Metroplex
Sponsored by

Winter Storm Thread

122,372 Views | 1272 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Decay
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think that has to be someone misreading after school activities being canceled tonight
planoaggie123
AG
Absolute said:

planoaggie123 said:

Well it's about time to be a dad and go walk around our property in rain for no good reason…why wait for sunlight in AM when I can do it in rain at night.

You are doing it wrong. Grab an adult beverage. Sit outside. Appear protective. Enjoy the cool weather......

Aside from the leading edge wind (it was a bit intense) this is nothing.

Hoping the power comes back before the stars game.

We need work in that regard…Need better back patio covering. Some day….

I can report that fence is standing. My trash cans are standing. I did have to pick up my neighbors trash cans (2) so I will send him an invoice for that.
aggiesherpa
AG
Where do y'all look at radars at? The wfaa radar online runs consistently 15 minutes behind. Surely there is something that is refreshed more frequently.
drewser95
AG
My WeatherBug app updates every 10 minutes. Last update was 7:15 and it's 7:17 now.
Garrelli 5000
AG
My family sucks. Told me house got hit by a tornado will I'm on vacation.

I'm frantically checking cameras while beer shoots out of my nose.
Take the trash out staff.
Scriffer
AG
I wanna hang out with your family
BIMS O1
AG
Which district will be the first to cancel school tomorrow?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Fannie Luddite
AG
aggiesherpa said:

Where do y'all look at radars at? The wfaa radar online runs consistently 15 minutes behind. Surely there is something that is refreshed more frequently.
NBC has the most up to date - the TV broadcast anyway. Like up to the minute.
FDXAg
AG
Lost part of backyard fence here in NW Fort Worth. Never seen wind like that. 3 posts in a row snapped and lost 3 sections.

Weather station read top gust of 92mph. Sirens were going off and the sound was nuts right before it hit. Guessing was just straight line winds though
Absolute
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

I think that has to be someone misreading after school activities being canceled tonight

Probably. She can be a little over reactive. She won't go back to school til Monday due to the school Nashville trip. Already have been chastised about being not concerned enough about this non storm event that daughter was overreacting about.

Getting pretty tired of the news stations whipping up panic over storms that are just Texas thunderstorms. Don't feel like this happened 20nyears ago. I am all for realistic caution. But give me a fing break. Aside from my power going out (first time ever for this house including snowmagedden). This barely even counts as a storm.
DannyDuberstein
AG
LOL at the trash can race that Fox4 just showed. Probably 20-30 bins cruising down the street. Dumbass was filming in portrait tho
DannyDuberstein
AG
70-80 mph wind is territory that I don't mind them whipping up about.
Fenrir
Absolute said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Probably. She can be a little over reactive. She won't go back to school til Monday due to the school Nashville trip. Already have been chastised about being not concerned enough about this non storm event that daughter was overreacting about.

Getting pretty tired of the news stations whipping up panic over storms that are just Texas thunderstorms. Don't feel like this happened 20nyears ago. I am all for realistic caution. But give me a fing break. Aside from my power going out (first time ever for this house including snowmagedden). This barely even counts as a storm.

Sounds like you need to open your eyes beyond just what happens in your immediate vicinity. The wind that hit a lot of different places tonight was not just a normal storm much less something that " barely counts" as one.
drewser95
AG
Fenrir said:

Sounds like you need to open your eyes beyond just what happens in your immediate vicinity. The wind that hit a lot of different places tonight was not just a normal storm much less something that " barely counts" as one.
Agreed. At one point there was a tornado warning for part of the City of Dallas with ~1.3M people in its path.
FTAG 2000
AG
aggiesherpa said:

RadarScope app. Tied in to national weather service. You get as real time as they get from all the NWS radar stations.
FTAG 2000
AG
Absolute said:

DannyDuberstein said:

There were multiple areas of circulation, 80mph winds, and golf ball or bigger hail in the metroplex.

Multiple overturned vehicles on 75 due to straight line winds or a circulation.

As I sit here a building a half a mile from us in Prosper is on fire thanks to lightning.

They were warranted in interrupting tv.
falconace
What building in prosper?
Absolute
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

Absolute said:

DannyDuberstein said:

There were multiple areas of circulation, 80mph winds, and golf ball or bigger hail in the metroplex.

Multiple overturned vehicles on 75 due to straight line winds or a circulation.

As I sit here a building a half a mile from us in Prosper is on fire thanks to lightning.

They were warranted in interrupting tv.

Don't have TV as my power is out.

Not saying there was not reason to be on alert. But I honestly think they are playing with the radar images to make them look worse than they are. I honestly doubt I will have measurable rainfall in my rain gauge. As I have nothing to do with no power but sit here and listen to the rain and it is barely raining. Yes, the wind blew hard for 10 minutes. Yes it could have been worse in other areas. But if 50 to 80 mph winds blew your house down, you should sue your builder.

I have lived in north Texas for 40 plus years. We get storms. We get bad storms. But it seems like lately EVERY TIME IT RAINS we get these end of days forecasts from every news station. It has become ridiculous.

Crying wolf and propagatong panic for every storm does Noone any good.
FTAG 2000
AG
falconace said:

What building in prosper?

The Public Storage on Prosper Trail.
planoaggie123
AG
To be fair there is always a cost / benefit analysis and lately it's been heavy on the "better safe" of the better safe than sorry range.

Most of DFW was under some type of watch or warning tonight.

Many saw high winds and rain.

300K without power is a lot.

Will be damage assessed tomorrow. Hopefully no deaths.

However, I would dare say 3/4 of the metroplex saw nothing more than rain and 50 mph winds.

Why can't we just make people "weather aware" without being "weather panicked". Why does everything cancel and shut down just in case. If you are just reasonably weather aware you can just know the safe place to be at any time while living your life.
FTAG 2000
AG
Y'all are going to hate this spring. La Niña is over. We are going to have more severe weather this spring thanks to that and a return to El Niño.

It's not because of hype, it's just the weather cycle we are entering.
FTAG 2000
AG
planoaggie123 said:

To be fair there is always a cost / benefit analysis and lately it's been heavy on the "better safe" of the better safe than sorry range.

However, I would dare say 3/4 of the metroplex saw nothing more than rain and 50 mph winds.

Why can't we just make people "weather aware" without being "weather panicked". Why does everything cancel and shut down just in case. If you are just reasonably weather aware you can just know the safe place to be at any time while living your life.

I will put the over under at 100 on storm damage reports in the metroplex when this is all said and done. Sorry the local stations ruined your wheel of fortune watching tonight.

Absolute
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Yep! Exactly. And while we are ranting. How come the cellphone plan that advetises ultrafast 5g and shows 3 bars on my phone barely fing work? If I needed to be *weather aware" without power, I would be dead.
planoaggie123
AG
Lol just stop.

You are mid-reading and mis-understanding.

The issue isn't wheel of fortune. I was watching the weather and didn't mind them showing.

My issue is the over reaction to these (as if odds are 99% chance the worst case will happen to everyone) and we cancel everything when we could just all stay aware and act as needed.

Now if you want to shut down all activities every time there is 60 mph and even hail we might just have to agree to disagree.
Absolute
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

planoaggie123 said:

I will put the over under at 100 on storm damage reports in the metroplex when this is all said and done. Sorry the local stations ruined your wheel of fortune watching tonight.

F off with your bull***** . No one is complaining about weather prempting tv. My power is off so, not really an option.

They are over reacting and propagating panic for ratings. I am the first to accept information and being prepared. I watched the forecasts and reports all evening, before losing power,and they were propagating panic. EVERYONE HIDE IN YOUR SAFE PLACE! This storm did jot warrant that attitude at all!

End of the day, crying wolf and playing g up panic for ratings does not help anyone.

Be aware. Watch the radar. Have a plan. But really, end of days forecasts every fing time a storm rolls through? I'm done paying attention to them.

Iirc you also played up that we would have another major winter storm based on some obscure models and YouTube meteorologist in the next few weeks. So your opinion is definitely questionable.

Welcome to Texas! We get storms! Sometimes, really terrible storms. Sucks! Don't like it? Move!
752bro4
AG
Staff plz lock and proceed to new storm thread

Thx
planoaggie123
AG
752bro4 said:

Staff plz lock and proceed to new storm thread

Thx

Better to do it on this thread which is nearing its end vs mucking up the spring thread.

Always appreciate the hall monitors.
cr06gis
AG
I hate sensationalism in weather, but in defense of the local mets, they are only echoing what the NWS is putting out there. NWS placed DFW under a Moderate Risk today, which we only get once or twice a year generally.

planoaggie123
AG
I think social media creates an echo which creates sensationalized reactions. Not local meteorologist fault. They do their jobs mostly. As mentioned they probably did not need to tell the entire squall line to hide in closets.

We Need to figure out as a society how to get necessary weather information and react appropriately. We shouldn't shut things down 4 hours before an event when there are no guarantees on what May happen. Just be alert and now how you are going to react should things take a turn for worse.
falconace
Thanks. About .5 miles from us too
fka ftc
Let's not f16 the weather thread.

This was a weird one. I live on the west edge of FloMo and it went from "guess that was a miss" to "get your arse, our son and the dogs in the closet now" to "ok, looks like circulation, guess I will go to" to some heavy winds and rain.

Its okay to have differing views on the weather and when they interrupt.

If you are still watching OTA broadcasts with no ability to catch up on a show later or stream a live even on your cellphone, then I guess be mad.

I would rather go through the "fire drill" periodically even if for a nothing burger.

coastalAg
AG
People pretty consistently have show they are incapable of doing the smart thing if it's not laid out explicitly for them. Even if you are aware of the threat, if you get caught out in a major hail storm or in the path of a tornado, your options are limited.

The news encourages people to stay home because it's the safest place for them and it keeps the roads clear for emergency responders.

I don't see what is so controversial about what happened today. Was there a massive public panic that I missed? The responses I saw all felt very in line with the threat.
duck79
AG
2.5 hrs later and still no power in my Prosper neighborhood. This must be payback for never losing power in the ice storm.
fka ftc
We had about 1.5 hours dark here, Then back on enough to have everything whirring again and back off for another 10. Holding steady now.

Friggin ice storm gave me PTSD with power outages.
wangus12
AG
Yeah same for me. 2.5 hours. I doubt I get any power back tonight

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.