Metroplex
Sponsored by

Winter Storm Thread

123,559 Views | 1272 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Decay
Robert C. Christian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Coates said:

YouBet said:

Ag CPA said:

WTF is going on with SWA at Love this morning, lines in the news reports are crazy. I remember when they used to thrive in situations like this 15-20 years ago, things have changed.

Cancelled half of flights yesterday and 60% today. It's a disaster.

Saw on Twitter a video that 90% of southwest flights leaving Phoenix were cancelled today and that they can't get anyone out for 4 days. Unreal, I flew them for years until 7 of 8 flights last year were cancelled or delayed significantly.

No airline is perfect, but American has been great this year.

Just saw that SWA canceled 66% off all their flights today. Videos out of Denver, Oakland, Phoenix, and Houston of piled up bags and massive lines. Good luck to anyone having to deal with this. Absolutely sucks.
wangus12
AG
My wife works for SWA. Its been an epic disaster. They need to bring a lot of their flight organization systems up to speed with better technology. They are operating using some very old systems that are very out of date.
91AggieLawyer
AG
My SIL and nephew got stuck in Baltimore. Were supposed to fly out Christmas day (yeah, not a good idea on their part in general, and weather didn't help) but everything got nixed. They were supposed to go from BLT to Lubbock through Dallas -- it was the Dallas to Lubbock part that got cancelled. But their ticket to Dallas got fouled up somehow. Long story short, they had my niece drive them to DC where they caught an AA flight here through Chattanooga, and she's going to hitch a ride to Lubbock and he's going to fly home to Austin today instead of going to Lubbock as planned.

I don't think either one are going SWA anytime the rest of this decade!
wbt5845
AG
So is the problem with SWA that they fly so much point to point instead of hubs? So, let's say an aircraft is going Charlotte to Chicago to DFW to Denver - it just takes snow in Chicago to screw up four flights. Whereas in a hub system like AA has, just cancel the DFW to Chicago and move on?
Ag CPA
AG
My buddies at SWA say it's a tech problem, primarily an ancient crew scheduling system that basically shut down over the weekend.

Bob Jordan has a CS degree from A&M so you think that he would have been on top of this years ago.
YouBet
AG
Ag CPA said:

My buddies at SWA say it's a tech problem, primarily an ancient crew scheduling system that basically shut down over the weekend.

Bob Jordan has a CS degree from A&M so you think that he would have been on top of this years ago.
He's been leading areas that had nothing to do with IT nor Operations for the last several years.

He did swap out the COO about a month ago.
planoaggie123
AG
planoaggie123 said:

After 2 days of going good had to shut down pool yesterday. Two issues.

1) Filter for fountain pump had a leak at the gauge and was spewing water.

2) water going to waste when filter running so pretty sure that is a frozen gasket / o-ring issue on main pool filter valve.

After these harsh storms I am only confident in one thing…there is no guarantee other than a full northern style shut down. I have had damage on different parts of pool every time (both shutting down and running).

Pools are just exhausting.

Well I replaced o-rings on my push/pull valve and we are good to go (I think) on my main pump/pool filter. I used water to prime so it's hard to check for small trickles on pump but cautiously optimistic issue #2 is ok.

I ordered gauge and new rings for fountain filter. Hoping to fix issue #1 on own next week maybe. We will see. I can do some stuff but not an expert if it gets tricky.
Texker
AG
Curious where your equipment is located. Mine is in a corner protected to the north and west by a fence. I think that has helped protect the equipment somewhat.
planoaggie123
AG
Mine is on a west facing wall of our house with wood fence on 2 sides.

So the equipment is brick wall to east; wood to west; and wood to north. Exposed / entrance from south.
planoaggie123
AG
Replaced the drain plug and the entire pressure gauge assembly on my fountain filter and everything is running good. In total about $60 in parts...free labor

YouBet
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Mine is on a west facing wall of our house with wood fence on 2 sides.

So the equipment is brick wall to east; wood to west; and wood to north. Exposed / entrance from south.

Exact footprint we have. Really makes you think.
FTAG 2000
AG
Bunch of slackers. No posts about tomorrow (1/24)?
ftworthag02
AG
Hincemm
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

death and chaos. see u tomorrow.
planoaggie123
AG
ready for winter to be over.....keep an eye on storm2K forums...they are trying to predict another harsh burst down the road....this one seems to be at most a nice little snow event with (hopefully) minimal negative impacts...
wangus12
AG
Sounds like a cold run tomorrow
riverrataggie
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

I doubt many are worried about this event. Just gonna be wet and nasty.
YouBet
AG
Left town today. Turned off sprinklers in back yard.

Forgot to turn off sprinklers in front yard.
FincAg
AG
Our averages for this time of year are 50s/30s, a small cold snap in the 40s, lows still in the 30s, isn't going to do anything other than make me add a hat when walking the dog.

I'm grateful for any precipitation this time of year. Still running our sprinklers Thursday and Sundays at 4am.
ftworthag02
AG
Snow south side fw
Spaceship
AG
Been snowing hard in Flower Mound for the past 30 minutes.
FTAG 2000
AG
Big flakes in Prosper for a good hour now
FTAG 2000
AG
Everyone got their ice skates ready for Tuesday?
riverrataggie
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

Everyone got their ice skates ready for Tuesday?

Why?
Ag CPA
AG
Forecast is starting to deteriorate; temps will stay around freezing and freezing rain and accumulation chances went up.
riverrataggie
AG
Maybe the weather app hasn't updated. I'm still seeing 34 high, 30-32 as low. Lots of rain, but I'd rather it just freeze and snow.

Nothing worse than near freezing wet rain.
FTAG 2000
AG
The models are all coming into agreement on heavy precipitation from Monday evening through Thursday, with Tuesday staying below freezing the whole day.

The NWS seems slow to respond so far with their forecast. Feel like this is going to catch folks by surprise if they don't update soon (assuming models verify).
Coates
FTAG 2000 said:

The models are all coming into agreement on heavy precipitation from Monday evening through Thursday, with Tuesday staying below freezing the whole day.

The NWS seems slow to respond so far with their forecast. Feel like this is going to catch folks by surprise if they don't update soon (assuming models verify).

I'm sure people will freak out as usual over a few ice patches on bridges.
fka ftc
This has been posted in previous weather threads and includes lots of forecasting and guessing. Believe there may be some folks around here who post/ follow there. Always an in testing read:

http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=122811&start=4900
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
FTAG 2000
AG
We are already way colder today than forecast. Freezing rain on radar north and west of metroplex this morning.

Traditionally when this happens, it means our dfw weather talking heads are behind and it's going to surprise.
fka ftc
The storm2k guys tend to be way ahead and way more dialed in.

I had half cord of wood delivered yesterday. Will stay warm and enjoy a couple of days with movies and a fire. Not worried about school, they can remote if needed or simply do nothing which according to my kid he doesn't learn anything at school.
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
FTAG 2000
AG
fka ftc said:

The storm2k guys tend to be way ahead and way more dialed in.

I had half cord of wood delivered yesterday. Will stay warm and enjoy a couple of days with movies and a fire. Not worried about school, they can remote if needed or simply do nothing which according to my kid he doesn't learn anything at school.

Agreed. NWS relies on the euro and GFS models so much and those do poorly with these blasts that ride down the Rockies front range, like this one.

They finally at noon just updated for today dropping the high to 40 from 60. Friday forecast they had a high of 60 on Tuesday.

This system is way ahead of the lower temps than the NWS.
FTAG 2000
AG
NWS FTW says they will be issuing a winter storm watch shortly.

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=FWD&issuedby=FWD&product=AFD&format=ci&version=1&glossary=1
mAgnoliAg
AG
And there it is winter storm watch just came through.
Ag CPA
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

We are already way colder today than forecast. Freezing rain on radar north and west of metroplex this morning.

Traditionally when this happens, it means our dfw weather talking heads are behind and it's going to surprise.
This is what I don't get. I am confident that guys like Finfrock, Delkus and Rick Mitchell can see this coming as well; is it that they don't want to get out in front of the NWS?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.