Metroplex
Sponsored by

Winter Storm Thread

123,558 Views | 1272 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Decay
ChoppinDs40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife follows POW Ponder on social media and this guy is absolute nails. He called the 2021 storm way before anyone else.

Even Delkus said he should apply for his job the other night on TV.

She sent me a video of his (trained meteorologist) Saturday night. He was predicting a major ice storm through AT LEAST Wednesday and potentially even until the weekend depending on the cold air.

I remember watching fat Jesse on WFAA Sunday night and it was "Monday commute will be perfectly fine and then we'll get .1 to .25" of ice on Tuesday AM and it'll be above freezing on Wednesday"… WRONG.

POW Ponder said this arctic air always wins and sinks like a lead weight vs that moist air from the SW winds. Welp, cold air dropped, moist air rose and dropped rain… that then froze.

He's based out of McKinney. Give him a listen or watch from time to time.
Teacher_Ag
AG
We thinking most DFW districts cancel or delay start Thurs as well?
drewser95
AG
Ice Storm Warning being extended east to Dallas & Collin Counties.
Spaceship
AG
Teacher_Ag said:

Yes, definitely.
fc2112
Lily09 said:

I'm sleeping at the hospital tonight. Worked today and work tomorrow. Coworkers all calling in so those of us here have to pick the slack. Hope I can get home tomorrow night. :/
My wife just got up from her second night sleeping in pre-op
nortex97
AG
Roads are going to be a disaster unless some of this melts off somehow today, which seems unlikely. A lot of precipitation forecast this afternoon.

Coates
drewser95 said:

Fingers crossed not too many power outages for this one, seems like a lot of ice coming our way the next 24 hours.
Phat32
AG
Roads have gotten significantly worse overnight.
wangus12
AG
Just drove in McKinney/Melissa to Dallas. 75 SB had 1 lane and sometimes 2 cleared most of the way. Side roads suck.
fc2112
Ice Storm Warning that promises to rival New Year's Day 1980. Wherever you are right now is where you are likely to stay until tomorrow midday unless you just want to die.

Some wording I've never seen before:

Quote:

ICE STORM WARNING NOW IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM THIS MORNING TO 9 AM CST THURSDAY...

WHAT...Areas of freezing rain will develop today and tonight with additional ice accumulations up to 1/2 inch possible.

WHERE...Western North and Central Texas.

IMPACTS...Conditions will worsen through Wednesday. Power outages and tree damage will become more likely due to increasing ice accumulation. Travel could be nearly impossible through Wednesday night. Dangerous travel conditions will continue into Thursday morning.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Travel is strongly discouraged. If you must travel, keep an extra flashlight, food and water in your vehicle in case of an emergency. Prepare for possible power outages.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Teacher_Ag said:

I think Thursday off is a foregone conclusion and Friday is in doubt too.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Agreed. We won't thaw out until this weekend. Side roads and neighborhoods are a mess.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, Thursday being a cloudy, rainy day that nudges a few degrees above freezing only for us to drop down into the 20's again Thursday night isn't gonna clear this mess
agcrock2005
AG
Coates said:

drewser95 said:

Fingers crossed not too many power outages for this one, seems like a lot of ice coming our way the next 24 hours.
Yep. First time I'm happy about living in new neighborhood with no mature trees. That ice is going to get really heavy on mature trees that haven't been trimmed properly.
Garrelli 5000
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Coates said:

drewser95 said:

Yep. First time I'm happy about living in new neighborhood with no mature trees. That ice is going to get really heavy on mature trees that haven't been trimmed properly.
Good point. We left our last home after 9 years the 2 builder planted live oaks in the front yard were just starting to look decent. I haven't driven past them in a year or so, but in the 3 years since leaving they're only nicer looking. My pucker factor on losing them would be high even though we kept them trimmed.

Current home have some ?spartan junipers? that have finally started to look nice and are close to filling the gap b/w each of them. The early 2021 and 2022 ice storm made them all look like Sideshow Bob, and the largest one was demoted to smalled when his top split with last year's early ice.

Staff - take out the trash.
FTAG 2000
AG
Teacher_Ag said:

Kids won't be going back to school until Monday.
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

Not much ice on trees here. I think most week limbs came down in last year's ice storm. That was one for the ages.
planoaggie123
AG
PlanoAg98 said:

Quote:

Not much ice on trees here. I think most week limbs came down in last year's ice storm. That was one for the ages.

In Plano I believe the risk is later today....i currently see the same (no ice)....these storms are so frustrating...
Coates
planoaggie123 said:

PlanoAg98 said:

Quote:

In Plano I believe the risk is later today....i currently see the same (no ice)....these storms are so frustrating...

Yea, think it will be later today and tonight. Austin is having a lot of outages already, 25% of Austin energy customers are down.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yes, I think the risk is more late today. Yesterdays sleet gets to the ground, but freezing rain that builds up as today goes on is the risk. The weight is likely to build and build as the day goes on
fc2112
Freezing rain in Arlington right now.
rebag00
AG
Side roads in East Dallas were generally like ice skating rinks. I saw three wrecks in 2 miles this morning.
This thing ended up being much worse than originally predicted.
AggieMPH2005
Getting some freezing rain in Flower Mound at the moment.
FTAG 2000
AG
The early 'surprise' stuff today just reaffirms the NWS and most local mets are still chasing this thing and will be for the remainder of the event.

That said, the moisture plume coming out of Mexico is substantial and the main event will be this afternoon throughout the night.

The upper level low brining the final push is behind schedule though - expect more bad precip (freezing rain) tomorrow. Going to be much more ice and freezing rain over the next 24-36 hours, which is bad for the Metroplex.

YouBet
AG
Guess I would be stupid to get out and food scavenge in this assuming anything is open. Anyone know what the roads are like in North Dallas right now in Forest - Preston area?
Absolute
AG
I'm a bit north of you, Coit and Campbell, got out briefly because wife had to go to the office to get some things for a meeting. Not terrible in an all wheel drive car using the manual shifting to slow down and such. Its all pretty much ice, but it's passable. Biggest issue is interaction with other drivers and stops with any slope (started sliding after stopping completely waiting for a light on a really slight slope.)

Wouldn't get on any highways, if you can avoid it. Probably better to go now than to wait.
GAC06
AG
Went to central market there yesterday afternoon. Was fine with all wheel drive, almost no one in the store
ChoppinDs40
AG
gotta follow Pow Ponder. After his video on Saturday, we hit up the HEB and loaded up...

Chili on Sunday, Pasta on Monday.... may do a pork butt today/tomorrow. We're set baby.

Generator with newly installed transfer switch is ready to go!
agcrock2005
AG
If anyone is considering getting out in this, especially later this afternoon when it gets worse, I'd call ahead to make sure you're not doing something crazy dangerous only to get there and have them be closed. Lot's of stores shutting down.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Great minds...I was about to post my food stuff here, started this instead, came back to find your post.
Staff - take out the trash.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
The phone says it's sleeting, the radar says it's sleeting, there's nothing going on outside. Been that way all morning.
Yordaddy
AG
Rain falling in East Dallas
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Generac? Who did you get to do the install?
riverrataggie
AG
Yordaddy said:

Rain falling in East Dallas

Yep it melted some of it away and still drizzling. I'm showing 32 outside my house right now. So if this starts to come down harder I expect it to clear all the ice out.
ChoppinDs40
AG
PrestigeWorldwideAg12 said:

Generac? Who did you get to do the install?
no Generac - not about to drop 12-15k on something I may use once or twice (knock on wood).

Fortunately we're on the same grid as the police station and children's hospital... we shouldn't ever get cut.

But, if there's physical damage, we'll make due.

I had a transfer switch installed for an RV/tailgate generator to plug into. 5000w generator. I should be able to power our furnace (gas furnace) and keep our fridge running. All you really need in an event like this.

Cost about $1,100.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.