Metroplex
Sponsored by

Winter Storm Thread

123,547 Views | 1272 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Decay
ftworthag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
definitely not! Landscaper
riverrataggie
AG
Time to start a spring storm thread?
AgsWin2011
AG
riverrataggie said:

Time to start a spring storm thread?

Definitely looking that way. Although today is just fake spring being nearly 90, we'll probably get another cold snap in March/April.
riverrataggie
AG
Likely snow on st paddy's.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Crazy wind
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Quite blustery. The kids don't want to go to sleep because of it either.
mAgnoliAg
AG
They must know the storm we are about to get however quick it will be
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
I mean it shows the worst of it will be between 1-2am
mAgnoliAg
AG
Whatever it is is gonna move through here in Fort Worth in about 30 minutes looking at the radar
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
114 mph wind in Memphis, Tx

https://www.facebook.com/100044348770178/posts/pfbid02Zh6yAWd9jMFCwznyigeP6pq4oMENSf2CajRuCdPbRRtTVFH7kDrSjsfQHbTwrGQel/?mibextid=tejx2t
wangus12
AG
Wind was nuts last night
AG
strong enough to knock a traffic light down at hillcrest and forest last night
mAgnoliAg
AG
Big storms for Thursday?
harge57
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

Big storms for Thursday?

Likely somewhere. Hopefully it misses us.
riverrataggie
AG
Did they change the definition of severe Thunderstorm?

It seems recently over the past several year any thunderstorm is now considered severe. I can't recall a day of storms that didn't have a risk of being severe.

Maybe they changed the risk level?
fka ftc
Others will know better. But I think they added some automatic triggers. So hail reported or winds over XX reported will tick it over to severe. Believe judgment may have been more of a factor previously.
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
YouBet
AG
riverrataggie said:

It seems recently over the past several year any thunderstorm is now considered severe. I can't recall a day of storms that didn't have a risk of being severe.

We are now naming storms (not hurricanes). Part of this is simply marketing to create drama, eyeballs, and clicks.
GarlandAg2012
AG
YouBet said:

riverrataggie said:

We are now naming storms (not hurricanes). Part of this is simply marketing to create drama, eyeballs, and clicks.

Or to create engagement to get people to pay attention and stay safe. Depends who you ask.
riverrataggie
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

YouBet said:

riverrataggie said:

Or to create engagement to get people to pay attention and stay safe. Depends who you ask.

Eh when you classify everything as severe and it's weekly, then nothing is severe.
GarlandAg2012
AG
I think it's far from weekly. And if it were truly oversaturating people, it wouldn't get high ratings. It isn't logical to say they're just doing it for ratings AND it's so frequent no one pays attention.
fka ftc
GarlandAg2012 said:

I think it's far from weekly. And if it were truly oversaturating people, it wouldn't get high ratings. It isn't logical to say they're just doing it for ratings AND it's so frequent no one pays attention.
Not sure ratings have anything to do with it when the live breaking coverage interrupts the show or game you are watching.

I get your point. But I think its about driving clicks to them and their social outlets which in turn drives ad revenue - always back to the money. But same principle you laid out.

Oversaturation is real and it can be dangerous with weather (and Amber alerts). I'll try and do some research and post back on what has changed.

For the uber curious, I would think the storm2k folks would have some ideas if it has not already been discussed.
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
coastalAg
AG
Looks like things are going to get spicy on Thursday.

bert harbinson
AG
riverrataggie said:

GarlandAg2012 said:

YouBet said:

riverrataggie said:

Eh when you classify everything as severe and it's weekly, then nothing is severe.

Everything is severe and we're all going to die. That's how all news is these days.
riverrataggie
AG
bert harbinson said:

riverrataggie said:

GarlandAg2012 said:

YouBet said:

riverrataggie said:

Everything is severe and we're all going to die. That's how all news is these days.

I really don't want to die again though. The handful of times it's happened was really hard on me.
wangus12
AG
bert harbinson said:

riverrataggie said:

GarlandAg2012 said:

YouBet said:

riverrataggie said:

Hell thats how half of TexAgs is these days
tysker
AG
YouBet said:

riverrataggie said:

List of storm names to be used this season: Generac, Briggs, Stratton, Champion, Honda
Carlo4
AG
1 year old woke up screaming as she has not heard loud thunder like that. Pea size hail for about 3-4 minutes twice this morning out in south west FW area.

zag213004
AG

The level 4 risk has spread westward
double aught
AG
It only hails when I'm at work and my car isn't in a garage.
Spaceship
AG
Man I got stuck in the most insane hail storm on I-45 in Hutchins this morning. Everyone was down to 15 mph with their hazards on and for a stretch I couldn't see the lines on the road. It came out of nowhere.
91AggieLawyer
AG
I'm going to start documenting what is predicted, and a thread like this is as good as any.

This is the forecast from Fox4 (DFW):

-- 9 pm 3/1
-- 3/2 storms will bring "high winds, hail, and the possibility of a tornado"
-- isolated supercells in first stage early afternoon
-- second stage much more widespread later in day
-- 90% chance of rain
-- 45% chance of high winds
-- 30% chance of hail (up to egg size)
-- 10% chance of tornado (15% east of DFW)
-- percentages are all in the county you're in (whatever that means)
GentrysMillTX10
AG
Is it just me or was the hail yesterday morning (3/1) completely unexpected? We live in Godley, which is far northwest Johnson county. My phone (weather channel app) was just saying rain showers as the first round of hail fell. My phone finally said severe thunderstorm warning 2 minutes into the second round of hail.
FTAG 2000
AG
There was a chance of hail yesterday, the national weather service called it well ahead. Be grumpy the local Mets checked out on the risk.

I think a lot of them were looking ahead to today.

Today has significant risk. Looks like a big hail and wind day, and someone's going to get tornados too (twisters look more of a risk east of DFW but if the system slows down that brings the metro into play).

If storms don't get here until after say 6pm, tornado risk is greatly boosted. Earlier, big hail and strong wind will be primary problems.
FTAG 2000
AG
Observed and models are coming in hot for today.

Storms could be developing early afternoon in the west and southwest of the metroplex, with tornado thread present mid afternoon and onward.
coastalAg
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.