Metroplex
Sponsored by

Winter Storm Thread

123,543 Views | 1272 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Decay
duck79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Heard a power line btw the Tollway and Coleman snapped along First which could be causing the issue.
falconace
I called gcec and they said we lost a feeder and to call back in an hour for an update and eta. When I called for the update the guy said it's going to be a long time as they had several poles in our area get destroyed. The pics on their Twitter account don't look fun.
FTAG 2000
AG
Absolute said:

FTAG 2000 said:

planoaggie123 said:

To be fair there is always a cost / benefit analysis and lately it's been heavy on the "better safe" of the better safe than sorry range.

Most of DFW was under some type of watch or warning tonight.

Many saw high winds and rain.

300K without power is a lot.

Will be damage assessed tomorrow. Hopefully no deaths.

However, I would dare say 3/4 of the metroplex saw nothing more than rain and 50 mph winds.

Why can't we just make people "weather aware" without being "weather panicked". Why does everything cancel and shut down just in case. If you are just reasonably weather aware you can just know the safe place to be at any time while living your life.

I will put the over under at 100 on storm damage reports in the metroplex when this is all said and done. Sorry the local stations ruined your wheel of fortune watching tonight.

F off with your bull***** . No one is complaining about weather prempting tv. My power is off so, not really an option.

They are over reacting and propagating panic for ratings. I am the first to accept information and being prepared. I watched the forecasts and reports all evening, before losing power,and they were propagating panic. EVERYONE HIDE IN YOUR SAFE PLACE! This storm did jot warrant that attitude at all!

End of the day, crying wolf and playing g up panic for ratings does not help anyone.

Be aware. Watch the radar. Have a plan. But really, end of days forecasts every fing time a storm rolls through? I'm done paying attention to them.

Iirc you also played up that we would have another major winter storm based on some obscure models and YouTube meteorologist in the next few weeks. So your opinion is definitely questionable.

Welcome to Texas! We get storms! Sometimes, really terrible storms. Sucks! Don't like it? Move!

Dude calm down. Maybe take the night off. You've inspected two homes for me, this ain't like you.

I am a weather junkie. I friggin hate when the local guys overhype something.

I share info here because Ags are my extended family and I consider y'all a cut above on the intelligence scale because of our school (maybe I'm wrong?).

The locals for Dallas are responsible for a huge area. They have from about 70 miles east of Abilene to Tyler e-w and Hillsboro to the Red River n-s. 2200 square miles. Sorry you didnt get a tornado in your backyard.

They have to give that entire area a heads up with sufficient lead time to act. And remember there's a lot of dumb people in the Metroplex too, they have to forecast and alert to the lowest common denominator.

Yall are smart. Filter out the noise and take appropriate action (or not) for you and your families.

FTAG 2000
AG
falconace said:

I called gcec and they said we lost a feeder and to call back in an hour for an update and eta. When I called for the update the guy said it's going to be a long time as they had several poles in our area get destroyed. The pics on their Twitter account don't look fun.
m
What's GCEC?
falconace
Grayson Collin electric coop
bco2003
AG
nm
fka ftc
riverrataggie
AG
Why are people so angry
wangus12
AG
Those pics are wild. Poles snapped like twigs. Guess I need to eat these 2 pints of ice cream. Lord know that ****s probably like $8 a pint in this economy
sek92
AG
Weatherford isd closed tomorrow
91AggieLawyer
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

Absolute said:

DannyDuberstein said:

I think that has to be someone misreading after school activities being canceled tonight

Probably. She can be a little over reactive. She won't go back to school til Monday due to the school Nashville trip. Already have been chastised about being not concerned enough about this non storm event that daughter was overreacting about.

Getting pretty tired of the news stations whipping up panic over storms that are just Texas thunderstorms. Don't feel like this happened 20nyears ago. I am all for realistic caution. But give me a fing break. Aside from my power going out (first time ever for this house including snowmagedden). This barely even counts as a storm.

There were multiple areas of circulation, 80mph winds, and golf ball or bigger hail in the metroplex.

Multiple overturned vehicles on 75 due to straight line winds or a circulation.

As I sit here a building a half a mile from us in Prosper is on fire thanks to lightning.

They were warranted in interrupting tv.

You sure? All I've seen so far is quarter size at most, but I could have missed it. I don't think anything bigger was widespread at all.

Obviously, high winds damaged many things and chunked power out in several places.
GarlandAg2012
AG
There are some people majorly showing their ass in this thread. Very disappointed. Here's to the spring storm thread being more level headed and understanding of the idea that weather warnings improve outcomes for large populations.
FTAG 2000
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

Absolute said:

FTAG 2000 said:

planoaggie123 said:

To be fair there is always a cost / benefit analysis and lately it's been heavy on the "better safe" of the better safe than sorry range.

However, I would dare say 3/4 of the metroplex saw nothing more than rain and 50 mph winds.

Why can't we just make people "weather aware" without being "weather panicked". Why does everything cancel and shut down just in case. If you are just reasonably weather aware you can just know the safe place to be at any time while living your life.

I will put the over under at 100 on storm damage reports in the metroplex when this is all said and done. Sorry the local stations ruined your wheel of fortune watching tonight.

F off with your bull***** . No one is complaining about weather prempting tv. My power is off so, not really an option.

They are over reacting and propagating panic for ratings. I am the first to accept information and being prepared. I watched the forecasts and reports all evening, before losing power,and they were propagating panic. EVERYONE HIDE IN YOUR SAFE PLACE! This storm did jot warrant that attitude at all!

End of the day, crying wolf and playing g up panic for ratings does not help anyone.

Be aware. Watch the radar. Have a plan. But really, end of days forecasts every fing time a storm rolls through? I'm done paying attention to them.

Iirc you also played up that we would have another major winter storm based on some obscure models and YouTube meteorologist in the next few weeks. So your opinion is definitely questionable.

Welcome to Texas! We get storms! Sometimes, really terrible storms. Sucks! Don't like it? Move!

Dude calm down. Maybe take the night off. You've inspected two homes for me, this ain't like you.

I share info here because Ags are my extended family and I consider y'all a cut above on the intelligence scale because of our school (maybe I'm wrong?).

The locals for Dallas are responsible for a huge area. They have from about 70 miles east of Abilene to Tyler e-w and Hillsboro to the Red River n-s. 2200 square miles. Sorry you didnt get a tornado in your backyard.

They have to give that entire area a heads up with sufficient lead time to act. And remember there's a lot of dumb people in the Metroplex too, they have to forecast and alert to the lowest common denominator.

Yall are smart. Filter out the noise and take appropriate action (or not) for you and your families.

Last post from me tonight as I'm going on four hours of no power and we are giving our battery backups to some friends with a newborn down the street for noise machine and assorted other baby stuff.

Remember that 2000 square miles of viewership I mentioned? Across it as we sit about 10:30 tonight 15% of the people living in it have no power. That's a big deal. If you have power be happy. If you don't know there's a **** ton of line crews working through the night for you.

Have a good night Ags, going to be a long spring storm season this year. Let's keep it civil.
Aries
I would say 80-100mph wind gusts deem some sort of hey get in a closet for the next 30 minutes discussion.

I was in the middle of a hospital, on the ground floor & when the lights started going in & out & I could hear the wind.....makes one start to get nervous.
ac04
i get PISSED OFF when the weatherman says bad things could happen to me and then everything is ok
Coates
ac04 said:

i get PISSED OFF when the weatherman says bad things could happen to me and then everything is ok

While I don't share the same enthusiasm as some, it should be acceptable to be frustrated with the local meteorologists swings and missed with severe weather. Businesses and events get cancelled based on forecasts, and it feels like the news stations prioritize eye balls vs accuracy.

Add in keyboard weatherman trying to predict 2 weeks out who only make things worse.
Yesterday
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

Absolute said:

FTAG 2000 said:

planoaggie123 said:

You were kind of poking the bear there. You could have left out the wheel of fortune comment. But we need likes on our posts I guess.

Tv was warranted. I blame everyone these days. My mother in law was upset at my wife because she didn't cancel gymnastics with the kids at 5. I could literally see the line west of Fort Worth when she was freaking out. Wife got home 30
Minutes before it hit and we experienced some high winds, pea
Size hail and rain.

Definitely not the storm of the century.
Diamond Dogs
S
Better to be pissed off than pissed on.
aggiespartan
AG
Woke up to no power in Carrollton. This is fun.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Share link!
wangus12
AG
ChoppinDs40
AG
duck79 said:

Heard a power line btw the Tollway and Coleman snapped along First which could be causing the issue.

I got out and drove around ~815 last night. We were in the middle of making dinner when power went out so scooted up to the gates for some chick fil A.

I can confirm first street was closed between DNT and railroad tracks. Response vehicles on the road and at the blockade.

When coming home I went up to prosper trail and turned west. All of Saddle Creek, wildwood and whatever it is to the south was without power. The light at Coleman/Prosper Trail was black. Nothing.

As I drove through it, a prosper PD cruiser just showed up and threw on his lights. Everything in the LOPs and villages was black as was the builders source and storage building and prestonwood.

Everyone with their Generacs in Star Trail got to flex last night. Neighbor at the end of my street had everything on including uplights on the house. Just glowing like Clark Griswold.

When I went to plug my RV generator into my transfer switch, I suddenly realized I needed a fkin adapter. Gdamn it I was pissed.
FTAG 2000
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

duck79 said:

I got out and drove around ~815 last night. We were in the middle of making dinner when power went out so scooted up to the gates for some chick fil A.

I can confirm first street was closed between DNT and railroad tracks. Response vehicles on the road and at the blockade.

When coming home I went up to prosper trail and turned west. All of Saddle Creek, wildwood and whatever it is to the south was without power. The light at Coleman/Prosper Trail was black. Nothing.

As I drove through it, a prosper PD cruiser just showed up and threw on his lights. Everything in the LOPs and villages was black as was the builders source and storage building and prestonwood.

Everyone with their Generacs in Star Trail got to flex last night. Neighbor at the end of my street had everything on including uplights on the house. Just glowing like Clark Griswold.

When I went to plug my RV generator into my transfer switch, I suddenly realized I needed a fkin adapter. Gdamn it I was pissed.

I need to find that post with the details on the interlock, after last night want to get that all done here at the casa.

Edit, found it, info back on page 13 - https://texags.com/forums/37/topics/3350296/13
ChoppinDs40
AG
it's pretty straight forward - electrician took about 2 hours doing it (luckily my breaker box is in my garage on an exterior wall).

They reroute a few breakers and then put the box/interlock connection where you want it.

It's a NEMA L14 receptacle. Get the right cord (and adapter) and the generator plugs into it.

You turn off the individual breakers, flip the main breaker (mine's a 200AMP box), slide the interlock down. Fire up the generator. Turn on the interlock breaker and then flip on the breakers you want to use.... since you have the main breaker off, when the power comes back on, it's not feeding the box.

When it does, turn off the generator, flip that breaker and all breakers off. Slide the interlock up, flip the main breaker on. Turn on individual breakers. Voila.

Edit to add: ran me about $1k for the interlock kit.
FTAG 2000
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

it's pretty straight forward - electrician took about 2 hours doing it (luckily my breaker box is in my garage on an exterior wall).

They reroute a few breakers and then put the box/interlock connection where you want it.

It's a NEMA L14 receptacle. Get the right cord (and adapter) and the generator plugs into it.

You turn off the individual breakers, flip the main breaker (mine's a 200AMP box), slide the interlock down. Fire up the generator. Turn on the interlock breaker and then flip on the breakers you want to use.... since you have the main breaker off, when the power comes back on, it's not feeding the box.

When it does, turn off the generator, flip that breaker and all breakers off. Slide the interlock up, flip the main breaker on. Turn on individual breakers. Voila.

Edit to add: ran me about $1k for the interlock kit.
Appreciate the guidance on this.

Talked with my electrician, he's recommending I go get a bigger generator (have a 4000W) to give us additional flexibility, capability to do things like run our pool pump if power out in winter.

Looks like I will be about 1500-1600 all in with generator, parts, and electrician work.
The Collective
AG
I'll take what we have now over things like the May fest storm in the 90s. Glad they know when the conditions are ripe. It maybe screws up a few afternoon / evening per spring.
ChoppinDs40
AG
yeah I've got an inverter quiet RV generator at 4.5k watts. It runs what I need it to but if you're going to go home power only, go get a 7k or 9k construction one. Who cares how loud it is...
planoaggie123
AG
Storm2K starting to increase in activity with some cold stuff coming in a week....
Pepper Brooks
AG
Forecast is show an "arctic blast" coming as far south as central Texas next Friday. Current temp prediction is 23 in DFW. It's an evolving situation and could be colder by the time it gets here.
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

“As government expands, Liberty contracts” - R. Reagan
Robert C. Christian
AG
Pepper Brooks said:

Forecast is show an "arctic blast" coming as far south as central Texas next Friday. Current temp prediction is 23 in DFW. It's an evolving situation and could be colder by the time it gets here.
High or low?
Craigy
Low . Every phone has weather forecasts
fc2112
Hahaha 26 degrees with a 20 mph wind?

Run gloriously!
ftworthag02
AG
NWS is showing high 49 in dfw Friday
Pepper Brooks
AG
https://m.facebook.com/powponder

Scroll down a few posts. He's an independent weather junkie out of McKinney who's been super accurate on impact/timing of bigger systems.
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

“As government expands, Liberty contracts” - R. Reagan
FTAG 2000
AG
Models are trending to Friday and onward being below freezing.

POW has it covered well on his facebook stream.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.