
maroon barchetta said:

cajunaggie08 said:

XpressAg09 said:

htxag09 said:

The ones "energized" about this probably got energized and protested and wore vagina hats the day after Trump got inaugurated.

These women are always pissed off about something and we're going to show up and vote blue regardless. They are not some sort of swing voters.
You are right that they aren't swing voters but they may be more likely to go to the polls now than before. There is a reason GOP polling is down with suburban women.
aTm2004
AG
CDUB98 said:

aTm2004 said:

Ryan the Temp said:

Mealer has been running a strong campaign the entire time, just beating the drum against Hidalgo out in public in front of regular voters, making personal connections with people while Hidalgo sits on her hands thinking her incumbency is enough to get her across the finish line.

Maybe she assumed people will just vote straight ticket since Beto is on the ballot again, but she forgot there is no longer straight ticket and Beto is a known pandering POS now.

There's about 40% of voters that will vote blue no matter who.

Never discount this.
I understand that, but I also belive even some of those have had enough with Hidalgo because they see the crime increase across the city. My point was she rode into office from straight ticket voting on the Beto wave. This election, the energy around Beto isn't near what it was due to him being a known commodity, so I believe turnout will be less, and thsoe that do, there will be several who vote her out, even if they're a Beta supporter.

On the flip side, I believe the energy on the republican side is much higher due to Jello and Heels, even if Abbott sucks.
aTm2004
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

maroon barchetta said:

cajunaggie08 said:

XpressAg09 said:

htxag09 said:

You are right that they aren't swing voters but they may be more likely to go to the polls now than before. There is a reason GOP polling is down with suburban women.
Suburban women do have a lot on the ballot:

Vote Republican and they can't kill a baby before their husband finds out she's getting dicked by another dude

Vote Democrat and their children could get post-birth aborted by one of the thugs Hidalgo's policies let back onto the streets

Quite the conundrum
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
htxag09 said:

Agree. Maybe I'm wrong but I really don't see the straight ticket deal as changing that much. I mean if someone is actually taking the time to go to vote, I'd expect them to just go down the list checking people with R or D next to their name. So all those people going to vote for Beto and would have done straight ticket in the past are still going to vote for Dora.

You'd be surprised at how many people get past the first 1-2 items on the ballot where they recognize a name and stop caring. They never get close to the 9th page where they cast a vote between Javier Rodriguez (R) and Jacqueline Smith (D) for dog catcher.
CDUB98
AG
Gee, maybe the easiest way to solve that would be not cheat on their husband, but that would require discipline.
aTm2004
AG
It's 2022...you can't possibly think people are disciplined and should be held accountable for their choices.
XpressAg09
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

Of all the things going on, this is the hill for some folks to die on, and that's sad.
TarponChaser
AGHouston11 said:

David Happymountain said:

T Durden said:

Didn't she have a get together with the communists?

It's hard to imagine the times we are in. Dora taking a picture with the communist party should end any candidates chances.

But not in today's world

Did y'all catch this in the comments of that post?

TarponChaser
cajunaggie08 said:

maroon barchetta said:

cajunaggie08 said:

XpressAg09 said:

htxag09 said:

You're going to have to back that up with legit polling data because everything I've seen shows abortion is way down the list for suburban women. Parental control/influence in schools and the economy/inflation are consistently the top items for this voting bloc.

And, as usual, the headlines re: abortion are so reductive as to be misleading. The numbers haven't changed in probably 20 years. In the first trimester or so, not quite 3/4ths of the country supports abortion being legal. In the second and third trimesters support for on-demand abortion plummets dramatically. Something like 35% and 10%, respectively. The country does broadly support exceptions for rape and incest in the second trimester but that plummets as well in the third trimester. Exceptions for the life of the mother are broadly supported regardless of where she is in the pregnancy.

If you want to argue that the GOP was caught flat-footed because they didn't actually think SCOTUS would overturn Roe, cause their largely symbolic "trigger laws" passed years and years ago to go into effect, and be unprepared to have thoughtful debate on the matter, I'll agree but that's not the situation of facts on the ground regarding the importance of abortion as an electoral debate.
txags92
AG
I think the dems are vastly overestimating the "pull" of the Dobbs decision on voters who are not already very reliable democratic voters. The people who are really emotional about it and "energized" were never going to vote republican anyway. The average suburban female voter in Houston is much more likely to go to 2nd Baptist and worry about their car getting broken into or their cat converter stolen than they are to go downtown with a picket sign to protest the Dobbs decision.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

maroon barchetta said:

cajunaggie08 said:

XpressAg09 said:

htxag09 said:

Because they're morons?
T Durden
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

The photo is from 2018 back when no one knew her name, not even those who voted for her.

I wonder if she stopped enjoying the company of communists recently..
Redstone
AG
Irish 2.0
Mealer
AlaskanAg99
AG
When did that interview take place?
T Durden
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

And will it air on some TV broadcast?
Ryan the Temp
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

That's the Chron Editorial Board room where they conduct endorsement interviews. This was very likely the endorsement interview, because they typically do them with all candidates together. The Chron publishes the video for major races. It's probably on their website somewhere.
AlaskanAg99
AG
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/opinion/endorsements/article/Mealer-Hidalgo-Harris-County-debate-17504357.php

Just curious when this was shot since she's been so deathly ill lately.
HtownAg92
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.houstonchronicle.com/opinion/endorsements/article/Mealer-Hidalgo-Harris-County-debate-17504357.php&ved=2ahUKEwj23LCh-936AhUQm2oFHcjlDXAQ0PADKAB6BAgJEAE&usg=AOvVaw36aGoqBF_6QlnSqfMlijBg

Just curious when this was shot since she's been so deathly ill lately.
Your post and the video are on borrowed time here.
Irish 2.0
If moderation removes that link, I will personally call Billy's cell. I've never bothered him on his cell phone about moderation (nor would I want to), but I'd be fine calling him on this one. The link is literally just a link to the full video from the tweeted clip.
Redstone
AG
I also have Staff as well as Moderator email from their multiple contacts with me.
AlaskanAg99
AG
From the video clip, the expansion of the county govt budget is mostly due to ARPA funds. When those expire all of those programs will come to an end. There is no general funding source to keep them going.

On the transparency she mentions of government, by creating the County Administer office, this effectively buries departments. Before the County Engineer sat at the table, now the Administer is there and represents all the non-elected postions. Through which all department heads have been replaced. Literally buried under another layer of government. Universal Services is run by the Major General (Ret) who has no background in IT. Under his leadership staff had been bleeding which resulted in the failure of the software which processes those in the court system. Hundreds of people were released because they couldn't be processed in the time frame allowed by law. There are still massive backlogs in processing. That's directly due to a bad hire...and he's still there.

The county elections office is now appointed and reports to the county administrator. Instead of an elected County Clerk. There are massive issues with this.

I think Mealer will eliminate both offices and all positions in each.
Irish 2.0
I love a politician willing to ****can people and eliminate worthless positions

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.