Metroplex
Sponsored by

Winter Storm Thread

123,560 Views | 1272 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Decay
fc2112
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So I drain my pool equipment because I don't trust the system to work right when it gets this cold.

Look what happened when this guy tried turning on his frozen system after he thought he'd "thawed" it.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/pool-pump-equipment-explodes-plano-texas-frozen-solid/287-ca5a2c01-fc19-4865-942f-b87ca5e625ac?fbclid=IwAR1Emv4kC_5B6U8-5R1f6uzqTY-hxL6dQbE--C5YYB6iYoq-ckHj_iDND5k
riverrataggie
AG
That guy is really lucky. For those who did drain and want to start it back up. Wait till things are completely thawed. Ice can easily trap air which if enough can create things like what you saw just saw.
Tuve
White Settlement, Fort Worth and TCU closes schools for tomorrow
YouBet
AG
CLOSED.
Matsui
AG
Drove all over ftw today. I don't understand it.
Yesterday
AG
Matsui said:

Sure you do. Any reason to close schools teachers take it. And miraculously they won't have to make it up.
Tuve
Dallas ISD now closes. Expect many of the smaller districts to follow now
riverrataggie
AG
I'm prepping schools will be closed through end of week.
BenFiasco14
AG
Yesterday said:

Matsui said:

Sure you do. Any reason to close schools teachers take it. And miraculously they won't have to make it up.

Oh boy I for one am here for the winter weather thread to turn into a teachers thread
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
AggieFactor
AG
RIchardson has done so as well. They had already made this decision this morning. There is no way someone can drive around right now and be like "yeah we need to close tomorrow as well".
AggieFactor
AG
RISD "Early morning temperatures and wind chills will be dangerous for students walking to school and at bus stops, RISD facilities staff anticipates the possibility of frozen or broken water pipes at some campuses, and some road conditions may be hazardous due to precipitation re-freezing overnight."

So closing because of wind chills and maintenance department incompetence.
harge57
AG
AggieFactor said:

RISD "Early morning temperatures and wind chills will be dangerous for students walking to school and at bus stops, RISD facilities staff anticipates the possibility of frozen or broken water pipes at some campuses, and some road conditions may be hazardous due to precipitation re-freezing overnight."

RISD continues its trend of terrible decision making (and following DISDs lead on everything).
FTAG 2000
AG
AggieFactor said:

Sounds like Thursday at the earliest for schools to reopen, if these are the reasons.
Decay
AG
I'm assuming it's because this is the first notable winter weather of the season. People are basically itching for any reason to cancel schools.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
"We are closed due to cold temperatures and wind until further notice"
-All north Texas ISDs probably
Spaceship
AG
I get the concept of not risking safety but this is ridiculous.
fc2112
riverrataggie
AG
So I'm hearing from someone who works with these districts anytime it's even bitter cold they will call it. They assume even one kid has to walk to school, wait on a bus, etc. and has to assume one kid doesn't have a coat or ability to bundle up.

So basically anytime it gets below a certain threshold and stays, well school will be closed.
Pepper Brooks
AG
This means daycares and child care facilities that follow the ISDs lead are closed too. This is horse*****
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

“As government expands, Liberty contracts” - R. Reagan
BenFiasco14
AG
AggieFactor said:

Man, you must really hate your kids
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
DallasAggie89
AG
Allen ISD just announced they are open.
wangus12
AG
Yesterday said:

Matsui said:

Lol you think teachers have the power to get to make the call.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Running closed list

Arlington ISD
Canton ISD
Crowley ISD
Dallas ISD
Fort Worth ISD
Forney ISD
Grand Prairie ISD
Commerce ISD
Eustace ISD
Kaufman ISD
Kemp ISD
Rains ISD
Richardson ISD

Just silly
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Prosper just announce school WILL happen tomorrow so that's solid
Absolute
AG
Just saw Texas A&M School of Dentistry on the scroll. So I guess add A&M to the wimpy list......

Glad to be emptynesting now and not worry about school decisions anymore. Though I never particularly minded when they closed the schools and I do at least approve of making a decision, either way, earlier rather than later so families can make plans. Seem to remember always having to wait until the morning of at 5am when my kids were little.
gabehcoud
Kennedale ISD closed tomorrow. There is zero snow left & there never was ice. Now I'm stuck with the damn kids for another day.
Yesterday
AG
Southlake Carroll is open baby! Let's Go!
wangus12
AG
McKinney ISD planning to be open unless something drastically changes.
Spaceship
AG
Flower Mound schools open tomorrow.
Crispin Torque
Anybody have experience with exterior faucets that you can't unfreeze?

I have three and two of them I was able to thaw out pretty easily(less than 15 minutes) by putting a propane heater on them. I have one other that I can't get to thaw out. I have had the heater on it for an hour and a half and haven't seen a drop come out.

The only thing I can think of is that the valve is broken and when I turn the handle, it's not actually opening up.

Have never had any trouble with this faucet in the past.
hbc07
AG
Started the morning out with the cold line to the kitchen sink froze (froze in 2021 and 2022 as well) along with the hots in the master bath sinks. The hots have since thawed, but I imagine the cold in the kitchen will be froze until Wednesday.
a.froman
AG
Unfortunately this is all about kids that have to wait for busses and or walk to school. Along with lower socioeconomic kids that don't have jackets is the reason. It seems crazy but this is the world we live in.
AggieFrog
AG
Aledo is open tomorrow. Only reason to be closed is the cold temperatures - the roads are completely dry.
FTAG 2000
AG
Crispin Torque said:

Anybody have experience with exterior faucets that you can't unfreeze?

I have three and two of them I was able to thaw out pretty easily(less than 15 minutes) by putting a propane heater on them. I have one other that I can't get to thaw out. I have had the heater on it for an hour and a half and haven't seen a drop come out.

The only thing I can think of is that the valve is broken and when I turn the handle, it's not actually opening up.

Have never had any trouble with this faucet in the past.

Had better luck than a heater by wrapping the faucet in towels and then taking hot water and pouring on it.

We didnt boil water but hot tap water hottest it could be, filled up a pitcher, then pour on towels. Took 3-4 pitchers to get it moving.

Crispin Torque
That's a good tip. Fortunately it started moving about 5 minutes after I posted. Must have been frozen pretty good.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.