Metroplex
Sponsored by

Winter Storm Thread

123,566 Views | 1272 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Decay
FTAG 2000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
fc2112 said:

Things are now showing front coming through mid-afternoon. And it'll be COLD!

Precipitation? Just a chance of "wintery mix" early Monday.

I'm frankly hoping for a sheet of ice so I can work from home, but we'll see.

Looks like you'll get your ice. Up to 60% chance of freezing precip for north Texas down to an Austin to Huntsville to Newton line.

Grid will definitely be taxed hard. All of Texas looks to catch freezing temps Monday into Tuesday.
wangus12
AG
Damn it what happened to more snow than ice
AgsWin2011
AG
Here's to everyone getting MLK day off!
zag213004
AG
Heading to home Depot right now do those freeze miser things work
AgsWin2011
AG
zag213004 said:

Funny you say that since I saw an ad this morning. Let us know, but I imagine if Lowe's and HD carry them, they're probably already sold out.

Do people not keep their faucet covers and re-use them? Seems funny that every year people are rushing to buy them right before a bad freeze.
FTAG 2000
AG
zag213004 said:

Worked for me last December. This will be a longer colder stretch though. But I also see people using them up north so should be good.

Going to check them each morning

FTAG 2000
AG
wangus12 said:

Damn it what happened to more snow than ice

Someone in north Texas is going to get the white stuff dumped tomorrow evening. It's just tbd right now.

The models literally show snow north of 380 and ice everywhere south. I'm pretty sure Mother Nature doesn't care about roads on the map.

The front is ahead of schedule coming down with cold today. The storm system is just approaching the Oregon coast. Should start getting good data out of the northwest meso stations and be able to fine tune models starting later today.
fc2112
FTAG 2000 said:

Looks like you'll get your ice.

EDIT - in a perfect world, it ices enough that I can honestly tell my boss I can't drive in but not enough that it's really all that bad.
riverrataggie
AG
I reuse mine. Just wrap exterior faucets with hand towels and pack it in. Drop a foam cover over top. Worked for me so far.

I also run a lot of water as I'm pier and beam. I mentioned before but I run every faucet, toilet, and bath/shower hot cold every four hours.
wangus12
AG
I'm north of 380 by 2 miles. I'll take it
planoaggie123
AG
zag213004 said:

I have had 2 strong winter storms with no "failures" or issues when using Freeze Miser. If I get through this one, I will be 100% sold. I have them on all 3 outside faucets now. First storm I used one. Second storm i used 2. This one is all 3. I used it the past 2 years on my most vulnerable spout (exterior garage wall minimal insulation and facing north).

I was at HD yesterday and they had 30+ so hopefully you can find. They are not cheap but should get you 2+ years. Grab some buckets to toss under them so you do not have an ice rink under. There is a good chance your bucket will have a water/ice mix depending on how long you go between dumping.

re: Foam Covers...i was one who bought them every year. Cheap and figured that foam edge might not be as good. After losing 2 faucets in these freezes over the past 3 years while using covers, I have largely sworn them off other than maybe the occasional slight dip in temperatures.
tysker
AG
AgsWin2011 said:

zag213004 said:

Funny you say that since I saw an ad this morning. Let us know, but I imagine if Lowe's and HD carry them, they're probably already sold out.

Do people not keep their faucet covers and re-use them? Seems funny that every year people are rushing to buy them right before a bad freeze.

When we lived in NY and NJ the news would always have stories about the run on snow shovels in advance of storms. I always wondered if all these people had lost or broke their shovels somehow. Or maybe there's a rash of snow shovel thievery.
Craigy
What is the best radar to view online?
planoaggie123
AG
Pool is now shut down. Glad I did it early. Not miserable out yet. I always have trouble with a plug or two and did once again. Had to keep going back to garage for a different tools (Regular pliers; Vise grip; needle nose pliers all depending on where plug is / position it's turned to and then visegripe for filters) and better in sunny 50 degree weather than 10 degrees and dark.
riverrataggie
AG
Make sure to drain pool level 3" below lowest return.
planoaggie123
AG
Equipment is higher than pool. I have some bottles with antifreeze floating in hot tub, water feature bodies of water, and in skimmers for any ice that forms. Equipment and pipes wrapped with tarp over.
riverrataggie
AG
Understand. I always have let my pump run. Even when it went 7 days straight. But if I was going to winterize it, I'd just do it fully. Open it back up in April.
fc2112
I don't worry about the pool level , skimmer or hot tub. If they freeze, they can expand upwards. Never had an issue.
planoaggie123
AG
Understand but we like the water features all through winter so don't want to do the full winterization. It takes 15 to 20 min to drain and cover then the theory is I don't have to worry about power or pump failing for 3+ days or even more.
FDXAg
AG
Probably a stupid question, but I went to unhook the hose from an exterior faucet and the faucet keeps dripping. No matter how hard I turn the handle it's still drips quite a bit. The bonnet nut appears stripped as well so I can't unscrew the handle to determine if the washer behind the handle needs replacing.

So what do I do with the hard freeze coming up? Is it a bad thing for this exterior faucet to just keep dripping for the next 3 or 4 days? Would that actually possibly help keep my exterior pipe from freezing? Trying to call a plumber out but obviously everybody is booked out until next week so I'm just trying to figure out what to do
planoaggie123
AG
Where are you? If Plano area maybe try Pelayo Plumbing but they are a small shop so could be booked up.

Sorry not sure about your other question if ok to just let it ride with water running.
riverrataggie
AG
Not a plumber, so take or leave it. I'd go get one of those freezemizer and put a 5 gallon bucket under it.

If they are out I'd move towards a more gradual drip. And replace bucket after bucket ever 3 to 4 hours.

Even with a plumber booked solid you could book them after to get it fixed and ask their advice.

This is a hard one.
Tom Cardy
AG
you effectively have a freeze miser at a fraction of the cost, congratulations.

not a lot you can do about it at this point except make sure the water dripping is not going to pool or ice in a bad spot.
Fannie Luddite
AG
I'm beginning to sense the Vortex.
HouseDivided06
AG
This happened to me about 4-5 years ago. The O ring/rubber gasket up inside the faucet is basically shot. If it's stripped and you can't unscrew it, basically you will have to replace that faucet. Had to do the exact same thing. Not ideal but not the end of the world. Agree, do the freeze miser or do a slow drip with a bucket under it and empty it out.
FTAG 2000
AG
HouseDivided06 said:

This happened to me about 4-5 years ago. The O ring/rubber gasket up inside the faucet is basically shot. If it's stripped and you can't unscrew it, basically you will have to replace that faucet. Had to do the exact same thing. Not ideal but not the end of the world. Agree, do the freeze miser or do a slow drip with a bucket under it and empty it out.

This. Also, call your plumber now. Even if they are closed leave a message so you're front of the line when they start working calls. They're going to have a lot.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Eerily warm outside right now
AgsWin2011
AG
Are the chances of precipitation about gone? Not seeing any chances on any of my weather apps now.
PatAg
AG
riverrataggie
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

Winter is coming.
BenFiasco14
AG
I'll be going into a event today where it's 50 going in and a few hours later it'll be 20 something
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
wangus12
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

It was tank top and shorts on my run a little while ago
riverrataggie
AG
wangus12 said:

mAgnoliAg said:

It was tank top and shorts on my rub a little while ago

TMI.
wangus12
AG
Damn it lol
FTAG 2000
AG
AgsWin2011 said:

Are the chances of precipitation about gone? Not seeing any chances on any of my weather apps now.

The national weather service just issued a winter weather advisory for freezing rain tomorrow.

Might need to find a new app.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.