Houston
Sponsored by

Swiper swiping Dora's territory - Staff Edit 6/17/22 & 6/18/22

184,335 Views | 1404 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by aTm2004
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Saw a couple of Beto signs on Morningside near Rice Village this morning. Not nearly as many as last time in that area.

Didn't see any Dora signs anywhere.

Saw some Mealer signs on San Felipe in River Oaks.

Overall it's a lot less of a yard sign campaign year in those areas.
tamuags08
AG
I'd put a mealer sign in my front yard. But not donating to any campaign and don't want on any mailing/text list.
AlaskanAg99
AG
tamuags08 said:

I'd put a mealer sign in my front yard. But not donating to any campaign and don't want on any mailing/text list.

I get texts from both parties.

Never donated a dime to anyone.
rangerdanger
AG
Saw Mattress Mack slotted in a Mealer ad at the end of MNF. Has he done something like that before?
AlaskanAg99
AG
For those not watching another thread.
Tomorrow 2pm a special commissioners court meeting over budget and taxes. All 5 will appear.

If it goes well, a Tuesday Tax Hearing.
File5
AG
What would "goes well" entail in this case?
Stat Monitor Repairman
rangerdanger said:

Saw Mattress Mack slotted in a Mealer ad at the end of MNF. Has he done something like that before?
Best thing Mac ever did was go around to schools and put on anti drug programs and stuff like that.

If Mattress Mac came to your school, you love Mattress Mac.

Mac got to be one of the most influential people in Houston.

Ain't nobody don't like Mac.

So if you Lina Hidalgo and Matress Mac going against you,

That ain't a good sign.
AlaskanAg99
AG
File5 said:

What would "goes well" entail in this case?

A compromise. But it's a pretty complex question. Depending on where you are on the political spectrum really defines how that plays out.

I try to not let my bias influence my posts, and I realize I fail often. At the end of thebday the costs of doing the same business as last year requires an increase of taxing. However What they spend on is up to much debate.
ChemAg15
AG
Shouldn't the rise in property values cover the increased cost of doing business?
CDUB98
AG
ChemAg15 said:

Shouldn't the rise in property values cover the increased cost of doing business?

Umm, taxes are never high enough for progressives. They always want more money for their pet projects.
AlaskanAg99
AG
ChemAg15 said:

Not at the no new revenue rate.

It would if the tax rate stayed the same, but due to VARS law, it can't remain the same. If you change the tax rate it must be voted on.
spider96
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

ChemAg15 said:

Not at the no new revenue rate.

It would if the tax rate stayed the same, but due to VARS law, it can't remain the same. If you change the tax rate it must be voted on.
I heard one of the Republican commissioners giving an interview on the morning radio stations. He said that Harris County will get some $70 million more in revenue just from appraisals going up. Lina wants $180 million more on top of that.
CDUB98
AG
Yup.

1) They are trying to make up some the budget shortfall after their dumbassery of creating recurring annual expenditures with the Fed government's one time relief checks, and
2) Need more money to hand out to their cronies for kickbacks, and
3) Need more money for their special, pet social projects, which also lead to back to cronies and kickbacks
TarponChaser
Ryan the Temp said:

I am sick of consolation prize hires at the county and city level. I actually thought about applying for the elections admin position because I really like helping government function in an effective, nonpartisan way, but decided I'd rather spend my time being a professional musician.

So you're professionally unemployed?
Diggity
AG
Harry Lime said:

I've only seen Lina signs in my hood in the yards that already had Beto and/or Leslie Briones signs.

Mostly the same houses that had "in this house" signs during the 2 years of the epipandemic, and then Ukraine flags before it was time to gear up for the midterms.
we are awash in Beto signs. I don't get it.
DustysLineup
AG
Having younger families in the hood again is good. Unfortunately, the cool Spicy Ketchup signs seem to come with them.
Diggity
AG
you know the old saying: "Anyone who is not a republican at twenty casts doubt on the generosity of his soul; but he who, after thirty years, perseveres, casts doubt on the soundness of his mind."
AlaskanAg99
AG
https://comptroller.texas.gov/taxes/property-tax/truth-in-taxation/calculations.php#:~:text=The%20no%2Dnew%2Drevenue%20tax%20rate%20enables%20the%20public%20to,properties%20taxed%20in%20both%20years.&text=To%20do%20this%2C%20several%20adjustments%20must%20be%20made.

Maybe I don't quite fully understand. I would figured taxes revenue would have gone up due to new property that's been improved within the tax year.

So that the individual isn't paying more but overall revenue would have gone up simply due to new tax payers. Thus the county is receiving more but also servicing more people. However new construction carries far less maintenance funding.
DustysLineup
AG
Al Bula
AG
For the 1,000th post in this thread:

Ryan the Temp
AG
TarponChaser said:

Ryan the Temp said:

I am sick of consolation prize hires at the county and city level. I actually thought about applying for the elections admin position because I really like helping government function in an effective, nonpartisan way, but decided I'd rather spend my time being a professional musician.

Like most musicians, I have non-music income.
RK
AG
[/insert organ joke here]
aTm2004
AG
Ryan the Temp said:

TarponChaser said:

Ryan the Temp said:

And don't let anyone tell you that onlyfans isn't a real job.
schmellba99
AG
CDUB98 said:

ChemAg15 said:

Umm, taxes are never high enough for progressives. They always want more money for their pet projects.
This is the answer.

Ever notice, and it's even on this thread, that actual spending reduction is never discussed? Only how much taxes need to increase.
TarponChaser
schmellba99 said:

CDUB98 said:

ChemAg15 said:

This is the answer.

Ever notice, and it's even on this thread, that actual spending reduction is never discussed? Only how much taxes need to increase.

For the record, and I'm pretty sure it's on this thread, I did mention that we need to cut a ton of BS spending and all the disingenuous whining from Dora was the "firemen first" fallacy.
AlaskanAg99
AG
https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/lina-hidalgo-harris-county-commissioners-court-17514688.php

Over the special meeting on Monday.

"Cagle and Ramsey's absences have stalled the 2023 county budget proposed by the three Democrat commissioners. State law requires four members of the court to be present in order to vote on the county tax rate and annual budget. If a new budget and tax rate are not approved by October 28, the county will adopt a "no new revenue" budget. In the case of a "no new budget" scenario, the county will collect the same sum of tax revenue levied in the previous year plus revenue from properties added to county rolls in 2022, the latter being taxed at the 2021 rate."
Irish 2.0
AlaskanAg99 said:

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/lina-hidalgo-harris-county-commissioners-court-17514688.php

Over the special meeting on Monday.

"Cagle and Ramsey's absences have stalled the 2023 county budget proposed by the three Democrat commissioners. State law requires four members of the court to be present in order to vote on the county tax rate and annual budget. If a new budget and tax rate are not approved by October 28, the county will adopt a "no new revenue" budget. In the case of a "no new budget" scenario, the county will collect the same sum of tax revenue levied in the previous year plus revenue from properties added to county rolls in 2022, the latter being taxed at the 2021 rate."
I call this an absolute win!
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Take 2 minutes and watch this:

I detest that see you next tuesday
htxag09
AG
Mealer must feel like she's arguing with one of her kids when talking to Dora....
Irish 2.0
Jeezus her voice is cringe and she's swinging around in that chair like a little toddler.
Diggity
AG
was she crying?
bigjag19
AG
Tears of reality.
jetch17
AG
the hiccup of upset at the end was lol'able
Ryan the Temp
AG
aTm2004 said:

Ryan the Temp said:

TarponChaser said:

Ryan the Temp said:

And don't let anyone tell you that onlyfans isn't a real job.
No one wants to se this naked.
swimmerbabe11
that was painful to watch...and probably the future of political debates.

I'd late to go to the good old days of dueling on the senate floor, at least they were articulate.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.