Metroplex
Sponsored by

Winter Storm Thread

123,551 Views | 1272 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Decay
riverrataggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What does this mean?
Ag CPA
AG
Jack Ruby said:

Any word on airline cancelations at DFW? I fly in tomorrow.
Winds are dying down so I'm guessing that you will be ok if your flight has not already been cancelled.
hbc07
AG
And we've already got a frozen pipe to the kitchen sink on a north facing wall. Cleared out the cabinet and have a space heater going to try and thaw it. Guess I forget that I'm not living in Michigan with houses meant to handle some cold.
[url]http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com[/url]
riverrataggie
AG
hbc07 said:

And we've already got a frozen pipe to the kitchen sink on a north facing wall. Cleared out the cabinet and have a space heater going to try and thaw it. Guess I forget that I'm not living in Michigan with houses meant to handle some cold.

Crazy. When it gets into the teens I just set my timer and run water every four hours around the house, both hot and cold.
Buford Tannen
AG
same - and I wrap a Hot Hands packet in the towel
Fannie Luddite
AG
If you have a frozen pipe, open the valve\faucet to relieve pressure and mitigate a pipe break.

It also has the added feature of letting you know when your pipe is thawed.
hbc07
AG
Fannie Luddite said:

If you have a frozen pipe, open the valve\faucet to relieve pressure and mitigate a pipe break.

It also has the added feature of letting you know when your pipe is thawed.
Yep, faucet is wide open right now and we've got other faucets dripping around the house to relieve overall pressure.

This house has **** for insulation.
[url]http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com[/url]
wangus12
AG
Wife and I are leaving town today. Doesn't seem like anything frozen from last night. Should I just leave all the faucets dripping?
AgBQ-00
AG
Yes. I would.
YouBet
AG
Lost my biggest pittosporum and most likely the other ones as well even though they were covered. Second year in a row. Guess I'm going to have to switch those out with something more cold hardy. Really sucks because I love them. It was last really non cold hardy plant we had in the landscape.
wangus12
AG
Appreciate it. Family in San Antonio just called and they all have the flu so we are staying put instead
riverrataggie
AG
With the sun out able to turn pump off. Showing in sun 40
riverrataggie
AG
Well that lasted a whole hour. Went for a run not too bad. Just bring gloves.
AggieMPH2005
Well busted pipes at my house, made it through snowmaggedon without a problem but not this time. Plumber is supposed to be here by 6, was the 5th one I called
planoaggie123
AG
AggieMPH2005 said:

Well busted pipes at my house, made it through snowmaggedon without a problem but not this time. Plumber is supposed to be here by 6, was the 5th one I called
Lose power? Interior pipes I assume?
AggieMPH2005
Pipe on an exterior wall, no power loss. In hindsight should have dripped the faucets at least but since we didn't have a problem last year didn't think we needed to this time
riverrataggie
AG
Looks like chlorinator cap busted or the rubber gasket finally wore out.. Have a nice little ice build up running down the outside of it.
planoaggie123
AG
AggieMPH2005 said:

Pipe on an exterior wall, no power loss. In hindsight should have dripped the faucets at least but since we didn't have a problem last year didn't think we needed to this time
Sorry to hear. Get it fixed? Was it pipe or just. The faucet?
AggieMPH2005
Plumber couldn't fix tonight, when we turned the main back on so he could locate the leak, nothing happened so he said ca him back when everything thaws tomorrow…
2aggiesmom
AggieMPH2005 said:

Plumber couldn't fix tonight, when we turned the main back on so he could locate the leak, nothing happened so he said ca him back when everything thaws tomorrow…
How did you know it is busted. Our pot filler and ice marker line froze and stopped working , on our north facing wall, but last time when this happened it started flowing again as soon as the temps rose above freezing for a few hours. I am hopeful it will do the same this time.
AggieMPH2005
The 2 inches of water in our master bath and closet coming from behind the wall was our first clue
2aggiesmom
AggieMPH2005 said:

The 2 inches of water in our master bath and closet coming from behind the wall was our first clue
Wow that is awful. I hope you are able to get it fixed soon. For what it is worth, that is how our remodel began a couple of years back. We had a leak in the wall behind the shower. I sure do love my new bathroom. Ours wasn't due to frozen pipes so hopefully you can get yours covered by insurance.
AggieMPH2005
Thanks my wife caught it pretty quickly and shut the water off. I doubt we will need to get insurance involved. My neighbor though I think is in trouble they left for New York the day before yesterday and we were so busy dealing with our situation we didn't notice the water pouring out of their garage until about 7 last night and get it shut off for them.
YouBet
AG
I'm terrified of coming home to this. We left town with my wife's faucet frozen up. Hope it just thawed out. Left it open so it could run once/if it did.
Old Buffalo
AG
It happened.

Busted pipe on exterior wall. Sigh.
“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
planoaggie123
AG
After 2 days of going good had to shut down pool yesterday. Two issues.

1) Filter for fountain pump had a leak at the gauge and was spewing water.

2) water going to waste when filter running so pretty sure that is a frozen gasket / o-ring issue on main pool filter valve.

After these harsh storms I am only confident in one thing…there is no guarantee other than a full northern style shut down. I have had damage on different parts of pool every time (both shutting down and running).

Pools are just exhausting.
YouBet
AG
I arrived at that point in life with this storm that if we were to ever buy another house, it will not have a pool.

Our house on the coast has one that is basically the size of a large hot tub and it's perfect. But even that one has cost us an arm and a leg to upkeep because of salt water and leaks.
planoaggie123
AG
I largely agree. I would rather pay a membership for a country club or just go to friends houses. Thousands of dollars down the drain each year.

I know my kids love it and they practically live in it for the summer which is good so I try to remember that when I complain but it is just a massive headache year round whether you use it or not. My wife and kids are clueless to how much effort it put into it.
Ag CPA
AG
Thawing out and everything seems to be ok; as alluded to above a lost around $10K in pool equipment two years ago so I'm owed one.
akaggie05
AG
Only pool casualty this time was a cracked housing on the control valve for the inline chlorinator. I never use it so the dial was set to off, which meant no flow and it froze up. Luckily my box of random plumbing fittings in the garage had a couple of 1/2" threaded PVC caps so it was a quick fix late yesterday afternoon. I'll probably just eliminate the rest of the chlorinator soon.
YouBet
AG
I have some kind of pool issue with an old sweeper. We have two but have only ever ran one of them. The other one was closed off years ago before we moved here because it got landscaped over. However, it seems to have "opened" back up because now it's sucking wind and sounds like it's backed up causing the overall pool to not move water.

Just awesome. I'm guessing we will have to dig out the landscape over it and close it back up.

Man, I'm really, really hating pool ownership at this point.
Ag CPA
AG
WTF is going on with SWA at Love this morning, lines in the news reports are crazy. I remember when they used to thrive in situations like this 15-20 years ago, things have changed.
wbt5845
AG
Recirculation pump JUST got started this afternoon. Must have been a little ice stuck in there somewhere. So many leaves in pool (thanks neighbors).
YouBet
AG
Ag CPA said:

WTF is going on with SWA at Love this morning, lines in the news reports are crazy. I remember when they used to thrive in situations like this 15-20 years ago, things have changed.

Cancelled half of flights yesterday and 60% today. It's a disaster.
Coates
YouBet said:

Ag CPA said:

Cancelled half of flights yesterday and 60% today. It's a disaster.

Saw on Twitter a video that 90% of southwest flights leaving Phoenix were cancelled today and that they can't get anyone out for 4 days. Unreal, I flew them for years until 7 of 8 flights last year were cancelled or delayed significantly.

No airline is perfect, but American has been great this year.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.