Metroplex
Sponsored by

Winter Storm Thread

123,542 Views | 1272 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Decay
EastSideAg2002
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FTAG 2000 said:

Decay said:

mAgnoliAg said:

Decay said:

So it looks like we're pretty much done with any winter effects. Any other events in the forecast?

It's only January 16

I meant for this storm.

Obviously more can come... That's why I asked...

Tomorrow will be colder than it was this morning. But no more winter precip. And we get above freezing noon or in the afternoon tomorrow and have a chance to thaw out.

Big rain event looks on the horizon for next week, though it'll be warmer.

As to winter, we're in an El Nino cycle. Odds are we have another significant cold snap next month.

FTAG 2000
AG
Freeze misers have held up well for us. I'm a believer.

I've got two neighbors with no water asking for guidance on what to do. It's all PEX plumbing. What should : shouldn't they be doing today?
Coates
FTAG 2000 said:

Freeze misers have held up well for us. I'm a believer.

I've got two neighbors with no water asking for guidance on what to do. It's all PEX plumbing. What should : shouldn't they be doing today?

I had pex freeze in 2021, I called the guy who did the work and he said to run the water and it would thaw. Worked for me. He said I may need to use a hair dryer, but it was piping that was in the attic and against the roofline so I couldn't reach with a dryer.

Running the warm water took a while, but eventually thawed and no issues since.
FTAG 2000
AG
Thanks.

Ol Jock 99
AG
I talked with a friend of mine who grew up in Upstate New York and the subject of school closures came up.

"We never cancelled for snow. Ever. Could be 3 feet. Didn't matter. You had to know how to put on a snowsuit to start Kinder. HOWEVER, we did cancel for super cold temps. Snow is fine; frostbite isn't."

Our wind chills yesterday were single digits and below. So....makes more sense now.
Yesterday
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

I talked with a friend of mine who grew up in Upstate New York and the subject of school closures came up.

"We never cancelled for snow. Ever. Could be 3 feet. Didn't matter. You had to know how to put on a snowsuit to start Kinder. HOWEVER, we did cancel for super cold temps. Snow is fine; frostbite isn't."

Our wind chills yesterday were single digits and below. So....makes more sense now.
No it doesn't. Plenty of schools were back yesterday. I volunteered to help the car line. It was cold but kids were more than fine.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Coates
Yesterday said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

No it doesn't. Plenty of schools were back yesterday. I volunteered to help the car line. It was cold but kids were more than fine.

Think it had to do with kids who walk to school/wait for the bus in the morning vs getting out of the car.
Yesterday
AG
Coates said:

Yesterday said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

Think it had to do with kids who walk to school/wait for the bus in the morning vs getting out of the car.

My kids rode the bus. My point is I was outside the whole time and it was cold but no casualties or even a runny nose.
Coates
Yesterday said:

Coates said:

Yesterday said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

My kids rode the bus. My point is I was outside the whole time and it was cold but no casualties or even a runny nose.

I get it, and we're all glad you didn't die. I think the school districts may have had children in mind when they made the decision. Some who walk to school may not have proper winter clothes for wind chill below zero.

I would have preferred they be open yesterday too or at least a delayed start, but it was only one day.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Quote:

• Generally speaking, it'll take hours -- if at all -- for frostbite to kick in when the temperature is 10 degrees or higher, no matter the wind speed.

https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/how-long-does-it-take-to-get-frostbite-chart

There was never any danger of any cold related problems. People might be uncomfortable for a while but they wouldn't be subject to any risk.
CashinOut
AG
Yesterday said:

Coates said:

Yesterday said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

What were you wearing working in the car line? I had a kid come to school today without a jacket so he could let his little brother borrow it and not be cold. Most of the districts that closed were probably lower income districts. Not ones with kids that can afford multiple Columbia jackets and snow suits.
Yesterday
AG
CashinOut said:

Yesterday said:

Coates said:

Yesterday said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

What were you wearing working in the car line? I had a kid come to school today without a jacket so he could let his little brother borrow it and not be cold. Most of the districts that closed were probably lower income districts. Not ones with kids that can afford multiple Columbia jackets and snow suits.

Sounds like they were safer in school then. Shame on anyone denying them that.
ac04
no, the supernintendo in each district evaluates a pie chart that indicates the brand names of the students' jackets and they make a decision. north face + patagonia + columbia > 50% and all their asses are 100% going to school.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
What school? I worked the car line Tuesday and yesterday… haha I see what I just did there
FTAG 2000
AG
Looks like we might catch some freezing rain Sunday night at the start of the weather rolling I. Doubt it sticks with all the rain coming after but just a heads up.
fc2112
So when is everyone firing your pool back up? i put plugs back in this morning but am hesitant to turn back on since hard freezes are expected this weekend.
Yesterday
AG
fc2112 said:

So when is everyone firing your pool back up? i put plugs back in this morning but am hesitant to turn back on since hard freezes are expected this weekend.
I'm not doing it until next week. Nothing grows in this temperature water anyhow so no worry of it turning green.
bert harbinson
AG
Electrician coming out tomorrow to address loss of power to the pool. May be a while before I can fire it up as it appears to be underground wiring gone bad.
planoaggie123
AG
Leaving mine off...i don't anticipate turning mine back on until Tues night or Wed but rain will have a say in my timing....
Decay
AG
Wasn't this weekend supposed to be in the 50's? The forecast temps are plummeting
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Went to check outside faucets yesterday evening to run them and I was shocked to find that my wife left the cover off the one by our above ground planter boxes. She said that she put a little water on her lettuce and broccoli before covering them for the freeze however she never put the cover back on. Luckily it worked with no issue but come on woman!
Robert C. Christian
AG
Decay said:

Wasn't this weekend supposed to be in the 50's? The forecast temps are plummeting
No, yesterday was the warm day. Today wasn't getting much above freezing, tomorrow is cold. Then the rain starts.
PatAg
AG
Robert C. Christian said:

Decay said:

No, yesterday was the warm day. Today wasn't getting much above freezing, tomorrow is cold. Then the rain starts.
yea its been forecast to have gotten cold again for a while, even the 'locals' had it forecast. scumbag locals
bert harbinson
AG
bert harbinson said:

Electrician coming out tomorrow to address loss of power to the pool. May be a while before I can fire it up as it appears to be underground wiring gone bad.

Electrician pulled new wires, everything working. Didn't think they'd do the work the same day. Tempted to drain it again looking at the forecast.
planoaggie123
AG
If pool is running fine and you made it through the last stretch then you should just keep going. This is a less extreme period but def your call.
bert harbinson
AG
Yeah, I'll leave it running. Got green water to shock and filter.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Heads up Sunday night:

AW 1880
AG
Went to check the chemicals in my hot tub, and it wasn't working. The water was warm but no power. Turns out a rodent chew through the control panel wire. I had the joy of winterizing a hot tub with it 25 degrees outside. Let's hope I drained it thoroughly.
fc2112
AW 1880 said:

Went to check the chemicals in my hot tub, and it wasn't working. The water was warm but no power. Turns out a rodent chew through the control panel wire. I had the joy of winterizing a hot tub with it 25 degrees outside. Let's hope I drained it thoroughly.
This is why, when in doubt, I winterize if it's going to be this cold. It's always some damned thing that has me out there draining pumps in 20 degree weather.
FTAG 2000
AG

Heads up Sunday night:

We'll be getting a winter weather advisory for Sunday nice freezing rain and ice. If you have to travel Monday morning start thinking about a delayed start
DallasAggie89
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

Heads up Sunday night:

We'll be getting a winter weather advisory for Sunday nice freezing rain and ice. If you have to travel Monday morning start thinking about a delayed start

Lowest overnight hourly temperature I see that night is 31. This isn't freezing.

Everyone carry on.
riverrataggie
AG
Likely more to happen north/northwest of metroplex at this time. Those in metroplex likely just cold rain. Unless something changes.

That said lower 30 degree rain is miserable
Robert C. Christian
AG
riverrataggie said:

Likely more to happen north/northwest of metroplex at this time. Those in metroplex likely just cold rain. Unless something changes.

That said lower 30 degree rain is miserable
As an attendee of the Umass game in 2022, I can confirm that it does suck.
riverrataggie
AG
Office just closed tomorrow due to severe weather. lol. What happens when it's actually severe?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.