Houston
Sponsored by

Swiper swiping Dora's territory - Staff Edit 6/17/22 & 6/18/22

184,743 Views | 1404 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by aTm2004
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm almost certain that this was discussed on this board because I remember that plan as well as the exorbitant cost.
bigjag19
AG
This is how we end up here.
maroon barchetta
Eleventy-billion
jetch17
AG
AlaskanAg99
AG
Storm water tunnels I believe we're discussed during the I10 rebuild of 20 years ago, when they could be open trenches and the freeway built over it.

That was determined to be too expensive.

The Now-Solution is to use tunnel boring machines deeper to avoid existing subsurface infrastructure when the water table is 6 inches below the surface?

That's a brilliant cost-effective idea.
aTm '99
Jock 07
AG
Yea the water table was my first thought as the major limfac in all of this
CDUB98
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

Storm water tunnels I believe we're discussed during the I10 rebuild of 20 years ago, when they could be open trenches and the freeway built over it.

The Now-Solution is to use tunnel boring machines deeper to avoid existing subsurface infrastructure when the water table is 6 inches below the surface?

Correct.

There's ways around the water table if they actually wanted to do it. It just adds to the cost.
bigjag19
AG
CDUB98 said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

Correct.

There's ways around the water table if they actually wanted to do it. It just adds to the cost.

Such as…
maroon barchetta
How is the soil type down at the depths these tunnels would be constructed? Could it support such a project without caving in and turning Houston into Atlantis? Or Kingwood?

And has anyone asked the Gulf to promise to not send water back up the tunnels towards the city?
CDUB98
AG
maroon barchetta said:

How is the soil type down at the depths these tunnels would be constructed? Could it support such a project without caving in and turning Houston into Atlantis? Or Kingwood?

And has anyone asked the Gulf to promise to not send water back up the tunnels towards the city?

Again, you do realize there are ways around all of this, right?
spider96
AG
maroon barchetta said:

With renewable energy providing free power for the pumps we'd have nothing to worry about. Lina's got a no bid contract already set up to solve this crisis.
Jack Klompus
AG
The current plan's cost is around $30 billion in today's dollars. The issue is how to get the benefit-cost ratio above 1. FEMA recently modified their scoring to include social benefits, or the more proper term is comprehensive benefits. Meaning the dems are now cooking the books in the name of equity.

Even if the feds pay for it, the local share will be $10 billion. Where will that money come from? You guessed it...the taxpayers. At some point, Harris County is not going to be able to borrow any more money. $10 billion here, $2.5 billion there, $1.2 billion over there. It all has to come from somewhere. There is a notion that the state could provide the local match of $10 billion, but that remains to be seen if the legislature will allocate that much to serve 1 county through the Flood Infrastructure Fund.

Another challenge will be the quality of the water that remains in the tunnels and the effects that water will have on the ecosystem along the Houston Ship Channel and in Galveston Bay. The water will have a low dissolved oxygen content, which will be harmful to the ecosystems. Also, the velocity of the water coming out of the tunnels will cause issues on the currents for ships and boats in the Houston Ship Channel. I think the County is underestimating the influence that Port Houston has in the region, state, and country.

The tunnels remain on the table, but I am not sure if the political will is there to take on that much debt. Or if the state can come up with $10 billion from the Flood Infrastructure Fund.
CDUB98
AG
Quote:

Also, the velocity of the water coming out of the tunnels will cause issues on the currents for ships and boats in the Houston Ship Channel.

This is the only question mark I have with your post. These tunnels are way below sea level. The water will have to be pumped out. I doubt it would affect the ship channel that much. The surface water runoff has a much greater effect right now.
Jack Klompus
AG
CDUB98 said:

Quote:

Also, the velocity of the water coming out of the tunnels will cause issues on the currents for ships and boats in the Houston Ship Channel.

This is the only question mark I have with your post. These tunnels are way below sea level. The water will have to be pumped out. I doubt it would affect the ship channel that much. The surface water runoff has a much greater effect right now.
Maybe I should reword this...this phenomenon hasn't been studied to date, and the Port is concerned about it.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Tunnels was the answer the whole time y'all.

You just didn't know it.

We gonna dig some tunnels and send all that extra water right into the ocean.

We bout to be high and dry baby!

Outstanding work!
she truly is Dora the Explorer
jetch17
AG
She posted running around Seattle in the last week too with some posed pics from her handler.

workin real hard.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Ike Dike or Tunnels

That's where we are at.
aTm '99
CDUB98
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

Ike Dike or Tunnels

That's where we are at.

Two distinctively different things and different purposes. Not an "or."
AlaskanAg99
AG
CDUB98 said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

Ike Dike or Tunnels

That's where we are at.

There's only 1 source of revenue to pay for this. Thus it's an 'Or'.
aTm '99
jetch17
AG
https://instagr.am/p/Cl7SXxovkVT

https://instagr.am/p/CmB1M3DAS7w

https://instagr.am/p/CmB10iTA2N6
CDUB98
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

CDUB98 said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

Ike Dike or Tunnels

That's where we are at.

The Ike Dike is in a different county. Not part of Harris. It also has a strong Federal component to it due to navigable waters.
Diggity
AG

this is Dora's "getting things done" face. No time to show teeth...we got ****ing work to do
ChemAg15
AG
You can tell she made them take that picture over and over until she was looking juuuuust right because the guy behind her is over her **** and quit posing.
Jack Klompus
AG
CDUB98 said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

CDUB98 said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

Ike Dike or Tunnels

That's where we are at.

The Ike Dike is in a different county. Not part of Harris. It also has a strong Federal component to it due to navigable waters.
This is somewhat correct. There are 2 distinctly different local sponsors in USACE/Federal speak for the 2 projects. The Gulf Coast Protection District would be the local sponsor of the Ike Dike/Coastal Texas/whatever you want to call it. Harris County Flood Control District would be the local sponsor of the tunnel project.

Currently, the Gulf Coast Protection District has taxing authority, but they would have to have an election to approve levying a tax. I think this covers a 13-county region, and there is uncertainty if there is consensus among all counties if a tax would pass to pay for the local match of the Ike Dike. That is why the GCPD is looking toward the state since the Port/Ship Channel has so much statewide economic impact. The Ike Dike has been included in the regional flood plan with Texas Water Development Board which would allow for state Flood Infrastructure Fund money to be allocated toward it.

HCFCD would also have an election to pass a bond for the tunnels. I am unsure if the tunnels were included in the regional flood plan or not.

Both projects are $30 billion each in today's dollars, and about 30% of each of those would have to come from the respective local sponsors, either in the form of tax/bond or funding from the state.
CDUB98
AG
ChemAg15 said:

You can tell she made them take that picture over and over until she was looking juuuuust right because the guy behind her is over her **** and quit posing.

Yeah, that guy has a, "why am I here," look.
CDUB98
AG
You're obviously way more plugged in to this than I am. Due to company changes, I lost my inside info a couple of years ago.

One question. I thought the Ike Dike was looking to be around a $72B project?
Stat Monitor Repairman
She rockin' those composite toe XtraTuffs.

Good call. Respect to her handler on that.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Quote:

Thunder river is back baby!
AlaskanAg99
AG
I'm sure it would be Army Corpse of Engineers project.

They have a decades long backlog of national projects.

In the end, theres only 1 funding source the taxpayers.
aTm '99
Jack Klompus
AG
CDUB98 said:

You're obviously way more plugged in to this than I am. Due to company changes, I lost my inside info a couple of years ago.

One question. I thought the Ike Dike was looking to be around a $72B project?
It's been revised. Here is an interactive story map from the Corps which describes its components and costs.
Coastal Texas Hub (arcgis.com)
Ciboag96
Dora looks primed up to tunnel under a dike
Ryan the Temp
AG
https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/harriscountytx/jobs/3835619/chief-of-staff
Quote:

Chief of Staff

Position Description
About The Harris County Judge:
Led by Judge Lina Hidalgo, Harris County is transforming the way we do government and in so doing is seeking an experienced, dynamic, and motivated professional to join our team. The County Judge functions as the CEO of Harris County and presides over the Harris County Commissioner's Court, the County's governing body. Along with four County Commissioners, the County Judge directs a budget of more than $4 billion providing essential services such as justice administration, flood control, infrastructure, and housing. Harris County is the third largest and most diverse county in the nation, with a population of more than 4.5 million people.

Chief of Staff Overview:
The Chief of Staff will work closely with Judge Hidalgo to manage the activities of the County Judge's Office (CJO), support the work of the County Judge, and liaise with other County departments and offices as needed to execute the successful implementation of key priorities and initiatives. The Chief of Staff will oversee staff to carry out duties that are of critical importance to the Office.
Jack Klompus
AG
Did you submit your resume? I'm sure you check a couple of the required boxes.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Jack Klompus said:

Did you submit your resume? I'm sure you check a couple of the required boxes.
Oh **** no.
ChemAg15
AG
*Straight white males need not apply*

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.