Metroplex
Sponsored by

Winter Storm Thread

123,569 Views | 1272 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Decay
planoaggie123
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

planoaggie123 said:

This.

I am almost to work now but will keep a close eye and leave as soon as I start getting that feeling things are about to turn quick. My guess is I am home by noon/1pm.

May as well turn around and go home. NWS forecast is still a bust. If we are already having freezing drizzle this morning, only going to get worse from here.

Dry the whole way in. Not even a sprinkle.

My office is almost all window to outside so I can get a good sense and there is still absolutely nothing at this point. I am 2X more efficient at work (texags occurs either way haha) so figured coming in even until noon worth it. Keeping eyes on radar, storm2k, etc.
planoaggie123
AG
also went ahead and dripped faucets last night...was back and forth on if i was going to....ultimately just glad i did...no real impact to water bill I just get tired of hearing the streams all day long.
AgsWin2011
AG
I hit a few slick spots this morning. I'm just a few miles west of Texas Motor Speedway. Northwest ISD just canceled school today. Probably a smart move.
Scriffer
AG
Keeping an eye on things in North Dallas for a sudden change. Expecting to get my kids this afternoon, and will probably start dripping faucets around dinner.
Texker
AG
planoaggie123 said:

also went ahead and dripped faucets last night...was back and forth on if i was going to....ultimately just glad i did...no real impact to water bill I just get tired of hearing the streams all day long.
I recently converted to these. Well worth the $.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Freeze-Miser-Outdoor-Faucet-Freeze-Protector-2-Pack-6000-02/320865454
fka ftc
+4 on this. Have one on each side of house. No more duct taping my wife's maternity panties around the Bob.
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
TexAg2001
AG
I'm supposed to be taking a day trip to Dallas tomorrow (Tuesday). Flying in and out of Love. I assume I need to make other plans, right? Any idea on when/if flight impacts will start being announced?
FTAG 2000
AG
TexAg2001 said:

I'm supposed to be taking a day trip to Dallas tomorrow (Tuesday). Flying in and out of Love. I assume I need to make other plans, right? Any idea on when/if flight impacts will start being announced?

Start making other plans.
bagger05
AG
Going to send folks home around noon today.

Seems unlikely we will be back in the office until Thursday.
FincAg
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

TexAg2001 said:

Start making other plans.
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/flights-canceled-at-dfw-airport-dallas-love-field-amid-winter-weather/3181624/
planoaggie123
AG
bagger05 said:

Going to send folks home around noon today.

Seems unlikely we will be back in the office until Thursday.

My plan too. Already told my team. One guy drives to Dallas from Coppell and told him to leave whenever he wants.
planoaggie123
AG
Texker said:

planoaggie123 said:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Freeze-Miser-Outdoor-Faucet-Freeze-Protector-2-Pack-6000-02/320865454

I have this on my most stubborn outside faucet. It seemed to work in December. Historically always froze. I Just put a Home Depot bucket under it and dump it every few hours. Two other outside I am sticking with covers for now. As I type this I might consider adding one freeze miser.
FTAG 2000
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Texker said:

planoaggie123 said:

I have this on my most stubborn outside faucet. It seemed to work in December. Historically always froze. I Just put a Home Depot bucket under it and dump it every few hours. Two other outside I am sticking with covers for now. As I type this I might consider adding one freeze miser.

So you have to go out and periodically dump a catch bucket or watch it create an ice skating patch underneath the faucet?
Yesterday
AG
Drove from Southlake to west Fort Worth. No issue. Slow over the Lake Worth bridge but other than that was doing 60 with traffic.
planoaggie123
AG
Yes. That is correct.

My main "concern" faucet is the one on garage that is nearest pool. If it dripped freely it would be extremely dangerous (frozen walkway right by pool lol).

The one I am considering adding a freeze miser to I probably would not "need" to have a bucket under b/c it drips into a fairly decent size flower bed w/ no walking traffic but I would still likely use a bucket.
FTAG 2000
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Yes. That is correct.

My main "concern" faucet is the one on garage that is nearest pool. If it dripped freely it would be extremely dangerous (frozen walkway right by pool lol).

The one I am considering adding a freeze miser to I probably would not "need" to have a bucket under b/c it drips into a fairly decent size flower bed w/ no walking traffic but I would still likely use a bucket.
Thanks for the insight.

I just moved to Prosper last year. During the freeze a few weeks ago, we had one faucet on the northwest corner (most exposed to wind) that froze over even with a cover on it. I had to do the dump hot water on it trick to open it back up.

May run and grab these on the way to get the kids from school later and toss it on there. It drains down the hill on that side of the house, no need for anyone to walk over there so I'll probably skip the bucket.

Scriffer
AG
Shouldn't be a problem in a newer build in Prosper, but make sure the threads on your faucets are in good shape. On mine, the threads are old and beat up, so I don't get a good seal on top. I'm back to the old way of covers and throwing a wad of Christmas lights in front.
Old School Brother
AgsWin2011 said:

I hit a few slick spots this morning. I'm just a few miles west of Texas Motor Speedway. Northwest ISD just canceled school today. Probably a smart move.
Yeah, would've been great if they had canceled it before kids got to school. My wife tried to drive to work at 6am, but turned around because she was sliding all over the place. At 7:10, NWISD said school was on, so I headed out to take my daughter to school. I turned around because the main road to her school was backed up for a couple miles because people couldn't get up a hill right before a light. I tried going a back way, but ran into a road closed for construction. While trying this, I was behind a school bus for a while. Watched the bus pick a kid up, turn around through a neighborhood, then go back and drop the kid off 5 minutes later. That's when I figured they must be canceling and went home. Didn't get the message about school being canceled until 10 minutes after school was supposed to start. I understand it can be a tough call for these superintendents, but there wasn't any new information between 7 and 7:45am. They should've been able to make the right call in plenty of time.
GarryowenAg
AG
FWISD announced the cancelation of after school activities today and tomorrow, but nothing else.
Teslag
AG
Yesterday said:

Drove from Southlake to west Fort Worth. No issue. Slow over the Lake Worth bridge but other than that was doing 60 with traffic.

That drive should be fine now. This afternoon it could get pretty dicey.
FTAG 2000
AG
GarryowenAg said:

FWISD announced the cancelation of after school activities today and tomorrow, but nothing else.
Same for Prosper and Frisco.
fka ftc
Getting light precip in FloMo. Issue with this is a brief shower of precip will immediately freeze.

I saw here or on storm2k that the magic number for road surfaces accepting frozen precip is in the 27-29 range. We were 26 in my backyard this morning.
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
Candiru
AG
Tangential question: I have Mav-Pistons tickets for tonight. I live in Allen. Tickets through Ticketmaster. Unless there is a cancellation or delay of the game, I don't appear to have any options to get my money or, at least, credit. "All Sales Final". Anyone with experience with this?
oldag941
AG
Richardson ISD cancelled all after school activities. Xplore (after school activities) are still a go.
Yesterday
AG
Southlake is closing early and off tomorrow. So dumb.
fka ftc
Lewisville ISD 2-hour early release. They should have called it earlier.

Some of these districts need to read storm2k or TexAgs v Pete Delkus.

GarryowenAg
AG
I'm in west central FW and we're starting to get with heavy sleet and rain. My house was dry up until this point. I don't it to lighten up anytime soon.
Scriffer
AG
Precipitation for us at DNT / Gorge Bush keeps getting pushed out and never above 50% until Wednesday morning. Hopefully that holds
JR Ewingford
Thunderstorms and sleet across most western areas of DFW. Good luck. Then ending of the world has started for drivers it looks like.
GarlandAg2012
AG
In SLC trying to fly home today. SW flight cancelled. AA flight cancelled. Booked one last shot on Delta arriving at 5:22 pm. Afraid if it gets cancelled we won't be home until Wednesday unless we fly to another city and attempt to drive in. How are roads in town holding up so far?
Decay
AG
NW side of town here... Looking like an icemageddon starting to develop. Very glad I'm not going out for a few days.
mosdefn14
AG
Butts gotta be in seats at 11:00 to get paid
fka ftc
mosdefn14 said:

Butts gotta be in seats at 11:00 to get paid
We kept our guy home so they lost one of those seats.

Its funny they make such big deal about attendance and pretend its for the kids. Nah, its for the check - we all know the game. In LISD missing buts means more money gets taken for robinhood.

Yesterday
AG
Sleeting in Southlake. Glad they closed schools early.
FTAG 2000
AG
Just had some thunder sleet in Prosper.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.