Metroplex
Sponsored by

Winter Storm Thread

122,385 Views | 1272 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Decay
FTAG 2000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Models also hinting at another round of precip on Monday night. Too early to say for sure, just an early trend to watch.
FTAco07
AG
The Lakewood hail last night was gnarly. My wife woke me up at midnight and it was as loud of hail as I've heard for about 20 minutes. No damage as best I can tell other than a wife that didn't sleep much last night.
TXAGGIES
Does anyone actually cover their pool equipment? I have a freeze seniors so it will run as long we will keep power. does a tarp or blanket over it really do any good?
akaggie05
AG
I throw a tarp over my pool equipment pad with a 100W lamp underneath. Have had issues in the past with random small lines freezing up (valve on in-line chlorinator for one). Also makes it easier to get to the plugs for an emergency drain operation if necessary and not have to clear a bunch of ice/snow.
TXAGGIES
Guess I run out and grab a tarp
planoaggie123
AG
I use a large blue tarp over my equipment. Never done towels etc but may this time. I am shutting down but will just be to limit impact on the PVC pipes.

Obvious statement but be sure it doesn't lay flat on your pump motor....need some way to keep it elevated above...the motors put out some heat so dont want an issue there....
TXAGGIES
My DE filter will create enough space
FTAG 2000
AG
TXAGGIES said:

Does anyone actually cover their pool equipment? I have a freeze seniors so it will run as long we will keep power. does a tarp or blanket over it really do any good?

Have heat cable all along pipes. Toss tarp over to keep precip off too.
planoaggie123
AG
Yup. my DE Filter and my in-line Chlroinator are my "high points" to keep the tarp over equipment. I have a fence surrounding and i actually just use large binder clips haha
TXAGGIES
Do you guys also have you temperature senor under the tarp? Does this negatively impact the pool pipes if the temperature is freezing but under the tarp it shows 40 degrees? I am thinking about the water features we have, I assume those would freeze, or is there enough room for them to expand without bursting?

Or do you manually have it running?

BenFiasco14
AG
I need to stop reading this thread. I'm so terrified.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Absolute
AG
I don't rely on the temperature sensor. I just alter the program to run constantly. Easy enough and removes a variable.

Typically I haven't covered mine. But was going to tonight. Just a loose tarp to keep it clear. Not really trying to insulate or anything.
dgb99
AG
I've done the tarp thing a few times before including snowmageddon 2021. Mainly for what others said of being able to have access to drain and/or put a propane heater in there if we did lose power. I don't recall it ever getting warm enough to trip the freeze protection off.

However, when we are going to have an extended freezing period (especially down to single digits or teens), I will try to remember to clear out all programs on my system and just leave the main pump on constantly on low speed.

Both the tarp and leaving the system on 24/7 instead of relying on freeze protection to keep it on are lessons learned from previous ice storms.

For this particular freeze, I do not plan to do the tarp (although I may reevaluate tomorrow depending on updated rain/ice/snow forecast) but do plan on clearing programs and setting to run 24/7 starting tomorrow night.
Oh no, we suck again?
AG
For my pool, I run my heater on the lowest temp possible, lean-to tarp the equip as I have a fence next to it, and lay moving blankets across all the pipes. The heater is 4ish feet from edge of tarp and on the north side of equipment so the exhaust, in effect, blows under the tarp to add to the heat envelope. Worked in 2021 and last year with no problems; talked to my pool guy this morning about it and he says lots of folks do similar.
AustinCountyAg
Pepper Brooks
AG
Coates said:

FTAG 2000 said:

AggieMPH2005 said:

Everything I am seeing has the highs well above freezing every day. As long as that remains the case what do we have to worry about other than the predicted rain on Friday before the freeze?

The only thing I am worried about so far is my staff and patients calling in on Friday due to the hype.

* I am not a weather nerd so if there is a good weather resource predicting doom let me know

Find POW Ponder on Facebook and YouTube.

He's not a doom and gloomier but he uses other weather models besides just the ones all the local tv Mets use. Theirs (GFS) only resolves well about 48 hours and in.

For example there's two other models that handle arctic air masses better and further out. The ICON and the Canadian meteorological model.

Both of those predicted 2021 snowmageddon over a week out while the locals didnt until about 36 hours out from the start. Those models also pegged the cold last December when the locals were still predicting mild weather in the 60s.

Those two models have us getting mixed precip this Friday, then rapid cooling, staying below freezing all weekend and another storm on Monday giving us more snow and ice and staying below freezing much of next week.

Highly recommend POW as he does a good job distilling the models down to layman's terms, and if you follow him you won't be surprised by some of the weather that hits, especially in winter.

When was the last time you've been surprised by weather in the winter? There hadn't been a snow or ice storm out of the blue. All the POWs of the world just look at the most extreme models, and they're correct once in a while.

If he's actually calling for next week to be below freezing for mkst of the week as you say he may need a new hobby.

Bump
ā€œThere is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.ā€

ā€œAs government expands, Liberty contractsā€ - R. Reagan
FTAG 2000
AG
Can confirm Pow will not be changing his hobby.
Coates
Pepper Brooks said:

Coates said:

FTAG 2000 said:

AggieMPH2005 said:

Everything I am seeing has the highs well above freezing every day. As long as that remains the case what do we have to worry about other than the predicted rain on Friday before the freeze?

The only thing I am worried about so far is my staff and patients calling in on Friday due to the hype.

* I am not a weather nerd so if there is a good weather resource predicting doom let me know

He's not a doom and gloomier but he uses other weather models besides just the ones all the local tv Mets use. Theirs (GFS) only resolves well about 48 hours and in.

For example there's two other models that handle arctic air masses better and further out. The ICON and the Canadian meteorological model.

Both of those predicted 2021 snowmageddon over a week out while the locals didnt until about 36 hours out from the start. Those models also pegged the cold last December when the locals were still predicting mild weather in the 60s.

Those two models have us getting mixed precip this Friday, then rapid cooling, staying below freezing all weekend and another storm on Monday giving us more snow and ice and staying below freezing much of next week.

Highly recommend POW as he does a good job distilling the models down to layman's terms, and if you follow him you won't be surprised by some of the weather that hits, especially in winter.

When was the last time you've been surprised by weather in the winter? There hadn't been a snow or ice storm out of the blue. All the POWs of the world just look at the most extreme models, and they're correct once in a while.

If he's actually calling for next week to be below freezing for mkst of the week as you say he may need a new hobby.

Bump

Had a few items right and few wrong:

Also, all of the local meteorologists have been on this all week, so not sure how anyone would be 'surprised' by the weather. Guess I don't get the hate for local guys, just because they aren't accurate 10 days out?
planoaggie123
AG
Why run the heater? I have heard that is a bad idea but I also know there are a lot of different opinions on a lot of subjects when it comes to pools...including freezing weather. Is the idea just to keep the heater going or are you trying to keep water warm even though it is moving?
FTAG 2000
AG
Coates said:

Pepper Brooks said:

Coates said:

FTAG 2000 said:

AggieMPH2005 said:

Bump

Had a few items right and few wrong:

Also, all of the local meteorologists have been on this all week, so not sure how anyone would be 'surprised' by the weather. Guess I don't get the hate for local guys, just because they aren't accurate 10 days out?

Ah pretty sure you brought the hate last week for anyone not on TV.

I don't hate the tv guys. I do hate that they cling to weather models that only come into range and accuracy 72 hours out and have notorious flaws instead of stepping back and looking at the other global models with better handling of things like Canadian cold.

But i get it. They get destroyed on social media if they are wrong so they all just stick to the same models that show the same thing on the same timelines. They freely admit it.
Oh no, we suck again?
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Why run the heater? I have heard that is a bad idea but I also know there are a lot of different opinions on a lot of subjects when it comes to pools...including freezing weather. Is the idea just to keep the heater going or are you trying to keep water warm even though it is moving?

More of a preventative for if there's any loss of power so as to keep things warm enough to prevent anything from bursting until power comes back.
FTAG 2000
AG
North Texas will be getting a winter storm watch for Sunday - Monday. Not sure when they will issue it. Hopefully tomorrow to give the Coates of the world time to go shopping.
TXAGGIES
Oh no, we suck again? said:

planoaggie123 said:

More of a preventative for if there's any loss of power so as to keep things warm enough to prevent anything from bursting until power comes back.

I have a cart buddy propane heater so if power does go out ill break that out for a day 2 max as i only have 6;mini tanks here
Coates
FTAG 2000 said:

North Texas will be getting a winter storm watch for Sunday - Monday. Not sure when they will issue it. Hopefully tomorrow to give the Coates of the world time to go shopping.

Shopping for what? Is the storm of the century coming?
FTAG 2000
AG
Lows in Montana have already busted forecast, and it's not the lowest it will get tonight. Seeing similar in South Dakota, Nebraska, and Kansas.

So it's coming in colder than forecast, and it looks like the deep cold is ahead of forecast. TV mets are talking 6 PM tomorrow for below freezing, think we will get there before that.

FTAG 2000
AG
Coates said:

FTAG 2000 said:

LOL. Last week it was "if anyone is predicting it to be below freezing much of the week, y'all should give up your weather hobbies."

Now that's bearing out, we've moved onto it needing to be the storm of the century.

Looks like that shopping list might need to include some vagisil.

Coates
FTAG 2000 said:

Coates said:

FTAG 2000 said:

LOL. Last week it was "if anyone is predicting it to be below freezing much of the week, y'all should give up your weather hobbies."

Now that's bearing out, we've moved onto it needing to be the storm of the century.

Looks like that shopping list might need to include some vagisil.

Is next week below freezing for most of the week? How's your forecast of wintery mix tonight?

Again, what do I need to buy for a couple days of cold weather? You're acting like it's freaking Armageddon, it's cold weather that north texas sees every few years.

To quote a moron "lighten up francis"
FTAG 2000
AG
I feel sorry for ya. Shared info in plenty of time to prepare. You talked **** about it. Now it's here. And yeah, five days in a row below freezing constitutes a majority of next week below freezing.

Let's hope the grid holds up.

Buy what you want or don't. It matters not to me. Just sit at home and eat Cheetos in your bean bag chair and mutter about someone on the internet not putting up with your trolling. Sure it'll work out great for you.
Coates
Yes, you shared lots of info. Including how everything was going to be worse, with ice friday and Saturday, and no temps above freezing until next Sunday.

May need more wine, good call. I'll go to the store tomorrow afternoon.
TAMUallen
AG
Coates said:

Yes, you shared lots of info. Including how everything was going to be worse, with ice friday and Saturday, and no temps above freezing until next Sunday.

May need more wine, good call. I'll go to the store tomorrow afternoon.

I don't like your posts here
FTAG 2000
AG
Back to weather. Front is already into Oklahoma. Wasn't supposed to be there until tomorrow morning.

System is over performing. Going to be colder and winder. Sooner tomorrow than expected.
T dizl televizl
AG
Not sure why you have to be a dick
fc2112
Things are now showing front coming through mid-afternoon. And it'll be COLD!

Precipitation? Just a chance of "wintery mix" early Monday.

I'm frankly hoping for a sheet of ice so I can work from home, but we'll see.
Robert C. Christian
AG
fc2112 said:

Things are now showing front coming through mid-afternoon. And it'll be COLD!

Precipitation? Just a chance of "wintery mix" early Monday.

I'm frankly hoping for a sheet of ice so I can work from home, but we'll see.

Pass on ice, need the kids back in school. I like working from home but with younger kids there isn't much "work" happening.
Coates
T dizl televizl said:

Not sure why you have to be a dick

Haha, first I get called out, then told to sit in my bean bag chair and eat doritos. I didn't say anything personal in my responses, yet I'm the dick?

Didn't realize cold weather was so touchy to you people. Good luck with your panic shopping, draining your pools, and living in your bunkers. I hope we all somehow survive this 2 or 3 days of chilly weather.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.