Metroplex
Sponsored by

Winter Storm Thread

123,565 Views | 1272 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Decay
TecRecAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The wind done got windy
mAgnoliAg
AG
Snowing here in Fort Worth
Old School Brother
Nothing like waiting until the last minute. Had to fix a leaking hose bib at 6am this morning before the temps dropped.
Spaceship
AG
Windy snow in Flower Mound. Quite a quick temperature drop this morning.
FTAG 2000
AG
Snowing in Prosper now.
cr06gis
AG
Light snow in sw arlington. Recycling bins all blowing down
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Was coming here to say this exact same thing.
rebag00
AG
Snow in Lakewood.
YouBet
AG
Anyone dead yet? This wind will strip the skin from a man's bones!

My vincus ground cover in my main backyard bed died within about 5 minutes. It dies back every year though. Snowing here pretty hard.
riverrataggie
AG
Dead here. But I've died before. No big deal.

Crazy how fast things changed.
Coates
74, slight breeze, and not a cloud in the sky in Cabo. Perfectly timed trip!
YouBet
AG
riverrataggie said:

Dead here. But I've died before. No big deal.

Crazy how fast things changed.
You are the Covid attorney then and have nine lives. That's pretty cool.

"Your honor, I'm promise I'm not a cat. I'm actually here."
Absolute
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

Absolute said:

coastalAg said:

This is my first storm in DFW with the in ground backflow valve. I tried to shut it off and drain, but one of the valves is rusted and can't be closed. I am thinking I will pack a couple towels down in the hole around the valve and that should be enough to keep it from freezing.

Anyone have experience with something similar?

In ground should be fine for this short a freeze. Did nothing to line for snowmagedden or the 22 week freeze or really ever in my 30 years of homeownership in dfw. Never had an issue. Diffferent story if you live in one of the idiotic towns the make the back flow valves be above ground. If you have that - take steps.

Yes the idiotic towns that actually have requirements for safe forms of backflow prevention.
How is having the backflow valve exposed to the elements and not int he ground any safer? It performs the same function either way.
Absolute
AG
Never had a chance to pick up all the leaves that fell other than the ones that fell into the pool over the last couple weeks. Had them somewhat neatly blown along the fence waiting to be picked up. 40mph winds make a mess of said piles, including blowing a bunch in the pool. Have a screen thing I built to keep them out of the skimmer, but have already been out once to get leaves out of the pool. It is freaking COLD!
Honar
AG
We lost power to our 220 volt appliances, stove, dryer, heater, and a couple rooms. Not sure what the deal is, but it might be wind related since we have power lines. Power company is supposed to be here by 2.
Ag CPA
AG
Coates said:

Let us know if you see Ted hanging out at the bar.
wangus12
AG
Is it bad that I kinda want to go for a run this afternoon just for kicks
riverrataggie
AG
wangus12 said:

Is it bad that I kinda want to go for a run this afternoon just for kicks

I plan tomorrow. Love it when it's regally cold. That said, f the wind.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Absolute said:

mAgnoliAg said:

Absolute said:

coastalAg said:

This is my first storm in DFW with the in ground backflow valve. I tried to shut it off and drain, but one of the valves is rusted and can't be closed. I am thinking I will pack a couple towels down in the hole around the valve and that should be enough to keep it from freezing.

Anyone have experience with something similar?

In ground should be fine for this short a freeze. Did nothing to line for snowmagedden or the 22 week freeze or really ever in my 30 years of homeownership in dfw. Never had an issue. Diffferent story if you live in one of the idiotic towns the make the back flow valves be above ground. If you have that - take steps.

Yes the idiotic towns that actually have requirements for safe forms of backflow prevention.
How is having the backflow valve exposed to the elements and not int he ground any safer? It performs the same function either way.

All manufacturers of DCVAs clearly state they should not be installed below grade, not to mention issues that could arise from submersion in water/dirt in a box like extra corrosion/test cock caps not on and ground water/dirt being introduced right at the water source.

Also DCVAs in general are less safe because they are only meant for non health hazard water as even when they are brand new, each check valve fails 10% of the time (entire assembly fails 1% of the time). Above ground RPZs have a relief valve that opens if the first check valve fails so all backflow water spills out on the ground instead of taking a chance on the final check valve before your contamination of your drinking water.
planoaggie123
AG
I almost went full lazy yesterday and left all my leaves but towards end of day I went ahead and bagged and I am glad I did. Still plenty of leaves to battle and will likely be checking skimmer every few hours. This wind is miserable. Ready for wind and snow to stop.
Coates
Ag CPA said:

Coates said:

Let us know if you see Ted hanging out at the bar.

Ha, no Ted, but a lot of people from Calgary who escaped -20.
rsf0626
shoutout to the people who did early christmas shopping and not have to deal with this mess
rsf0626
Spaceship
AG
I went to Home Depot earlier to return something and the amount of people buying faucet covers, landscape blankets, insulation, etc was comical.
YouBet
AG
I did my usual hand towel faucet wrapping. I never plan ahead and get those faucet covers which I've read don't really work anyway. My towel method probably doesn't either.
riverrataggie
AG
YouBet said:

I did my usual hand towel faucet wrapping. I never plan ahead and get those faucet covers which I've read don't really work anyway. My towel method probably doesn't either.

I wrap a towel and then put the covers on.
YouBet
AG
Now worried my pool level is going to get too low and I'll have to shut it off and then dump the equipment. M'fer.

I seem to be slowly losing water today.
planoaggie123
AG
Likely result of the extreme wind....should see that water level steady hopefully by tomorrow as the wind calms....

Are you concerned about taking off a cover for a faucet to "top off"?
YouBet
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Likely result of the extreme wind....should see that water level steady hopefully by tomorrow as the wind calms....

Are you concerned about taking off a cover for a faucet to "top off"?
A little.
planoaggie123
AG
I dont want to be the one to mess things up and hopefully someone will come chime in but on another thread a guy said he would go out and run his faucets periodically at night in the Feb 2021 storm....seems like it would be safe to do your situation but again could be way off...

edit: hopefully you have a little wiggle room still and i think by tomorrow mid-day the wind factor should reduce.
Ag CPA
AG
I would think that you should be fine to still run your faucets, especially if your house is still heated. Drip them or pour some hot water over before recovering. Beats the hell out of replacing pool equipment (from experience).
planoaggie123
AG
I just had to stop pump to clean pump basket….was packed with leaves…I got back from vacation late Tuesday and should have thought to check. All good. System back up and running.
riverrataggie
AG
Hook a hose up to inside sink, if it's long enough.

That's what she said protected.

And yes, wind evaporates water fast. I noticed mine dropped as well. But not close to danger.
Jack Ruby
Any word on airline cancelations at DFW? I fly in tomorrow.
coastalAg
AG
Our pool pump is going strong, but I did notice that the water feature pump has a slow leak coming from the bottom. Guessing that has been that way and we just didn't notice because we don't run it much.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Here is the latest tweet from DFW:

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.