Metroplex
Sponsored by

Winter Storm Thread

132,338 Views | 1272 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by Decay
bqce
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just make sure they're wearing their ski outfits - they'll be fine.
bagger05
AG
Drove from Dallas to Terrell. Roads were fine.
fc2112
Icicles around house are up to about a foot long now. Went out and knocked down the ones over the porches and garage. Those suckers wood hurt someone.
planoaggie123
AG
Ahhh maybe we dont in Plano. My kids are just 1st and 3rd.

My dad was in charge of buses for our smaller ISD growing up and he did a lot of delayed openings but it was a smaller ISD...

I would be 100% ok with full day of school tomorrow....they need it...parents need it....
dgb99
AG
I have a junior and an 8th grader in Plano and I don't recall ever having delayed opening. I seem to remember a teacher friend saying they will 'never' do it (possibly because of the staggered bus schedule as someone mentioned). But if there was ever a day for a delayed opening, it might be tomorrow.

The melt is happening but our neighborhood streets have a good inch or two of ice all the way across still. Hopefully some folks start driving on them this afternoon and help things out a bit.
planoaggie123
AG
I am quasi near Target at Tollway / Park....i am strongly considering getting out here in a minute...just to get out of the house...our driveway is clear in back (thanks to me) and the roads in front of house look ok....
DonaldFDraper
AG
Yeah. We were on the runway on schedule, a slight delay for deicing but made up the time in the air.
rebag00
AG
38F on my back porch in East Dallas now. Lots of melting. My street is 95% clear, but the sidewalks and driveways aren't great yet.
ETA - school is on for us tomorrow (not DISD).
ChoppinDs40
AG
very nice lucky you - skiing or mexico?!
Texker
AG
Kids graduated in PISD. I don't recall delayed starts either. I went to Richardson schools and we had delayed starts fairly often.
AgsWin2011
AG
Definitely looks like people will begin to resume normal daily activities by tomorrow (maybe delayed start). Ice has started to melt at a rapid pace at our house west/southwest of Denton. Dipping into the 20s tonight won't help, but it's supposed to be in the 40s tomorrow and 60s by Sunday.
riverrataggie
AG
Roads should be fairly dried up tomorrow morning, even with forecasted rain, if it plows through like it's supposed to it should actually help conditions versus this slow thaw.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Icicles just all fell right after I walked under them to get to the grill

Edit wrong emoji
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Daughter's school is canceled tomorrow in Prosper again. WTF!?
planoaggie123
AG
PrestigeWorldwideAg12 said:

Daughter's school is canceled tomorrow in Prosper again. WTF!?

Plano to decide in AM. They have a lengthy Twitter thread that, in my opinion, is setting up for why they will cancel.
Coates
Arlington isd is closed tomorrow, Dallas delayed 2 hours, plano and richardson probably waiting until tomorrow morning.
East Dallas Ag
AG
Prosper ISD sent a long email saying they are waiting until 9pm tonight to make the call, but laid the groundwork for cancelling altogether.
planoaggie123
AG
Like plano.

"You don't want people dying do you? We have seniors who drive cars and they will all run off the road"
DannyDuberstein
AG
Pretty much a can't win. Someone is going to be unhappy. Just gotta roll with it. I agree with them that no call either way can be made this evening (if delayed starts aren't an option)
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
This is the wording on the email:

"We know the roads are most likely drivable in your neighborhoods right now. Please remember that PCA has students and parents driving to our campuses from a variety of areas throughout the metroplex. Safety is our number one concern."

I understand BUT DAMMIT.. Son's preschool is staying closed too. Going to have to work at The Gin or something.
riverrataggie
AG
Disd two hour delay. Wtf.
AgsWin2011
AG
Never going to please everyone, especially not crazy parents (not calling anyone out here, my wife's a teacher and I've seen/heard crazy parents first hand).

If I were making the decision for a school district I would just assume there are going to be some pissed off crazy Karen's and make a smart honest decision. If someone doesn't like it… well they can deal with it.
Scriffer
AG
The RISD super when I was in high school was originally from Minnesota. Literally every school district in the area would be closed except us.

Also just got a maybe-we-will maybe-we-won't email from my kids' school. Not looking great from an Admin perspective even though it should me fine.
ChoppinDs40
AG

"We know the roads are most likely drivable in your neighborhoods right now. Please remember that PCA has students and parents driving to our campuses from a variety of areas throughout the metroplex. Safety is our number one concern."

I understand BUT DAMMIT.. Son's preschool is staying closed too. Going to have to work at The Gin or something.
Prestonwood? oh boy.

and The Gin? Oh boy,

New F150 Tremor? Oh Boy.

You've got Light Farms written on your forehead :P
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
No… you forget I'm in your hood
ChoppinDs40
AG
that's right - yall moved in this last year... weren't you in Light Farms?

I say this in jest. I also have an F150, my kid also goes to day care, and I also enjoy The Gin.
YouBet
AG
I got out this evening to go eat. Wife is out of town so I've been holed up for 3 days working and growing a nice beard.

Roads and parking lots are fine in north Dallas. Totally melted. I know that will degrade over night some.

Restaurant I'm at is actually pretty busy.
duck79
AG
Woah we got another in the hood???
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Lilyana.

We are over here near the school. Lol yea and you got the new "Jeep"
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Yessir!

Near the elementary
duck79
AG
Principal at PCA lives in ST too. He's my neighbor, I can tell him you really need the school open
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Kristen Williams?
East Dallas Ag
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

Prestonwood? oh boy.

and The Gin? Oh boy,

New F150 Tremor? Oh Boy.

You've got Light Farms written on your forehead :P

Wrong. We work from The Nook so we can drive our golf carts home.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
I'm tempted to drive my golf cart over to The Gin
duck79
AG
Greg. Middle and Upper School.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.