Metroplex
Sponsored by

Winter Storm Thread

122,188 Views | 1272 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Decay
752bro4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Prepare yourself for next week/weekend.

Time to get the pools and plants and pipes taken care of.

Yippee-Ki-Yay

AgBQ-00
AG
Want white Christmas but don't want snowmaggedon.
wbt5845
AG
As a reminder, your pool equipment will typically run when it's below freezing to keep from damaging equipment.

But that only works as long as you have power.

If you don't mind going out there and draining the equipment when it's 15 degrees IF power fails, leave it be. Otherwise, drain it.

It only takes 2 minutes - remove one plug on bottom of recirculation pump, open valve at top of filter, and TURN OFF POWER.

EDIT - remove pool cleaner too - the reversing valve on mine froze once since it floats on top of the water and it's like a $30 part.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Is it really a storm if there is no precipitation?
wbt5845
AG
Robert C. Christian said:

Is it really a storm if there is no precipitation?
Good qurstion.

Quote:

storm [stawrm]

noun

1. a disturbance of the normal condition of the atmosphere, manifesting itself by winds of unusual force or direction, often accompanied by rain, snow, hail, thunder, and lightning, or flying sand or dust.

2. a heavy fall of rain, snow, or hail, or a violent outbreak of thunder and lightning, unaccompanied by strong winds.
So often, but not always.
ftworthag02
AG
planoaggie123
AG
I struggle with the decision every time....this cold snap doesnt seem too long but I will likely just drain my filter and pumps on Thursday and call it a day....re-start once things warm back up...
2aggiesmom
planoaggie123 said:

I struggle with the decision every time....this cold snap doesnt seem too long but I will likely just drain my filter and pumps on Thursday and call it a day....re-start once things warm back up...
We have lived in Colleyville 31 years and we have never drained our pump and filter. We have never had any damage. I guess we have been lucky.
Coates
It's just cold weather forecasted, no snow or ice. Isn't the best thing for the pump to run? Wouldn't pipes burst or the pool freeze?
planoaggie123
AG
Theory is draining all pumps etc and there is nothing to bust. Main reason would be due to avoid issues with power outage or if you have an old pump that may not run 48 hrs straight.
planoaggie123
AG
Double post
wbt5845
AG
All you need to do is drain enough so that no pipes or equipment are 100% full. That's when you get damage.

I will pull plugs Wednesday evening. It's a drag being out there at 11 PM in 15 degree weather when the power goes out.
YouBet
AG
wbt5845 said:

As a reminder, your pool equipment will typically run when it's below freezing to keep from damaging equipment.

But that only works as long as you have power.

If you don't mind going out there and draining the equipment when it's 15 degrees IF power fails, leave it be. Otherwise, drain it.

It only takes 2 minutes - remove one plug on bottom of recirculation pump, open valve at top of filter, and TURN OFF POWER.

EDIT - remove pool cleaner too - the reversing valve on mine froze once since it floats on top of the water and it's like a $30 part.
Assuming you have a freeze guard. We did not until a few years ago. Prior owner never had one installed.

Not sure what I'm doing yet if there is going to be no precipitation. I did drain last year about 2 hours into power failure. Glad I did although I still lost the PVC that powers our fountains. Just got those fixed about 2 months ago, finally.
YouBet
AG
2aggiesmom said:

planoaggie123 said:

We have lived in Colleyville 31 years and we have never drained our pump and filter. We have never had any damage. I guess we have been lucky.
You lucked out last year then. My pool guy said about half the pools he services got wiped out equipment wise with last year's storm because people didn't drain the equipment. Full on destruction. We lost one PVC pipe even after draining.
bert harbinson
AG
Forecast now showing single digits for much of the area Friday morning.
wbt5845
AG
Hasn't the freeze guard been standard for what - over 20 years? And I said "usually" but can't imagine there's many pools without it anymore.

That being said - better safe than sorry - and I seem to live in an area of Arlington that loses power pretty regularly.
2aggiesmom
wbt5845 said:

Hasn't the freeze guard been standard for what - over 20 years? And I said "usually" but can't imagine there's many pools without it anymore.

That being said - better safe than sorry - and I seem to live in an area of Arlington that loses power pretty regularly.
Our house and pool was built in 1991 and it had freeze guard for the pool so it has definately been around 30 years. We moved here from Florida. Not a thing there. We are lucky. We have never lost power during a winter storm. Even February 2020 we never lost power in our neighborhood, but we are on the same power grid as the small hospital at Church and Hwy 26.
wbt5845
AG
Yeah, if you never lose power, the freeze guard will protect you.

My electricity goes out if it gets cloudy.
YouBet
AG
wbt5845 said:

No idea. Bought this house in 2015 and I had freeze guard installed around 2018. Pool is at least 30 years old.
hijakeroo123
AG
Cross post w/ question regarding protecting pipes while away: https://texags.com/forums/61/topics/3350651
Phat32
AG
Power should be fine for this event but if I had a pool, I'd do the same as y'all. Just easier to not deal with it in a crisis.
bert harbinson
AG
Planning to shut the pool down and drain the equipment. It's time for a good filter cleaning anyway, and my neighborhood also is prone to power outages.
Absolute
AG
We never lost power during snowmagedden, (had survivors guilt), fairly new to the house and was told there is something important on our grid, so hoping that will be a trend. Just going to run mine 24hours (new pump). Will adjust the program since I don't want to rely on the thermal protection feature.

Actually, rinsed the filters today while messing around in the backyard. So should be good to go.
coastalAg
AG
This is my first storm in DFW with the in ground backflow valve. I tried to shut it off and drain, but one of the valves is rusted and can't be closed. I am thinking I will pack a couple towels down in the hole around the valve and that should be enough to keep it from freezing.

Anyone have experience with something similar?
wbt5845
AG
I would not be worried about anything in ground. The thermal mass of the soil is typically enough to keep it from freezing.
Texker
AG
Everybody ready? It took a bit but got everything buttoned up this afternoon.
Fannie Luddite
AG
Put something over the in-ground cover - a bag of garden soil or thick plywood. I take the extra step of shoving a double layer of wall insulation inside the box, around the pipe. I have 10 of these in ground stations, most with a host bib, and this has worked for me.

Also, thank you all for allowing non-pool owners for posting on the thread
HouseDivided06
AG
Thoughts on this situation? Posted on the other thread:

I have a closet on the outside of my house on the north wall for one of my water heaters. First winter in this house. It's enclosed with a door and adjoins directly to our master bath. Do I need to do anything in there for additional protection or am i likely ok?
Absolute
AG
HouseDivided06 said:

Thoughts on this situation? Posted on the other thread:

I have a closet on the outside of my house on the north wall for one of my water heaters. First winter in this house. It's enclosed with a door and adjoins directly to our master bath. Do I need to do anything in there for additional protection or am i likely ok?

"drip" a small stream of hot water from a faucet that uses this unit. Should be fine. Guess you could also put a small space heater in the closet. The unit produces its own heat if you allow it.
Absolute
AG
coastalAg said:

This is my first storm in DFW with the in ground backflow valve. I tried to shut it off and drain, but one of the valves is rusted and can't be closed. I am thinking I will pack a couple towels down in the hole around the valve and that should be enough to keep it from freezing.

In ground should be fine for this short a freeze. Did nothing to line for snowmagedden or the 22 week freeze or really ever in my 30 years of homeownership in dfw. Never had an issue. Diffferent story if you live in one of the idiotic towns the make the back flow valves be above ground. If you have that - take steps.
ftworthag02
AG
Licensed irrigator of 18+yrs in dfw. As others have said you don't need to insulate the double check valve in the ground. If you have a pvb or rpz (above ground) then you definitely need to insulate them or drain them completely. Since rain & freeze sensors are mechanical and have their own issues I recommend either turning your controller to off or some controllers like a Hunter Pro C have delay setting (up to 7 days I think) and you can leave the controller on run/auto.
bert harbinson
AG
It's here. Wow!
mAgnoliAg
AG
Absolute said:

coastalAg said:

In ground should be fine for this short a freeze. Did nothing to line for snowmagedden or the 22 week freeze or really ever in my 30 years of homeownership in dfw. Never had an issue. Diffferent story if you live in one of the idiotic towns the make the back flow valves be above ground. If you have that - take steps.

Yes the idiotic towns that actually have requirements for safe forms of backflow prevention.
mAgnoliAg
AG
coastalAg said:

Don't have to do anything other than make sure the system doesn't run. No draining or covering.
https://twitter.com/account
coastalAg
AG
Thanks for the responses, everyone!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.