Metroplex
Sponsored by

Winter Storm Thread

123,563 Views | 1272 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Decay
riverrataggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DISD just closed. I guess the weather is supposed to be to nice today?
Pabby
AG
Anyone been out on the roads today? News makes the highways seem like a mess.
riverrataggie
AG
Our side streets over here in East Dallas are fine. My outside thermometer showed it only dropped to 31.

Nothing refroze. This is a huge farce.

Be prepared for them to closing schools next week.
wangus12
AG
Bridges were alright coming down 75. Way more traffic today obviously. Vast differences in speed by people. Several people driving 20 mph while most going 65-75.

Still some ice on side streets in Dallas
Danny Vermin
I'm not going out until at least 10. I've been watching all the news stations there's not one highway in the metroplex without a major wreck.
FincAg
AG
Danny Vermin said:

I'm not going out until at least 10. I've been watching all the news stations there's not one highway in the metroplex without a major wreck.

No kidding. Not just accidents, some highways are completely closed until they can get multi car pileups and 18 wheelers towed away.
ChoppinDs40
AG
So maybe cancelling schools was a good idea?
Scriffer
AG
My street seemed like it would never the and it's perfectly fine this morning. Confusing that the highways are so bad today if they've been treated and drivable all week.
riverrataggie
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

So maybe cancelling schools was a good idea?

Horrible idea.
wangus12
AG
I think it's because you have so many people out today and it only takes one car to hit a small patch of ice to cause a big pile up. The last couple of days there hasn't been enough people on the road for that to happen
Yesterday
AG
wangus12 said:

I think it's because you have so many people out today and it only takes one car to hit a small patch of ice to cause a big pile up. The last couple of days there hasn't been enough people on the road for that to happen

This! I've been driving on this crap since Monday. The difference in speed is killer. When everyone is doing 30 on ice it's ok. When you have someone just getting out there and hitting their brakes on a perfectly fine overpass when everyone behind them is doing 70 it creates problems.
Danny Vermin
Why are you dying on this hill? It was absolutely the right choice to close schools again . It's a weird flex, dude.
fc2112
I just went running in south Arlington. All the roads - neighborhoods, main roads, are a solid sheet of ice.
riverrataggie
AG
Not flexing. Not every district is the same. I said that prior. DISD did a two hour delay announce. That was fine. But then close? Made no sense.

Fort Worth and NW of dfw had it much worse. I get that. They can do them. But don't lump every district together. Disd closing was a horrible idea.
aggiespartan
AG
I just took the dog to school in Carrollton. Our alley is still pretty bad. All of the little roads still have ice. Marsh had some slick spots. For now, everyone is going slow, but I'm sure that's going to change pretty quickly. Hopefully it melts before anyone causes an accident.
ChoppinDs40
AG
They close schools because of roads for buses. If you can't get a bus to an area and back safely, they close them.

As it would appear this morning, you can't travel in these conditions safely or expect to arrive on time.
FTAG 2000
AG
riverrataggie said:

Our side streets over here in East Dallas are fine. My outside thermometer showed it only dropped to 31.

Nothing refroze. This is a huge farce.

Be prepared for them to closing schools next week.

It's not going to be closed next week. Simmer down. Not a day with freezing temps after tomorrow morning.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Gotta have teachers to have school and they don't all live in the neighborhood. Lots of highway **** shows out there
oldag941
AG
I live in LH and our thermometer says 28 at 8am. Watching the news, 75 is shut down heading south, 35E is ice over the Trinity. When the highways are having ice problems, I'm sure the secondary and neighborhood roads are not safely or timely passable by bus.
riverrataggie
AG
I still think they shot their wad early. And with Danny's point, a good one, I could see how a bunch of teachers called in and said f that. And thus domino effect.

Overall the whole we are opening delayed to then this morning getting closure notice was horribly planned. They should have just called it last night if there was a chance of closure. Now parents are scrambling.

More pissed / annoyed at the handling of said event versus event itself. But welcome to DISD. Another day of Bloody Mary's
Danny Vermin
Dallas fire and rescue saying 175 wrecks have been responded to. That's just Dallas and I'm sure Ft.Worth is worse.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Danny Vermin said:

Dallas fire and rescue saying 175 wrecks have been responded to. That's just Dallas and I'm sure Ft.Worth is worse.

Crazy. Schools made the right call. It will be nice the rest of the day, but when transpo for school needed to be happening - **** show. One of those tricky "hey, everything is fine, it only got to 30 at my house and this road seems perfectly good, holy **** black ice!" situations early today
Yesterday
AG
Schools closed in hopes Texas gives them a pass for make up days. Just drove all over Southlake. There's not a single road in question and this is the exact time my kids get picked up for school.

Guess who is open. Our youngest daycare that would have been forced to give refunds. Again, money always talks. And parents get the shaft.

Anyhow. Hope this is the last of it. I'm lucky enough I can take my kids with me to work.
AvsB
Don't really care one way or the other about schools closed on Friday, but I think the ISD's that originally started with a 2-hour delay then changed to fully closed got an ear full of "karens and chads" on their socials. I know LISD did. Originally made the 2 hour delay in the afternoon and then late last night changed to fully closed.

falconace
ChoppinDs40 said:

falconace said:

They have to be registered as an nev. No registration, they are basically golf carts. The dps was confused at first as well when I registered it.

I had no idea so many of us were up here. We should do a texags meet up at the gin. I'll drive the nev there.

I'll be damned. https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/unique-vehicles

Special insurance you have to get on that thing?

Saddle Creek to Kroger is an easy little jaunt. We're a bit far over here in ST.
Nothing different than the insurance you'd normally have on a golf cart (assuming you'd put your golf cart under your umbrella, etc.).

I try to avoid drives that even if legal would be pretty dangerous. I cut through neighborhoods pretty often. I wouldn't drive it from ST to Kroger. I'm not on Prosper Trail for long when I drive to Kroger since the neighborhood entrance is right there. I don't drive up or down the hill on Prosper Trail between Preston and Coleman so I cut through Wildwood or Tanner's Mill to get to Coleman to go to the gin. We drive to some friends that are off of Coit between Prosper Trail and Frontier but I can get there through neighborhoods and don't have to drive on Prosper Trail. We mainly drive it to/from Frontier park for kids sports.
ChoppinDs40
AG
pretty sure I've seen you then, lol. Is it one of the limo ones (2 rows of seats) that's black? Saw a golf cart cruising down Prosper Trail one day, crossing over Preston, lol.

The amount of golf cart envy has gotten stupid out here in ST. It's like one person got one and then a month later there's 50.

Maybe if they were $5k but I just can't fathom spending like $15k one something to cruise around the neighborhood. Guess I'm LoLpoorz... don't have that Saddle Creek monies!
ChoppinDs40
AG
how is the Nook these days? I would never be allowed in there from fear of being noticed after getting ****canned.
BTHOB
AG
FYI- roads in SW Fort Worth are still ice rinks. Worse this morning than yesterday, in my opinion. Especially side streets/neighborhoods. Be careful out there!
falconace
Yep... that was me!

Its crazy. We have a friend in Light Farms that bought one for $16k. It is insane. I paid $500 for mine, no way I would have paid what others are paying.

Back in 09 Obama pushed for an EV tax credit. My uncle in Louisiana figured out he could buy a properly equipped golf cart and it would qualify for the tax credit and he could get some of his money back from the government. He bought the NEV for $8k and got a $7500 tax credit if I remember correctly. Several years ago, he sold it to my dad in Houston for $500. Last year, my dad sold it to me for $500.
Yesterday
AG
falconace said:

Yep... that was me!

Its crazy. We have a friend in Light Farms that bought one for $16k. It is insane. I paid $500 for mine, no way I would have paid what others are paying.

Back in 09 Obama pushed for an EV tax credit. My uncle in Louisiana figured out he could buy a properly equipped golf cart and it would qualify for the tax credit and he could get some of his money back from the government. He bought the NEV for $8k and got a $7500 tax credit if I remember correctly. Several years ago, he sold it to my dad in Houston for $500. Last year, my dad sold it to me for $500.

Our government at work! Lol
DannyDuberstein
AG
Between the giant live oaks in my yard and my house melting, it's like a blue sky rainstorm is happening at my house
ChoppinDs40
AG
ahh yes, government hustlin'

Of all those requirements, they seem pretty easy outside of emergency brake and turn signals.
FTAG 2000
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

pretty sure I've seen you then, lol. Is it one of the limo ones (2 rows of seats) that's black? Saw a golf cart cruising down Prosper Trail one day, crossing over Preston, lol.

The amount of golf cart envy has gotten stupid out here in ST. It's like one person got one and then a month later there's 50.

Maybe if they were $5k but I just can't fathom spending like $15k one something to cruise around the neighborhood. Guess I'm LoLpoorz... don't have that Saddle Creek monies!

We just purchased. Don't go new, good used market out there.

I got ours for $6K, had everything we needed but seat belts. But those were an easy add for me.

Will be used for Frontier Park kids sports, drop offs to school, and HEB runs when built. Plus around the neighborhood to parks and friends.

It's a lot like cars - they drop in value the moment you roll off the lot.
ChoppinDs40
AG
you're in Light Farms or ST?

I've sheepishly joked about driving ours to HEB some day (both fictional places and items at the moment).

When I had the old jeep, it was way cooler cruising around in it. Now that it's gone, I'd like something else.

There just isn't much use for it in ST now... can't really drive it anywhere.

I've seen people pulling a trailer leaving from Home Depot out near Windsong.

# golfcartlife

I've got a buddy in Lakes of Prosper that bought a limo one - takes his brood to Frontier often.
fka ftc
What is ST?
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.