Metroplex
Sponsored by

Winter Storm Thread

123,568 Views | 1272 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Decay
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Oh yea I forgot he went from Prosper to PCA.
falconace
Took the family to dinner at the gin tonight to get out of the house.

I also regularly drive my golf cart to the gin.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
From where?
falconace
Saddle Creek. However, my GC is classified as a Neighborhood Electric Vehicle so it has real license plates and a registration sticker. Lets me drive it on any road 45 mph or less (and can cross a road of any speed) which basically gets me anywhere in Prosper.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Uhhh registered in Texas is for 35mph and less not 45 lol
falconace
Yep. If I didn't have the nev classification it wouldn't make sense to have based on where the neighborhood is.

I was pulled over once (on a beer run to Kroger) and the cop told me I couldn't drive on prosper trail. When I spoke to a shift supervisor they apologized and said they'd educate all the officers. Haven't had an issue since.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Prosper Trail is 45mph so we cannot drive on there. Law is 35 and under. I'm confused
DannyDuberstein
AG
Plano ISD cancels. Prepare for planoag to lose his mind
Teacher_Ag
AG
McKinney, Prosper, Celina ISDs all closed Fri
falconace
PrestigeWorldwideAg12 said:

Prosper Trail is 45mph so we cannot drive on there. Law is 35 and under. I'm confused

Correct for a regular golf cart. Mine is classified as a neighborhood electric vehicle and is registered with the state that way. I have license plates that are the same size as the ones in my truck. I have to renew the registration and put a new sticker on the windshield each year. The state considers it an electric vehicle. https://law.justia.com/codes/texas/2019/transportation-code/title-7/subtitle-c/chapter-551/subchapter-d/section-551-303/
Coates
Richardson closed as well, d!cks
AggieMPH2005
LISD just changed their minds from delayed start to closed. I am assuming it's because they had a bunch of call ins after announcing the delayed start. I drove around today and it wasn't bad other than parking lots.

Don't really get being closed tomorrow at this point.
Pepper Brooks
AG
Lewisville is closed. It sounds like the supers coordinated based on the language.
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

“As government expands, Liberty contracts” - R. Reagan
Scriffer
AG
Hello darkness my old friend...
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, with timing, they all coordinated. Fine now, but wet out and temp is gonna drop to 25-26. It's gonna be one of those days that may be briefly dangerous on residential when the buses need to be running (and when teachers need to be walking from slick parking lots into school) at 6-7am followed by a beautiful day. The forecast is for tons of parent biching by mid-morning and into the afternoon.
Yesterday
AG
Southlake still delayed. Crossing fingers.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Anyone who can pull off a delay should stick with it.
Oh no, we suck again?
AG
Denton pulled the trigger too; absolutely ridiculous and I don't know how they make up the days at this point.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Jimbo Finisher said:

Denton pulled the trigger too; absolutely ridiculous and I don't know how they make up the days at this point.

They won't. Schools will use the 2 makeup days they usually build into the schedule and the state will give them a pass on the rest. Has happened before
planoaggie123
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Plano ISD cancels. Prepare for planoag to lose his mind

I AM PISSED.

lol. Stinks for kids. Heck, even in Plano a good number of kids have a better life at school than home. Better food. Etc.

For parents, many have to go to work tomorrow and will have to burn PTO etc.

Personally, think this was a bad decision but I am not the one making the calls. I just deal with restless kids and wife.
Spaceship
AG
What do y'all think road conditions will look like early tomorrow morning after today's rain?
Robert C. Christian
AG
Every school canceled so they will be perfectly fine.
FTAG 2000
AG
falconace said:

Yep. If I didn't have the nev classification it wouldn't make sense to have based on where the neighborhood is.

I was pulled over once (on a beer run to Kroger) and the cop told me I couldn't drive on prosper trail. When I spoke to a shift supervisor they apologized and said they'd educate all the officers. Haven't had an issue since.

This doesn't sound right. NEVs can cross a road with 45 mph speed limit but are still limited to 35 and under roads for travel. I don't see how you are driving on prosper trail.
mavsfan4ever
AG
I'm going to guess that the guy who actually has the NEV knows what he's talking about.

First Google hit:

Under the NEV statute, NEVs may operate on Texas streets or highways with speed limits of 45 mph or less and may cross streets with speed limits that exceed 45 mph (11).
91AggieLawyer
AG
AggieMPH2005 said:

LISD just changed their minds from delayed start to closed. I am assuming it's because they had a bunch of call ins after announcing the delayed start. I drove around today and it wasn't bad other than parking lots.

Don't really get being closed tomorrow at this point.

The reason schools aren't doing delayed starts is that with delayed starts, they'd get far under regular attendance numbers. With no school, they either have make up days later, some already built in to the calendar as snow days while others take the place of scheduled holidays like Good Friday. Or, they've added hours to the school day like the legislature (or TEA, I forget which; maybe TEA based on the legislature) said they could about 3 years ago which allows them to not have to make up a certain number of missed days due to weather. Anyway, late starts cause less attendance, more busing issues, and less money for the district. Made up days are much more like normal days and the added hours are an everyday thing -- nothing gets missed.

Late start tomorrow would be ideal based on the forecast but given school districts' beholdeness (if you will) to money, it won't happen in most situations.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
That's what I'm saying
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Per TXDMV, they can cross a street with 45mph speed limit UNLESS local city is against if
falconace
They have to be registered as an nev. No registration, they are basically golf carts. The dps was confused at first as well when I registered it.

I had no idea so many of us were up here. We should do a texags meet up at the gin. I'll drive the nev there.
Pepper Brooks
AG
Yeah, they didn't hide it. Timing or not.

"Despite our best efforts and desire to open school, due to continued overnight weather concerns and in coordination with the majority of our surrounding districts, the decision has been made to close LISD campuses and facilities on Friday, February 3.

We know this change of plans after our earlier announcement may create challenges for our families. But we are ONELISD, and our decisions must take into consideration our 70+ campuses, as well as the 50,000 students and 6,500 staff members who comprise our district.

LISD maintains a list of resources for families at LISD.net for families who may need assistance.

With roads expected to be clear in the afternoon, high school after school events will still occur as scheduled. Most middle school after school activities are canceled, with a few exceptions. Coaches, directors and sponsors will communicate with their students about practices and other scheduling.

The district will communicate soon about plans to make up missed days. Stay tuned for additional information. We look forward to seeing you on Monday. "
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

“As government expands, Liberty contracts” - R. Reagan
ChoppinDs40
AG

Lilyana.

We are over here near the school. Lol yea and you got the new "Jeep"

Hey, a jeep is a jeep

I did sell my CJ7 though and bought a travel trailer. True family man now.
ChoppinDs40
AG
falconace said:

They have to be registered as an nev. No registration, they are basically golf carts. The dps was confused at first as well when I registered it.

I had no idea so many of us were up here. We should do a texags meet up at the gin. I'll drive the nev there.

I'll be damned. https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/unique-vehicles

Special insurance you have to get on that thing?

Saddle Creek to Kroger is an easy little jaunt. We're a bit far over here in ST.
mavsfan4ever
AG

Per TXDMV, they can cross a street with 45mph speed limit UNLESS local city is against if

They can drive on streets of 45 mph or less. It's not just crossing a street of 45 mph or less. See section 551 subchapter D of the Texas transportation code.

Yes there is a provision stating that a county can prohibit NEVs on certain streets if it finds its in the interest of safety. But that doesn't mean they can just randomly start prohibiting it and cops can give tickets for it. They'd have to enact a local ordinance or something like that.
91AggieLawyer
AG
So is this the last weather event of the season? Long range (month) forecast from weather.com has the rest of February in the 60s (high). I know that is likely to be off but I'm guessing they're not seeing any arctic fronts in any computer models which would bring what brought us this week.

Now, we have thunderstorms and tornadoes to look forward to in the next 3 months! Oh, boy.
fc2112
Once you get more than two weeks out, they just post what the averages are for that day of the year.

That being said, the cold spell in 2021 was mid February. But we would see some action up in Canada by now if there was going to be anything wild like that happen again. Places in northern Canada that are around -10F right now saw -60F during that event.
Yesterday
AG
Southlake closed. Damn cowards.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.