Houston
Sponsored by

Swiper swiping Dora's territory - Staff Edit 6/17/22 & 6/18/22

184,725 Views | 1404 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by aTm2004
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nitro Power said:

This actually sounds very very realistic. With it already gaining steam, and not seemingly going away, I think it's safe to say she is toast. At this point, I think she has to figure out how to minimize the fallout. If she lost the Dem party, then she has no support. Depending on the corruption, I don't think it's too far out of bounds to say she could actually go to jail, with the way this is trending. Would be glorious. The stupidity I can live with because the voters put her in there. It's the self righteous condescension that causes me to despise her so.
She won't go to jail. Somebody below her will get a probation and fine level slap on the wrist out of it, but it will likely be enough to stunt her political career for a while at least until she has paid her dues within the local machine. The dem party is totally fine with corruption. Rodney Ellis is as dirty as they get in politics, and he is made of teflon as far as the dems are concerned.

Every once in a while, some adventurous investigative reporter will take a shot at him, but Ellis just ignores them, laughs it off when they try to question him, and the stories ultimately go nowhere because the rest of the media won't go anywhere with them. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Ellis' fingerprints are on some of the leaks to the news and law enforcement that got the ball rolling against Lina.
txags92
AG
Build It said:

Some of that is true but Emmett ignoring the will of the voters on the Dome cost him enough votes to lose.
Very true. Emmett didn't read the room very well and recognize how poorly he was perceived by a bunch of the people who would be considered his base. He also did nothing to run a campaign worthy of getting re-elected.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Nitro Power said:

Is anyone wondering who Dora pissed off so bad in the Dem party, that they didn't nip this in the bud already. We all say it's different with Democrats, and it is...unless you cross them. Wonder if they see how incompetent she is and are trying to squash further political aspirations.
Do you really think there's some monolithic supreme council meeting in a temple to hand out punishments and rewards or something? Lots of local Democrat officials hate each other and have regular problems working together on even basic functions.

The $11 million rigged contract was glaring. It was not the first smelly contract Lina's given out, for anyone paying attention. The Covid outreach was probably just the most glaring and workable for criminal investigators. There are legitimate reasons for her to be investigated; there's not always some grand partisan conspiracy being orchestrated up the food chain.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
txags92 said:

Build It said:

Some of that is true but Emmett ignoring the will of the voters on the Dome cost him enough votes to lose.
Very true. Emmett didn't read the room very well and recognize how poorly he was perceived by a bunch of the people who would be considered his base. He also did nothing to run a campaign worthy of getting re-elected.
.....And has spent the better part of the last 4-yers running the trade association breakfast circuit whining about it.
txags92
AG
Harry Lime said:

Nitro Power said:

Is anyone wondering who Dora pissed off so bad in the Dem party, that they didn't nip this in the bud already. We all say it's different with Democrats, and it is...unless you cross them. Wonder if they see how incompetent she is and are trying to squash further political aspirations.
Do you really think there's some monolithic supreme council meeting in a temple to hand out punishments and rewards or something? Lots of local Democrat officials hate each other and have regular problems working together on even basic functions.

The $11 million rigged contract was glaring. It was not the first smelly contract Lina's given out, for anyone paying attention. The Covid outreach was probably just the most glaring and workable for criminal investigators. There are legitimate reasons for her to be investigated; there's not always some grand partisan conspiracy being orchestrated up the food chain.
There are smelly contracts related to pretty much any local politician over at least the last 30 years...dem or rep. It was well known in contractor circles that if you wanted to do business with HC public works or with the Port, you were going to have to make some campaign contributions to even be considered. The problem was always getting the actual evidence to prove there was actual malfeasance instead of just the appearance of such. Sure, Dora's folks were novices and didn't do a very good job covering their tracks, but somebody's tip and info kicked off the real investigation and told them where to look, which is a step beyond the local investigative reporter doing a one-off story during sweeps week that such things would normally result it.
TarponChaser
Sea Speed said:

maroon barchetta said:

Let's see what's in the news today…

Ruh roh, Lina.

https://abc13.com/elevate-contract-harris-county-controversial-covid-outreach-strategies/11721220/

Damn. If I made simple mistakes like this daily id be canned. If you cant pay attention to detail enough that you're sending the wrong attachment daily, what bigger stuff are you screwing up regularly?

Quote:

She was sent a scope of work. That was the incorrect document. It was simply human error," Harrison said. "I (sometimes send) the wrong attachment (to people). I probably do that once a day.

So the defense is, "we're not corrupt just stupid," right?
ChipFTAC01
AG
TarponChaser said:

Sea Speed said:

maroon barchetta said:

Ruh roh, Lina.

https://abc13.com/elevate-contract-harris-county-controversial-covid-outreach-strategies/11721220/

Damn. If I made simple mistakes like this daily id be canned. If you cant pay attention to detail enough that you're sending the wrong attachment daily, what bigger stuff are you screwing up regularly?

Quote:

She was sent a scope of work. That was the incorrect document. It was simply human error," Harrison said. "I (sometimes send) the wrong attachment (to people). I probably do that once a day.

Worked for Hillary
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Everyone speeds from time to time. But if you blow through the same school zone every day at the same time, in the same car, flipping off the same people....
txags92
AG
Harry Lime said:

Everyone speeds from time to time. But if you blow through the same school zone every day at the same time, in the same car, flipping off the same people....
I also suspect that if Dora was going to be handing out cash to her friends, that there were some folks who thought they deserved a cut of that $11 million and didn't get it.
Nitro Power
AG
Do you really believe there is not an order to the way politics are handled? This is not conspiracy, it's reality. And this is not your run of the mill local politics. This is a high level executive of one of the biggest countries on the country. She has been on national media, and been involved in federal politics. If you think she isn't known to the higher level Democrat politicians and donors, you are mistaken.

Look no further than Hunter Biden and Dora. Both are corrupt, both have shady dealings. The exceptions are hunter Biden's dad, and the magnitude of corruption. If the story of the laptop is to be believed, they have him dead to rights, yet nothing. Dora...not so much
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I suspect - and it's just a guess - that this contract involving public health and non-traditional county vendors like UT Public Health probably brought more scrutiny to it.

But there are so many current and former county employees or players who would know who what to look for just by browsing commissioners court minutes and doing a little bit of background research. Given the pattern of behavior by her and her inner circle since taking office, it's just not surprising that they're getting more scrutiny, and sources could come from any number of places.
TarponChaser
ChipFTAC01 said:

TarponChaser said:

Sea Speed said:

maroon barchetta said:

Ruh roh, Lina.

Quote:

Worked for Hillary

I hope you don't get Arkan-cided bro.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Harry Lime said:

Nitro Power said:

Do you really think there's some monolithic supreme council meeting in a temple to hand out punishments and rewards or something?
Believe it or not, the answer to that question is actually something of a 'yes.' There are (D) kingmakers in Harris County that have a lot of clout and a lot of say as to who gets backed by the party, funded, and put on the ballot. It isn't an accident, for instance, that pretty much all judicial candidates are black women. There are some very well funded power brokers that are pulling a lot of strings.

Dora's win, like others have said, was a result of Beto nonsense and Emmitt apathy/disillusionment. It was a surprise to a lot of people and it let her "cut" in front of a lot of people in terms of political progression.

Here's my take. The local (D) machine -- based on primary turn outs -- probably knows that at the county level, they're generally safe but are sweating it this time around because the disaster of a Biden administration and skyrocketing local crime rates. And when you get a little bigger (think Texas appeals courts where (D)s have been picking up seats) they are looking a whole lot worse. Dora is a sacrifice to make Ogg and other HC elected law enforcement look good in the run up to the election to try to ensure the local (D) party doesn't lost anything (or at least very much) in November.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Quote:

Dora's win, like others have said, was a result of Beto nonsense and Emmitt apathy/disillusionment. It was a surprise to a lot of people and it let her "cut" in front of a lot of people in terms of political progression.
The part that folks forget is she wasn't even the Democrats' pick. She had a more qualified primary race opponent in Mike Nichols (former Sysco executive, two term state representative in Georgia from 1977 to 1981, interim CEO of the Houston Parks Board, leadership on the Houston Food Bank, the Houston Long Range Financial Management Task Force). He was favored but decided he would drop out of politics to focus on his family like two days after the campaign filing deadline. She was therefore the backup sacrificial lamb expected to get shellacked by Ed.

http://www.offthekuff.com/wp/?p=83743
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
Al Bula
AG
ThunderCougarFalconBird said:

The local (D) machine -- based on primary turn outs -- probably knows that at the county level, they're generally safe but are sweating it this time around because the disaster of a Biden administration and skyrocketing local crime rates.
started to reply to this in several ways and none of them are worth getting a ban.
BowSowy
AG
Sea Speed said:

Its also pretty wild that they are basically hinging their entire defense on accidentally sending the wrong attachment. Seems like a bold move. Also coming out and saying you do it daily sure seems like a way to get the DA to look through your other emails to see how often you send the wrong attachment. Oh, you don't do it daily or even weekly? Probably wasn't an accident to begin with in that case. Dumbass shouldn't talk to press or the cops, but good for us that he did.
Not to defend Dora, but that statement about making mistakes daily was from her campaign spokesman.
Sea Speed
AG
Ah thanks, I thought it was from a staffer that was embroiled in this whole thing, my bad. But great job picking your help there Dora. Your spokesman is too stupid to email but they are good enough to be your mouthpiece on the campaign trail. I guess that kind of fits considering everything Dora says is dumber than hell.
maroon barchetta
Sea Speed said:

Ah thanks, I thought it was from a staffer that was embroiled in this whole thing, my bad. But great job picking your help there Dora. Your spokesman is too stupid to email but they are good enough to be your mouthpiece on the campaign trail. I guess that kind of fits considering everything Dora says is dumber than hell.

That excuse was manufactured. "Let's just say we are stupid if we get caught."

They have probably had that one in the hopper for awhile.
Al Bula
AG
I hope all the toadies who are getting their laptops and phones seized are googling themselves out of pure narcissism and somehow see this thread.
Sea Speed
AG
How enraged do you think they get every time they see her called Dora?
Jock 07
AG
Nitro Power said:

Seems plausible. Dora always seems like she is about to cry every time she speaks. Ogg on the other hand...seems to be letting (or helping) crime skyrocket, so I was surprised that it came to this. Maybe Ogg is facing some heat over rising crime and is throwing out the proverbial sacrificial lamb?

Supposedly ogg has admitted within certain circles that she'd be better off politically if the republicans took back the county judgeships.
txags92
AG
BowSowy said:

Sea Speed said:

Its also pretty wild that they are basically hinging their entire defense on accidentally sending the wrong attachment. Seems like a bold move. Also coming out and saying you do it daily sure seems like a way to get the DA to look through your other emails to see how often you send the wrong attachment. Oh, you don't do it daily or even weekly? Probably wasn't an accident to begin with in that case. Dumbass shouldn't talk to press or the cops, but good for us that he did.
Not to defend Dora, but that statement about making mistakes daily was from her campaign spokesman.
So what was her campaign spokesman doing getting involved in a county procurement matters?
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Sea Speed said:

How enraged do you think they get every time they see her called Dora?

I legitimately forget that's not her real name all the time thanks to this thread.
FarmerJohn
AG
I don't think they are that self aware.
YellAg2004
AG
TarponChaser said:

Sea Speed said:

maroon barchetta said:

Ruh roh, Lina.

Quote:

It sucks for the firm on the receiving end, but if something like that happens, the proper recourse is that the firm is precluded from submitting a proposal for that work.

That's why it's so dangerous (and therefore illegal) as a gov employee to even start making the waters murky by talking with the proposed vendors about the work/RFP, especially via email w/ document exchanges. A simple human mistake (I don't think that's what happened here) can immediately DQ the firm you actually wanted to work with.
TarponChaser
YellAg2004 said:

TarponChaser said:

Sea Speed said:

maroon barchetta said:

Ruh roh, Lina.

Quote:

It sucks for the firm on the receiving end, but if something like that happens, the proper recourse is that the firm is precluded from submitting a proposal for that work.

That's why it's so dangerous (and therefore illegal) as a gov employee to even start making the waters murky by talking with the proposed vendors about the work/RFP, especially via email w/ document exchanges. A simple human mistake (I don't think that's what happened here) can immediately DQ the firm you actually wanted to work with.

GTFO with your ethics and whatnot. That don't fly when you're a Dem slangin' kickbacks patronage to your cronies.
Sea Speed
AG
If the folks at the chronicle could literally huff Dora's farts, they would.

https://www.chron.com/food/amp/Lina-Hidalgo-How-Houston-eats-vegan-diet-snacks-17067175.php
Sea Speed
AG
Also someone on this board saw her buying something from the seafood counter at heb a couple of years back.
maroon barchetta
Sea Speed said:

If the folks at the chronicle could literally huff Dora's farts, they would.

https://www.chron.com/food/amp/Lina-Hidalgo-How-Houston-eats-vegan-diet-snacks-17067175.php

I saw that when I looked at chron for a moment over the weekend.

Just ridiculous.
aTm2004
AG
Sea Speed said:

Also someone on this board saw her buying something from the seafood counter at heb a couple of years back.

Seems the county needs to do a poop test to see if she's lying about being vegan.
aTm2004
AG
Boom

Beerosch
AG
Who was indicted?
atmtws
AG
https://fox26houston.com/news/harris-co-judge-lina-hidalgos-chief-of-staff-2-former-staff-members-indicted
CFTXAG10
AG

Quote:

Court records show indictments for tampering with record and misuse of official information against Chief of Staff Alex Triantaphyllis, Wallis Nader and Aaron Dunn.
Staffers: "What do we do?"
Lina: "Computer blue!"

TexAg91
AG
Beerosch said:

Who was indicted?
Chief of Staff Alex Triantaphyllis along with former staff members Wallis Nader and Aaron Dunn

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.