Metroplex
Sponsored by

Winter Storm Thread

123,556 Views | 1272 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Decay
AvsB
How long do you want to ignore this user?
tons of melt going on in Carrollton. Has been a cold rain all day. But precip has been all above 32 degrees and turning the sleet/ice from yesterday into slush.
Justin2010
AG
Drove around FW this afternoon and saw no ice on major roads. Streets were rough. But gives me hope for tomorrow. Gonna have to drive to Grand prairie from fort worth tomorrow morning.

riverrataggie
AG
As long as temps stay above 30 this slush should stay slush. Drops below watch out. It's gonna be rough tomorrow.
The Collective
AG
Interesting read. Don't get caught off guard tonight.

Freezing rain / sleet just started at my place in Parker County.
wangus12
AG
McKinney is totally thawed. Nothing on side streets or parking lots. Drive from Dallas up wasn't bad at all.

It'll probably all refreeze over night though
agcrock2005
AG
cp09 said:

Sorry I meant the road FM 407 today, I'm right off of it so just need to get in and out of parking lot if I go to the store
Oh, sorry. Yes, I drove 35 to 407 and east to Kroger in Bartonville yesterday when I found out how bad it was going to get. About 1/2 mile east of 377 I simply let off the gas on my 4X4 F250 and ass end came all the way around (did a 180). On way back from Kroger at the same spot, there was a car in the ditch. I'm sure 407 is much worse today, or at least it will be soon.
FTAG 2000
AG
wangus12 said:

McKinney is totally thawed. Nothing on side streets or parking lots. Drive from Dallas up wasn't bad at all.

It'll probably all referee over night though

Watch your temps. It gets below 30 overnight it's all refreezing
DannyDuberstein
AG
If the rain can get it thinned out enough, even with a refreeze, that ought to help us a lot once we do get above freezing tomorrow even though it won't be by much
planoaggie123
AG
I think the volume of rain and how cold will be crucial...obvious statement of the year.

Our patio and front of house are almost completely de-iced. Assuming no major rain I am feeling more confident about getting out Thurs PM and maybe getting kids in school for Friday....
DannyDuberstein
AG
We're about to lose the solar heating aspect, but it also seems like the temp is going to come up a few ticks more in the evening. I guess we'll see how much solar vs temp contributed to some of this thawing
riverrataggie
AG
Don't forget there is a warm mass of air above us right now that if starts to sink could cause over night temps to raise a little.

This has been a very weird week for sure.
DallasAggie89
AG
Drove up and down 121 doing 70 mph today. No issues.
ChoppinDs40
AG
just went out and walked around... Last night the streets were PURE ice...

This rain is washing a lot of it away. Yes, it will refreeze overnight but the "new" layer will be very little as opposed to adding another 1/4 to 1/2" to the existing stuff... Luckily the wind stopped blowing and it warmed up a little bit today

10 more degrees cooler and we'd be royally effed... like 2010 storm effed.
double aught
AG
Everything is pretty much still ice in my Richardson neighborhood.
akaggie05
AG
I ventured out a few hours ago and slid diagonally down my (sloped) driveway. Only thing that allowed me to recover was AWD and getting to a point where one tire could get a bite on the way in and out.

Near Hillcrest / Campbell.

Not trying that again until tomorrow afternoon at the earliest. Nope nope nope.
Saxsoon
AG
double aught said:

Everything is pretty much still ice in my Richardson neighborhood.
Same in Garland
Decay
AG
From 4-5 everything in my North FW area went from slushy and borderline drivable to solid frozen. Crazy how quick it happened.

I think it'll be pretty bad out there soon for most of the metro. Any accommodation and it's gonna be there till Thursday lunch
planoaggie123
AG
Just walked around my place....vegetation starting to get some ice over it....trees look ok so far from visual...
HouseDivided06
AG
We are close by, Frankford and Meandering way. Everything ice here as well. My dogs are slipping and sliding all over the yard. I went out to my driveway and not even attempting that. It's a gated driveway and I drive a truck, and it's already tight getting out of my driveway without the ice. No chance I'd be able to get out without either hitting my fence or gate, or running into my neighbors fence. Stuck here until tomorrow
Scriffer
AG
Frankford and the Tollway here.

Driveway is an ice rink
planoaggie123
AG
....interesting....my closest Wunderground station has shown an increase in temperature by about 3/4 of a degree...just over 30 currently....
PatAg
AG
planoaggie123 said:

....interesting....my closest Wunderground station has shown an increase in temperature by about 3/4 of a degree...just over 30 currently....
someone farted by the sensor
planoaggie123
AG
now 30.3....up 0.1...basically a tropical paradise....
mAgnoliAg
AG
We walked 1/2 mile to the store and bought beer, wood pellets, dog food, 9 lb pork butt, 6 lb turkey breast, and a lot of other various groceries. And walked back through the ice and inclines here, little sketchy.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Looks like it will not only warm up a little overnight but the wind will pick up some. Don't underestimate the wind's ability to dry SOME of the streets up a little. Won't be as good as the sun when it comes out but it will help. I wasn't out this morning but I can't imagine tomorrow morning not being at least a little better in spite of some more precip -- with temps in the low to mid-30s and some wind.

We'll see. Looks like it will be noon Friday before we're completely out of this mess.
Spaceship
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

We walked 1/2 mile to the store and bought beer, wood pellets, dog food, 9 lb pork butt, 6 lb turkey breast, and a lot of other various groceries. And walked back through the ice and inclines here, little sketchy.

You carried all that for a 1/2 mile on ice?
mAgnoliAg
AG
Spaceship said:

mAgnoliAg said:

You carried all that for a 1/2 mile on ice?

Yeah thought it would be easier and kept adding things when we were shopping.
DannyDuberstein
AG
A low speed fender bender is cheaper than a skull fracture. I always try to remember that when I'm tempted to walk vs drive in conditions like this
planoaggie123
AG
seeing a slight but steady increase in temps...maybe we sneak to 32 even during the evening / night and start the day off tomorrow 33+? wishful thinking maybe....
91AggieLawyer
AG
planoaggie123 said:

seeing a slight but steady increase in temps...maybe we sneak to 32 even during the evening / night and start the day off tomorrow 33+? wishful thinking maybe....

How much difference does this make when we've been under it (32) for the last 48+ hours (or so -- whatever its been)? I know it makes a difference when we're going down, but going up?
agcrock2005
AG
29 in Northlake, but definitely has rained lot less than the forecast was talking about 6 hours ago. Hopefully that's a good sign.
planoaggie123
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

planoaggie123 said:

How much difference does this make when we've been under it (32) for the last 48+ hours (or so -- whatever its been)? I know it makes a difference when we're going down, but going up?

Not sure but with additional rain on the way...for trees and power lines, i will take just about any warming....
rsf0626
DannyDuberstein said:

A low speed fender bender is cheaper than a skull fracture. I always try to remember that when I'm tempted to walk vs drive in conditions like this

The sidewalks are much worse than the roads. Couldnt take 2 steps today outside with slipping and almost busting my ass
rsf0626
FTAG 2000
AG
Radar starting to fill in between Mexican border, asan Angelo, and Austin. All headed this way.

Things will look much different in the morning than last light tonight.
DannyDuberstein
AG
The rain is coming in waves for sure. The key is how warm will we be while it does. Right on the borderline

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.