Metroplex
Sponsored by

Winter Storm Thread

123,564 Views | 1272 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Decay
bco2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Frisco's kind of flaunting that they're open.
Naveronski
AG
Pepper Brooks said:

This means daycares and child care facilities that follow the ISDs lead are closed too. This is horse*****
Yep, frustrating.
AW 1880
AG
Wylie ISD just closed. Stupid.
Pepper Brooks
AG
Lewisville is open. Thank the lord.
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

“As government expands, Liberty contracts” - R. Reagan
Robert C. Christian
AG
Rockwall ISD asked posted on FB this morning to "send us pictures of kids playing in snow". Then canceled school tomorrow because of inclement weather.

I can't believe they asked us to put our kids in so much danger this morning.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Add Plano to the closed list.
gabehcoud
Bunch of public employees who want a day off since MLK day was already scheduled
double aught
AG
a.froman said:

Unfortunately this is all about kids that have to wait for busses and or walk to school. Along with lower socioeconomic kids that don't have jackets is the reason. It seems crazy but this is the world we live in.
I suspect you're right. But the truth is, sounds like a parent problem. Parents make all sorts of bad choices for their kids all the time (I'm probably guilty). Doesn't mean schools should close on account of it.
Yesterday
AG
The schools are used to calling it and hoping the state gives them a pass for the bad weather. The last two years we had several bad weather days and never had to make them up on the "bad weather make up days". Somehow the school squeezed in an extra 5 minutes every day to cover it.
gabehcoud
In lieu of raises
wangus12
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Add Plano to the closed list.
Plano needs to gtfo out of Collin Co.
wangus12
AG
Roads were clear and empty on my commute in.
FTAG 2000
AG
Pool glazed over during the night, but the antifreeze water bottles protected the skimmers.

Freeze miser also looks to be doing well in this weather.
Goose
AG
Follow the money yall. Anything that even might affect daily average attendance is going to get the utmost scrutiny. Easier to just close schools for the day rather than risk extremely low attendance even for a day.
duck79
AG
Ice has now glazed over my tanning ledge and around the outskirts of the pool. I broke it up with a 2x4 and I've poured some hot water in the ledge are to help break that up if even for a second. My stepped spillover from the hot tub is iced over and I was considering uncovering my heater and running the spa for a bit to heat up the water and let it spill over. My water temp is currently 32 and the sun will start hitting it shortly. Is it worth it to try and get my spa water up to 40 and let it spill over or should I just leave everything till we get above freezing in 24hrs?
a.froman
AG
What will be interesting to see if they close tomorrow? Temps will still be in the teens in the morning.
FTAG 2000
AG
duck79 said:

Ice has now glazed over my tanning ledge and around the outskirts of the pool. I broke it up with a 2x4 and I've poured some hot water in the ledge are to help break that up if even for a second. My stepped spillover from the hot tub is iced over and I was considering uncovering my heater and running the spa for a bit to heat up the water and let it spill over. My water temp is currently 32 and the sun will start hitting it shortly. Is it worth it to try and get my spa water up to 40 and let it spill over or should I just leave everything till we get above freezing in 24hrs?

Check the manual for your heater.

Mine says not to run it for a length of time if the air temperature is below 50 degrees. That it would cause condensation inside the heater and rust out the interior.

Think you are better off letting the sun do the work, but also break up the ice when the suns on it so it can melt more of it.
duck79
AG
Good advice. Thank you.
Robert C. Christian
AG
a.froman said:

What will be interesting to see if they close tomorrow? Temps will still be in the teens in the morning.
It is going to be 45 and sunny so, they probably will.
riverrataggie
AG
I'm planning on another school closing for nice weather day.
_lefraud_
AG
If there is anything worse than schools closing for the day, it's people *****ing about schools closing for the day.

Go enjoy the day with your kids.
a.froman
AG
Robert C. Christian said:

a.froman said:

It is going to be 45 and sunny so, they probably will.
Not in the morning when little Johnny and Suzy have to get to school. Hell, it is sunny this afternoon.
PatAg
AG
_lefraud_ said:

If there is anything worse than schools closing for the day, it's people *****ing about schools closing for the day.

Go enjoy the day with your kids.
Think you identified the problem
Ol Jock 99
AG
DISD is open tomorrow. Campuses to open their doors 30 min early.
_lefraud_
AG
Families managed just fine without babysi…I mean schools for thousands of years. Surely, we can figure it out for a day or two.
Decay
AG
So it looks like we're pretty much done with any winter effects. Any other events in the forecast?
mAgnoliAg
AG
Decay said:

So it looks like we're pretty much done with any winter effects. Any other events in the forecast?

It's only January 16
duck79
AG
Exactly. Let's get through another 6 weeks before looking whether we are done with potential ice events.
Robert C. Christian
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Families managed just fine without babysi…I mean schools for thousands of years. Surely, we can figure it out for a day or two.
You really want to get into the breakdown of the single income family in American? Seems like a different thread.
Decay
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

Decay said:

It's only January 16

I meant for this storm.

Obviously more can come... That's why I asked...
Yesterday
AG
**** the kids!
Yesterday
AG
Figuratively, of course
T dizl televizl
FTAG 2000
AG
Decay said:

mAgnoliAg said:

Decay said:

It's only January 16

I meant for this storm.

Obviously more can come... That's why I asked...

Tomorrow will be colder than it was this morning. But no more winter precip. And we get above freezing noon or in the afternoon tomorrow and have a chance to thaw out.

Big rain event looks on the horizon for next week, though it'll be warmer.

As to winter, we're in an El Nino cycle. Odds are we have another significant cold snap next month.

Decay
AG
Cool thanks

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.